RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Who will be THE standout freshman on your team?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/17/18 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
DeCosta can't shoot. Don't know anything about Bickle.

She sure has been draining 3's since she stepped on campus . So either your judgement is of her past or you have not watched the Lady bear's practice so far this year ?

No, I haven't made it to practices in Waco, given that I live 1,700 miles away. My comment is based on seeing DeCosta in over 10 USAB games and two recent All-Star games, as well as studying her shooting statistics. Here are some stats.

In her high school career, AD shot 10-36 on 3pt shots in 114 games over four years, and 3-16 in 30 games in her senior year.

On the 2015 U16 team, AD didn't start any of the five games, shot 12-27 FG (.444), 0-3 3PT (.000), and averaged 4.8 PPG and 5.8 RPG.

On the 2016 U17 team, AD didn't start any of the seven games, shot 18-56 FG (.321), 0-0 3PT, and averaged 6.6 PPG and 10.1 RPG.

In the 2018 McDonald's AA game, AD shot 3-9 (.333), 0-1, 0-0; and hit six points with 10 rebounds.

In the 2018 Jordan Brand Classic AA game, AD shot 4-11 (.363), 0-1, 0-0; and hit eight points with eight rebounds.

My strong impression of AD is that she has great athleticism, is a very good rebounder and put-backer, has no real back-to-the basket moves but is a good short slasher, has below average shooting touch, and virtually no touch from the arc. It's my further impression that she's a worse outside shooter than Gabby Williams and Megan Walker.

Based on her high school performances, I'd slot AD as a 4 in college who will have little offensive utility as a shooter or rebounder from beyond about 12 feet from the basket. Who else does Baylor have at that position besides Cox, I forget? With her athleticism, there's no reason she shouldn't become a good defensive player.

Of course, sometimes shooting touch does improve in college, but it's unusual.
#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 10/17/18 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

She sure has been draining 3's since she stepped on campus . So either your judgement is of her past or you have not watched the Lady bear's practice so far this year ?

No, I haven't made it to practices in Waco, given that I live 1,700 miles away. My comment is based on seeing DeCosta in over 10 USAB games and two recent All-Star games, as well as studying her shooting statistics. Here are some stats.

In her high school career, AD shot 10-36 on 3pt shots in 114 games over four years, and 3-16 in 30 games in her senior year.

On the 2015 U16 team, AD didn't start any of the five games, shot 12-27 FG (.444), 0-3 3PT (.000), and averaged 4.8 PPG and 5.8 RPG.

On the 2016 U17 team, AD didn't start any of the seven games, shot 18-56 FG (.321), 0-0 3PT, and averaged 6.6 PPG and 10.1 RPG.

In the 2018 McDonald's AA game, AD shot 3-9 (.333), 0-1, 0-0; and hit six points with 10 rebounds.

In the 2018 Jordan Brand Classic AA game, AD shot 4-11 (.363), 0-1, 0-0; and hit eight points with eight rebounds.

My strong impression of AD is that she has great athleticism, is a very good rebounder and put-backer, has no real back-to-the basket moves but is a good short slasher, has below average shooting touch, and virtually no touch from the arc. It's my further impression that she's a worse outside shooter than Gabby Williams and Megan Walker.

Based on her high school performances, I'd slot AD as a 4 in college who will have little offensive utility as a shooter or rebounder from beyond about 12 feet from the basket. Who else does Baylor have at that position besides Cox, I forget? With her athleticism, there's no reason she shouldn't become a good defensive player.

I agree with everything you said.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/17/18 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I agree with everything you said.

Sorry i stopped after watching 10 USA games or w/e . You could have just said "yes" im judging her off her past performances . Player's do work on their game as well i guess this will be a wait and see situation . Not saying she's going to be a constant threat , but from what ive seen she's hitting them consistently and not as flat as she use to shoot .

PostPosted: 10/18/18 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw Bickle in high school (we played against her), and I saw DeCosta a lot in high school (she's from NorCal) ...

Bickle is tall and a solid shooter, but note that she wasn't on any of those teams DeCosta was on ... so you can say "Well, DeCosta didn't do as well as others on USA Basketball/McDonald's," but she was there.

DeCosta is one of the most impressive athletes you're going to see, and she gets off the ground quickly and jumps very well. She's left-handed and claims she can shoot.

All that said, she might not fit as smoothly into the Baylor lineup as Bickle, but I still think her contributions will far outweigh Bickle's. The gap in athleticism is very large, from my last views of both.

PostPosted: 10/18/18 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Funny I just looked at Baylors roster to check on who Bickle was and I was right she is white, but I would have known that from the verbiage being used in this thread LMAO Rolling Eyes

willtalk

PostPosted: 10/19/18 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I too have seen DeCosta play though out her career, and based on that one would think she couldn't shoot form outside. However, she was always playing either the 4 or 5 and the opportunities to score from outside would not be evident. I did notice that beginning with her Junior season she would often launch a few from 3 but not enough to get a real perspective of how consistent she would be. As was mentioned the arch on her ball increased considerably during that time.

I recently watched a video of the the first Baylor practice. In it the women played both against the male practice squad and against each other. In both those instances Mulkey had DeCosta playing on the parameter as a ball handler. she hit 5 of 7 from 3 pt range, and her form was excellent. During the half court drills she was going against Baylors best parameter defender and hit 2 or 3 with 2 assists. The two 3's she hit were off the dribble step back shots she created with the defender i her grill. And from other posters who have witnessed other practices her shooting was not a one day thing. She does appear to be able to shoot. It appears that Mulkey might be thinking of transitioning her to the off guard position as well as playing her at the wing. This would open up some time at the wing position.

Just because you have not seen a player do something does not mean they can not do it. What needs to be remembered is that DeCosta represented her team in the skills challenge at the Worlds U 18 competition. Williams from Uconn was on that same team. Decosta took 3rd and had the second best time posted. There were some really good ball handlers there. Watching the event and clips it is apparent that she is better in the open floor where her handles and quickness can be of more use. That is why she was so effective and was MVP in the event. I think her future will be at guard.

Last edited by willtalk on 10/19/18 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/19/18 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't mean to prolong a debate about DeCosta, but her stats in high level games -- USAB and All-Star -- show not only that she doesn't take three-point shots, but that her two-point shooting, which presumably was mostly close to the basket, was also at consistently lousy percentages.

Good luck to her, and I hope she works hard on her shooting. If she's the FOY in April, I'll walk to Waco instead of Clay, although I'd rather walk to NorCal. (Assuming I have my wife's and doctor's permission.)
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 10/19/18 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 10/19/18 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For UCONN Christyn Williams will be that impact freshman as she is ready for prime time. ONO has gained weight and is no longer the skinny minny kid we saw in high school (CD works her magic once again) but still needs to learn to play at the next level. By March the super talented frosh will be ready and not be pushed around.

PostPosted: 10/22/18 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Going back to my comments on ND and Jordan Nixon, here's a podcast of a Muffet McGraw interview where she talks about Nixon (freshmen are brought up around the 4:30 mark).

http://podbay.fm/show/998706920/e/1539903350?autostart=1

McGraw said that Jordan is "really coming along extremely well." She said that Jordan watches video of every practice afterwards.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: