RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn 2018-19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/20/18 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
Have been following Megan's progression throughout the summer via numerous local articles and local reports via social media

Now there's some objective sources of information and analysis. Shocked

The term "wait and see" seems apropos. Maybe she'll surprise us all.

I seem to recall a lot of "instant superstar" predictions about her last year at this time from the same quarters.

Hey, I happen to be a Walker fan. After all, McGraw wanted her at ND too. But I thought her problems didn't look like "freshman mistakes"; they seemed more like a player who had succeeded based on superb athleticism but lacked offensive ball skills. Looked like someone who belonged as a prototypical SEC player rather than at UConn.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 10/20/18 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
Have been following Megan's progression throughout the summer via numerous local articles and local reports via social media

I seem to recall a lot of "instant superstar" predictions about her last year at this time from the same quarters.

Hey, I happen to be a Walker fan. After all, McGraw wanted her at ND too. But I thought her problems didn't look like "freshman mistakes"; they seemed more like a player who had succeeded based on superb athleticism but lacked offensive ball skills. Looked like someone who belonged as a prototypical SEC player rather than at UConn.

I doubt very much if the local media of South Bend would provide us with any reporting about Ms. Walker so you take what is given and filter according to who is writing. There are some writers out to ingratiate themselves to Geno and there are some who could care less what Geno thinks. Jim Fuller before he left was a no holds bar kind of writer as is Jeff Jacobs from the Hartford Courant. My bellwether is if Geno is po'd at a reporter for writing a particular not so very flattering article then that is in some part a sign of a writer who is willing to put sports journalist first above homerism. The Hartford Courant usually maintains that standard, other newspapers in the area not so much.
Considering the paucity of coverage not just for WCBB but women's sports in general and therefore being so few writers dedicated to coverage of women's sports you learn to discern very quickly who is an unabashed homer and who is an objective journalist.

PostPosted: 10/20/18 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
Jim Fuller before he left . . . .

What happened with Jim Fuller? I don't follow the locals much anymore. Fuller was the best of the Horde on recruits; he's the only one I'd see at high school games occasionally.
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 10/21/18 7:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
Jim Fuller before he left . . . .

What happened with Jim Fuller? I don't follow the locals much anymore. Fuller was the best of the Horde on recruits; he's the only one I'd see at high school games occasionally.

The New Haven Register was bought out by another company and they changed his role. He announced this in a tweet further saying his role had changed and he would no longer be doing the Elm City to Eagleville blog but rather other sports such as football. Yes, he was excellent for both updates on recruits and getting objectively inside information. Coverage of the Huskies has been taken over by Doug Bonjour.

Last edited by Oldfandepot2 on 10/24/18 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/21/18 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
Yes, he was excellent for both updates on recruits and getting objectively inside information.

Which of course is why none of these guys are remotely objective. They have minor beats covering a WCBB team for small time newspapers and are ENTIRELY dependent on inside access to information about the program. The first time any of them write anything that departs from Geno's desired narrative they know they'll be cut off at the knees and rendered unable to do their jobs. It's not like ESPN, Sports Illustrated and the Washington Post are lined up to offer any of them jobs.

So when have you ever read anything from any of them along the lines of "despite Geno's reports of huge offseason improvements in Jane Doe's conditioning and offense, what I have witnessed at practices has been a player who remains overweight and slow, and who still will frighten no one with her shooting beyond 6 feet from the basket."

Never you say? That's what I thought.

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/22/18 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
Yes, he was excellent for both updates on recruits and getting objectively inside information.

Which of course is why none of these guys are remotely objective. They have minor beats covering a WCBB team for small time newspapers and are ENTIRELY dependent on inside access to information about the program. The first time any of them write anything that departs from Geno's desired narrative they know they'll be cut off at the knees and rendered unable to do their jobs. It's not like ESPN, Sports Illustrated and the Washington Post are lined up to offer any of them jobs.

So when have you ever read anything from any of them along the lines of "despite Geno's reports of huge offseason improvements in Jane Doe's conditioning and offense, what I have witnessed at practices has been a player who remains overweight and slow, and who still will frighten no one with her shooting beyond 6 feet from the basket."

Right on the money, Art ... and it's not even necessarily true that bigger media outlets can get to the bottom of things. Reporting depends on sources, and if no one wants to talk, reporters are pretty much stopped.

PostPosted: 10/22/18 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am impressed that Art takes the time to read all those UConn articles over the years on which he bases his comment.

The entire sports journalism profession is mostly just a bunch of shills who have a symbiotic relationship with the sport they cover. Their jobs depend on the public interest in the sport while the sport depends on publicity to generate public interest and to generate advertising revenue. And the big national outlets like ESPN are little different. There is a reason that after decades of ignoring soccer ESPN makes the sport front page news. Could it be their contract to televise games?

As for:
Quote:
So when have you ever read anything from any of the UConn hoard along the lines of "despite Geno's reports of huge offseason improvements in Jane Doe's conditioning and offense, what I have witnessed at practices has been a player who remains overweight and slow, and who still will frighten no one with her shooting beyond 6 feet from the basket."

I would challenge the writer to produce one quote from Geno that grossly overstated the conditioning and/or skill level of one of his players. If anything, he is criticized for being too bluntly critical of his players as to their off-season or in-season work. UConn's writers don't have to contradict Geno's glowing reports of players because he gives them critical quotes all the time. If one would read the articles one would see them.

But then I am sure that Art will be the first to admit his error of judgement if Walker does show remarkable improvement from last season, confirming Geno's assessment of her play.

Of course I would be happy if she simply played all season the way she did in the 4th period against the Irish during last season's game at CT.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/22/18 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And Linkster exhales a self-satisfied sigh over a pointless rant after having completely missed the point (as usual).

Rounding into season form early this year I see.

linkster

PostPosted: 10/22/18 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
And Linkster exhales a self-satisfied sigh over a pointless rant after having completely missed the point (as usual).

Rounding into season form early this year I see.

You too Art. Same old unsupported and over-stated comments about UConn.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 10/23/18 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

Bingo!

RavenDog

PostPosted: 10/23/18 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

Right on the money, Art ... and it's not even necessarily true that bigger media outlets can get to the bottom of things. Reporting depends on sources, and if no one wants to talk, reporters are pretty much stopped.

The Joe Paterno Syndrome.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 10/24/18 6:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

When Jane Doe shows up, I’ll let you know - until then no need for further response since you answer your own questions. Go Huskies! Oh, just an FYI, your mythical Jane Doe described a freshman Steph Dolson to a tee as reported by Messers Fuller, Altavilla and others. You never know.

PostPosted: 10/24/18 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

When Jane Doe shows up, I’ll let you know - until then no need for further response since you answer your own questions. Go Huskies! Oh, just an FYI, your mythical Jane Doe described a freshman Steph Dolson to a tee as reported by Messers Fuller, Altavilla and others. You never know.

Yes, of course, when Geno decides to publicly trash one of his own players, as he did with Dolson, as he has with Walker, as he does with regularity (UConn fans have evidently swallowed the notion that public humiliation is some kind of appropriate teaching or development methodology), the todies will line up to gleefully repeat his criticisms in their writing.

Now wake us when any one of them ever contradicts what Geno says, because the next time will be the first (and the last for the one who does it).

Here's a good example for you from just the past couple days. Geno's current chosen storyline is that last year Walker sucked; this year she's incredibly improved. (He probably feels the need to continue to trash her prior year performance in order to deflect the fan criticism that he didn't play her enough.) They reported his words:
“I would say that probably the biggest 180 from last year has been Megan Walker. From the player that showed up the first week of practice last year to this year, it’s completely different. So that’s been really, really impressive to see her make that kind of jump. Most freshmen make a jump, but hers has been huge — as big as any freshman I’ve seen. Now she had a long way to jump, I get that.”
Now let us know when one of them reports that this pitch is just smoke and that she's basically the same player she was a year ago, either because she was never that bad in the first place, or that she's not improved. You know as well as I that even if that was the case, it would never be reported. They will just slavishly play along in lockstep with his games.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 10/24/18 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

Yes, of course, when Geno decides to publicly trash one of his own players, as he did with Dolson, as he has with Walker, as he does with regularity (UConn fans have evidently swallowed the notion that public humiliation is some kind of appropriate teaching or development methodology), the todies will line up to gleefully repeat his criticisms in their writing.

Now wake us when any one of them ever contradicts what Geno says, because the next time will be the first (and the last for the one who does it).

Here's a good example for you from just the past couple days. Geno's current chosen storyline is that last year Walker sucked; this year she's incredibly improved. (He probably feels the need to continue to trash her prior year performance in order to deflect the fan criticism that he didn't play her enough.) They reported his words:
“I would say that probably the biggest 180 from last year has been Megan Walker. From the player that showed up the first week of practice last year to this year, it’s completely different. So that’s been really, really impressive to see her make that kind of jump. Most freshmen make a jump, but hers has been huge — as big as any freshman I’ve seen. Now she had a long way to jump, I get that.”
Now let us know when one of them reports that this pitch is just smoke and that she's basically the same player she was a year ago, either because she was never that bad in the first place, or that she's not improved. You know as well as I that even if that was the case, it would never be reported. They will just slavishly play along in lockstep with his games.
Art, Jesus - get passed the hate. I said before and I quote he can be a real bastard. Also you asked if they wrote about a Jane Doe and I gave you Steph. Also they did go after him over the Andra Espinoza Hunter debacle and deservedly so. Relax Art, we all know you hate everything Geno and I am not going to defend him at every turn as you should know by now, but I shall present facts and try to be objective for when he is an ass, I shall say as such and when he does a good thing, I shall say that as well. John Altavilla and Jim Fuller did write objectively and took a lot of flack for it. Geno does not walk on water nor do I drink the Kool Ade - always hated the shit.
Now there are new beat writers and the verdict is still out - time will tell.

PostPosted: 10/24/18 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone who speaks any truth or says anything that departs from your fairy tale can be safely dismissed as "just another Geno hater." Nice and neat and easy that way.

I'd suggest you consider that maybe it's just true and has nothing to do with "hate," but I know I'd be wasting my breath.

Hey, maybe you could get a job with Sarah Huckabee Sanders.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 10/24/18 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Anyone who speaks any truth or says anything that departs from your fairy tale can be safely dismissed as "just another Geno hater." Nice and neat and easy that way.

I'd suggest you consider that maybe it's just true and has nothing to do with "hate," but I know I'd be wasting my breath.

Hey, maybe you could get a job with Sarah Huckabee Sanders.
You always descends into the ad hominem more than any other poster here. Not going there, Art. Your hate blinds you more than any other poster I met outside of Conway Gamecock - that is fact, Art. Feel sorry for you.

Last edited by Oldfandepot2 on 10/24/18 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/24/18 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zTs3uzChx8k" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

acsuc99

PostPosted: 10/31/18 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OMG Geno playing it up big in the preseason.

"I think we are #2 based more on our past than what we have done"

"We haven't been in this situation in a while"

How sad to hear this one came from a man who coached a team of slow white girls with mullets to the Final 4. Who took non highly Jen Rizzoti and won a title with her as PG. Who took Maria Colon from bench slug to starter.

Now he makes it sound like a team with 3 #1 rated recruits and 2 other top 5's is just not up to par with the rest of the nation. The white flag seems raised. He was pacing back and forth so much in a recent practice video senior citizens on the Boneyard were getting motion sickness.

Where is the Geno that took challenges head on? That didn't cower?

To quote a famous tweeter...SAD!

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/01/18 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
girls with mullets

Learned a new word, or a new meaning for an old word. To me, mullets are fish that jump into my canoe when paddling in Florida and that taste good when smoked and wrapped in newspaper at Posey's Oyster Bar in St. Marks.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Fs02LDomD-E" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Maybe Geno has become a fish out of water.
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 11/02/18 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just finished reading a couple of articles, one from ESPN and one from Sports Illustrated with both describing the upcoming Husky season as being a "bounce back" by ESPN and one of "redemption" by SI. Bounce back from what and redemption for what as last year's team finished with one loss and that loss being in overtime in the FF to eventual champion Notre Dame. How many other programs aside from UCONN after having a season like that would have the succeeding season described as such(none). Believe, as unintended as it is, to be very high praise indeed.

PostPosted: 11/02/18 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:

How sad to hear this one came from a man who coached a team of slow white girls with mullets to the Final 4. Who took non highly Jen Rizzoti and won a title with her as PG. Who took Maria Colon from bench slug to starter.

Now he makes it sound like a team with 3 #1 rated recruits and 2 other top 5's is just not up to par with the rest of the nation. The white flag seems raised. He was pacing back and forth so much in a recent practice video senior citizens on the Boneyard were getting motion sickness.

Geno expectations for this team remains the same as he said in a Hartford Courant article in mid October that although it is quite possible that this team may experience a loss and not beat top ten teams by 50 he still expects them to win nonetheless and the ultimate goal remains unchanged. It is just that for a team with new working parts it will take time to come together. Did not notice and signs of fatalism in his approach this season. And as for the Boneyard's assessment well they are the ultimate collective of WCBB's hypochondriacs when in fact the health of the team according to Geno is just fine thank you so the denizens of the Yard are not to be taken seriously in this regard.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 11/05/18 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:

Two words, 99:

Christyn Williams.

And a few more:

Step back from the ledge. Smile

Personally, I think this will be his most defensively-challenged team in several years.

PostPosted: 11/05/18 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:

Personally, I think this will be his most defensively-challenged team in several years.

Music to Deb Antonelli's ears!! These ladies were put on earth to do ONE thing....SCORE!

I can't step off that ledge ever again after what I saw from the Hall of Famer when the game was on the line the last 2 years! Chong and turnaround Gabby with the game on the line? GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE GENO. WTF. Not to mention Twyla Erwin was the FIRST player off the bench yesterday. My God that is a scary situation to be in!

And yes, the Adorable Arkansanian has me HAPPY!

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/06/18 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's a YouTube replay of the UConn-Vanguard exhibition game:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IqY0C6PpUAw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 11/08/18 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:

Two words, 99:

Christyn Williams.

And a few more:

Step back from the ledge. Smile

I think come March they will be much improved on defense.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 14 of 18

Jump to: