RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Best Individual Player In The World?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who Would cote as the best player in the world at this moment?
Britney Griner
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Maya Moore
9%
 9%  [ 5 ]
Alba Torrens
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Diana Taurasi
9%
 9%  [ 5 ]
Liz Cambage
35%
 35%  [ 19 ]
Emma Messeman
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Breanna Stewart
35%
 35%  [ 19 ]
Elene Delle Donne
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
Aja Wilson
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Kia Nurse
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 54

MrCam

PostPosted: 10/01/18 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Of course it depends on what you mean by "best player," but if you take that to mean which individual would have the greatest impact on a team/game/season, I think it has to be Cambage. Now Stewart may be a "better player" in that she can do more things, but in terms of determining who wins, a fully engaged Cambage can dominate at both ends, and there's really nothing much that can be done to stop her.

Always a tough question, and always a fun debate ...

Even after seeing her impact on Dallas' record this season?

There are five players on the court, plus the coach ... no individual, no matter how exceptional, can be held responsible for team records, which is one reason why I think measuring a player's achievements by championships just makes no sense. JaVale McGee has two; so is he a better player than Nikola Jokic? And Rebekkah Brunson has five -- is she the best player in WNBA history? Has she ever even been in the discussion for MVP?

ClayK, Robert Horry's 7 NBA titles makes your point.

Jordan & the Bulls before Pippen arrived: 0 titles.

Jordan & the Bulls after Pippen arrived + help: 6 titles.

But can you really say that A'ja Wilson did NOT have an impact
on the Las Vegas Aces win loss record from 2017 to 2018?

And if Bill Laimbeer picks the right player to compliment the Aces
current roster, can you really say the Aces will NOT be able to ad-
vance to the second round of the playoffs at a minimum?

Shades

PostPosted: 10/01/18 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
She had less of a supporting cast than Cambage and yet her team made the finals. Her skill set is less dependent on other players to carry a team.

Toliver, Cloud, Aktins, Sanders, Hawkins, and the veteran role players appreciate your acknowledgment.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/01/18 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
She had less of a supporting cast than Cambage and yet her team made the finals. Her skill set is less dependent on other players to carry a team.

Toliver, Cloud, Aktins, Sanders, Hawkins, and the veteran role players appreciate your acknowledgment.

I acknowledge that they are less of a supporting cast than Cambage had. Which of those players is better than Diggins-Smith? Which of those inside players would you take over Glory Johnson or Azura Stevens?

Toliver had one of her best years, and Atkins was a nice surprise, but it can hardly be controversial that the Wings roster was stronger than DC's.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/01/18 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would say the Mystics’ guard group was superior to the Wings’ guard group. I actually thought Diggins hurt the Wings with her style of PG. How else can you explain how poorly they did, other than maybe the coaching? Cambage didn’t do enough?

I mean, who really cares who is the best player? That’s very subjective. You can pick and choose your own best player and not be so incensed if somebody believes differently. Basketball is a team sport. What matters is the best team. The best team wins the championship, but I suppose there are those who will argue against that too.

Often times fans who have a team that doesn’t meet expectations and doesn’t win the championship will try to feel better by saying “well at least we have best player” (even though that player didn’t win MVP, the most acknowledged indicator of ‘best player’). I figure that’s the reason this topic got started?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/01/18 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

I mean, who really cares who is the best player?

If only there was some clue that people in this thread might be discussing this. Then you could avoid something you don't care about and not read it.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/01/18 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Shades wrote:

If only there was some clue that people in this thread might be discussing this. Then you could avoid something you don't care about and not read it.

I don’t mind reading it. I’m just saying there’s no definitive answer if you don’t believe the MVP is the right choice. This sort of topic never fails to devolve into arguments and hurt feelings. Me trying to be the voice of reason is even invoking unnecessary hostilities.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/01/18 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Shades wrote:

I don’t mind reading it. I’m just saying there’s no definitive answer if you don’t believe the MVP is the right choice. This sort of topic never fails to devolve into arguments and hurt feelings. Me trying to be the voice of reason is even invoking unnecessary hostilities.

That's an interesting perspective you have ...

Michelle89

PostPosted: 10/01/18 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ill take Sanders over Glory any day of the week. She is way underrated while Glory is overrated. Stevens has a nice future but she has a lot to learn

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Randy

PostPosted: 10/01/18 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Someone has to be the grown up in the room. Wink

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/01/18 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I would say the Mystics’ guard group was superior to the Wings’ guard group. I actually thought Diggins hurt the Wings with her style of PG. How else can you explain how poorly they did, other than maybe the coaching? Cambage didn’t do enough?

I mean, who really cares who is the best player? That’s very subjective. You can pick and choose your own best player and not be so incensed if somebody believes differently. Basketball is a team sport. What matters is the best team. The best team wins the championship, but I suppose there are those who will argue against that too.

Often times fans who have a team that doesn’t meet expectations and doesn’t win the championship will try to feel better by saying “well at least we have best player” (even though that player didn’t win MVP, the most acknowledged indicator of ‘best player’). I figure that’s the reason this topic got started?

Seriously, shut up that's not why this topic was started . WNBA was not even in my thought process with this poll. You simply are annoying asf and i refuse to post here and deal with your bs anymore. Arrow Arrow

PostPosted: 10/01/18 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Seriously, shut up that's not why this topic was started . WNBA was not even in my thought process with this poll. You simply are annoying asf and i refuse to post here and deal with your bs anymore. Arrow Arrow

Laughing

PostPosted: 10/02/18 2:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Shades wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

I acknowledge that they are less of a supporting cast than Cambage had. Which of those players is better than Diggins-Smith? Which of those inside players would you take over Glory Johnson or Azura Stevens?

Toliver had one of her best years, and Atkins was a nice surprise, but it can hardly be controversial that the Wings roster was stronger than DC's.

It's pretty simple: look at the predictions before the season and everyone thought Dallas was more talented than Washington.

And team records have to matter to some degree. Dallas went from Plaisance starting at center to Cambage and they won fewer games? How does that happen?

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/02/18 4:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's an interesting list of candidates nominated in the poll. Particularly surprised to see Torrens & Nurse among the options, but someone voted for Kia so I guess that one is vindicated.

For me, based on right now, Stewie gets the vote over BG & EDD, with Liz a nose behind at #4.

PostPosted: 10/02/18 6:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So this whole thread begs the questions - Who is the Best Team Player in the World?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: