RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Opening Weekend in One Location?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
awhom111

PostPosted: 10/14/18 3:25 pm    ::: Opening Weekend in One Location? Reply Reply with quote

More leagues in Europe seem to be moving towards this format. All games on their opening weekend are played in one location, either at the home gym of one team or at a neutral site.

Would this be an idea for the WNBA to explore, especially in the current 12 team format? It could also be used in place of the All Star Game in Olympic years as the only time to get everyone in the same place all season.

Hosts could rotate like the All Star Game or the defending champion could get the right to host. I think I like the idea of a neutral site, which could bring games to markets that don't have a team or couldn't sustain a team for a whole season. The idea that I like the best would be to have it in Knoxville and then have the Women's Basketball HOF induction ceremony on the same weekend.
ClayK

PostPosted: 10/14/18 4:08 pm    ::: Re: Opening Weekend in One Location? Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
More leagues in Europe seem to be moving towards this format. All games on their opening weekend are played in one location, either at the home gym of one team or at a neutral site.

Would this be an idea for the WNBA to explore, especially in the current 12 team format? It could also be used in place of the All Star Game in Olympic years as the only time to get everyone in the same place all season.

Hosts could rotate like the All Star Game or the defending champion could get the right to host. I think I like the idea of a neutral site, which could bring games to markets that don't have a team or couldn't sustain a team for a whole season. The idea that I like the best would be to have it in Knoxville and then have the Women's Basketball HOF induction ceremony on the same weekend.

Las Vegas is always a good option -- easy to get to, plenty of hotels.

PostPosted: 10/14/18 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sure, have the opening weekend hosted by the Mystics in their new arena. That'll look good on TV. Laughing

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
tfan

PostPosted: 10/15/18 2:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A neutral location would allow the league and potential owners to test out “the WNBA would do well in ...” theories. Could also be done in exhibition season.

Randy

PostPosted: 10/15/18 7:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is like my idea of a post season tournament instead of playoffs. I think a tournament would create a lot more buzz than a bunch of playoff games being held in whatever arena the teams can somehow manage to find. I'm sure it won't ever happen though.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/15/18 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Smartest idea: Potential buyer of team decides where a team should go.

Thinking a team would do well in Knoxville doesn’t mean much if there’s no buyer for a team in Knoxville.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
hyperetic

PostPosted: 10/15/18 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wouldn't that negate it being the "home" opener thing? Well I guess not because your first game at home would be your "home" opener. But still that idea seems to fly in the face of the lucky home fans that would normally get to see their home team play their season opener at... home.
Happycappie25

PostPosted: 10/16/18 6:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Something like this I've heard from aau coaches for years of course they want it tied to July evaluation season and their events not crazy but given how teams market entertainment experience in the US as much as game itself not sure if it's work in with an earlier poster doing it in post season makes more sense esp if you did the one and done rounds neutral site over a weekend

PostPosted: 10/16/18 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
Something like this I've heard from aau coaches for years of course they want it tied to July evaluation season and their events not crazy but given how teams market entertainment experience in the US as much as game itself not sure if it's work in with an earlier poster doing it in post season makes more sense esp if you did the one and done rounds neutral site over a weekend

Given the ridiculous schedule of AAU events -- up to six games in three days -- I'm not sure how much attendance would be gained by having a big WNBA event in the same city as a viewing period event.

Then again, it couldn't hurt, but it would seem to me that no owner wants to give up a home game and pay for more travel so a couple hundred girls could come to games.

PostPosted: 10/16/18 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I seem to recall 3-teams coming to the Connecticut Sun home arena to play exhibition games on the same day in pre-season, at least once, but possibly more than that. But I don't know why that occurred, as in who asked for or benefited from it. I guess an extra exhibition game (or maybe it was 3 extra) on a weekend could draw more people to the Mohegan Sun, but don't know if it is enough to justify teams playing extra away exhibition games.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/16/18 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If it's going to be done, I like the idea of doing it at a neutral location (such as the location of a potential future WNBA franchise). Do it in an existing WNBA city and one* game will be well attended with the rest empty.

(* unless you hold it in DC or Indianapolis in which case all games would be empty)

PostPosted: 10/16/18 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Sun hosted four games this for the 2018 pre-season. Sparks, Sun, Liberty and Wings played four games over two days.

Orlando (at Disney) hosted a pre-season tourney in 2014

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-wnba-preseason-games-disney-report-0511-20140511-story.html

calbearman76

PostPosted: 10/16/18 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unfortunately I really doubt that such an event would actually draw. The start of the WNBA season is going against the NBA playoffs, the Stanley Cup and MLB. Depending on the weekend, it my also be going up against the Preakness. Playing six games (presumably 3 each day on Saturday and Sunday) would not get full TV coverage. The only positive would be having everyone together for media coverage, but it is unlikely that it would result in more stories in mainstream outlets.

tfan

PostPosted: 10/17/18 7:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
The Sun hosted four games this for the 2018 pre-season. Sparks, Sun, Liberty and Wings played four games over two days.

There may have been other Sun pre-season events like this.

http://sun.wnba.com/news/sun-announce-preseason-schedule/

Quote:
“The four-team, two-day preseason tournament has become a popular tradition and we’re thrilled to once again host a great line-up of teams at Mohegan Sun Arena,” Connecticut Sun Vice President Amber Cox said.

Randy wrote:

Orlando (at Disney) hosted a pre-season tourney in 2014

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-wnba-preseason-games-disney-report-0511-20140511-story.html

It kinda rings a bell that the Orlando event was in conjunction with a girls AAU tournament.

Quote:
In front of an announced crowd of 3,194, rookie Asia Taylor fit just fine, leading the Lynx with 18 points.

The four-team tournament, which began Friday, coincided with an Amateur Athletic Union girls basketball tournament.

BamaEd

PostPosted: 10/17/18 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I actually don't mind this for some reason. Having it in Orlando (or Anaheim, but more likely Orlando) and sponsored by Disney would help defray costs for teams as well. Friday-Sunday, 2 games per day. Have it at the park to help boost attendance. If done well, it could be a great showcase for the league and for Disney.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: