RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 89, 90, 91  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/29/18 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I've been thinking the same thing. I prefer Durr over KLS. Anigwe may be available at #14.

PG: Boyd/L. Allen(off waivers)
SG: Durr/Rodgers/Hartley
SF: Nurse/free agent
PF: Charles/Raincock-Ekunwe
C: Zahui B./Anigwe/Stokes

I would like this very much.

But I agree with Root Anigwe isn't making it out of the first round.

Maybe something like Hartley and #14 would be enough to move up to Conn or Washington's first round pick.

I also want to give Brown a chance to impress me this season, and McCowan (but for some reason I am just not feeling her ATM).

My latest idea which I don't see happening is the #2 pick for Deshields, but I don't see why Chicago does that unless the new coach/gm doesn't like Diamond or desperately wants to start Gabby at the 3.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/05/18 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://nypost.com/2018/10/04/msg-moving-ahead-with-plans-to-spin-off-the-knicks-and-rangers/

Quote:
MSG, meanwhile, reiterated Thursday it is exploring a sale for its WNBA team, the New York Liberty, a plan it announced last November.

Quote:
“Under Jim’s leadership, MSG has generated significant value for shareholders, nearly doubling MSG’s stock price, equating to an increase of $3.5 billion in market cap, since MSG was spun from MSG Networks in 2015,” a spokeswoman said.

“Now Jim is charting the company’s path for future growth, driven by the creation of state-of-the-art live entertainment venues.”

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ClayK

PostPosted: 10/05/18 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
https://nypost.com/2018/10/04/msg-moving-ahead-with-plans-to-spin-off-the-knicks-and-rangers/

Quote:
MSG, meanwhile, reiterated Thursday it is exploring a sale for its WNBA team, the New York Liberty, a plan it announced last November.

Quote:
“Under Jim’s leadership, MSG has generated significant value for shareholders, nearly doubling MSG’s stock price, equating to an increase of $3.5 billion in market cap, since MSG was spun from MSG Networks in 2015,” a spokeswoman said.

“Now Jim is charting the company’s path for future growth, driven by the creation of state-of-the-art live entertainment venues.”

I'm sure the new WNBA president will discuss all those "prospective buyers" out there ... just as every WNBA president has said in similar situations.

In this case, as in others before it, the lack of interest/value of the franchise could conceivably result in the folding of the whole operation. I sure hope not, and would love to hear some positive news from those closer to the situation.

PostPosted: 10/05/18 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Shades wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm sure the new WNBA president will discuss all those "prospective buyers" out there ... just as every WNBA president has said in similar situations.

In this case, as in others before it, the lack of interest/value of the franchise could conceivably result in the folding of the whole operation. I sure hope not, and would love to hear some positive news from those closer to the situation.

Stephen A. Smith & Max Kellerman [hard-core Knicks fans] both
revile James L. Dolan!!! Let that sink into your brain for a moment.
A man that owns one of the PRIMER sports properties in the WORLD
is a DOLT. This man is a living breathing saboteur of the New York
Knicks. To expect his "leadership" to build the Liberty into a winning
WNBA franchise is to believe in pink unicorns that fart pixe dust.

Randy

PostPosted: 10/05/18 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Shades wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Seems like the spin off plan is to sell the teams then charge them a rent for using MSG. So MSG makes more money while the teams are possibly losing money.

As for the Liberty - not clear from the article if they would be part of the spin off or the idea is sell them before the spin off.

toad455

PostPosted: 10/05/18 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Best case scenario for the Liberty is their new owner moves them to Brooklyn (Barclays).

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
root_thing

PostPosted: 10/05/18 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

Seems like the spin off plan is to sell the teams then charge them a rent for using MSG. So MSG makes more money while the teams are possibly losing money.

As for the Liberty - not clear from the article if they would be part of the spin off or the idea is sell them before the spin off.

When you do a spin-off, the new entity belongs to the current stockholders. They're hoping that the sum of the parts will be worth more than the whole. It's all about market capitalization as reflected in the stock price. Imagine you have a sandwich, a bag of chips, and a soda in your lunchbox. You take them out of the lunchbox and put them on your desk so everyone can see them. Hopefully, someone hungry walks by and offers you a lot of money for the sandwich, someone thirsty offers you a lot of money for the soda, and someone with the munchies offers you a lot for the chips. Greater and clearer visibility will help you capture the real value of the asset -- at least that's the theory.

Some of the big shareholders are looking at the astronomical prices being paid for sports franchises, and they want to cash in. However, Dolan wants to hold on to the teams because it makes him a big man in town. This is his way of trying to have his cake and eat it too. As a point of reference, the Atlanta Braves are publicly traded as The Liberty Braves Group (BATRA). According to Yahoo Finance, their current market cap is $1.343 billion. The Florida Marlins were sold last year for $1.2 billion. I'm not sure how the assets compare in terms of what is included -- for instance, BATRA includes a mixed-use development next to the stadium -- so it may be apples and oranges. However, my gut reaction is that the Braves should be worth more than a 12% premium over the Marlins. So, public trading of a team may not get you as much as selling the entire team to a private ownership group.

PostPosted: 10/05/18 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for explaining that. BTW - the Braves are a "tracking stock" which seems a bit different. Don't know about the Marlins.

root_thing

PostPosted: 10/05/18 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Thanks for explaining that. BTW - the Braves are a "tracking stock" which seems a bit different. Don't know about the Marlins.

Good point. I've had very little experience with tracking stocks. When Dell merged with EMC, we were issued a tracking stock for VMware because it was believed to have great potential value that was very hard to price. I'm sure some Finance professor could explain to you the finer points of risk associated with owning the tracking stock versus having a claim on the assets. To be honest, I just treated it like a regular stock. One could argue that a tracking stock is another route Dolan could have taken. Either way, I still don't think you'll get top dollar for a team until you sell the whole thing to someone who wants full control. The ego boost for the new owner is what gets them to overpay... that and the fact that there is always a "greater fool" down the road who will buy the team for an even higher price.

PostPosted: 10/30/18 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bpf6T0GAe7I/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

5thmantheme

PostPosted: 10/30/18 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<clicks link> ... Oooooooooo Naahhhhh !!

I'd pay to see this fight.
Spoon can handle flagrant fouls from true heavyweights, and is 3 fight weight classes stronger.
Rousey wouldn't be more maneuverable with the heels on, and her #1 finishing move would be stymied by the jacket = slide right out. Meanwhile, she can't breathe in that dress (or so I'm told).

Very Happy Wink

Randy

PostPosted: 10/30/18 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd take Spoon in one on one basketball, but Rousey in a fight. Both would be very one sided.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 12/04/18 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's quite a long Kia Nurse Q&A included in this Canadian Roundup
December's Canadian Round-Up: Kia Nurse Q&A, Keeping up with the Canadians, Chantal Vallee makes history

PostPosted: 12/05/18 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I'd take Spoon in one on one basketball, but Rousey in a fight. Both would be very one sided.

...not if Weatherspoon has to shoot from three.

Smile

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 12/07/18 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The latest from Hideous Lord Jimmy, right up to his usual standard:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/06/us/politics/knicks-james-dolan-fined.html

PostPosted: 12/18/18 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The schedule has been released. Still with 15 games at WCC. It should be noted the two camp games are listed as "TBD" for location, so we may not even get those games at MSG.

toad455

PostPosted: 12/18/18 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also, the Liberty will have some company this summer with an arena football team playing at Westchester CC. But how is it this gets a few games at MSG, but not the Liberty?

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/ny-sports-nal-street-football-arena-20181217-story.html?fbclid=IwAR1EG6IfG3QGDmpm5fvNimyFE_kPCj7umUuAyVDQ7-HjTznXpgQ8TtGyiHw

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 12/20/18 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Praise for Swin Cash for her "pointed criticism" of the Knicks during an MSG telecast. Scroll down to point #2:

https://nypost.com/2018/12/20/frank-ntilikinas-offense-has-disappeared-and-fizdale-knows-why/

PostPosted: 12/26/18 11:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Entering conference play, I’d be pretty satisfied with any of McCowan, Samuelson or Brown for NY. My feelings on Durr and Arike haven’t changed much. Great players, but the above 3 I think are the better fits.

I watched the MSU-Oregon game and was alternately impressed and underwhelmed by parts of McCowan’s game. On one hand Oregon played a triangle and two...a defense you’ll never see in the WNBA with the defensive 3 second rule. McCowan has improved her awareness and passing vs. double teams. What I didn’t see was the ability to execute post moves. Her raw ability is enough to be a 10-7 type of player who gives you rim protection as a rookie. The Libs need that so I’d live with that. Eventually you hope for development beyond that though.

KLS has improved her shot creation some, as well as her rebounding. Upper body strength is still an issue though.

I’m hoping Ionescu comes out. Even if there’s no trade and Vegas picks her, that leaves NY with its pick of the seniors. Other than Ionescu, every other player has a flaw that leaves you wondering how good they might be. Not saying Ionescu is perfect. Just saying I think it’s clear she’s an impact player fast. We can’t say that definitively about any other player in the draft.

PostPosted: 12/27/18 1:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know what to think anymore. I'm probably suffering from unreasonable expectations. We need a lot of help, so I want these players to look like saviors. However, they're all clearly flawed. It's also useful to remember what Katie Smith said after the draft:

Quote:
“We are looking at the guard position. Whether it is at the point guard spot, the two-guard or a scoring option in the backcourt. We were able to get Kia Nurse who can play one-three. Selecting a guard and then having a consistent go-to at the five who can produce and be productive is something that we can really use.”

The priority is a guard, and then secondarily a "productive" center. Sounds like she's referring more to scoring at the five rather than defense or rebounding. Then throw in the fact that Liberty social media posted a picture of Zellous and Prince working with T-Spoon at the practice facility around Thanksgiving. Odd behavior if both players don't expect to come back or if the team doesn't want them back. And of course, management re-signed Sugar at the end of the season. So, who knows what the heck is going on?

PostPosted: 12/27/18 2:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Entering conference play, I’d be pretty satisfied with any of McCowan, Samuelson or Brown for NY. My feelings on Durr and Arike haven’t changed much. Great players, but the above 3 I think are the better fits.

I watched the MSU-Oregon game and was alternately impressed and underwhelmed by parts of McCowan’s game. On one hand Oregon played a triangle and two...a defense you’ll never see in the WNBA with the defensive 3 second rule. McCowan has improved her awareness and passing vs. double teams. What I didn’t see was the ability to execute post moves. Her raw ability is enough to be a 10-7 type of player who gives you rim protection as a rookie. The Libs need that so I’d live with that. Eventually you hope for development beyond that though.

KLS has improved her shot creation some, as well as her rebounding. Upper body strength is still an issue though.

I’m hoping Ionescu comes out. Even if there’s no trade and Vegas picks her, that leaves NY with its pick of the seniors. Other than Ionescu, every other player has a flaw that leaves you wondering how good they might be. Not saying Ionescu is perfect. Just saying I think it’s clear she’s an impact player fast. We can’t say that definitively about any other player in the draft.

The weird thing is while watching the same season (though I think you follow college ball closer than I do) I have come to the exact opposite conclusion.

I am confident that Durr and Ogunbowale's offense will translate to the next level. I think it is a safe bet that both will be double digit scorers from day 1 and considering how anemic the Liberty offense has been adding either would pretty much make them the second option in NY where we haven't had a double digit scorer outside of Charles the past two seasons. I also think Durr and Ogunbowale will be borderline all-stars in the future and probably be at least mid to late cuts in the team USA camps the next few go rounds.

Yes both players play at our most populated position but with Nurse being big enough to play the 3 I would be fine going forward the next few years with Durr/Ogunbowale at the 2 Nurse at the 3 Charles as the 4 core.

I am less convinced now by McCowan and Brown. Yes they have the potential to be great at the next level, but I am feeling they are more likely to be OK to good. It would be a big risk to pass on them because of there size, potential and college production and Centers come at more of a premium than shooting/scoring guards but while I am confident Durr and Ogunbowale will translate on the offensive end to near top tier performers I am not as confident that McCowan and Brown get there. And while I would be kicking myself if we past of McCowan and/or Brown and they blew up ATM except for there size I am not even sure they will be better pros than Anigwe or even Gustafson or Turner when she is a few years away from her injury.

Now KLS is sort of the wild card for me ATM I could see her going the route of struggling tweener not big and strong enough to play PF at the next level and not fast enough to play SF. KLS might struggle to do what she is able to do now based on who she is defending night in and night out and who is defending her. OTOH Instead of being a tweener KLS could be a player who could play both at SF and PF and could become a mismatch nightmare for the opponent on the offensive end. If she can get herself to the second category she could become a reverse EDD light kind of player shooting over smaller defenders or pulling slower bigs out to the perimeter, dribbling past them or opening up lanes for her teammates. In the long run I think she will need to develop into being a stretch PF to be most successful at the next level but she has enough handle to start on the perimeter. But with those nice things said I won't be surprised that if in the W she ends up being a spot up shooter with a few tricks in her bag rather than an offensive power house, it might be worth taking the risk for the ceiling version but she seems the least safe choice of the top 6 players for being able to translate to an all-star type of player.

I agree with you about Ionescu I am definitely on her bandwagon now and would go a step further and say if she comes out NY should offer #2 and the player of Laimbeer's choice (minus Charles) to get her. Even if she never plays defense The Liberty are sorely lack the the scoring and wow factor she brings to the game.

root_thing

PostPosted: 12/27/18 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Based on the statements by Katie Smith, I would have to say that the early betting is on Durr or Ogunbowale. The problem with having Durr or Ogunbowale at SG and Nurse at SF is that you'd be really small on defense. That's been the situation the last couple of years. NY got away with it in 2017, but the dam broke in 2018. You need really good help defense from your center to compensate for shortcomings on the perimeter. With Stokes playing injured, NY didn't have anyone up to the task. But even if Stokes is healthy in 2019, the league is getting bigger. You could end up with another match-up problem at center. And of course, Kiah remains a big zero on offense. As for Nurse, I'm confident she is a legit 6-0 tall, but she only weighs 150 lbs. Kia said in an interview that she was surprised the Liberty asked her to play SF because WNBA players at that position are "huge." Aside from the match-up concerns, Nurse has never been much of a rebounder if you look at her college numbers. Then you have Durr and Ogunbowale themselves, Yes, there are reasons to believe they can score at the next level. However, there are people on this board who accuse them of being bad defenders. I personally haven't noticed their defense -- good or bad -- but I do know that Asia and Arike are smallish for a pro SG. Of course, none of this matters if the Liberty simply play PaulBall and forget about defense. Smile

Given the uncertainty, I'd be willing to trade down and pick up an extra player if some team is really anxious for that #2 pick. I wouldn't go down too far, but if we're talking about 5 or 6 players having similar value then that's a lot of flexibility.

PostPosted: 12/27/18 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is a head scratcher, what are some of you watching? You complain about Brown and McCowan and yet pump up dUrr/Ogunnerbrawler and Ionescu, none of which can guard anyone and make no attempt to LMAO.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 12/27/18 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
This is a head scratcher, what are some of you watching? You complain about Brown and McCowan and yet pump up dUrr/Ogunnerbrawler and Ionescu, none of which can guard anyone and make no attempt to LMAO.

I guess it's because Brown and McCowan has had bad scoring games and the other three havent.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/27/18 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I appreciate Smith’s honesty in what she wants, but how would you feel if you were a Liberty guard and your coach is saying she’s looking to add to the guards. Boyd is a RFA. I might be setting my sights on a contract with a new team if I were her (Dallas?) Prince, where you headed and at what price? I realize the guards you have now are probably overpriced for what you get in return and maybe that’s the crux of the matter, but Reeve is probably drooling at the current Liberty guard situation. Wink

Was the guard talk necessarily meant for the #2 pick or was she talking #14?

I’m conflicted on advising you guys, because your screwups are our potential gains. But somebody should point out to Smith that this is a nice post/forward draft. You can get some decent guards in the second round.

Run a mock with a guard pick at #2 and another position at #14.
Then run a mock with starting with a post player at #2, and then compare.
This should be a good exercise for you, Spooner. The rest are either to shy or too unsure.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 12/27/18 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
Page 8 of 91

Jump to: