Board Junkies Forums

Exciting time to be a Styx fan!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 08/28/18 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:
Yep... Right now, the Mystics have their best chance of winning a Championship since... EVER Shocked Idea

Probably, though they were also up 1-0 in the semifinals in 2002.

More than probably though, the Mystics would have lost to the Leslie-led 2002 Sparks... So I stand by my previous comment Twisted Evil Idea

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 08/28/18 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lethalweapon3 wrote:
Ted's sure been living right this summer, eh?

He'll have to do a lot more to make up for giving Grunfeld that secret extension Rolling Eyes

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/28/18 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just occurred to me that if everything goes according to the current plan, the Mystics have played their last game in Capital One Arena. After all those years being mocked for raising attendance banners, presumably if they finally won a title this year, they'd raise their first proper banner in that practice facility before their first ever game there.

Would be a hell of a way to open there, but a bit of a shame that it cuts 16,000 off the theoretical attendance.

PostPosted: 08/28/18 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Just occurred to me that if everything goes according to the current plan, the Mystics have played their last game in Capital One Arena. After all those years being mocked for raising attendance banners, presumably if they finally won a title this year, they'd raise their first proper banner in that practice facility before their first ever game there.

Would be a hell of a way to open there, but a bit of a shame that it cuts 16,000 off the theoretical attendance.

Be much better for the Dream to raise the flag in the newly renovated Phillips arena.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 08/28/18 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Hawkins only has five years of WNBA experience anyway, so would be restricted even if she was out of contract.

How many years is it until you become unrestricted again?

You need six, but obviously you also have to be out of contract, and not everyone is after their sixth season.

Tianna Hawkins has a $70K contract with the Mystics for the 2019 season, according to the spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PsHkvE7SJtsV7fq7QHt7UfKPQHJg7_uLgZIkbwPbdi0/edit#gid=307417063[url]

toad455

PostPosted: 08/28/18 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mystics will be crowded inside with Delle Donne, Meesseman and Hawkins at PF. They need a true center to backup Sanders. Hawkins gets killed, even against the likes of E. Williams, Paris, Lavender, Dolson and Achonwa.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/28/18 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Mystics will be crowded inside with Delle Donne, Meesseman and Hawkins at PF. They need a true center to backup Sanders. Hawkins gets killed, even against the likes of E. Williams, Paris, Lavender, Dolson and Achonwa.

Yeah, but Meesseman's a little bigger and can play inside at the 5 when necessary. They also still have Krystal Thomas for now. If you can keep her on the vet minimum, that's a solid use for your 12th spot if they've got room.

PostPosted: 08/28/18 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
pilight wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:
Yep... Right now, the Mystics have their best chance of winning a Championship since... EVER Shocked Idea

Probably, though they were also up 1-0 in the semifinals in 2002.

More than probably though, the Mystics would have lost to the Leslie-led 2002 Sparks... So I stand by my previous comment Twisted Evil Idea

Didnt they get a win over LA that year ? I remember the Sacto game in which The Claw had one of the best performances ive ever seen in styx uniform ! Probably still would have gotten trounced by LA in the finals though . #GoodOleDays

PostPosted: 08/28/18 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Yeah, but Meesseman's a little bigger and can play inside at the 5 when necessary. They also still have Krystal Thomas for now. If you can keep her on the vet minimum, that's a solid use for your 12th spot if they've got room.

Curious who they draft? A backup PG and keep Toliver at SG?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 08/28/18 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As horrendous as the Mystics history has been since day one, I’m happy for Mystics fans. They should be able to get past Atlanta easily enough, but Seattle will be a much tougher assignment. I think the Mystics reach their first ever WNBA finals, but they won’t win it all. Still something to be proud about considering how jinxed this teams been.

It’s unfortunate though, that as a prize for finally getting over that hump, they get degraded into a shitty tiny arena next year. If i were a Mystics fan, I’d be very excited about the possibilities of this season, but absolutely pissed off with their future, soon to be new home.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/28/18 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Curious who they draft? A backup PG and keep Toliver at SG?

They needed that at times this year. Once Thibault went to the lineups with both Cloud and Toliver starting, he didn't have anyone to run the team behind them, so when they both rested together it could be a real shambles. The roster's pretty crowded, so it's going to be interesting to see who falls off the end. Currie's probably gone to make room, as long as they can bring Ruffin-Pratt back at a reasonable price. If someone else wants to overpay TRP, she might be gone. They probably keep Walker-Kimbrough another year because she's a cheap backup, even though she's been barely used most of this season.

The priorities will be re-signing Sanders and Cloud, and given how important Sanders has been this year they might even core her (Cloud's an RFA, so not going anywhere). All of which is a long-winded way of saying that yes, if it comes down to purely a positional-need choice, a genuine point guard is the most obvious hole. But they could also pick up one of those many, many replacement-level PGs off the free agent scrap heap to do the same job, and just take Best Player Available with the pick.

PostPosted: 08/29/18 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Things change so quickly ...

Assuming EDD has the dreaded acronym, the Mystics are done this year and without her next season. The new gym will comfortably fit the "crowds", I'm afraid, who will be watching Emma be good but not great, and Aerial Powers show why basketball IQ matters.

PostPosted: 09/15/18 3:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Things change so quickly ...

Assuming EDD has the dreaded acronym, the Mystics are done this year and without her next season. The new gym will comfortably fit the "crowds", I'm afraid, who will be watching Emma be good but not great, and Aerial Powers show why basketball IQ matters.

Well thank god this didn't happen

PostPosted: 09/23/18 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZvZPaH7QIVI" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 09/23/18 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great to hear from you!

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/23/18 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
. . . and Aerial Powers show why basketball IQ matters.

I laughed when I read this line.

So absolutely true and on point, yet hilarious at the same time.

In eight words summing up her entire basketball playing history.

Physical talent will only take one so far.

And I am really happy to see a post, any post, from plight. Welcome back.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: