RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Good storylines entering 2018-19.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/26/18 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can JMU finally solve Elon and take back the CAA?

When will Charlotte Smith finally get noticed by a P5 school and get the job she so richly deserves?

PostPosted: 09/26/18 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Can JMU finally solve Elon and take back the CAA?

When will Charlotte Smith finally get noticed by a P5 school and get the job she so richly deserves?

For Smith, I wonder if she is just waiting for the right job to open up. You'd have to think that the Virginia job would've been tempting. So, it's curious to see what she might do. Maybe she's happy at Elon.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 09/26/18 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:

I still haven't seen anything on Nayara Sabally being injured. Can't find anything.
She injured her left knee in the second quarter of the FIBA under 18 Euro championship game. in early August. She came out hoblbling with her knee wrapped to get her MVP and Championship medal, but I could also find nothing on what type of injury it might have been. Could have been a ACL or MCL. Unless it was not so bad as it seemed she probably is out for quite a while.

Here is a link to the only thing I could find on it. Nothing about injuring her knee. It states she was taking to the hospital with a possible leg fracture.

http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u18women/2018/news/serbia-tear-down-spain-steal-day-two-headlines

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 09/28/18 1:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m looking forward to seeing how Oregon State will do this year, they have some good pieces returning, but what will the team dynamics/ chemistry be like with Pivec, Tudor, or McWilliams being asked to come off the bench?
Will Slocum lead the team in scoring? Or will they look to one of the freshmen post to run the offense through.

Just how good is 6’9 Forward Andrea Aquino, will she be a tall forward with guard and shooting skills, or the next Allyssa DeHaan who played at MSU.
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 10/01/18 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What makes you think they will come off the bench?

ucbart

PostPosted: 10/02/18 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
I’m looking forward to seeing how Oregon State will do this year, they have some good pieces returning, but what will the team dynamics/ chemistry be like with Pivec, Tudor, or McWilliams being asked to come off the bench?
Will Slocum lead the team in scoring? Or will they look to one of the freshmen post to run the offense through.

Just how good is 6’9 Forward Andrea Aquino, will she be a tall forward with guard and shooting skills, or the next Allyssa DeHaan who played at MSU.

Me too....and they have the most underrated coach in the country, too. Rueck is great.

willtalk

PostPosted: 10/02/18 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
willtalk wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:

I still haven't seen anything on Nayara Sabally being injured. Can't find anything.
She injured her left knee in the second quarter of the FIBA under 18 Euro championship game. in early August. She came out hoblbling with her knee wrapped to get her MVP and Championship medal, but I could also find nothing on what type of injury it might have been. Could have been a ACL or MCL. Unless it was not so bad as it seemed she probably is out for quite a while.

Here is a link to the only thing I could find on it. Nothing about injuring her knee. It states she was taking to the hospital with a possible leg fracture.

http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u18women/2018/news/serbia-tear-down-spain-steal-day-two-headlines
that was referring to a day one injury against Hungary. She came back from that to play the rest of the Tournament. The injury I was referring occurred against Spain in the Championship game. Nothing was written about it , but you can see it for yourself on Youtube. Looks like an ACL.

willtalk

PostPosted: 10/02/18 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

Me too....and they have the most underrated coach in the country, too. Rueck is great.
They could field a team with all three Pivec, Tudor and McWilliams on the floor, but that would mean they would have to move Taya Corosdale to the center position. The incoming soph has played to well to get knocked out of her PF position. I really doubt they would do that because they are not geared to play small ball. One of the three probably will have to come off the bench. More than likely they will just have a bigger parameter rotation this season. Who starts probable will depend on which of the three players brings the skills that fit in best with the rest of the line up.

I am also curious as to who will begin and who will end up playing the center position. Grymeck the 6'8" senior is less mobile but seems like a real space eater. Morris and Aquino are less physical but more mobile with a greater upside. Aquino might have the skills for along with an inclination to play on the wing or a stretch 4 much like Stevens. This creates the potential for eventually putting Aquino on the floor with another big. That would be a match up night mare. From what I have seen Aquino looks like a pretty good passer.

The thing I noticed about Rueck is that he is not averse to putting what he thinks is his best lineup on the floor irregardless of the players class or what they did the previous season. So it is not that unlikely for him to displace an upper classman with even a freshman if he feels they add more to the team. If Goodman ( soph-who was the back up point last season and a very good 3pt shooter) improves she might end up beating out any of the other 3. We also can not discount the frosh guard from Australia. At the very least the would be part of the rotation. Unlike Greaves, Rueck favors good defenders so that is a major factor as well.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 10/02/18 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree Will which makes me think that he will not go with his newbies especially to begin with as they won't be up to the level of his current players.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 10/02/18 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:

Similar to what other have already said, but also Destiny is a real point guard so I would assume she’s going to be the starter at the 1. I’m also pretty high on Andrea who could be about 6’9 and a half, or 6’10, I’ve seen it mentioned that she could be taller then Griner, and with the track record of post players who have gone through OSU, it wouldn’t shock me to see her blossom into a All pac12 talent one day.
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 10/02/18 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That doesn't account for saying all 3 will be benched.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 10/02/18 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:

Similar to what other have already said, but also Destiny is a real point guard so I would assume she’s going to be the starter at the 1. I’m also pretty high on Andrea who could be about 6’9 and a half, or 6’10, I’ve seen it mentioned that she could be taller then Griner, and with the track record of post players who have gone through OSU, it wouldn’t shock me to see her blossom into a All pac12 talent one day.

I don't think Andrea will get many minutes this year. She is a major work in progress. Potential, yes, but she will take a long time to improve. She didn't make any USA teams. I think Nancy Mulkey has more potential, and that's not saying much.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 10/02/18 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
That doesn't account for saying all 3 will be benched.

I didn’t say they would all be benched.
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 10/03/18 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thats how your post reads.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 10/03/18 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Thats how your post reads.

Ok still not what I meant though.
willtalk

PostPosted: 10/03/18 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

I don't think Andrea will get many minutes this year. She is a major work in progress. Potential, yes, but she will take a long time to improve. She didn't make any USA teams. I think Nancy Mulkey has more potential, and that's not saying much.
In respect to Aquino their is little comparison to Mulkey other than they are both listed as 6'9" So "Shmermerer" I would disrespectfully disagree as to your evaluation as to their upside potential.

I say disrespectfully because of your examples of her not making any USA teams as a criteria. As Mulkey did I am assuming that is a standard by which you made your evaluation. To begin with there are variable factors involved in making a national team with only one being ability or potential. Of major importance seems to be being brought up in the system early on. This would have been unlikely for Aquino since she did not see a basketball before she was 15 years old. Mulkey was raised in a basketball family. Her mother played in college and is a coach. Basically her skill level is what it is. She is a tall player who is locked into being a center. Unfortunately one criteria for success in the middle is body strength which seems to be Mulkeys bete noir.

In respect to Aquino- she did drop in respect to her class rating during her senior year. It had less to do with her own ability than the program she played transferred into and played for. That transfer affected her development on multiple levels. Mostly her exposure and floor time. She was not eligible until January. She shared floor time with multiple post players who the coach was showcasing for scholarships. Aquino already had hers. Their style of play suited those other players and not her.

I saw her play in person in two games and watched some other games on video including AAU. In her high school teams game against a national power team she was the most impactful player on her team but only was able to show that because DeCosta had gotten their other posts in foul trouble. When Aquino was in the line up she shut down the paint.

She runs the floor well. I also saw a player who had a feel for the game, had good floor vision and made the right passes. She also has 3 pt range and a decent set of handles. She has potential for playing at forward and perhaps even at the wing. This is from someone who has not played the game that long.

At Oregon St -- which has taken two unranked high school post players in a row and developed them into WNBA picks, some one at her present level's potential is not just All Pac 12 but a lottery pick in a very strong class. With her height, perhaps even the number one pick.

Granted neither her or the other Freshman post are going to come in and quickly impact like Griner did, but post players- who are traditional slow developers can make sudden advances at any point in their careers. Griner's offensive game never really developed until she was in the pro's.

I haven't really any recent video on Mulkey, but it is obvious that she is limited to playing in the post. That is not true of Aquino who is listed as a forward. She 'll most likely mirror the skill set of a 6'10" Azura Stevens. Other than getting stronger and developing physically I do not see more upside for Mulkey in respect to skill development. Her mother was a coach and she grew up with basketball.

willtalk

PostPosted: 10/03/18 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

In respect to Aquino their is little comparison to Mulkey other than they are both listed as 6'9" So "Shmermerer" I would disrespectfully disagree as to your evaluation as to their upside potential.

I say disrespectfully because of your examples of her not making any USA teams as a criteria. As Mulkey did I am assuming that is a standard by which you made your evaluation. To begin with there are variable factors involved in making a national team with only one being ability or potential. Of major importance seems to be being brought up in the system early on. This would have been unlikely for Aquino since she did not see a basketball before she was 15 years old. Mulkey was raised in a basketball family. Her mother played in college and is a coach. Basically her skill level is what it is. She is a tall player who is locked into being a center. Unfortunately one criteria for success in the middle is body strength which seems to be Mulkeys bete noir.

In respect to Aquino- she did drop in respect to her class rating during her senior year. It had less to do with her own ability than the program she transferred into and played for. That transfer affected her development on multiple levels. Mostly her exposure and floor time. She was not eligible until January. She shared floor time with multiple post players who the coach was showcasing for scholarships. Aquino already had hers. Their style of play suited those other players and not her.

I saw her play in person in two games and watched some other games on video including AAU. In her high school teams game against a national power team she was the most impactful player on her team but only was able to show that because the other posts got in foul trouble. When Aquino was in the line up she shut down the paint.

She runs the floor well. I also saw a player who had a feel for the game, had good floor vision and made the right passes. She also has 3 pt range and a decent set of handles. She has potential for playing at forward and perhaps even at the wing. This is from someone who has not played the game that long.

At Oregon St -- which has taken two unranked high school post players in a row and developed them into WNBA picks, some one at her present level's potential is not just All Pac 12 but a lottery pick in a very strong class. With her height, perhaps even the number one pick.

Granted neither her or the other Freshman post is going to come in and quickly impact like Griner did, but post players- who are traditional slow developers can make sudden advances at any point in their careers. Griner's offensive game never really developed until she was in the pro's.

I haven't really any recent video on Mulkey, but it is obvious that she is limited to playing in the post. That is not true of Aquino who is listed as a forward. She'll most likely mirror the skill set of a 6'10" Azura Stevens. Other than getting stronger and developing physically I do not see more upside for Mulkey in respect to skill development. Her mother was a coach and she grew up with basketball.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/04/18 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:

So if she will be out all year, could she in fact not even enroll this year and come in next year as a Freshman? From an eligibility standpoint that would make sense rather than taking a red shirt as a Freshman which limits options down the road.

- Amanda Gorman
#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 10/04/18 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

In respect to Aquino- she did drop in respect to her class rating during her senior year. It had less to do with her own ability than the program she played transferred into and played for. That transfer affected her development on multiple levels. Mostly her exposure and floor time. She was not eligible until January. She shared floor time with multiple post players who the coach was showcasing for scholarships. Aquino already had hers. Their style of play suited those other players and not her.

I saw her play in person in two games and watched some other games on video including AAU. In her high school teams game against a national power team she was the most impactful player on her team but only was able to show that because DeCosta had gotten their other posts in foul trouble. When Aquino was in the line up she shut down the paint.

Granted neither her or the other Freshman post are going to come in and quickly impact like Griner did, but post players- who are traditional slow developers can make sudden advances at any point in their careers. Griner's offensive game never really developed until she was in the pro's.

I haven't really any recent video on Mulkey, but it is obvious that she is limited to playing in the post. That is not true of Aquino who is listed as a forward. She 'll most likely mirror the skill set of a 6'10" Azura Stevens. Other than getting stronger and developing physically I do not see more upside for Mulkey in respect to skill development. Her mother was a coach and she grew up with basketball.

I agree with what you said here, Aquino moves about as well as Elena Delle Donne, I think she could be a stretch four but not sure about a wing. Being a Oklahoma fan I followed Mulkey closely, she does have a decent face up game but Sherri didn’t allow her to showcase that, I expect to see her shooting 3’s at rice, but she doesn’t have the work ethic to be great, I don’t think she’ll ever play in the WNBA, I’m looking forward to seeing Oregon State this year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: