RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Guidance Counselor Placed on Leave for Same Sex Marriage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/16/18 9:05 am    ::: Guidance Counselor Placed on Leave for Same Sex Marriage Reply Reply with quote

Don't know if you've read about this. She has been in a same sex 💕relationship for 22 years, married for 4 and they have a 12 year old child they adopted.

Someone found out that she was married and sent a copy of her marriage license to the school. A catholic school. ⛪

https://www.wthr.com/article/exclusive-roncalli-counselor-speaks-out-after-she-claims-school-threatened-fire-her-over

Quote:
Each time Fitzgerald signed her contract at Roncalli, she says she knew that meant keeping her personal life a secret. To strangers, on social media, and to her bosses, she stayed silent about her wife, so that she could help students at the same Catholic high school she attended.

"I have had nieces and nephews and cousins that have gone to Roncalli that before their freshman year I've had to say to them, 'You can't say anything to anybody'," Fitzgerald explained.

But who she loves has now put the job she loves at risk.

https://www.wishtv.com/news/local-news/roncalli-counselor-says-she-can-no-longer-access-work-email/1368994069

Quote:
"The only reason I would ever want to know who turned it in would only be to want to know who to forgive," Fitzgerald said.👏*

*I'm thinking that someone's once proud moment is now (hopefully) a regretful moment.

Now lots of people are coming to her support.

A board member resigned. 🙍‍♂️

https://fox59.com/2018/08/15/roncalli-board-member-shows-support-for-guidance-counselor-by-resigning/

Quote:
“In every way, Shelly has been a faithful minister of the Church’s teachings and she has always preached the message of the Gospel in the meetings with my family,” Parker wrote. “”I believe her to be one of the greatest assets at Roncalli High School.”

Former salutatorian sent back medal and requested to be removed from the records as being a salutatorian. 🥇

https://www.wthr.com/article/roncalli-grad-mails-back-salutatorian-medal-protest-counselors-suspension

Quote:
"If I kept that medal, I think I run the risk of being associated with an exclusionary mission, rather than an inclusionary one," said Brown.

Someone started an online petition.📜

https://www.wthr.com/article/thousands-sign-online-petition-support-shelly-fitzgerald

Quote:
The Care2 petition in support of Shelly Fitzgerald launched Wednesday and more than 3,000 people have signed it.*

*It's now at 8,071 (was 7,700 when I first started this post.

There ought to be a law. 👩‍⚖️👮‍♂️

https://fox59.com/2018/08/15/lawmaker-proposing-anti-discrimination-bill-after-lesbian-guidance-counselors-suspension/

Quote:
“The law wouldn’t say that a private institution…the state’s not coming in to tell them how to operate,” said Forestal. “What we’re saying is if you choose to operate in a discriminatory manner, then you will no longer be rewarded with public dollars.”*

*Roncalli receives tax monies through a voucher program.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/16/18 10:36 am    ::: Re: Guidance Counselor Placed on Leave for Same Sex Marriage Reply Reply with quote

It's nice that board members, graduates, and the rest of the school community are upset, but are they somehow surprised by this policy? Was the bigotry of school policies somehow kept secret? Or did they just not care until affected someone they knew?

justintyme

PostPosted: 08/16/18 12:10 pm    ::: Re: Guidance Counselor Placed on Leave for Same Sex Marriage Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
It's nice that board members, graduates, and the rest of the school community are upset, but are they somehow surprised by this policy? Was the bigotry of school policies somehow kept secret? Or did they just not care until affected someone they knew?

To be fair, I know of more than a few of these places that are forced to have these sorts of "offical" policies due to their affiliation with a larger body (in this case the Catholic Church), but that choose not to enforce them. These people could have reasonably assumed that this school was such a place and that if actually pressed would have their employee's back, especially if this this councilor's relationship was fairly well known to students and coworkers and nothing had been said or done previously.

PostPosted: 08/16/18 12:29 pm    ::: Re: Guidance Counselor Placed on Leave for Same Sex Marriage Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

To be fair, I know of more than a few of these places that are forced to have these sorts of "offical" policies due to their affiliation with a larger body (in this case the Catholic Church), but that choose not to enforce them. These people could have reasonably assumed that this school was such a place and that if actually pressed would have their employee's back, especially if this this councilor's relationship was fairly well known to students and coworkers and nothing had been said or done previously.

I'd be surprised if this was as big of a secret as it's been portrayed to be. I mean, 22 years and a child??? I think the school leaders probably thought that until a stink was made that they would just let it go.

I think that it was some overzealous, self-important member of the Roncalli community that thought they would gain favor with the school/church by exposing this 'crime.'

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if she had kept quiet until it (hopefully) blew over and see if she still had a job. Then go to the press at the end of the year of they didn't renew her contract. Then she could at least ask why they let her finish the year if what she was doing was for harmful to the students.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/16/18 12:37 pm    ::: Re: Guidance Counselor Placed on Leave for Same Sex Marriage Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

I'd say no, no and yes. And I'd even say that it didn't have to be someone that they knew, just that it happened.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/16/18 3:42 pm    ::: Re: Guidance Counselor Placed on Leave for Same Sex Marriage Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

I don't mean you specifically, so I don't mean to criticize, but I always think this is such a bullshit excuse. Places are "forced to have a policy." They are part of an organization that has a policy. Full stop. If you go to a Catholic school, you are intentionally part of an organization with bigoted policies. You don't get to just look away and pretend the don't really count. If you do, you are part of the problem.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/16/18 4:36 pm    ::: Re: Guidance Counselor Placed on Leave for Same Sex Marriage Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
justintyme wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

I don't mean you specifically, so I don't mean to criticize, but I always think this is such a bullshit excuse. Places are "forced to have a policy." They are part of an organization that has a policy. Full stop. If you go to a Catholic school, you are intentionally part of an organization with bigoted policies. You don't get to just look away and pretend the don't really count. If you do, you are part of the problem.

Is it any different from my place of employment that has an IT policy that says that we can't write down our user names and passwords, they can't be anything that we use in our personal lives, we can't reuse them, they can't be anything that could easily be guessed, they can't be this and they can't be that, and we can't use "remember me", or anything else and I, myself, have at least 15 different user names and passwords that all have different requirements and expire at different times. I'm going to be getting access to a new program in a couple of weeks, so there's another one. My boss has every one that I have and more. And they think we're going to remember them!!! They will need to hire a bunch of new IT people to just re-set our passwords when we get locked out from too many failed log in attempts!

They KNOW that we write them down. They know that we use the same ones over and that they are passwords that we use in our personal lives. Hell, their's are too!

The only reason the policy is there is to show that they have one. They don't plan on enforcing it unless there is a breech and someone needs to be held accountable for it.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/16/18 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Page (her lawyer) said her coworkers and the administration knew she was gay and it was not a huge secret. Many, including students, do not agree with the school's decision and feel she should still be able to keep her job.

https://fox59.com/2018/08/16/roncalli-counselor-pushes-for-change-after-being-suspended-for-her-same-sex-marriage/

The petition is now at 12,576.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/17/18 4:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"Whatever the decision is, I'm hoping that Shelly can stay and make a change. I believe that this is the time we've waited for. I think that Shelly was chosen by God. I think she is as she's quoted, 'the catalyst of this.' We all support her; we all love her; the kids adore her. This has got to be changed, and it's got to be now," said Angela Goffinet, a Roncalli alumna.

https://www.wishtv.com/news/local-news/roncalli-students-alumni-protest-in-support-of-guidance-counselor/1377173208

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/17/18 12:08 pm    ::: Re: Guidance Counselor Placed on Leave for Same Sex Marriage Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
justintyme wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Is it any different from my place of employment that has an IT policy that says that we can't write down our user names and passwords, they can't be anything that we use in our personal lives, we can't reuse them, they can't be anything that could easily be guessed, they can't be this and they can't be that, and we can't use "remember me", or anything else and I, myself, have at least 15 different user names and passwords that all have different requirements and expire at different times. I'm going to be getting access to a new program in a couple of weeks, so there's another one. My boss has every one that I have and more. And they think we're going to remember them!!! They will need to hire a bunch of new IT people to just re-set our passwords when we get locked out from too many failed log in attempts!

They KNOW that we write them down. They know that we use the same ones over and that they are passwords that we use in our personal lives. Hell, their's are too!

The only reason the policy is there is to show that they have one. They don't plan on enforcing it unless there is a breech and someone needs to be held accountable for it.

Sure it's different than that. You're scenario doesn't have anything to do with bigotry and discrimination. I am baffled by someone who would make this kind of dismissive comparison.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/25/18 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

😒

Quote:
In the message, Principal Chuck Weisenbach said while discussing the importance of empathy with students, he provided examples of words that should never be tolerated. That's when, according to the apology, he said the "N word."

https://www.wishtv.com/news/local-news/roncalli-principal-apologizes-for-use-of-racial-slur-in-school-assembly/1393893136

justintyme

PostPosted: 08/25/18 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wait, so the issue is that in an academic setting, where they were discussing words that shouldn't be used, they forced him to apologize for using the word as he detailed the policy. WTF.

Seriously, people need to understand context. I have taught Huck Finn in American Lit and we called Jim by the name given to him in the text, not some bowdlerized version of it, and would never apologize for it.

PostPosted: 09/03/18 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She is going to be on Ellen Friday. I just set it to record. Cher will also be on!!!

https://www.wthr.com/article/suspended-roncalli-counselor-appear-ellen-show

Howee

PostPosted: 09/03/18 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yay Ellen! (Of course Cool )

I find this kind of thing so very rich, in the context of the Priestly Flustercuck that is The Roman Church.

PostPosted: 09/07/18 12:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not on Friday as originally planned.

Quote:
The Ellen Show segment featuring the guidance counselor suspended from Roncalli High School will not be airing on Friday.

Shelly Fitzgerald's interview was recorded on Thursday, but we just got word that it will now be shown on a later episode.

We'll pass along that date as soon as we find out.

https://www.wthr.com/article/suspended-roncalli-counselors-ellen-show-appearance-has-been-postponed

Ex-Ref wrote:
She is going to be on Ellen Friday. I just set it to record. Cher will also be on!!!

https://www.wthr.com/article/suspended-roncalli-counselor-appear-ellen-show

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 09/07/18 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now scheduled for Monday.

Quote:
According to Fitzgerald, her appearance is delayed due to a segment with Cher going long.

https://www.wthr.com/article/suspended-roncalli-counselors-ellen-show-appearance-gets-new-air-date

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/06/18 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Her job has now been posted...with an interesting note.

Quote:
The application includes a section that specifies applicants will be considered, regardless of marital status, as equal opportunity laws mandate.

"In compliance with federal and state equal opportunity laws, qualified applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, marital status, ancestry, or the presence of a disability."

Quote:
The Archdiocese has said Fitzgerald was suspended not because she's gay, but because she married another woman.

Fitzgerald's attorney told Eyewitness News steps are being taken to initiate litigation in this case.

I don't know, but it looks like she could be in for a big payday.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 11/17/18 5:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here we go again...same school!!!

Quote:
Two days after Fitzgerald was placed on leave, Starkey says Principal Chuck Weisenbach asked her if she had a civil union and answered truthfully. Starkey says she isn’t aware of any situation, other than herself and Fitzgerald, where the principal has asked an employee about potential violations of church teachings.

Starkey says the mistreatment of Fitzgerald has demonstrated that she is not welcome to work at the school as a gay person.

https://fox59.com/2018/11/16/second-roncalli-counselor-files-charge-against-school-claiming-discrimination-based-on-her-sexual-orientation/

https://www.wishtv.com/news/local-news/roncalli-guidance-counselor-files-discrimination-charges/1602429219

https://www.wthr.com/article/second-counselor-roncalli-files-discrimination-complaint-over-same-sex-union

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: