RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Mark Cuban's advice to the W

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 10/22/18 5:43 pm    ::: Mark Cuban's advice to the W Reply Reply with quote

https://www.wnbainsidr.com/insidr/mark-cubans-advice-to-the-wnba-create-events-that-you-can-sell

Quote:
"You have to go find external revenue sources other than just the games themselves,” Cuban said when asked what the WNBA can do to grow the League and capitalize on one of its most successful seasons. “Create new events that you can sell.”

PostPosted: 10/22/18 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe Cuban should buy a team and show us how it’s done.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 10/22/18 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Would he just buy the Wings? Or maybe Cuban can revive the Comets?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/22/18 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Would he just buy the Wings? Or maybe Cuban can revive the Comets?

Lol Cuban will not have anything to do with the Wings or buying a WNBA team. The city of Dallas is well aware of that , he just wont specifically say it "verbatim" . Times could be changing though with these recent allegations of sexual discomfort in the work place on the Mavs Staff. I could see Cuban buying the Wings or moving them to AAC as a media ploy to show how much he care's about women. It would be a total lie as well . He does have a some great idea's here in this article . I do agree create your own events / properties and generate revenue that way .

PostPosted: 10/22/18 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
“The challenge is when they talk about the percentages, it kind of avoids Business 101 topic which is there is a certain hurdle of fixed costs you have to overcome. If you make x amount of dollars and if your business makes x amount in sales but your costs are up here, you will have to pay lower commissions.

We paid a lower percentage to the men until our revenue went up. Then when our revenue went up we were able to pay a higher percentage.”

This is what the more vocal WNBA players don’t understand.

stever

PostPosted: 10/22/18 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-mavericks/mavericks/2018/10/22/mavericks-owner-mark-cuban-met-skylar-diggins-smith-after-pay-gap-comments-happened

tfan

PostPosted: 10/23/18 12:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
But what you can do, because, with the women’s game it’s so much bigger, dramatically bigger outside the US, than in the US, there are players that won’t play here because they can make more money overseas.

Cuban is aware of the higher salaries for American players in Europe and Asia and incorrectly assumes that they have much bigger crowds over there watching their games. Although I can only assume that in Europe and Asia there also isn't a bigger TV viewership for women's basketball.

Cuban was saying that he would consider a WNBA team after the Dallas Mavericks won a championship. I don't think he ever addressed the issue after they did win a title in 2011.

Randy

PostPosted: 10/23/18 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Create new events you can sell. Kind of tough when your business is to have games between 2 teams. I'm kind of at a loss as to what that would be.

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/23/18 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Create new events you can sell. Kind of tough when your business is to have games between 2 teams. I'm kind of at a loss as to what that would be.

Which is why franchises have no value ...

Game revenue is not enough to pay the bills in the WNBA, so ESPN, jersey sponsors, etc., bridge the gap. After 20 years, it seems unlikely that attendance will suddenly jump to the point that game revenue allows players to be paid significantly more, so I have to agree with Cuban, jerk though he may be.

If it were easy to make money in the WNBA, more people would be doing it, and there would be more teams.

PostPosted: 10/23/18 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

If you read the article, his biggest idea seems to be to have the WNBA players boycott the FIBA events and run their own international tournaments that they would profit from. I’m not really seeing that as bringing in a boatload of money. But if he were to point out that some of these players do bend over backwards for Team USA to fit it into their schedules, and maybe it’s only the elite players who may pad their sponsorships who really gain anything financial out of it.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/23/18 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mark Cuban for WNBA president? It couldn’t be any worse than it has been, and maybe Silver would actually let him try some new ideas.

Would that be a conflict of interest since he’s a NBA owner? Nobody seemed to care that Borders has heavy ATL Dream ties.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 10/23/18 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe the MeToo movement people could help out their gender by supporting the teams though attendance and selling of tee shirts and other items, instead of merely complaining.

It's called "getting off your ass and actually positively contributing your time and money."

We do and we're a mixture or race, gender and LGBT.

And where are the black lives matter people and other black organizations? And where are the black male fans? 90% of the women players are black but most of the fans who attend the games and support the teams are white.

Doubleheader games? Because of the few teams in the WNBA, it's not really feasible to travel a longer distances to attend a 2 hour game. Two games and four teams would bring more attention and fans to game and you could sponsor some before, in between and after the game activities to acquire additional revenues. Getting to meet all of the players would be a treat.
Sponsors and wealthy jerks like Cuban would be more inclined to donate to events like this than just one game.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 10/23/18 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind getting Cuban involved, it doesn't really matter what you think of him if he is willing to put his money and a little time into the womens game it wouldn't hurt. And why not use the #metoo movement, it seems that women of any color could use some support. Any help is better than no help.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/23/18 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
I wouldn't mind getting Cuban involved, it doesn't really matter what you think of him if he is willing to put his money and a little time into the womens game it wouldn't hurt. And why not use the #metoo movement, it seems that women of any color could use some support. Any help is better than no help.

Not happening Laughing

PostPosted: 10/23/18 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog,

I'm not sure which WNBA market you live in, but it's clearly not in Dallas/Ft. Worth because if so, you would know that we black males rep DWings in LARGE numbers!!! I am personally a season ticket holder who has only missed TWO games since the 2016 debut. I have taken my son's, brother, nephew and several co-workers to MANY games over the years, and the CPC stays lit with men ( Black, White, Hispanic, Indian, Asain and several from different parts of the Middle East) at EVERY game, not to mention the number of NFL, NBA & MLB players who drop in from time to time....Kirk Franklin & Fred Hammond are REGULARS at DWings games, also!

I can't speak for the rest of the country, but here in DFWub, we rep ALL our teams, not just the Cowboys....we live, eat and breath sports of every kind in these parts😁

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 10/23/18 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

Not happening Laughing

AWWW c'mon you cannot even guilt him into it? Laughing Laughing

lethalweapon3

PostPosted: 10/23/18 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pretty much what DFWDub said, replaced with Atlanta (tiny numbers... but HUGE proportions) and whatever venue our WNBA team gets lumped into. #BLM

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/23/18 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
RavenDog,

I'm not sure which WNBA market you live in, but it's clearly not in Dallas/Ft. Worth because if so, you would know that we black males rep DWings in LARGE numbers!!! I am personally a season ticket holder who has only missed TWO games since the 2016 debut. I have taken my son's, brother, nephew and several co-workers to MANY games over the years, and the CPC stays lit with men ( Black, White, Hispanic, Indian, Asain and several from different parts of the Middle East) at EVERY game, not to mention the number of NFL, NBA & MLB players who drop in from time to time....Kirk Franklin & Fred Hammond are REGULARS at DWings games, also!

I can't speak for the rest of the country, but here in DFWub, we rep ALL our teams, not just the Cowboys....we live, eat and breath sports of every kind in these parts😁

+1

PostPosted: 10/24/18 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Maybe the MeToo movement people could help out their gender by supporting the teams though attendance and selling of tee shirts and other items, instead of merely complaining.

It's called "getting off your ass and actually positively contributing your time and money."

We do and we're a mixture or race, gender and LGBT.

And where are the black lives matter people and other black organizations? And where are the black male fans? 90% of the women players are black but most of the fans who attend the games and support the teams are white.

Doubleheader games? Because of the few teams in the WNBA, it's not really feasible to travel a longer distances to attend a 2 hour game. Two games and four teams would bring more attention and fans to game and you could sponsor some before, in between and after the game activities to acquire additional revenues. Getting to meet all of the players would be a treat.
Sponsors and wealthy jerks like Cuban would be more inclined to donate to events like this than just one game.

What does race have to do with who supports the league anyway? By the way, there are black people that are die hard fans of not just women's basketball but basketball period. Most black men I know support girls playing basketball . In urban areas with black people, if a person excels and makes it out, there is a sense of pride. There are plenty of black men who go to games. I watched a Dream game and there were a group of 4 or 5 black men sitting court side cheering their butts off. One of my good friends who is black goes to almost every Mercury game and has followed many of these WNBA players since high school.

Since you want to call out black people in particular, why don't you check the demographics in some of these cities that the WNBA plays in. You just said most of the fans are white which means that the majority of the population is non-black. However, just because this is the case does not mean that black people do not attend games because they do.

World wide, people are more familiar and follow the NBA because it appeals to them. I have said previously that people go with what is popular in culture. Once the WNBA becomes a global product like the NBA then you will see more growth(Mark Cuban stated this in the article).

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/24/18 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Mark Cuban for WNBA president? It couldn’t be any worse than it has been, and maybe Silver would actually let him try some new ideas.

Would that be a conflict of interest since he’s a NBA owner? Nobody seemed to care that Borders has heavy ATL Dream ties.

Not close to being an apples-to-apples situation (trying to avoid using the term "false equivalency").

Borders was the President of the Atlanta City Council of Atlanta, Georgia from 2004 to 2010 before becoming the Vice President of Global Community Affairs at The Coca-Cola Company.

She was a leader in bringing the Dream to Atlanta in 2008. But she was not an owner of the team (or any WNBA team). She was never even a team executive.

Owners:
Quote:
Ron Terwilliger (2008–2009)
Kathy Betty (2010)
Dream Too LLC, composed of Mary Brock and Kelly Loeffler (2011–present)

Executives:
Quote:
President & COO - Bill Bolen (2008- 2009)
Co-owner & CEO - Kathy Betty (2010-2011)
CEO – Peter J. Canalichio (2012)
CEO - Ashley Preisinger (2012 - 2014)
President & CEO - Theresa Wenzel (2014 - Present)

As an aside, the WNBA executive office pulls from franchises, promoting them upward - see Parry, Jay.

But this involves being an owner of an NBA franchise and being the head of the WNBA. There are restrictions on what NBA owners can do. As an example, when Jay-Z became a certified agent, he had to sell his stake in the Brooklyn Nets. They cannot own multiple NBA franchises (though they can simultaneously own a WNBA team that is affiliated with a WNBA franchise).

I would have to research the potential for a conflict of interest situation, but I believe that NBA owners are barred from executive positions within the NBA structure (e.g., G-League, WNBA, etc.).

Shades

PostPosted: 10/24/18 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was whimsical notion based on his apparent interest in the WNBA problems. It threw me off for a sec. Cuban has a lot on his plate. He wouldn’t invest any major time or effort trying to fix the WNBA.

gpark33

PostPosted: 10/25/18 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I always hoped one of his daughters might take an interest to motivate him. No such luck (that I've heard) so far and they are getting older.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: