RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 89, 90, 91  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 09/02/18 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shooting guard is the easiest position to fill in this league. If people really want Durr, you should trade down for her. You wouldn't take her at #2 unless she had Augustus-like accuracy or Taurasi-type clutch ability. Those two are also big guards. Durr is listed at 5-10 but watching the ND games she looked noticeably shorter when standing next to 5-11 Mabrey.

PostPosted: 09/02/18 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am going to try and keep an open mind about this draft.

What I don't like about #2 is if the bigs go 1 and 2 then our choice is made by who LV takes and in theory we get the weaker one. So even if one of the bigs proves to be a close to sure bet we won't be getting that one. There are more question marks about the top players then we are used to. There will even be months of debate over who should go #1. If there are still question marks about both bigs I would rather take a player I feel confident will be a good scorer if nothing else I think both Durr and KlS and Ogunbowale will be effective on the offensive end.

One of the reasons I was ok with the 4th pick was I was going to like who we drafted and not have to worry about whiffing on the star at the next level who we might now miss if we go with the 2nd best big instead of the 2nd best player.

Hopefully Brown and McCowan kill it this season and are clearly the two best in the draft.

Because I don't want to be losing games to chicago with Durr and Deshields killing our guards or Indy with KlS and the Mitchell's lighting us up.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 09/02/18 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Shooting guard is the easiest position to fill in this league. If people really want Durr, you should trade down for her. You wouldn't take her at #2 unless she had Augustus-like accuracy or Taurasi-type clutch ability. Those two are also big guards. Durr is listed at 5-10 but watching the ND games she looked noticeably shorter when standing next to 5-11 Mabrey.

1,000% agree. I get why people want her, but you're not talking a Cappie or Taurasi impact here. If the thought is eventually she might be a 15 ppg player and she's not really a standout in other areas then I'm not seeing the impact you can get elsewhere. Especially in a draft where you can have whatever you choose in terms of style of player.

And...I think highly of J-Spoon's opinion. Totally get where he/she is coming from in terms of wanting a reliable scorer after watching the Libs brick shots all season. And this is definitely a unique draft in that there's no obvious top pick but a lot of very good players. That depth is why I am particularly eager to get some type of matchup advantage at a position as well as versatility. The thing I think Durr specifically doesn't give you is a major physical matchup advantage. She's listed at 5'10" and honestly even if she is a legit 5'10" she plays like a medium-sized shooting guard. The not being great at creating contact is another concern. She's ok at getting to the line, but her game is at its best when pulling up.

That's why I'd prefer KLS or even Collier. Durr is possibly a more dynamic 1-on-1 offensive player but there's no doubt the other two give more versatility. Although if we get anything other than a post player out of that pick I'm going to lose my mind.

PostPosted: 09/02/18 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK here's a fun hypothetical

What if Ionescu comes out? Do you offer Charles for the #1 pick? Is Ionescu the next once in a generation guard?

(I love Charles this is not meant as offense to her, but in another thread a Jefferson and #1 for Fowles trade was suggested and I though I could see that offer for Charles if Ionescu didn't enter so if she did would straight up or with the Jefferson throw in be considered. I also have to admit when this trade crossed my mind it was when some were suggesting if we stay in WC Tina might want out and we might need a full scale rebuild and starting with the #1 and #2 pick in a draft isn't a bad place to start. Wilson and Charles as a modern position-less from-court with Tina's game working in both the high post and out to the perimeter and Wilson on the block, with Plum, McBride and for now Young would be an intriguing combination).

root_thing

PostPosted: 09/02/18 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I didn't go big, I would personally prefer KLS. She is unique in her shooting ability at that height. I know some people say she's a bad defender. I don't agree. Defense is more than just staying in front of your man. It includes help defense, being in the right place, knowing when to switch, boxing out after the shot, etc. I would also point out that people have been saying for years that Taurasi, Bird, Dupree, and Parker are bad defenders. That's enough bad defense to make three of them sure hall-of-famers and the fourth a strong candidate. They've also got some rings.

As I've been re-watching games lately, it appears that Brown and McCowan are different enough so that I'm not sure who is "better." Both have obvious strengths and weaknesses. Brown is clearly more skilled offensively in just about every way imaginable. On defense, Kalani is more of a question mark. I found the Oregon State game to be rather telling. First off, why does Kim Mulkey send 6-4 Cox out there for the opening tip rather than 6-7 Brown? Is Cox a great leaper or is Brown a below average jumper? Then halfway through the game, Mulkey grew frustrated with Brown's defense and she switched to Cox guarding Gulich. Later, trailing in the 4th Qtr, the coach went offense-defense by swapping out Brown but leaving Cox on the court. At one point, with Baylor trailing by 3 and only 57 seconds left in the game, she continued the swap even after Cox had fouled out. It was rather shocking that with her season in jeopardy of ending, Mulkey pulled her supposed star player. For anyone scouting, that's not exactly a vote of confidence from the coach.

As for McCowan, she is a monster rebounder and appears to be a somewhat better shot-blocker than Brown. I'm not totally sure if it's actually better or if Teaira is just more active. Brown can back-off because she has Big 12 DPOY Cox helping her out. What we can say is that McCowan probably has more room to grow, which is an important consideration. Teaira is the choice for anyone who prefers defense, so my guess is that Laimbeer would choose her. Obviously, players can improve their game between now and draft day, rendering our current assumptions moot.

PostPosted: 09/24/18 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Our wonderful Coach is in town to watch the "Games" I call it

I would love to see Nayo back in a Liberty Uniform

Shades

PostPosted: 09/24/18 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:

Since she’s in the picture, I suspect she’ll be back in the Liberty picture.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 09/24/18 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:

Since she’s in the picture, I suspect she’ll be back in the Liberty picture.

I hope so.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 09/26/18 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sK2tihvxk1U" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 09/26/18 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If both KLS and or Collier don’t go somewhere in the first 4 picks, those GM’s should be fired. You ain’t gonna win championship’s without Uconn players on your roster.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/26/18 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
If both KLS and or Collier don’t go somewhere in the first 4 picks, those GM’s should be fired. You ain’t gonna win championship’s without Uconn players on your roster.

I'm sure Kelly Faris will be available if that's a requirement.

PostPosted: 09/26/18 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Aces, Sky and Liberty already meet that "mandatory" requirement. Pokey could pick up Chong on the cheap though and save her job.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/26/18 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:

To me, there's 6 players that could be deemed lottery picks. Two will miss out. My 6 are: McCowan, Brown, Durr, Samuelson, Collier & Ogunbowale. Let's see what all six do their senior year.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/26/18 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

To me, there's 6 players that could be deemed lottery picks. Two will miss out. My 6 are: McCowan, Brown, Durr, Samuelson, Collier & Ogunbowale. Let's see what all six do their senior year.

And that is before the much hinted at Ionescu declaration.

And before her injury Turner was 1a to Wilson's 1, so almost two years removed from her injury, with plenty of time when all she could do was work on her strength and shooting, and a coming year of high exposure on the top team I could see her climb into the conversation. If she is rebounding and shooting well Chicago at 4 doesn't seem too unrealistic.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/28/18 3:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So let's say just for a fun hypothetical that NY doesn't go big with the #2 (feel free to solve this decision however you like maybe Ionescu declares and falls to #2 as Laimbeer goes with a big at #1 which is my latest save the Liberty fantasy, or KLS or Durr have insanely great seasons and NY simply believes they are the best available, what ever floats your boat) and instead goes big at #14

for those watching the Worlds how would you feel about NY swinging for the fences and drafting Han Xu or Li Yueru? (Probably doesn't fit with the Charles window but Ionescu and Han Xu could be great building blocks for the future, ok I am grasping at straws a little bit just trying to stir things up).

Also what other bigs would be possible at 14 and how would you rate them I am thinking (if Anigwe and Sheppard are gone) maybe Gustafason or Jennings?

would Durr/Jennings or KLS/Gustafason be better than say Brown/Mabrey or McCowan/Moore?

toad455

PostPosted: 09/28/18 7:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been thinking the same thing. I prefer Durr over KLS. Anigwe may be available at #14.

PG: Boyd/L. Allen(off waivers)
SG: Durr/Rodgers/Hartley
SF: Nurse/free agent
PF: Charles/Raincock-Ekunwe
C: Zahui B./Anigwe/Stokes

Shades

PostPosted: 09/28/18 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Boyd/Hartley
Nurse/Rodgers/BPA at #16 or #18
BAllen/Zellous
Charles/Raincock-Ekunwe/BPA at #14
Stokes/Brown(#2)

Only 3 signed for 2019.

Since Charles wasn’t signed to an extension, I’ll say she gets cored.
If the Liberty are lucky, they’ll get Raincock back.
It’s hard to predict stability for this roster with Boyd and Zahui both looking for raises, and Rodgers, Prince, Zellous, Coleman, and Vaughn all looking for their vet salaries.
I’ll go with letting Vaughn walk, and Prince walking unless she is willing to work for dirt cheap, like what Coleman supposedly worked for last season.
I’ll go with trading Zahui for #16 or #18, and that will become your rookie guard addition.
#14 will be best available at PF (or guard if preferred. I know Spooner has had an eye on Mabrey. Perfect way to waste a pick)

root_thing

PostPosted: 09/28/18 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Again, someone please explain to me why Anigwe is going to fall out of the 1st Round when she was arguably the best player in her class for the first two years. There's no lack of athleticism or height, and Anigwe's statistical drop-off as a junior is no worse than that of Collier. If somehow Anigwe is available at #14, we should grab her and then do cartwheels.

I'm not convinced Li Yueru is 6-7. On TV, she looks noticeably shorter than both Cambage and Han Xu. I'm not sure she's even taller than Alex Bunton (6-5). Neither Chinese center appears anywhere near WNBA-ready to me. However, Han seems more active and she has all that length going for her with decent mobility. If you want to roll the dice on Han with #14, that's fine. However, I doubt she'll contribute much in her 1st year.

Just to put size in perspective, USA Basketball lists Griner at 6-9 205, K. Brown at 6-7 245, and McCowan at 6-7 238. Han Xu looked taller than Cambage, so she's probably a legitimat 6-9. However, she had a fraction of the girth. Han is thinner than Griner with less muscle definition, so I'm guessing maybe 180 lbs?

PostPosted: 09/28/18 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

Just to put size in perspective, USA Basketball lists Griner at 6-9 205, K. Brown at 6-7 245, and McCowan at 6-7 238. Han Xu looked taller than Cambage, so she's probably a legitimat 6-9. However, she had a fraction of the girth. Han is thinner than Griner with less muscle definition, so I'm guessing maybe 180 lbs?

So she has the build of Olive Oyl - give her some spinach.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/28/18 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Both Han Xu and Li Yueru need to build some muscle to complete in the WNBA. Cambage, Griner, Williams, and even Zahui B, Dolson and Paris will out muscle them inside.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/28/18 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
If you want to roll the dice on Han with #14, that's fine. However, I doubt she'll contribute much in her 1st year.

The Chinese version of Hamson.

Vadeeva was a much better prospect and she barely contributed her rookie year.

It’s good that Xu is apparently enthusiastic about trying out for the WNBA, but enthusiasm only gets you so far, as Park as shown.

I think once World Cup is over, people will quickly forget about her and return the focus on college players.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/28/18 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Han Xu should only be a late second round pick. Someone willing to make her their project. Vadeeva was late and actually saw her playing time increase throughout the season. Sometimes getting more minutes than Lavender. Let's see what Vadeeva does next season. Ji Su Park showed promise, and according to Laimbeer, has a very high basketball IQ.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/28/18 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

I'm not convinced Li Yueru is 6-7. On TV, she looks noticeably shorter than both Cambage and Han Xu. I'm not sure she's even taller than Alex Bunton (6-5). Neither Chinese center appears anywhere near WNBA-ready to me. However, Han seems more active and she has all that length going for her with decent mobility. If you want to roll the dice on Han with #14, that's fine. However, I doubt she'll contribute much in her 1st year.

I'd want Han's rights, but I'd be more than happy for her to take a couple of years to show up.

One problem with some of those height comparisons is that Liz is freaking ginormous and probably under-listed, unlike most basketball players.

PostPosted: 09/28/18 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

I'd want Han's rights, but I'd be more than happy for her to take a couple of years to show up.

One problem with some of those height comparisons is that Liz is freaking ginormous and probably under-listed, unlike most basketball players.

I agree. Han is intriguing but she would really benefit from playing overseas a couple of years to let both her game and body develop.

I think Cambage's height is probably correct. Where she's woefully underreported is in the weight department. WNBA.com has her listed at 216 lbs. If USA Basketball is correct about Brown being 245 and McCowan at 238, then I'm guessing Cambage has to be at least 250 lbs.

PostPosted: 09/29/18 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is 250Lbs of slo-mo and 250Lbs of Cambage go-mo 2 quite different things Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
Page 7 of 91

Jump to: