RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Magazine previews
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
CBiebel



Joined: 23 Dec 2004
Posts: 646
Location: PA


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/23/18 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
On the South Dakota State fan board, there is a person that is taking credit for lining up the SDSU / Oregon game. This is based on a tweet from the Oregon coach back in April looking for additional games...


SDSU is one of those "we'll play anyone" programs. They're even able to get some of the top teams to visit them as well.


NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 3865
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/23/18 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
Hoopsmom wrote:
On the South Dakota State fan board, there is a person that is taking credit for lining up the SDSU / Oregon game. This is based on a tweet from the Oregon coach back in April looking for additional games...


SDSU is one of those "we'll play anyone" programs. They're even able to get some of the top teams to visit them as well.


Aaron Johnston has been able to do that since the Wabbits first transitioned to Division One 15 years ago.



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 11196
Location: Oklahoma (in my heart), whilst on my way to Oregon!


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/23/18 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
I have always backed the Pac-12 and believe that the conference is generally underrated, but I can't see three teams in the top 8. Five in the top 25 seems right. I hope that Cal can live up to this ranking.


Speaking of which....is AZ State really all that? I know nothing about them this year.



_________________
Oklahoma: Go Sooners! Oregon: Go Ducks!
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 9305



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/24/18 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
ClayK wrote:
. After all, no one looks back after the tournament and talks about the preseason schedule. All that matters is how you finish ...


The flip side of that is that if you don't play many tough teams during the season, you might not do as well in the Tournament because you aren't used to the competition.


I remain unconvinced that a game in December does much for you in March ... maybe it shows a team that its league competition is much weaker than what's coming up in the tournament, but I don't think any P5 team can coast through conference play without breaking a sweat, and thus needs to recall some game before Christmas.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12767



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/24/18 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
CBiebel wrote:
ClayK wrote:
. After all, no one looks back after the tournament and talks about the preseason schedule. All that matters is how you finish ...


The flip side of that is that if you don't play many tough teams during the season, you might not do as well in the Tournament because you aren't used to the competition.


I remain unconvinced that a game in December does much for you in March ... maybe it shows a team that its league competition is much weaker than what's coming up in the tournament, but I don't think any P5 team can coast through conference play without breaking a sweat, and thus needs to recall some game before Christmas.


I agree with that. By the same token, I'm not sure game outcomes in November actually prove much regarding the two teams' relative strength come March. They're just not the same teams after three months and 20 more games.

I think the bigger impact of patsy scheduling may be on seeding on the infrequent occasion when the committee seems to care. And if you're right on the bubble, it can affect whether you're in or out.

But while Brenda Frese may feel differently, I think the committee too rarely pays much attention to weak schedules. It seems you really have to stick out like a sore thumb to actually get penalized for playing a joke OOC schedule.


ucbart



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 1332
Location: New York


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/24/18 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ucbart wrote:
#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Ionescu 2nd team All American? She my pick for preseason POY.


I thought the same thing. She certainly is the media darling for POY this season. I thought her or whichever of Lou/Pheesa had the best season for UCONN would be POY. Those two are going to have to score A LOT this year.


What about Ogunbowale? I'd pick her much sooner than any UConn player atm. After her (probably never happen again kinda) FF performance, she certainly oughtta be a media darling. And--caliber of player that she is--I'd certainly bet on a repeat kind of season for her. Cool


ND just has SOOOOOO many weapons. They all cancel each other out, IMO. They literally will start 5 players who could be an All-American.


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 4851
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/24/18 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
CBiebel wrote:
ClayK wrote:
. After all, no one looks back after the tournament and talks about the preseason schedule. All that matters is how you finish ...


The flip side of that is that if you don't play many tough teams during the season, you might not do as well in the Tournament because you aren't used to the competition.


I remain unconvinced that a game in December does much for you in March ... maybe it shows a team that its league competition is much weaker than what's coming up in the tournament, but I don't think any P5 team can coast through conference play without breaking a sweat, and thus needs to recall some game before Christmas.


Agreed. This is why I'd love to see non-conference games sprinkled throughout the season, instead of being the leadup to the conference season. But..."we've always done it this way", so nothing will ever change.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 9305



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/24/18 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ClayK wrote:
CBiebel wrote:
ClayK wrote:
. After all, no one looks back after the tournament and talks about the preseason schedule. All that matters is how you finish ...


The flip side of that is that if you don't play many tough teams during the season, you might not do as well in the Tournament because you aren't used to the competition.


I remain unconvinced that a game in December does much for you in March ... maybe it shows a team that its league competition is much weaker than what's coming up in the tournament, but I don't think any P5 team can coast through conference play without breaking a sweat, and thus needs to recall some game before Christmas.


Agreed. This is why I'd love to see non-conference games sprinkled throughout the season, instead of being the leadup to the conference season. But..."we've always done it this way", so nothing will ever change.


That's a really good idea. Have two conference games in November, say, and two more in December. Now you get the fans in the arenas earlier, and get some interest going, and then you can schedule as needed during league. We're talking about good teams, but the conference patsy, the one that keeps getting blown out, can now throw in a mid-major (or worse) opponent in February and get a win. That makes the players, fans and coaches happy ...



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
umbeta1455



Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 1886
Location: Maine


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/24/18 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mess up


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 23157



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/25/18 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:


I think the bigger impact of patsy scheduling may be on seeding on the infrequent occasion when the committee seems to care. And if you're right on the bubble, it can affect whether you're in or out.


I'm not sure though if it does positively effect your bubbleness...since one more loss might be the difference between in or out. So does the committee look more at win-loss or at quality of losses?



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
SO ...I lost a bet with Rock about how many wins Chicago would get this year. My punishment - T. Young as my avatar. Well it could be worse!
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 9305



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/25/18 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:


I think the bigger impact of patsy scheduling may be on seeding on the infrequent occasion when the committee seems to care. And if you're right on the bubble, it can affect whether you're in or out.


I'm not sure though if it does positively effect your bubbleness...since one more loss might be the difference between in or out. So does the committee look more at win-loss or at quality of losses?


Especially at the lower levels, win-loss trumps strength of schedule ... and it's hard to ignore a team that's 25-6, even against weak opposition, and even more so if you're comparing them to a team that's 17-14.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
CBiebel



Joined: 23 Dec 2004
Posts: 646
Location: PA


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/25/18 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
but I don't think any P5 team can coast through conference play without breaking a sweat, and thus needs to recall some game before Christmas.


Unless you have a year where a given conference is down where pretty much none of the teams are good, which sometimes happens.

Also, part of the point of nonconference games is to prepare you for conference play, so if you aren't tested early, you can't find your flaws that you need to fix when you enter conference play.


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 9305



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/26/18 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
ClayK wrote:
but I don't think any P5 team can coast through conference play without breaking a sweat, and thus needs to recall some game before Christmas.


Unless you have a year where a given conference is down where pretty much none of the teams are good, which sometimes happens.

Also, part of the point of nonconference games is to prepare you for conference play, so if you aren't tested early, you can't find your flaws that you need to fix when you enter conference play.


True ... going 12-0 against patsies isn't going to get you ready for conference play. But I still claim that the teams you play in December have almost nothing to do with how good you are in March.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 2110



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/26/18 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah playing some tough games early doesn't show what your weaknesses are and what you need to work on Rolling Eyes


FrozenLVFan



Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Posts: 1050



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/26/18 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm surprised to see six SEC teams in anyone's Top 25, and even more surprised to see Tenn and Georgia as the two in the Top 10, well ahead of Miss State, which I still think is the SEC favorite. While they lost a lot, they're bringing back a lot more than anyone else, except maybe SoCar.


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 9305



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/27/18 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Yeah playing some tough games early doesn't show what your weaknesses are and what you need to work on Rolling Eyes


All of that will be exposed in conference play for the P5 teams ... which is who we're talking about.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 3865
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/27/18 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I'm surprised to see six SEC teams in anyone's Top 25, and even more surprised to see Tenn and Georgia as the two in the Top 10, well ahead of Miss State, which I still think is the SEC favorite. While they lost a lot, they're bringing back a lot more than anyone else, except maybe SoCar.


I think Georgia could take the conference. They finished 4th last year and by far return more key contributors than any of the other front runners. They've got a solid post player in a Robinson, and a solid point guard in Cole. The two sophomore wings may be the question mark; they had great frosh seasons.



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
ucbart



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 1332
Location: New York


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/27/18 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
Yeah playing some tough games early doesn't show what your weaknesses are and what you need to work on Rolling Eyes


All of that will be exposed in conference play for the P5 teams ... which is who we're talking about.


We lost a big crop of seniors to graduation in 2018.....except for the team that won the NC, which should be scary for the rest of the country. I think there are going to be a whole lot of P5 teams that lose games they shouldn't, except for ND, Oregon and Baylor...as they are light years ahead of the rest of the teams in their conference. Sorry Texas fans, Aston will never beat Baylor. I mean, how does your team have Ariel Atkins and she doesn't sniff an AA team?


Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 11196
Location: Oklahoma (in my heart), whilst on my way to Oregon!


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/27/18 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Sorry Texas fans, Aston will never beat Baylor.

Ummm....she already HAS. Recently As in, last year. Laughing And it will happen again.



_________________
Oklahoma: Go Sooners! Oregon: Go Ducks!
Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 2110



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/28/18 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
Yeah playing some tough games early doesn't show what your weaknesses are and what you need to work on Rolling Eyes


All of that will be exposed in conference play for the P5 teams ... which is who we're talking about.


We lost a big crop of seniors to graduation in 2018.....except for the team that won the NC, which should be scary for the rest of the country. I think there are going to be a whole lot of P5 teams that lose games they shouldn't, except for ND, Oregon and Baylor...as they are light years ahead of the rest of the teams in their conference. Sorry Texas fans, Aston will never beat Baylor. I mean, how does your team have Ariel Atkins and she doesn't sniff an AA team?


Stanford has generally always scheduled some tough out of conferences game as Tara likes to see where her team is and what she needs to work on So Not sure why you think coaches shouldn't do this as it seems to be working out for them.


ucbart



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 1332
Location: New York


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/29/18 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Sorry Texas fans, Aston will never beat Baylor.

Ummm....she already HAS. Recently As in, last year. Laughing And it will happen again.


Not last year, but in 2017. Texas was pre-season ranked #2 last year. Texas really underachieved. They will probably beat them at some point, but not when it really counts.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 23157



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/29/18 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tough early games can work both ways. It lets you see your own weaknesses so you can work on them, but it also lets the whole country see those weaknesses and work on their strategy to beat you.


Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 2110



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/29/18 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So true, but hopefully you fix them before you play the tough ones down the road.


Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 11196
Location: Oklahoma (in my heart), whilst on my way to Oregon!


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/29/18 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Howee wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Sorry Texas fans, Aston will never beat Baylor.

Ummm....she already HAS. Recently As in, last year. Laughing And it will happen again.


Not last year, but in 2017. Texas was pre-season ranked #2 last year. Texas really underachieved. They will probably beat them at some point, but not when it really counts.


Yes, darlin'....LAST YEAR. It's currently 2018. Last year was 2017. (Mind you, I didn't say Last Season! Laughing ) That's why we wanna be careful when we use the word "Never". Cool

And, did they really "underachieve" or did the early pollsters just not know what they're doing? [See: above--Tennessee #5] Rolling Eyes



_________________
Oklahoma: Go Sooners! Oregon: Go Ducks!
PickledGinger



Joined: 04 Oct 2013
Posts: 405



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/29/18 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oregon State is the most intriguing team for me because it has so many variables, especially with the addition of Slocum. I think they will have to play more small-ball than every before with all those talented guards, but it one of the freshman trees makes an impact I could see them as a Top 10 team.


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin