RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2019 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 72, 73, 74  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 10/01/18 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Yes but if Magbegor went #8 to PX she would be playing with DT, Griner and Bonner. All she would have to do is rebound and defend the PF and take advatage of her opportunities on offense while the others are being doubled team. It is a great situation for her to both contribute right away and develop without being under a lot of pressure playing for the WNBA coach who knows her game the best. Unless she goes earlier PX should just grab her at #8 and team her with Griner for the next 5 years.

Plus Brondello would get to have her under her wing for an extra 4 months out of the year.

What kind of message would it send if she didn’t draft Magbegor?
“Sorry, I don’t really believe in you that much. There was an American I felt was better.” Hard to see that happening.

I wonder if Brondello will target Magbegor at #8 and Alanna Smith at #32, or will that be too much Aussie?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 10/01/18 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Magbegor is a draft bust Brondello may be accused of conflict of interest, by at least a few disgruntled fans. But maybe Merc fans like being the WNBA affiliate of the Opals.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 10/01/18 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
If Magbegor is a draft bust Brondello may be accused of conflict of interest, by at least a few disgruntled fans. But maybe Merc fans like being the WNBA affiliate of the Opals.

Though I don't find that to be any different than drafting a draft bust who is from America or the American college ranks.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/01/18 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Magbegor didn't even get off the bench against Spain even though she's much better than Bunton from what I saw. Was Brondello protecting her, hiding her or did Sandy just not trust the 19-year-old?

I think it equal parts experience factor, and that they are completely different types of players. Bunton is a much more natural backup for Liz. Ezi at the moment is effectively a PF who can't shoot. She's pretty athletic, and ... that is all.

PostPosted: 10/01/18 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Magbegor didn't even get off the bench against Spain even though she's much better than Bunton from what I saw. Was Brondello protecting her, hiding her or did Sandy just not trust the 19-year-old?

I think it equal parts experience factor, and that they are completely different types of players. Bunton is a much more natural backup for Liz. Ezi at the moment is effectively a PF who can't shoot. She's pretty athletic, and ... that is all.

I think if someone could draft her and convince her to wait a couple of years before showing up, that would be to the advantage of both her and the team drafting her. Right now, she would be like a 12th person sitting on the bench which would ultimately be pretty frustrating for her, and not sure it would help her development.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/01/18 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

I wonder if Brondello will target Magbegor at #8 and Alanna Smith at #32, or will that be too much Aussie?

as they were in these games, Smith looked like the better player.

- Amanda Gorman
Randy

PostPosted: 10/01/18 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Randy wrote:

Though I don't find that to be any different than drafting a draft bust who is from America or the American college ranks.

The difference is that the question could be asked - who was this draft pick supposed to help the Mercury or the Opals? Draft an American from any US school and no such question arises.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/01/18 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
Randy wrote:

The difference is that the question could be asked - who was this draft pick supposed to help the Mercury or the Opals? Draft an American from any US school and no such question arises.

It’s early but I doubt concerns from a few fans would be a factor in GM decisions. If that were the case, Howard would still be with the Lynx and maybe that fifth trophy would be in the case.

Anyway, one PHX fan has already showed hearty approval of Magbegor, while another has shown half-hearted approval. I don’t think scandal will be a problem unless there’s an obviously better choice available at #8 in April. At this point, I’m not sure who would be a better choice.

The third round pick of Talbot turned out more than okay for PHX. So if Brondello has enough faith in Magbegor to pick her in the first round, what’s the argument again to not pick Aussie players?

I do think Cunningham and Taurasi are somewhat cut from the same cloth, so that could be an interesting combination. But PF seems to their weakness right now.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/01/18 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Never did one post lottery
also going to break my rule and include Ionescu because one more high profile college season combined with team USA experience and being as old if not older than most seniors might tempt her to move to the next level.

1. LV Brown
2. NY Ionescu
3. Indy McCowan
4. Chi Collier
5. Dallas Durr
6. Minn KLS
7. LA Ogunbowale
8. PX Magbegor
9. Conn Turner
10. Was Cunningham
11. Atl Anigwe
12. Sea Sheppard

13. PX Mabrey
14. NY Jennings
15. Chi Kea
16. Minn Gustafason
17. Dallas Robinson
18. Minn Bell
19. LA Mar. Moore
20. Minn Howard
21. Atl Martin
22. Dallas Higgs
23. Conn Laska
24. Sea Carzola

25. Indy Calhoun
26. NY Han Xu
27. Chi Blockton
28. Indy Thome
29. Dallas White
30. Minn Li Yueru
31. LA Caldwell
32. PX Smith
33. Conn Christinaki
34. Was Fuerhing
35. Atl Dillard
36. Sea Morris

awhom111

PostPosted: 10/01/18 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

I've always wondered what would happen if there was a completely ironclad case of a Brondello conflict of interest (or back in the day if there was a one with Chatman). Would the league have investigated if it was not Taurasi who was paid to not play by Ekaterinburg, but instead Bird or Parker?

The good thing on the international side is that we should see significantly more of these players this season. So far only Li and to a lesser extent Conti and to an even lesser extent Pouye have played a lot at a reputable club level (and Gereben if you consider her a legitimate prospect). Magbegor should get a lot more playing time this season, Han will be playing in the pro league, and Brcaninovic will be playing at a higher level.
root_thing

PostPosted: 10/02/18 12:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

23. Conn Laska

The only Laska in the history of WCBB was Shaina Laska of Bethany Lutheran, and she hasn't played since 2014. Are you ever going to call Laksa by her real name or is the constant misspelling now an intentional act of defiance? Razz

BTW, who is Caldwell?

PostPosted: 10/02/18 1:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

23. Conn Laska

The only Laska in the history of WCBB was Shaina Laska of Bethany Lutheran, and she hasn't played since 2014. Are you ever going to call Laksa by her real name or is the constant misspelling now an intentional act of defiance? Razz

BTW, who is Caldwell?

I have this problem once I get a name wrong it sticks even when I try to correct it I sometimes double correct and make the same mistake best example Kahleah "Cooper" Copper. Another good example Shavonte "Zealous" Zellous.

Recee Caldwell grad transfer for Cal from Texas Tech.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/02/18 4:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:

Smith has looked a very handy international player the whole time she has been with the Opals. Based only on what I've seen of her in that context over the past year or so (as I haven't seen her play college ball) I've been a little surprised that no one seems to rate her as a WNBA chance.

PostPosted: 10/02/18 6:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
root_thing wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

23. Conn Laska

BTW, who is Caldwell?

I have this problem once I get a name wrong it sticks even when I try to correct it I sometimes double correct and make the same mistake best example Kahleah "Cooper" Copper. Another good example Shavonte "Zealous" Zellous.

Recee Caldwell grad transfer for Cal from Texas Tech.

Well, I think groot_thing was being a little over-zellous about spelling. Razz

root_thing

PostPosted: 10/02/18 8:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:

Smith has looked a very handy international player the whole time she has been with the Opals. Based only on what I've seen of her in that context over the past year or so (as I haven't seen her play college ball) I've been a little surprised that no one seems to rate her as a WNBA chance.

This is what I said about Smith on the FIBA thread:

root_thing wrote:
Alanna Smith is a very interesting player. She has pretty good mobility and athleticism for someone 6-4. Alanna looks like a star at times -- scoring inside, shooting 3s, blocking shots -- but she gets into foul trouble and is a bit up and down. Smith is on the cusp of being a serious prospect, but we need to see Alanna improve her consistency this year.

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=93697&start=42

We saw a bit of that inconsistency in this tournament. Smith was very good in the finals against the USA, but she had 0 points and 1 rebound in the semifinal against Spain. Alanna will get drafted, but to move up the draft board she has to be effective every game. She can do enough things so that it doesn't have to be reflected in points. On a bad shooting day, she can still rebound and defend.

PostPosted: 10/02/18 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A general question: How much does performance in the World Cup/Olympics translate to performance in the WNBA?

In other words, what does doing well against that level and style of competition tell us about a player's chances of impacting the WNBA in the short run? The long run?

Obviously, great players will do well at any level, but as the saying goes, styles make fights, and some good players will look a lot better in one situation than they do in another.

I'm not making a case here, just curious about people's thoughts ...

PostPosted: 10/02/18 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't take the World Cup/Olympics game performances that seriously when judging WNBA ability for the following reasons.

1) A lot of the teams don't spend much time together, so the chemistry is bad.

2) You have an unusually compressed schedule -- 6 or 7 games in 9 days for the tournament just ended. Performances can be affected by depth, which the player has no control over.

3) Small sample size. A lot of the Belgian players looked great. However, if you dig into the history of players like Kim Mestdagh and Allemand, they are solid players but not necessarily stars in their overseas pro leagues. So, are they playing over their heads or is this the new, improved version of them?

4) Uneven competition. Just look at weak teams like Puerto Rico and Argentina. The majority of their players wouldn't even be a blip on the radar screen of a WNBA team. So, if a player puts up big numbers against these teams, how impressed should you be?

Mostly, I look at athletic ability and intangibles. Does the player have a pro body? Is she mobile? Does she move fluidly? Does the person play with energy? Does she display a high basketball IQ? What is her demeanor? Obviously, it helps if players can put up numbers, but their statistics outside of the tournament are probably more reliable. So again, you look at things that should carry over regardless of situation-- like shooting form, defensive effort, and fundamentals such as boxing out.

PostPosted: 10/02/18 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Magbegor should get a lot more playing time this season, Han will be playing in the pro league

What American will Han be playing with?

Shades

PostPosted: 10/02/18 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:

I’ll have to look up what level of All American she has reached at Stanford.

stever

PostPosted: 10/02/18 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FWIW, Smith was on the 15 member all PAC 12 team last season, her first time. She was Pac 12 POW one time.

https://pac-12.com/article/2018/02/26/2017-18-pac-12-womens-basketball-all-conference-teams-announced

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 10/02/18 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
I don't take the World Cup/Olympics game performances that seriously when judging WNBA ability for the following reasons.

1) A lot of the teams don't spend much time together, so the chemistry is bad.

2) You have an unusually compressed schedule -- 6 or 7 games in 9 days for the tournament just ended. Performances can be affected by depth, which the player has no control over.

3) Small sample size. A lot of the Belgian players looked great. However, if you dig into the history of players like Kim Mestdagh and Allemand, they are solid players but not necessarily stars in their overseas pro leagues. So, are they playing over their heads or is this the new, improved version of them?

4) Uneven competition. Just look at weak teams like Puerto Rico and Argentina. The majority of their players wouldn't even be a blip on the radar screen of a WNBA team. So, if a player puts up big numbers against these teams, how impressed should you be?

Mostly, I look at athletic ability and intangibles. Does the player have a pro body? Is she mobile? Does she move fluidly? Does the person play with energy? Does she display a high basketball IQ? What is her demeanor? Obviously, it helps if players can put up numbers, but their statistics outside of the tournament are probably more reliable. So again, you look at things that should carry over regardless of situation-- like shooting form, defensive effort, and fundamentals such as boxing out.

I like your thinking Root, IQ and fundamentals some of these draftees don't even have them and some peeps think they will make an impact.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 10/02/18 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With the exception of Durr, would you mind posting the first names of the other three picks you have for Dallas so I can checkout videos on them?

MrCam

PostPosted: 10/02/18 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Luuuc"]
root_thing wrote:
Ezi at the moment is effectively a PF who can't shoot. She's pretty athletic, and ... that is all.

Unlike A'ja who can shoot very well and is WAY more athletic than Ezi.

A'ja was Tournament MVP, headlined the Tournament All Star Five, &

lead her team to a FIBA World Title in 2015. When did Ezi do?

Alanna Smith made the all-star five for Australia.

Here is a question: Which of the three is the best player TODAY? A'ja
Wilson, Maria Vadeeva, or Alanna Smith?

Which player has done more in the WNBA so far?

Last edited by MrCam on 10/02/18 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrCam

PostPosted: 10/02/18 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
FWIW, Smith was on the 15 member all PAC 12 team last season, her first time. She was Pac 12 POW one time.

https://pac-12.com/article/2018/02/26/2017-18-pac-12-womens-basketball-all-conference-teams-announced

Is he as good as Sabrina Ionescu? Same conference.

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/02/18 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

>Here is a question: Which of the three is the best player TODAY? A'ja
Wilson, Maria Vadeeva, or Alanna Smith? Which player has done more in the WNBA so far?

Easy answer, of course, especially as Smith is still in college.

Don't quite get the point, though -- who's saying Vadeeva or Smith is better than Wilson?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 13 of 74

Jump to: