RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Presidential Alert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/03/18 8:17 am    ::: Presidential Alert Reply Reply with quote

Why does it bother me so much that I can't block these alerts?

Why is it called 'presidential' alert? Is that the best they could come up with? I know that it will be called that regardless who is in the WH. Wouldn't 'National Security Alert' work? Or if they are concerned about it being confused with NSA, call it 'National Security Alert System' or ANYTHING else.

They need to try harder.

Continously...for 30 minutes???? And I can't block it???? Fuck you congress for allowing this.

Quote:
The message will be broadcast by cell towers for 30 minutes, so it's possible some people may get it at a different time. The alerts will sound as long as the device is turned on — even if it's on mute or do not disturb, and it may also appear on smart watches, officials said.

Quote:
The system test is for a high-level "presidential" alert that would be used only in a nationwide emergency. I

The first one needs to be that the current people in DC are idiots and need to all be replaced ASAP!!

https://www.wane.com/news/national-world/emergency-alert-test-going-out-to-mobile-phones-nationwide/1492954184

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
toad455

PostPosted: 10/03/18 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Was told to switch to airplane mode during this time to avoid the alerts.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 10/03/18 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be better to broadcast it every 5 or 10 minutes for 2 hours or something?

Last fall my town set up an alert system for emergencies. They encouraged everyone to voluntarily subscribe to it. The first one I received was in November at 5 am one morning. The alert said "We are experiencing snow. Use caution while driving to work." WTF? People can't tell if they're "experiencing snow" by looking out the window? And it snows, at least a little, nearly every night for 4-5 months here. I'm damned if I want to be woken up for that every morning at 5 am. People unsubscribed pretty quickly.

Apparently the alert geniuses in my town got promoted to positions in Washington.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 10/03/18 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 10/03/18 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just got the alarm here. What...five hours after Ex-Ref? It's the "National Wireless Emergency Alert System."

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/03/18 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Just got the alarm here. What...five hours after Ex-Ref? It's the "National Wireless Emergency Alert System."

I never got the alert. i turned my phone off.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/03/18 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Was told to switch to airplane mode during this time to avoid the alerts.

I just turned mine off. I was at work anyway so it wasn't a problem.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/03/18 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Wouldn't it be better to broadcast it every 5 or 10 minutes for 2 hours or something?

Last fall my town set up an alert system for emergencies. They encouraged everyone to voluntarily subscribe to it. The first one I received was in November at 5 am one morning. The alert said "We are experiencing snow. Use caution while driving to work." WTF? People can't tell if they're "experiencing snow" by looking out the window? And it snows, at least a little, nearly every night for 4-5 months here. I'm damned if I want to be woken up for that every morning at 5 am. People unsubscribed pretty quickly.

Apparently the alert geniuses in my town got promoted to positions in Washington.

I don't see the purpose of these alerts. My understanding is that it's for the ENTIRE NATION. I'm pretty sure that if something is happening that is going to effect the ENTIRE NATION that I'll know about it. Or I won't want to know. Either way, let me OPT OUT!!!!!!!!

justintyme

PostPosted: 10/03/18 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

I don't see the purpose of these alerts. My understanding is that it's for the ENTIRE NATION. I'm pretty sure that if something is happening that is going to effect the ENTIRE NATION that I'll know about it. Or I won't want to know. Either way, let me OPT OUT!!!!!!!!

It's probably for when our idiot-in-chief gets us into a nuclear war.

PostPosted: 10/03/18 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

It's probably for when our idiot-in-chief gets us into a nuclear war.

See, that's what I'm thinking. And what the hell good is an alert then?? Just look up and see the mushroom cloud passing over.

taropatch

PostPosted: 10/04/18 1:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-ref said:
Quote:
See, that's what I'm thinking. And what the hell good is an alert then?? Just look up and see the mushroom cloud passing over.

Please don't mention the word "mushroom" in a thread entitled "presidential alert".

rykhala

PostPosted: 10/04/18 8:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Was the message only supposed to reach a certain percentage of people? I never received the alert nor did any of my friends or family. We are spread throughout California, Missouri, Texas, Kentucky and Illinois.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/04/18 8:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rykhala wrote:
Was the message only supposed to reach a certain percentage of people? I never received the alert nor did any of my friends or family. We are spread throughout California, Missouri, Texas, Kentucky and Illinois.

I thought I heard on a news report the day before that it was to reach EVERY cell phone in the country. It certainly hit mine, and everybody else I asked that had their phone on.

PostPosted: 10/04/18 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can our cellular phone system handle alerts to >300M phones at nearly the same time? How long would it take for alerts to get through to everyone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: