Board Junkies Forums

Random WNBA Mention
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyperetic

PostPosted: 06/05/16 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
During the NBA finals tonight, the commentators talked about the WNBA for about a minute or two. The struggles of Phoenix were mentioned, as were the old school Liberty, and the fact that Parker wasn't on the Olympic team.

Sounded a bit scripted

Yes. Yes it did. Especially when Van Gundy spoke of his favorite W team, the Phoenix Suns, um...er...Mercury. To be fair, its could have just been a Freudian slip. And at least, they did it whether they were made to or not. Publicity is publicity.
ClayK

PostPosted: 06/06/16 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Shades wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
During the NBA finals tonight, the commentators talked about the WNBA for about a minute or two. The struggles of Phoenix were mentioned, as were the old school Liberty, and the fact that Parker wasn't on the Olympic team.

Sounded a bit scripted

Yes. Yes it did. Especially when Van Gundy spoke of his favorite W team, the Phoenix Suns, um...er...Mercury. To be fair, its could have just been a Freudian slip. And at least, they did it whether they were made to or not. Publicity is publicity.

Van Gundy had some credible things to say, and Mike Breen did do Liberty games.

What did you want? Why wasn't this good enough?

Geez ...

PostPosted: 06/06/16 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Shades wrote:
Tally24 wrote:

Sounded a bit scripted

It's better than commentators slipping up and using the city's NBA team's name during WNBA broadcasts.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/06/16 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think those kinds of slips are pretty forgivable. Sometimes a string of words will just roll off the tongue by habit. The fact that he caught it himself and corrected it makes it a non-issue to me.

PostPosted: 06/06/16 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
Shades wrote:
Tally24 wrote:

Sounded a bit scripted

Geez ...

I gave credit. Like was pointed out, it just seemed a little forced is all.
Tally24

PostPosted: 06/06/16 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
ClayK wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
Shades wrote:
Tally24 wrote:

Sounded a bit scripted

Geez ...

I gave credit. Like was pointed out, it just seemed a little forced is all.

See, I didn't think it sounded forced. Van Gundy said Taurasi was his favorite women's player, and that a team led by her shouldn't be performing this way. He's taken an interest in the women's game in the past, calling the UCONN/Baylor game in 2012 I believe.
pilight

PostPosted: 06/06/16 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Van Gundy was once almost coach of the Mystics

PostPosted: 06/06/16 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DOUBLE!

PostPosted: 06/06/16 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:
"Maybe he decided it was time to coach some players who would listen to him," said one NBA source.

Wink

I do tend to think WNBA players pay more attention to their head coach more than most NBA players.

PostPosted: 06/07/16 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:
"Maybe he decided it was time to coach some players who would listen to him," said one NBA source.

Wink

I do tend to think WNBA players pay more attention to their head coach more than most NBA players.

OT: My favorite magazine cover ever, StevenHW. I bought the magazine ...

PostPosted: 06/08/16 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/bill-simmons-breaks-free-his-900291

Quote:
"One of the ironies of my life is that I was definitely a chauvinist with men's and women's sports before. I'd always make WNBA jokes and stuff like that. And now I'm like a feminist, and it's all because of her," he says, as his ponytailed daughter waves at him between plays. "In L.A., they have all these academy teams for boys, and the girls are treated like second-class citizens. The fields we have are worse than the boys', too. It all just drives me fing crazy."

PostPosted: 06/08/16 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/bill-simmons-breaks-free-his-900291

Quote:
"One of the ironies of my life is that I was definitely a chauvinist with men's and women's sports before. I'd always make WNBA jokes and stuff like that. And now I'm like a feminist, and it's all because of her," he says, as his ponytailed daughter waves at him between plays. "In L.A., they have all these academy teams for boys, and the girls are treated like second-class citizens. The fields we have are worse than the boys', too. It all just drives me fing crazy."

Huh. He was still making lame jabs at women's basketball a few months ago. Rolling Eyes

pilight

PostPosted: 06/09/16 7:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA star: Never give up

http://www.ccenterdispatch.com/news/article_38afb5e8-2dd7-11e6-9936-c74ebcc46304.html

Quote:
Former WNBA star and professional basketball player Nicole (Ohlde) Johnson emphasized the importance of making good decisions as part of a Library summer reading Get in the Game program on Monday at the Dexter Park band shell.

PostPosted: 06/14/16 7:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.natchezdemocrat.com/2016/06/14/a-minute-with-minor-local-coach-reminices-college-career-wnba-stint/

Quote:
Minor was 32 years old when she tried out for the WNBA in 1998. She traveled to Marietta, Ga., to compete in a camp before she was offered a role on the Detroit Shock now the Dallas Wings practice squad

PostPosted: 07/26/16 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

EDD shout out during Delaware roll call tarts at 0:53 mark!!
http://wdel.com/features/delawarerollcalldnc.mp3

LosLynxAngeles

PostPosted: 07/26/16 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:

Awesome!!!! I love how proud the state is of her.

potd41

PostPosted: 08/05/16 1:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:

That was AWESOME!!

PostPosted: 08/10/16 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.r3dd.it/p/4wun5z/

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_reQpgzMtvk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 08/16/16 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 08/10/16 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Arrow

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
StevenHW

PostPosted: 08/16/16 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On "Feherty" on the Golf Channel, an interview with Bubba Watson also features some shots of his wife Angie wearing a Cleveland Rockers uniform, even though she never played a regular-season game for the Rockers. I can only assume that Angie signed a preseason contract with the Rockers before being cut.

This is the shot the show used...

PostPosted: 10/02/18 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From the Houston Chronicle:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/See-what-some-of-Houston-s-best-known-buildings-13271964.php

Quote:
Toyota Center replaced the aging Compaq Center (previously known as The Summit) as the home of the NBA team and the go-to venue for major touring concerts coming through the Houston-area. Both the Houston Comets, the city's defunct WNBA team, and the Houston Aeros (RIP homies) hockey team would also call Toyota Center home.

PostPosted: 07/23/20 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First of all, I can't believe that this thread as been dead for twenty-one months. I must have just missed a more recent iteration of this thread laying around, right? If I did, please feel free to merge, or whatever.

Anyway... #TheCompiler was on the Dan LeBatard Show today, and they teased her into naming her Top 5 WNBA players of all time. Dan did throw in a disclaimer on her behalf, that "She doesn't mean to exclude anybody, that she apologizes if she forgets anybody, she doesn't mean to offend anybody, and we badgered her into this," basically making it clear that it was just part of a goofy bit, for their radio show.

That said, the Top 5 WNBA players of all time, according to The Compiler:

5. Tina Thompson
4. Sheryl Swoopes
3. Lisa Leslie
2. Lauren Jackson
1. Diana Taurasi

They were teasing her for not putting herself in her Top 5, and she (presumably) jokingly said, "I'm sixth."

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/23/20 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
First of all, I can't believe that this thread as been dead for twenty-one months. I must have just missed a more recent iteration of this thread laying around, right? If I did, please feel free to merge, or whatever.

Anyway... #TheCompiler was on the Dan LeBatard Show today, and they teased her into naming her Top 5 WNBA players of all time. Dan did throw in a disclaimer on her behalf, that "She doesn't mean to exclude anybody, that she apologizes if she forgets anybody, she doesn't mean to offend anybody, and we badgered her into this," basically making it clear that it was just part of a goofy bit, for their radio show.

That said, the Top 5 WNBA players of all time, according to The Compiler:

5. Tina Thompson
4. Sheryl Swoopes
3. Lisa Leslie
2. Lauren Jackson
1. Diana Taurasi

They were teasing her for not putting herself in her Top 5, and she (presumably) jokingly said, "I'm sixth."

Who is "The Compiler" supposed to be?

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 07/23/20 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

The player who needed twenty-one more games (basically two-thirds of a season) to break Ticha Penicheiro's assist record. #HateHard

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/23/20 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

The player who needed twenty-one more games (basically two-thirds of a season) to break Ticha Penicheiro's assist record. #HateHard

A name would actually be more helpful.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: