RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Good storylines entering 2018-19.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 09/20/18 12:52 pm    ::: Good storylines entering 2018-19. Reply Reply with quote

What are some interesting storylines to follow this season?

I'll put forth Mizzou adopting a fun-and -gun offense (and a pressing defense).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.columbiamissourian.com/sports/mizzou_womens_basketball/no-bigs-no-problem-missouri-women-s-basketball-ready-to/article_e7b3e3dc-b211-11e8-bfa3-e7610eccd4c2.amp.html

Shades

PostPosted: 09/20/18 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The ND going with Mabrey as the starting PG by choice storyline.
Toss in another ND one:
How will Turner come back from her long hiatus storyline.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 09/20/18 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
SDHoops

PostPosted: 09/20/18 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will South Dakota State finally get through the second round hump and qualify for a sweet 16? Love AJ, but he needs to bring on a good assistant with end of game situation experience. Losing to Baylor in 2009 and Stanford in 2016 are prime examples, but I'm also thinking of one year they played Oklahoma and had a chance but all he could do was have them run their offense, which basically ran the clock out.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/20/18 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will Whalen be successful as a first year coach?
She’s got some decent leftover pieces from the Stollings era.
They seem to be selling tickets, anyway.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/20/18 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will UConn take additional steps back with the loss of Williams, Nurse, and Stevens?

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 09/20/18 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Will South Dakota State finally get through the second round hump and qualify for a sweet 16? Love AJ, but he needs to bring on a good assistant with end of game situation experience. Losing to Baylor in 2009 and Stanford in 2016 are prime examples, but I'm also thinking of one year they played Oklahoma and had a chance but all he could do was have them run their offense, which basically ran the clock out.

Are the bunnies bringing a lot back? I'd like to see SoDakSt make a good run.

adamj95

PostPosted: 09/20/18 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
SDHoops wrote:

They bring back the two most important players Miller and Guebert. They also bring back Selland and Tagyn Larson. SDSU should be looking to make the tourney again.

PostPosted: 09/20/18 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mississippi State: reload or rebuild?

Coyotes

PostPosted: 09/20/18 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
SDHoops wrote:

They bring back the two most important players Miller and Guebert. They also bring back Selland and Tagyn Larson. SDSU should be looking to make the tourney again.

The Summit will likely be in a down year after last season's success. Western Illinois will probably take a step back with the graduation of Emily Clemens and Morgan Blumer. South Dakota will probably take a step back, but I would look for Denver to be a sleeper pick here with the addition of Courtney Smith. I think it'll be the Jackrabbits, followed by the Yotes, followed by the Pioneers in the end.

Elsewhere? The Battle for the PAC will be interesting -- can Oregon limp along with 7? Can the post Marie Gulich era in Corvallis get off to a bang? Will the sleeping giant Stanford revert to former form? Will Mariya Moore lead USC over the hump? What will Kristine Anigwe's swansong be? Will Charli Turner Thorne stun Baylor en route to a fantastic season?

So many questions.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 09/21/18 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

How will Turner come back from her long hiatus storyline.

A variation of this one is how will Turner mesh in with the rest of the team who were returning starters from last year.

ucbart

PostPosted: 09/22/18 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think an intriguing story line for this year is Vanderbilt. Vandy is coming off a terrible season and Stephanie White is entering her third year. She's gotta turn this thing around quick.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 09/22/18 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
I think an intriguing story line for this year is Vanderbilt. Vandy is coming off a terrible season and Stephanie White is entering her third year. She's gotta turn this thing around quick.

I think she gets a couple of more years. Natives are getting restless but she has to have time to get players who can play her style.

The clock is ticking a bit louder in Baton Rouge. They Regeants to my knowledge still have not moved on Fargas contract extension from this summer. That puts everything in limbo.

TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 09/24/18 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who plays the point in Waco with Morris gone? Could be the difference in a tough Final Four team and another sweet 16 team.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 09/25/18 8:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Which transfers will be granted immediate eligibility and not have to sit out a year.

Vic has applied to the NCAA to waive Andra Espinoza-Hunters one year redshirt in order to immediately eligible. He plans on seeking a waiver on behalf of Promise Taylor as well

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 09/25/18 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
adamj95 wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
SDHoops wrote:

The Summit will likely be in a down year after last season's success. Western Illinois will probably take a step back with the graduation of Emily Clemens and Morgan Blumer. South Dakota will probably take a step back, but I would look for Denver to be a sleeper pick here with the addition of Courtney Smith. I think it'll be the Jackrabbits, followed by the Yotes, followed by the Pioneers in the end.

Elsewhere? The Battle for the PAC will be interesting -- can Oregon limp along with 7? Can the post Marie Gulich era in Corvallis get off to a bang? Will the sleeping giant Stanford revert to former form? Will Mariya Moore lead USC over the hump? What will Kristine Anigwe's swansong be? Will Charli Turner Thorne stun Baylor en route to a fantastic season?

So many questions.

I still haven't seen anything on Nayara Sabally being injured. Can't find anything.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 09/25/18 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can the MAC come close to repeating the tremendous amount of success they had last year? I mean, I highly doubt they get 2 teams back into the Sweet 16 (Buffalo & Central Michigan last year for those with bad memories), but can they have multiple teams again winning big games and challenging for at-large bids? I know Ball State was dealt a HUGE blow when their returning PG did a grad transfer to Ohio State, but they should still be pretty solid. How will the likes of the aforementioned Buffalo & CMU be this year? How will Toledo, Ohio, Miami, Bowling Green, Western Michigan, etc be this year?

Also, obviously, Purdue? What the hell will be this year? Good? Bad? Ugly?

mzonefan

PostPosted: 09/25/18 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan's got their best ranked freshman class in the history of the program. Is it addition and/or subtraction now that Katelynn Flaherty, the program's record-setting shooter is gone?

Will KBA consistently get U-M to the next level competing for B10 championships and sweet 16s?

willtalk

PostPosted: 09/25/18 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:

I still haven't seen anything on Nayara Sabally being injured. Can't find anything.
She injured her left knee in the second quarter of the FIBA under 18 Euro championship game. in early August. She came out hoblbling with her knee wrapped to get her MVP and Championship medal, but I could also find nothing on what type of injury it might have been. Could have been a ACL or MCL. Unless it was not so bad as it seemed she probably is out for quite a while.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 09/25/18 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A good storyline would be Rebekah Dahlman at DePaul. There hasn’t been any press release that she was granted a sixth year of eligibility, but she’s listed on the 2018-2019 roster. She’s had numerous injuries and major illnesses. If healthy, she could be the MVP of the Big East.

sigur3

PostPosted: 09/25/18 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

U of I: will they win a game?

LitePal

PostPosted: 09/25/18 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are suggestions on the Baylor Board that Morris will sit out a year and return.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 09/25/18 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can Marquette finally break through and make the Sweet 16? It feels like it's now or never with their super 5 senior starters (not looking forward to the rebuild but they are getting attention from some good recruits at least). But this may really only be an interesting story line to me Smile

SDHoops

PostPosted: 09/26/18 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Which transfers will be granted immediate eligibility and not have to sit out a year.

Vic has applied to the NCAA to waive Andra Espinoza-Hunters one year redshirt in order to immediately eligible. He plans on seeking a waiver on behalf of Promise Taylor as well

Every player should apply for and get this. It won ND a championship. That old saying, what's good for the goose is good for the gander..smh

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 09/26/18 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If only it were that easy. After a grueling application process, and a very strong,well documented case for a waiver, the NCAA can call and tell you that they will approve it as long as your old coach signs off on ithe facts you presented. And four hours later, when he signs off on it and submits it, you will think “yay, we’re going to get a waiver.” And then two days later the NCAA will call back and say, “Oops, because we approved one girl, we had too many people apply, so we are not going to approve this waiver request.”....

summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/26/18 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
There are suggestions on the Baylor Board that Morris will sit out a year and return.

Sounds like magical thinking! Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: