RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Which classic sitcom would you like to see return
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 09/26/18 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All in the Family would be great to reboot right now because we’re in the age of Trump. What better than to showcase a disgusting bigot, sexist and racist blowhard man when there is also one in the Oval Office right now.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 09/26/18 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I recall Saturday night on CBS in the 1970's as the all-time peak experience of prime time comedy viewing. Never missed it for years. Many spinoffs from, and characters in, these shows became famous themselves.

8:00 - All in the Family
8:30 - The New Dick Van Dyke Show, M.A.S.H., Bridget Loves Bernie, The Jeffersons
9:00 - The Mary Tyler Moore Show
9:30 - The Bob Newhart Show
10:00 - The Carol Burnett Show

Bridget Loves Bernie? Never heard of it.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/26/18 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
I recall Saturday night on CBS in the 1970's as the all-time peak experience of prime time comedy viewing. Never missed it for years. Many spinoffs from, and characters in, these shows became famous themselves.

8:30 - The New Dick Van Dyke Show, M.A.S.H., Bridget Loves Bernie, The Jeffersons

It was cancelled after one season even though it had very high ratings. Wikipedia says it's the highest rated show ever to get cancelled after only one season, presumably because of controversy over the mixed religious marriage plot. I once met the female star, Meredith Baxter (Birney), in a grocery store in Pacific Palisades.

CBS seemed to have the most difficult time filling the 8:30 time slot until The Jeffersons settled in. M.A.S.H., a giant hit, was only in the Saturday night slot for one season and then got moved all around weekly dial over the years.
StevenHW

PostPosted: 09/26/18 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The All In The Family references in this thread is timely, not because of Trump, but because I've catching up on episodes of AITF's continuation of the show, called Archie Bunker's Place. It ran from 1979-1983, but I was in college then, and seldom watched any primetime TV in those days.

That show is now on the nostalgic Antenna TV cable channel network.

https://antennatv.tv/shows/

I have to say that I do like watching Archie Bunker's Place. In that one, Archie had left his foreman and cab driver jobs, and buys Kelsey's Bar and renamed it after himself. He would take on a Jewish partner named Murray Klein (played by Martin Balsam).

The show doesn't have the groundbreaking edge that AITF had, but I think the producers had realized that many taboos had been broken already. I would much rather watch that show instead of most sitcoms today.

PostPosted: 09/26/18 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They could re-make the Cosby Show minus a life-time serial rapist.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 09/26/18 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
The All In The Family references in this thread is timely, not because of Trump, but because I've catching up on episodes of AITF's continuation of the show, called Archie Bunker's Place. It ran from 1979-1983, but I was in college then, and seldom watched any primetime TV in those days.

That show is now on the nostalgic Antenna TV cable channel network.

https://antennatv.tv/shows/

I have to say that I do like watching Archie Bunker's Place. In that one, Archie had left his foreman and cab driver jobs, and buys Kelsey's Bar and renamed it after himself. He would take on a Jewish partner named Murray Klein (played by Martin Balsam).

The show doesn't have the groundbreaking edge that AITF had, but I think the producers had realized that many taboos had been broken already. I would much rather watch that show instead of most sitcoms today.

Sadly, only the first season is available on DVD.
sambista

PostPosted: 09/27/18 4:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

mary tyler moore (chuckles the clown) * sigh! *
carol burnett (gone with the wind skit, w/burnett snatching curtains down to wear as a dress . . . "just something i saw in the window" . . . * sigh! * i wanted to be a comedian like carol burnett when i grew up.

PostPosted: 09/27/18 4:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okay, y'all made me do this.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TJny78bpsgo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

seems i forgot the exact script . . .
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eTKhw-v5h2I" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 09/27/18 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
okay, y'all made me do this.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TJny78bpsgo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

seems i forgot the exact script . . .
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eTKhw-v5h2I" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Carol Burnette Show is probably the funniest show in the history of television. I just wish they’d release every episode uncut and un-edited on DVD or Blu-ray. Most people don’t even remember that the show was originally 1 hour in length.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 09/30/18 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another sitcom making a comeback after being initially cancelled by ABC a year ago is Last Man Standing, starring Tim Allen. It is being revived on the Fox network and shown on Friday nights.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2018/09/27/tim-allen-last-man-standing-returns-fox/1435614002/

PostPosted: 09/30/18 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Kate McKinnon could star in a show like Carol.

Her humor style reminds me of women in that time period.

PostPosted: 10/03/18 1:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Night Court? Razz Arrow
    <iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="//www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x5d2zoh&start=484" allowfullscreen allow="autoplay"></iframe> Laughing

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 10/03/18 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Another sitcom making a comeback after being initially cancelled by ABC a year ago is Last Man Standing, starring Tim Allen. It is being revived on the Fox network and shown on Friday nights.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2018/09/27/tim-allen-last-man-standing-returns-fox/1435614002/

🤮

Richard 77

PostPosted: 10/03/18 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would say no to Night Court. The show was fresh and original, and the characters are classic. Night Court is best left untouched.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
Youth Coach

PostPosted: 10/03/18 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richard 77 wrote:
I would say no to Night Court. The show was fresh and original, and the characters are classic. Night Court is best left untouched.

I agree. And with Harry Anderson having died, it really makes no sense anyway.
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 10/05/18 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought Night Court was an unwatchable mess.

Richard 77

PostPosted: 10/09/18 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
I thought Night Court was an unwatchable mess.

I disagree. It had its low points, all shows do, but you can't forget some of the classic characters and guests.

John Astin as Harry's father. "I'm feeling much better now."

Yakov Smirnoff as Yakov Korolenko.

Mel Torme as himself and Harry's guardian angel.

And who can forget Brent Spiner and Annie O'Donnell and Bob and June Wheeler?

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
StevenHW

PostPosted: 05/31/19 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate, back in Sept. 2018, wrote:
All in the Family would be great to reboot right now because we’re in the age of Trump. What better than to showcase a disgusting bigot, sexist and racist blowhard man when there is also one in the Oval Office right now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_in_Front_of_a_Studio_Audience:_Norman_Lear%27s_All_in_the_Family_and_The_Jeffersons

An update: All In The Family actually got a one-episode reboot with a different cast last week on ABC-TV, along with another episode reboot of another 70's show, The Jeffersons. Officialy, it was called Live in Front of a Studio Audience: Norman Lear's All in the Family and The Jeffersons.

The idea for this special was from Jimmy Kimmel, and he brought the original shows' producer, Norman Lear, in front of a live studio audience to see both shows. There was also an interview and discussion session amongst the cast members and Lear immediately after the two episodes aired.

I believe you can watch the specials on ABC On Demand.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: