RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Big 12 Coaches Poll

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calbearman76

PostPosted: 10/17/18 6:03 pm    ::: Big 12 Coaches Poll Reply Reply with quote

Baylor is the choice to win the Big 12, but Texas got 2 of the 10 first Place votes, so one coach voted Texas over Baylor.

2018-19 Big 12 Conference Women's Basketball Preseason Poll

1. Baylor (8) 80
2. Texas (2) 72
3. West Virginia 65
4. TCU 49
5. Oklahoma 47
6. Iowa State 44
7. Oklahoma St. 34
8. Kansas St. 29
9. Kansas 21
10. Texas Tech 9

2018-19 BIG 12 WOMEN'S BASKETBALL
PRESEASON AWARDS
(coaches not allowed to vote for own players)
Preseason Player of the Year
Kalani Brown, Baylor, C, 6-5, Sr, Slidell, La.
Preseason Newcomer of the Year
Danni Williams, Texas, G, 5-10, Gr, Clovis, N.M.
Preseason Co-Freshmen of the Year
NaLyssa Smith, Baylor, F, 6-2, Converse, Texas
Charli Collier, Texas, F/C, 6-5, Mont Belvieu, Texas

Preseason All-Big 12 Team

Kalani Brown
Baylor

Lauren Cox
Baylor

Bridget Carleton
Iowa State

Kayla Goth
K-State

Shaina Pellington
Oklahoma

Braxtin Miller
Oklahoma State

Amy Okonkwo
TCU

Lashann Higgs
Texas

Joyner Holmes
Texas

Tynice Martin
West Virginia

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 10/17/18 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think TCU is too high and West Virginia might struggle having no real post player.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/17/18 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My reaction to the Big 12 poll is "who cares after Baylor and Texas."

It's not as bad as the gap from UConn to the rest of the AAC, but it's a pretty big gap.

What has happened to OU?

calbearman76

PostPosted: 10/17/18 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
I think TCU is too high and West Virginia might struggle having no real post player.

West Virginia is certainly a bit of a mystery but they have the talent to be a top 25 team if things go right. Tynice Martin is a top player in the backcourt along with Karina Pardee. De'jonae Boykin* (transfer from Penn St) could be very good in the front court along with Naomi Davenport. Theresa Ekhalor should be able to defend inside and probably won't have to contribute that much offense. Whether they can come together as a team is a question, but I like Mike Carey as their coach.

*Edit: I believed that Boykin was eligible this season but I now see she may not be. Can anyone confirm her status?

Last edited by calbearman76 on 10/17/18 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 10/17/18 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:

West Virginia is certainly a bit of a mystery but they have the talent to be a top 25 team if things go right. Tynice Martin is a top player in the backcourt along with Karina Pardee. Dejonae Boykin (transfer from Penn St) could be very good in the front court along with Naomi Davenport. Theresa Ekhalor should be able to defend inside and probably won't have to contribute that much offense. Whether they can come together as a team is a question, but I like Mike Carey as their coach.

DeJonae Boykin still isn't elegibke this year. They are trying to make her elegibke this year but it isn't certain. She didn't really show much at Penn State so I don't know how good she really is. Ekhalor hasn't done anything to show she can defend yet. I could be wrong. They do have great guards though. Kysre G is really good as well.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 10/17/18 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:

West Virginia is certainly a bit of a mystery but they have the talent to be a top 25 team if things go right. Tynice Martin is a top player in the backcourt along with Karina Pardee. Dejonae Boykin (transfer from Penn St) could be very good in the front court along with Naomi Davenport. Theresa Ekhalor should be able to defend inside and probably won't have to contribute that much offense. Whether they can come together as a team is a question, but I like Mike Carey as their coach.

DeJonae Boykin still isn't elegibke this year. They are trying to make her elegibke this year but it isn't certain. She didn't really show much at Penn State so I don't know how good she really is. Ekhalor hasn't done anything to show she can defend yet. I could be wrong. They do have great guards though. Kysre G is really good as well.

Thanks for the information

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/17/18 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TCU? Who are their top three players?

Let's hope the real UT can finally bash the fake BU.
Howee

PostPosted: 10/17/18 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My only difference of opinion from the poll is I'd probably do a flip-flop swap-out of Iowa State with WVU. Tynice Martin IS 'all that', but .... carry them to a 3rd place finish? I doubt it.

That #3-#7 range is (like the last few years) anybody's guess.

Poor Texas-Tech. Maybe they can hope to beat out KS for cellar-dweller. They usta be so good, once upon a Sheryl-Plenette-Jia Time.

PostPosted: 10/17/18 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

What has happened to OU?

2 upperclasswomen,
7 freshmen. 3 sophomores.

- Amanda Gorman
Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 10/17/18 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Let's hope the real UT can finally bash the fake BU.

Amy Okonkwo (probably butchered her last name), Jordan Moore, and Amber Ramirez; however Ramirez transferred to Arkansas. I feel like last year they over achieved a bit during conference play.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/18/18 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

What has happened to OU?

2 upperclasswomen,

How does a program like OU get itself into that position?

ucbart

PostPosted: 10/18/18 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

What has happened to OU?

2 upperclasswomen,

It's hard to believe that in the 90's and early 2000's Texas Tech was consistently a Top-20 team. Talk about a program that has fallen into the depths of terribleness.

adamj95

PostPosted: 10/18/18 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

What has happened to OU?

2 upperclasswomen,

It's hard to believe that in the 90's and early 2000's Texas Tech was consistently a Top-20 team. Talk about a program that has fallen into the depths of terribleness.

It’s about to get even worse with Marlene “no defense” Stollings.

PostPosted: 10/24/18 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

What has happened to OU?

2 upperclasswomen,

I can remember going to see Baylor/Texas Tech games at Baylor. There'd be about 1500-2000 people at the game with roughly 200 Baylor fans. It's kind of rough being outnumber in your own gym. Of course, it hasn't run that way for a while.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/24/18 1:58 pm    ::: Re: Big 12 Coaches Poll Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
2018-19 BIG 12 WOMEN'S BASKETBALL
PRESEASON AWARDS

Preseason Co-Freshmen of the Year
NaLyssa Smith, Baylor, F, 6-2, Converse, Texas
Charli Collier, Texas, F/C, 6-5, Mont Belvieu, Texas

Interesting choices.

Per the scouts, NaLyssa Smith is more of a power forward at this point - a pro-body insider with an emerging face up game. Given that Kalani Brown and Lauren Cox are both returning in the frontcourt, plus the addition of Queen Egbo, Smith will be competing with Aquira DeCosta for the default small forward position (another pro-body left-handed insider with developing face up game, per the scouts).

At Texas, Charli Collier will likely start behind Jatrie White and Joyner Holmes in the frontcourt. Lashann Higgs and Danni Williams will definitely (well, likely) be starting in the backcourt, and Collier is not a small forward.

Frankly, I was expecting to see Ashley Joens (Iowa State) as a leading candidate for Freshman of the Year. Joens was the No. 2 scorer and top 3-point shooter on the USA under-18 team that won the gold medal at the FIBA Americas Championship. She can play next to Bridget Carleton and, with the graduation of Emily Durr, will have an open road to be Iowa State's second leading scorer.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/24/18 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Amy Okonkwo (probably butchered her last name), Jordan Moore, and Amber Ramirez; however Ramirez transferred to Arkansas. I feel like last year they over achieved a bit during conference play.

Shmermerer1 wrote:

TCU lost Amber Ramirez (transfer to Arkansas) and Toree Thompson (graduation), both of whom were primarily starters. They were the 3rd and 4th leading scorers, respectively.

But more importantly, they both shot 39.2 percent from three, with both making over 50 threes on the season (65 for Ramirez; 51 for Thompson). They combined for 116 threes; the rest of the team had 137 threes combined.

TCU shot 253-687 (.368) from three last season. Ramirez and Thompson combined to shoot 116-296 from three (39.2 percent). And their 116 made three point baskets represents 45.85 percent of TCU's made threes last year.

TCU's 9-9 Big 12 finish in 2017-2018 is tied for its best since joining the league. But TCU lost two key guards, the incoming class is short on elite perimeter players. Not sure from where the backcourt scoring is going to originate.

Or are the other teams in the middle of the pack (Oklahoma, Iowa State, Oklahoma State) more interchangeable, and TCU got the benefit (in the voting) of having its top two scorers return?

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 10/24/18 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Madi Williams has a chance to be the 2nd best player on the Oklahoma team, she’s my pick for FOY

Joyner is up for the Top small forward of the year award, so Texas will probably try and go big when she returns, I expect to see Collier start.

OU hasn’t been good because Sherri can’t consistently bring in talent, and she hasn’t shown the ability to make players better.
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/24/18 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Joyner is up for the Top small forward of the year award, so Texas will probably try and go big when she returns, I expect to see Collier start.

Watching her game, she does not have consistent shooting range outside the paint. She attempted seven threes last year, making zero. As an aside, her free throw shooting percentage is also relatively low (.565) last year, though she was at 68 percent during her freshman season (where she also went 2-12 from three).

Joyner is an interior player, who can attack the rim from the mid-post area. But she does not have the offensive skillset (specifically, shooting range) to play small forward against elite teams.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/24/18 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
OU hasn’t been good because Sherri can’t consistently bring in talent, and she hasn’t shown the ability to make players better.

Couldn't DISAGREE more. Oklahoma hasn't been consistently OUTSTANDING, yes, but "good"?? Ya.

In my opinion, she does better than most would do with the (generally) mediocre talent she does get. She had her glory days with the likes of Dales, the Paris twins, etc. Sherri certainly has not kept pace in the most recent recruiting wars with Texas and Baylor.

Re: making players better? Easily debatable. The Paris twins are a good example of players who might not have been all that great elsewhere. Nicole Griffin, Whitney Hand, D-Rob, etc....she's had some decent winning seasons with lesser talent. She ain't in the hall of fame for her looks alone.

This year will be a Big Plus for them even if she makes the top half of the Big 12. With 10 of the 12 on her roster being either freshmen or sophomores, that still couldn't surprise me.`

PostPosted: 10/26/18 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OU is pretty much a treadmill team that's just good enough to make the NCAAs for the past few years. OU is good enough to finish with a winning record, finish in the top half of Big 12 standings, and make the NCAAs (19 straight appearances. Fifth current longest streak). They also haven't won at least an Big 12 regular season or tournament championship in 10 years, and haven't made it past the 2nd round of the NCAAs in 5 years.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/26/18 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
OU is pretty much a treadmill team that's just good enough to make the NCAAs for the past few years. OU is good enough to finish with a winning record, finish in the top half of Big 12 standings, and make the NCAAs (19 straight appearances. Fifth current longest streak). They also haven't won at least an Big 12 regular season or tournament championship in 10 years, and haven't made it past the 2nd round of the NCAAs in 5 years.

....all of which is better than 70-80% of the teams in the country. So yes, they're "good". Which is hugely subjective term. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: