RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

College Sports Madness Top 44
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/30/18 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
8. Maryland

Remaining teams for spots 1-7:

Notre Dame
UConn
Oregon
Baylor
Louisville
Stanford
Tennessee

No way in hell .

PostPosted: 10/30/18 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
I think Aston has taken over from McCallie as the leader of the "gets the least from the most" gang. The starting 5 would probably include Aston, McCallie, Close, Warlick, and Gustafson.

??????

She has had a lot of talent on her teams. Do you think they have performed at that level or looked particularly good?

Have players improved? As an example, does Anigwe look any better now than she did as as a freshman? I don't think so. Maybe worse.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 10/30/18 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
I think Aston has taken over from McCallie as the leader of the "gets the least from the most" gang. The starting 5 would probably include Aston, McCallie, Close, Warlick, and Gustafson.

??????

She has had a lot of talent on her teams. Do you think they have performed at that level or looked particularly good?

Have players improved? As an example, does Anigwe look any better now than she did as as a freshman? I don't think so. Maybe worse.

I'll take that as you mean to type Gottlieb?

Coyotes

PostPosted: 10/30/18 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

??????

I was going to say, I don’t think Bluder has underperformed compared to the talent she brings in. Gottlieb hasn’t had much outside of Anigwe to work with and has straddled the 25-30 range of teams. Asha Thomas has been a bright spot...but Cal has struggled to be excellent in recent years.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/30/18 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

NOOO. Megan has been quite sucky as a coach, donchya know! Razz

PostPosted: 10/30/18 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:

Yes, of course, Lindsay Gottlieb. Embarassed
Don't know what I was thinking.

Coyotes

PostPosted: 10/30/18 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

NOOO. Megan has been quite sucky as a coach, donchya know! Razz

I mean, she hasn't won a single game at the D-1 level as a coach Quite why Iowa is letting her go on her fourth year is beyond me.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/30/18 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:

Yes, of course, Lindsay Gottlieb. Embarassed
Don't know what I was thinking.

That is why I questioned it. Was not sure if you meant Lisa Bluder or Gottlieb.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 10/31/18 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

7. Tennessee

Remaining teams for spots 1-6:

Notre Dame
UConn
Oregon
Baylor
Louisville
Stanford

I'm not a Tennessee hater, but I find this ranking very surprising.

"There is some work to be done offensively for Tennessee as they need to replace over 40 points per game from the loss of Mercedes Russell, Jamie Nared, and Anastasia Hayes. Rennia Davis is the leading returning scorer for the Lady Vols after averaging 12 points per fame last season. Davis did a very nice job with shot selection as she made 48.3 percent of her shots from the floor. Evina Westbrook will be looking to take a step forward in her sophomore season at point guard. Westbrook did a solid job scoring wise as she averaged 8.4 points per game. The assist to turnover ratio will need to improve for Westbrook and it needs to get closer to a 1.75-2:1 level for Tennessee to get to the second weekend of the NCAA Tournament. Meme Jackson will be another key player for the Lady Vols. Her experience and ability to knock down open outside shots, as Jackson made 35.7 percent of her three-point shots last season, will be very important for Tennessee. The schedule should buy Tennessee some time to get rolling as their first big test will be on December 2nd at Oklahoma State, and then a week later a trip to Texas to play the Longhorns will be difficult as well. Stanford and Notre Dame are the two signature non-conference home games. Three SEC games starting on February 17th at Missouri will decided the SEC race as the Lady Vols will play the Tigers, at Texas A&M and home against South Carolina. Look for Tennessee to contend for the SEC title and be a threat to get to the Sweet 16 or Elite Eight."

Full preview: http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16731

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/31/18 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Note that Tennessee was picked fourth in the SEC ...

PostPosted: 10/31/18 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Excellent observation, and another reason why localized government is more effective than centralization or globalization. Imagine if we had this ranking selected by a team of international sports writers appointed by the U.N. (Okay, don't imagine it, as it's effectively off topic.)
willtalk

PostPosted: 10/31/18 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Excellent observation, and another reason why localized government is more effective than centralization or globalization. Imagine if we had this ranking selected by a team of international sports writers appointed by the U.N. (Okay, don't imagine it, as it's effectively off topic.)

Well they are probably just assuming that Pat Summit's coaching can get them to overachieve just as she has done this last couple of years.

PostPosted: 10/31/18 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

*shrug* Preseason polls are just that. Let's see how it all shakes out in March...after all the injuries, the "shocker" games, the abrupt mid-year transfers, the disciplinary benchings, and the rest of the craziness that is the basketball season.

PostPosted: 11/01/18 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

6. Stanford

Remaining teams for spots 1-5:

Notre Dame
UConn
Oregon
Baylor
Louisville

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/01/18 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

6. Stanford

Notre Dame
UConn
Oregon
Baylor
Louisville

I think the top 6 teams (in some order) is fairly obvious at this point before a game has been played, and that the AP writers got them right. To me these folks missed badly with Miss St at 11 rather than in that group of 6.

It's after 6 where things really get interesting.

Historical performance, name recognition, reputation and expectations always seem to play such a big factor in pre-season rankings.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 11/01/18 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
6. Stanford

Notre Dame
UConn
Oregon
Baylor
Louisville

I think the top 6 teams (in some order) is fairly obvious at this point before a game has been played, and that the AP writers got them right. To me these folks missed badly with Miss St at 11 rather than in that group of 6.

It's after 6 where things really get interesting.

Historical performance, name recognition, reputation and expectations always seem to play such a big factor in pre-season rankings.

Agreed. I thought Miss St was far too low in this ranking. They are my pick for the SEC. Tennessee is too young and the coaching really hurts them. I think SC will have a small A'ja hangover, and I think Mizzou and Georgia and not quite top 10. I expect Miss St in the final 6 by season's end.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 11/02/18 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

5. Louisville

Remaining teams for spots 1-4:

Notre Dame
UConn
Oregon
Baylor

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 11/03/18 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4. Baylor

Remaining teams for spots 1-3:

Notre Dame
UConn
Oregon

"Kalani Brown led the Lady Bears with 20.1 points and 10.2 rebounds per game. The reigning Big 12 Player of the Year was a dominate force in the paint on both ends of the floor and few teams have the ability to stop the 6-7 center. Lauren Cox will again start beside Brown. The 6-4 junior was the conference’s Defensive Player of the Year in 2017-2018 and averaged 15.3 points, 9.7 rebounds and 2.7 blocks. Junior Juicy Landrum and sophomores DiDi Richards and Moon Ursin are the returning players on the perimeter. The unit will get a huge boost from LSU graduate transfer Chloe Jackson. With the Tigers last season she averaged 18.1 points per game and should immediately emerge as a leader on the perimeter. The addition of four top 15 recruits bodes well for the future and will provide the Lady Bears with more than enough talented depth right away. Aquira DeCosta, a 6-0 wing, is the best of the bunch, but NaLyssa Smith, Honesty Scott-Grayson and Queen Egbo all have the talent to make a huge splash as freshmen. With Brown and Cox leading the way and so much talent on the roster, this is a team that should cruise to the Elite Eight and make a push for a national championship."

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16737

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 11/04/18 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

3. Oregon

Remaining teams for spots 1-2:

Notre Dame
UConn

"Projection:
Sabrina Ionescu and Ruthy Hebard set the tone for the Ducks at both ends of the court. Ionescu should be one of the favorites for National Player of the Year honors. Ionescu averaged 19.7 points, 6.7 rebounds and had nearly a three to one assist to turnover ratio as she is almost a lock for a double-double or triple-double on a nightly basis. Hebard is dominant down low as she averaged 17.6 points per game, made 66 percent of her shots and grabbed nine rebounds per game last season. Maite Cazorla is another highly efficient offensive scoring threat in the backcourt as she made 48.6 percent of her shots from the floor. Satou Sabally had a good freshman season, averaging 10.7 points per game and making 37 percent of her three-point shot attempts. Depth could be a concern if injuries happen with the starting lineup as there are currently just ten players on the roster. They will need immediate production form the three new players Erin Boley, Nyara Sabally, and Taylor Chavez to ease some pressure on the starters. Syracuse, Mississippi State and Buffalo highlight the non-conference schedule and all three of those games could be high-flying up-tempo contests. The conference schedule is balanced as they open with the Washington schools, have an early road trip to Los Angeles to play UCLA, and play Stanford once on the road in Palo Alto. Overall, look for the Ducks to be right there in the Final Four conversation all season long and, with the right draw, should get to their first Final Four in program history.
"

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16741

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 11/05/18 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So the list is complete, but we have to wait until tomorrow to receive the capsule on Notre Dame.

"It seems like it has been forever since Connecticut did not enter a campaign as the preseason #1. But with three players gone who were selected in the first round of the 2018 WNBA Draft, the Huskies do have some questions to answer. Kia Nurse, Gabby Williams and Azura Stevens will be missed, but Coach Geno Auriemma does not lack talent on his roster. By March, Connecticut should be right there among the favorites to win the NCAA Tournament. And after two disappointments in the Final Four, the program will be looking for a national championship.

Projection:
Despite the departures, Connecticut does return seniors Katie Lou Samuelson and Napheesa Collier. Samuelson, a 6-3 wing, led the Huskies with 17.4 points. She knocked down 96 three-pointers at an impressive 47.5 percent clip. Collier added 16.1 points and 7.4 rebounds to go along with 1.7 blocks and 1.6 steals. Collier is an absolute menace on both ends for the floor and this season Connecticut will ask her to do even more. Crystal Dangerfield will return to a starting spot after averaging 9.5 points and 4.1 assists as a sophomore. Like Samuelson, Dangerfield is a very dangerous outside shooter. The expectations are very high for sophomore Megan Walker. As a freshman last season the 6-1 wing averaged 5.8 points and 3.3 rebounds in just over 15 minutes per game. With more playing time coming her way, Walker should take a big step forward. Coach Auriemma only has two newcomers coming into the program, but Christyn Williams and Olivia Nelson-Ododa are both top five recruits who are ready to crack the regular rotation right away. There is not much proven depth on this team, but Connecticut does not need to go more than seven or eight deep and few teams in the country have as much top level talent as the players Coach Auriemma will put on the court.
"

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16749

1. Notre Dame
2. UConn
3. Oregon
4. Baylor
5. Louisville
6. Stanford
7. Tennessee
8. Maryland
9. Oregon St.
10. Texas
11. Miss St.
12. Missouri
13. South Carolina
14. Georgia
15. Iowa
16. NC St.
17. DePaul
18. South Florida
19. Marquette
20. Syracuse
21. Duke
22. UCLA l
23. Texas A&M
24. Arizona State
25. Florida State
26. Minnesota
27. Miami (FL)
28. Michigan
29.Oklahoma
30. Central Michigan
31. West Virginia
32. LSU
33. California
34. Nebraska
35. Georgia Tech
36. Ohio State
37. Green Bay
38. Gonzaga
39. Virginia
40. Dayton
41. Oklahoma State
42. Kentucky
43. Belmont
44. Indiana

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 11/06/18 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Notre Dame's description:

"Notre Dame won the national championship last season in dramatic fashion as Arike Ogunbowale hit a pair of shots heard around the women’s college basketball world to beat UConn and Mississippi State. The turning point of the season for the Fighting Irish was how they responded to getting blown out at Louisville 100-67 back on January 11, 2018. Notre Dame went on to win 20 out of their final 21 games only losing to the Cardinals in the ACC Conference Tournament title games in Greensboro by two points. Resilience in the face of adversity displayed by the Fighting Irish last season should carry over into this season as they return four starters and a healthy Brianna Turner.

Projection:
Notre Dame is going to get everyone’s best shot and then some heading into this season as they have got the belt as the defending national champion. Arike Ogunbowale is one of the best guards in the country and should only get even better as she is on pace to be the second or third pick in the 2019 WNBA draft. Jessica Shepard will provide plenty of inside scoring after averaging just under 16 points per game while shooting 56.5 percent from the floor last season. Shepard also is a strong rebounder, collecting eight rebounds per game and should see those numbers grow a little bit with the return of a healthy Brianna Turner. Turner is an elite inside post player that has 81 career double-doubles and will be a huge asset for the Fighting Irish if she can come close to replicating her production from the 2016-17 season. Jackie Young and Marina Mabrey round out a deep and talented backcourt. Mabrey is the better outside shooter, but Young has that knack of attacking the basket that can be tough to slow down. The schedule is loaded with a preseason trip out to Vancouver in late November to play Gonzaga and potentially South Carolina. Connecticut comes to Purcell Pavilion on December 2nd in what should be an epic rematch of last year’s National Semifinal. On January 10th, Louisville will come to town and then two weeks later a trip to Tennessee will test this veteran squad. Overall, unless another year of catastrophic injuries takes place, you can expect Notre Dame to be back in the Final Four in Tampa this spring. And they are the favorite to repeat as national champions.
"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: