RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn 2018-19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/03/18 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:

Last year Williams took all of her visits and still ended up at Uconn.

And your point is........?

You don't find a bit silly the mutual chest bumping between UConn and Stanford fans that she was only considering two schools when the reality was she was in the air on her way to visit somewhere else?

The relevance of Williams to that is zero. I'm not the one proclaiming where she will end up.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/03/18 11:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jordan Horston explains one reason why she chose Tennessee over UConn:

Quote:
“I was on my UConn visit, and there was a person there with a Tennessee outfit on – the whole outfit was Tennessee,” Horston said. “Everywhere I would go I would see orange stuff, Tennessee stuff. I said, ‘Maybe, this is God telling me this is the school for me.”
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 10/04/18 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Quote:
“I was on my UConn visit, and there was a person there with a Tennessee outfit on – the whole outfit was Tennessee,” Horston said. “Everywhere I would go I would see orange stuff, Tennessee stuff. I said, ‘Maybe, this is God telling me this is the school for me.”

Yeah, like god (fictional character) gives two shits where she goes to school. Where do these people come up with this ridiculous nonsense.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/06/18 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jordan Horston really impressed me in the U17 games. She's fast, athletic, multipositional, a good shooter, a very good passer, and a demon on defense -- if a little bit too aggressive and out of control at times. Comparisons are always imperfect, but a young Angel McCoughtry sort of comes to mind. I think UConn began focusing on her late in her career, when other schools such as Tennessee already had hooks in her heart and mind.

So, the Huskies only have one commit from 2019 so far and none yet from 2020.

I think UConn's biggest 2019 mistake was losing interest in, or ignoring, or pulling their scholarship offer to -- or WHATEVER the heck happened with -- Samantha Brunelle, who seemed strongly to prefer UConn until she was spurned. I was not at all impressed with Brunelle on the U17 team or in other games I've seen, and I'm confident she's not as good as Haley Jones, but that's not why she should have been pursued. It's that she's very close with Paige Bueckers and Azzi Fudd, both genuine superstar material, and if recruiting Brunelle would have increased the chances of getting Bueckers and/or Fudd by a fraction of a percent, it would have been worth it. Plus, Brunelle could have been at least a solid high bench player, and maybe more.

Now, the only two 2019's left on UConn's radar, as far as I know, are Aliyyah Boston and Haley Jones. If UConn gets both, they will have a really good 2019 class. If they get neither, they will be very thin and in trouble (for them) next season after Collier and Samuelson graduate.
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/07/18 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, like god (fictional character) gives two shits where she goes to school. Where do these people come up with this ridiculous nonsense.

I kinda like omens. Maybe next year when a top recruit is visiting UConn I can find someone with Stanford gear to hang out around Storrs. Or maybe several of them! It would be hilarious if a whole bunch of schools started doing this. I could just see someone in an Oregon Duck mascot suit waddling around for instance.

- Amanda Gorman
LitePal

PostPosted: 10/07/18 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jessica Mendoza related how she began her first softball practice at Stanford and wore UCLA shorts. She was told to leave and not return until she was appropriately attired.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 10/07/18 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UCONN will be fine going into next year with Nelson-Ododa, Dangerfield, Coombs, Gordon, Walker, Williams and Griffin. If Camara comes back then all the better but that is a big if. It would be nice to get Boston or Jones but does not signal their death knell if they don’t. I do believe Laeticia Amihere is still on their radar. They have enough to get to the FF and win this year and next.

PostPosted: 10/12/18 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
I do believe Laeticia Amihere is still on their radar.

This article says Amihere is down to Kentucky, Louisville and South Carolina.
ucbart

PostPosted: 10/12/18 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have a bad feeling about this recruiting year in regards to UCONN. I really think it'll be a class of one and we will find someone late to make it two. I don't think Jones or Boston will come to UCONN. I have no inside information, just my gut telling me.

If that happens and UCONN doesn't have a blockbuster 2020-2021 freshman class, it's going to be very interesting times in Storrs.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/12/18 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

Crying or Very sad guess education isn't all 'that' high on the list...

- Amanda Gorman
summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/12/18 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

Maybe her grades aren't high enough for your institution, myrtle. Not everyone can....

PostPosted: 10/14/18 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

I believe you be right, Myrtle - not high at all.

PostPosted: 10/14/18 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

Thanks, Glen - yes saw that a couple of days ago.

PostPosted: 10/16/18 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Like I said before last season ended, Williams didn’t pick Uconn to sit the bench.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball/hc-sp-uconn-women-katie-lou-samuelson-aac-20181015-story.html
acsuc99

PostPosted: 10/18/18 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Like I said before last season ended, Williams didn’t pick Uconn to sit the bench.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball/hc-sp-uconn-women-katie-lou-samuelson-aac-20181015-story.html

Anyone with eyes who watched the First Night can see the starting lineup is Crystal, Christyn, KLS, Pheesa, and Megan.

There is a huge drop off in talent after those 5 players on this roster. If Geno couldn't be brought to sub last year with someone like Walker on his bench not sure what he's gonna do this year. Kyla and Camara seem a bit ahead of where Nelson is. Nelson looks too skinny and raw to me. If Kyla is the best bench player my guess is the starters will be playing near 40 mins a game against top teams. Lexi Gordon didn't look half bad but who knows where she stands. Coombs and Bent still look like 2 of the most puzzling additions to the UConn basketball family in quite some time. Coombs again at First Night went up for a lay up that bounced about 5 feet away from the rim. She does that every appearance.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/18/18 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
If Kyla is the best bench player my guess is the starters will be playing near 40 mins a game against top teams.

Even if true, so what?

How many games does UConn play this year prior to, say the Elite 8, where it faces a legitimate threat of losing? I count three - Baylor, ND and Louisville. Who else? Cal? DePaul? Purdue? SCar? I don't think so. And for the other 23 games Geno could draw names from a hat to decide who plays and still win by 20 pts or better.

I don't see the problem if they have to play five players almost exclusively in three games.

Isn't that what both UConn and Notre Dame did most of last year? They both seemed to survive ok.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/18/18 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:
If Kyla is the best bench player my guess is the starters will be playing near 40 mins a game against top teams.

Even if true, so what?

How many games does UConn play this year prior to, say the Elite 8, where it faces a legitimate threat of losing? I count three - Baylor, ND and Louisville. Who else? Cal? DePaul? Purdue? SCar? I don't think so. And for the other 23 games Geno could draw names from a hat to decide who plays and still win by 20 pts or better.

I don't see the problem if they have to play five players almost exclusively in three games.

Isn't that what both UConn and Notre Dame did most of last year? They both seemed to survive ok.

True, but Muffet's Mighty Shillelagh Machine should definitely be stronger this season while UConn will be weaker. It would be a stretch to assume that freshman Christyn Williams will be as good this season as senior Kia Nurse was last season, and it'd be an even greater stretch to equate ONO with Azura Stevens. And then there's the gaping hole left by All-American Gabby Williams.

I have blind faith that ONO will be better than whatever she showed at First Night, and that Geno will actually have the luxury of a six player rotation. Agreed, it won't really matter until the Sweet 16 . . . when close games and Gen-0 don't mix well.
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 10/19/18 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UCONN is going to be just fine, matter of fact more than fine. I believe this team come March will be in a better place than the last two years.

I believe that Williams will indeed have a significant positive impact on the team. She is fearless and will not play like a deer in the headlights freshman. Also she will be that additional competent ball handler to compliment Dangerfield that the Huskies did not have last year - a huge upside for the Huskies

ONO will progress at a slower pace but none the less will be effective come March.

Walker will have the breakout year that belies her enormous talent and that the will alone elevate UCONN to a level not obtained by the team the last two years.

Both Samuelson and Dangerfield are finally 100 percent healthy unlike last year a significant change, Crystal is also as a junior ready to assume the mantle of floor leader which we caught only in glimpses last year. She be like Moriah. Katie will be that go to dagger three shooter in crunch time and either Williams or Dangerfield will get her the ball.

Camara is progressing though she still express having some soreness in the leg. She is in a better place than last year so her contribution is on the uptick. Can see her also making an impact come March.

Collier will return to her sophomore All American form that we saw only in spurts last year. She is ready to take the next step in her senior year.

Lastly, Geno is happy with the progress of both Coombs and Gordon so their contribution as minute fillers, albeit not over the top but good enough to competently spell the starters, will be welcomed. They are Bill Russell's succinct definition of a bench - just hold the line.

All in all, UCONN will take a backseat to no one come March. No one. Go Huskies. See you all in Tampa.

Last edited by Oldfandepot2 on 10/19/18 11:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/19/18 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That was a cheery post, OFD.

I think the strongest point, and one I forgot, is that Megan Walker may have the talent to leap from inconsistent bench player to near-star.
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 10/19/18 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
That was a cheery post, OFD.

I think the strongest point, and one I forgot, is that Megan Walker may have the talent to leap from inconsistent bench player to near-star.

Yes it was, wasn't it - based in pragmatism. Yes on Walker.

PostPosted: 10/19/18 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Auriemma has to cover his ass with regard to not playing a #1 rated high school player much as a freshman - when he also didn't need her (until late in the tournament). Hence we now have a miraculous conversion by Walker. This #1 high school player came in like a bum mentally. But suddenly she has a good work ethic. Suddenly she has a good attitude. Suddenly she has good confidence. Why it's a complete 180 that took place over the summer!!!!! And just coincidentally, this year he needs to play her.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 10/20/18 12:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Auriemma has to cover his ass with regard to not playing a #1 rated high school player much as a freshman - when he also didn't need her (until late in the tournament). Hence we now have a miraculous conversion by Walker. This #1 high school player came in like a bum mentally. But suddenly she has a good work ethic. Suddenly she has a good attitude. Suddenly she has good confidence. Why it's a complete 180 that took place over the summer!!!!! And just coincidentally, this year he needs to play her.

I think Geno has enough credibility that he doesn't owe anybody an explanation. If Walker had a big problem with it, she would've landed somewhere else by now. Look at Crystal, she was seldom used her freshman season, but became the lead guard her sophomore season. Megan didn't have the umph her freshman season and she looked out of sorts at times. Look at Collier, she went from an okay freshman to an All-American her sophomore season while more than tripling her scoring average.

Not every freshman that comes in is going to be Maya Moore. Heck even Tina had an up and down freshman season. Also, being the #1 recruit doesn't always mean anything. Lauren Cox had to adjust and now she's a staple for Baylor. To be honest, I think Megan will be fine. She will be a solid role player in her career at the very least, but I think she could be a primary player in the next few years.

tfan

PostPosted: 10/20/18 1:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:

I think Geno has enough credibility that he doesn't owe anybody an explanation.

Then I wish he hadn't given us a dubious player-disparaging one.

Quote:
If Walker had a big problem with it, she would've landed somewhere else by now. Look at Crystal, she was seldom used her freshman season, but became the lead guard her sophomore season. Megan didn't have the umph her freshman season and she looked out of sorts at times. Look at Collier, she went from an okay freshman to an All-American her sophomore season while more than tripling her scoring average.

Not every freshman that comes in is going to be Maya Moore. Heck even Tina had an up and down freshman season. Also, being the #1 recruit doesn't always mean anything. Lauren Cox had to adjust and now she's a staple for Baylor. To be honest, I think Megan will be fine. She will be a solid role player in her career at the very least, but I think she could be a primary player in the next few years.

You appear to be arguing "adjusting to playing at the next level". Whereas, Auriemma claims a horrible mental state her freshman year - lazy, bad attitude, unconfident - that suddenly went away after Gabby Williams, Kiah Nurse and Azura Stevens went to the WNBA and very-short-bench Auriemma needed to find someone else to play.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 10/20/18 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

Have been following Megan's progression throughout the summer via numerous local articles and local reports via social media and yes her work ethic did change as has most importantly her attitude. She was always that exceptional talented player in so far as skill set now she has apparently coupled that talent with personal maturation.

Geno indeed took a lot of flack for not playing her last year including from this poster. I don't think it took a miraculous epiphany from Megan nor desperation from Geno - just a natural, typical UCONN freshman progression that many of his elite recruits go through - some take that next step and some never do at Storrs.

I am by no means a defender of Geno as many will attest to as I often disagree, sometimes vehemently, with his treatment of players as he does not walk on water contrary to what the denizens of the Boneyard believe and can in fact be an outright bastard. His approach with this team overall appears to be much more subdued allowing them even in the time before formal practice to set their own work schedule. I don't believe desperation has anything to do with it just seeing the team he has and coaching accordingly.

PostPosted: 10/20/18 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What I saw of Walker last year was not very impressive. She did look out of sorts, kind of lost on the floor and made rookie mistakes with the ball. Having been 'the stud' in HS sometimes it is a bit of a shock. I couldn't blame Geno for not playing her more...though in general I always complain about him not playing his bench in blowouts. In short, she looked like a Freshman. Now we get to see if she can make that Sophomore leap.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 13 of 18

Jump to: