RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

GOP Hates Gays, Part 452,499,012

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/02/18 11:55 am    ::: GOP Hates Gays, Part 452,499,012 Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
President Donald Trump's administration this week began denying visas to the unmarried, same-sex partners of foreign diplomats and officials and employees of the United Nations — making marriage a requirement to be eligible for a visa.

The policy was made effective Monday.

It comes despite the fact that the majority of countries do not recognize same-sex marriage and many same-sex couples face prosecution in their own countries.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/10/02/trump-halts-visas-same-sex-partners-diplomats-un-employees/1495218002/

Quote:
However, critics of the move argue the new policy will create hardship for same-sex couples from countries that ban same-sex marriage or only offer civil unions. And for those who marry in the U.S. to secure their visa status, they could face criminal proceedings once they return to their home nations.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/02/18 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oy.

I was always inclined to WANT to doubt the cynicism re: Trump/SSM, but....it's obvious that fucker will do ANYTHING for another 7 votes in the elections.

PostPosted: 10/04/18 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since I'm interested in legal stuff and I'd never heard of this issue, I did a little research.

As stated in official United Nations documents:

Quote:
The Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations (Article 37(1)) specifies the privileges and immunities which shall be accorded such “members of the family of a diplomatic agent forming part of [the] household” but does not provide a definition of the term “members of the family” for purposes of the Convention. The drafters of the Convention recognized that the concept of “family” differs among the societies of the world and left the matter to be resolved according to the standards of the respective receiving States.

Further according to the linked documents, the Obama State Department in 2009 informed the U.N. that it would not issue derivative G-4 ("members of the family") visas to unmarried opposite-sex partners of U.N. diplomats. This recent position of the current State Department simply extends the same rule to unmarried same-sex partners of U.N. diplomats.

Whether this equalization of treatment of domestic partners increases or decreases overall fairness can be argued by partisans of various perspectives.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/04/18 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Since I'm interested in legal stuff and I'd never heard of this issue, I did a little research.

As stated in official United Nations documents:

Quote:
The Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations (Article 37(1)) specifies the privileges and immunities which shall be accorded such “members of the family of a diplomatic agent forming part of [the] household” but does not provide a definition of the term “members of the family” for purposes of the Convention. The drafters of the Convention recognized that the concept of “family” differs among the societies of the world and left the matter to be resolved according to the standards of the respective receiving States.

Further according to the linked documents, the Obama State Department in 2009 informed the U.N. that it would not issue derivative G-4 ("members of the family") visas to unmarried opposite-sex partners of U.N. diplomats. This recent position of the current State Department simply extends the same rule to unmarried same-sex partners of U.N. diplomats.

Whether this equalization of treatment of domestic partners increases or decreases overall fairness can be argued by partisans of various perspectives.

Find places in the world that criminal heterosexuality, and then we can talk. Until then, just admit your real motives.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/08/19 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

....and even MORE Good News!! Shocked

53 Republican Senators approved THIS bitch.

This is in the Fourth Circuit--MD, VA, WV, NC and SC. Cuz they don't have enough homophobia down south yet. Evil or Very Mad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: