RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Who will be THE standout freshman on your team?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/17/18 6:55 pm    ::: Who will be THE standout freshman on your team? Reply Reply with quote

At JMU, we hope it will be Eleanore Marciszewski. Not only does she come in with all kinds of gold stars from Canada (including an invite to try out for the national team), but it's going to be fun to hear the opposing team's announcers trying to say her name.....

PostPosted: 09/17/18 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Sonja Morris will be the standout freshmen at DePaul; however, I'm not sure how much playing time any of the freshmen are going to get. We have so many guards I just don't think it will happen. Morris is a lockdown defender. Known as a blue collar player who will do anything for the team so I think she'll do whatever is asked to get some playing time.

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 09/18/18 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For South Dakota, I don’t see freshmen getting a lot of minutes right away, unless there is one who can replace the job Jasmine Trimboli did last year, as in first off the bench and do whatever was asked of her. The newcomer to the team that makes the most impact will be Redshirt Sophomore Hannah Sjerven at center. For Minnesota, I don’t know enough about any of the incoming freshmen, but whoever can step up and fill the hole left by Carlie Wagner will be an asset to Lindsey’s group.

adamj95

PostPosted: 09/18/18 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Minnesota- Mercedes Staples
SDSU- Paiton Burckhard

PostPosted: 09/18/18 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
For Minnesota, I don’t know enough about any of the incoming freshmen, but whoever can step up and fill the hole left by Carlie Wagner will be an asset to Lindsey’s group.

Minnesota used a 4 guard system last season. Stollings likes a run and gun style of play. Prefers smaller players. She even contemplated not starting Zahui her first year here (Zahui’s All American year. Zahui got out from under Stollings’ thumb quickly). Confused

This year, I’m hoping they return to a true two post system. So the lost of Wagner may not hurt them too badly. They have Bell-Hubbard-Pitts as their solid perimeter players. Freshmen need not apply to crack that lineup. Their prominent freshman should be guard Staples, #64 ranked ESPN. The Gophers rarely crack Top 50 with prospects. I think Wagner was #54; Pitts about the same. Staples should be a nice guard off the bench. Hoping the Gophers can land Bueckers for 2020. That would really be something. Earth-shattering.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 09/18/18 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford:I'm hoping Jenna Brown can play off the ball since K.Williams and Sniezak are both PGs. If she can, then she will possibly be an impact player...even though Tara's doesn't tend to overplay her Freshmen.

The Hulls will face substantial competition on the wing so I would be pleasantly surprised if they made any kind of impact.

- Amanda Gorman
calbearman76

PostPosted: 09/18/18 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cal has McKenzie Ford as their top freshman, but most likely more important Recee Caldwell comes in as a graduate transfer from Texas Tech. Of the 14 players on the team, 10 are listed as guards, leaving only Kristine Anigwe, CJ West, Alaysia Styles and little used Chen Yue in the front court. It will be interesting to see how Gottlieb utilizes her roster and whether they play a 4 guard lineup. They have less size than the past several years, but they will still be quite athletic.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 09/18/18 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For Marquette, there's only one freshman so I guess it's Chloe Marotta by default Smile. With 5 senior starters, I'm not figuring on her getting much playing time. I think Marquette is in a lot of trouble after this year but hopefully they can do well with this senior class.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 09/19/18 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mississippi State has brought in 3 frosh and all appear talented but red shirt frosh Myah Taylor will most likely be the most likely to earn minutes as a backup point guard. The post depth offered by Jessika Carter and Daphane White will provide opportunities to rest T, but Their point of impact will be the following year.

bucks4now

PostPosted: 09/19/18 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LMAO, we don't have a freshman! They are all grad transfers!!!!!!

Shades

PostPosted: 09/19/18 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:

Reeve would love coaching this team Wink

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ucbart

PostPosted: 09/19/18 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, for UCONN, they both better be ready to contribute....and right off the bat. I think Williams has a better chance to be successful early. She is a big, strong guard and they acclimate better to the college game. ONO has major talent, but she will get pushed around like a rag doll in the post, I fear.

mred

PostPosted: 09/19/18 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iowa State has a few freshmen that might contribute, but the obvious answer is guard Ashley Joens. She was the captain and 2nd-leading scorer for USA's U18 team at the FIBA Americas.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 09/19/18 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For ND, it's likely to be Jordan Nixon, since she's considered the likely PG for next year, which means that they're going to be putting her in to get some experience (and possible to get a true PG in at times).

The other two guards are also very good, but it's more a matter of the specific position.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/19/18 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duke: none (possibly the Australian whose name escapes me)

~rAf
zvyn3

PostPosted: 10/01/18 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There won't be one because nobody can stand out under Holly Warlick. My favorite freshman is Zarielle Green.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 10/02/18 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Williams will start as we need her and she is much better than Meg Walker was as a freshman and is now even though she will also probably start.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/02/18 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Duke: none (possibly the Australian whose name escapes me)

Miela Goodchild

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 10/02/18 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oklahoma Madi Williams, will probably be asked to play some small ball 4, but some Sooner fans liken her to Angel Mccoughtry
mzonefan

PostPosted: 10/03/18 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Out of the five freshmen, Naz Hillmon and Amy Dilk, have my expectations to make impact this year at Michigan.

Hillmon played with USA U/19 this year. She has a fire like Jillian Dunston with more height.

Dilk may start at the point if KBA moves Deja Church over to the 2.

Jlcarter

PostPosted: 10/03/18 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jasmine Masengill.

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/03/18 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I thought I'd check in on UCSB ...

First, the press release announcing the three recruits said the Gauchos expected 11 returners -- they got five, with the best young freshman, Sara Bates, transferring to Kansas State.

The roster, though, has 10 names on it, including LIU transfer Paris Jones, who shot 17% from the field and L.A. City College sophomore transfer Bri Anugwom.

None of the three freshmen were on the Hoopgulz top 100, which is not surprising, so after trying to find high school stats and results, the answer is ...

Megan Ormiston from 14-13 Murrieta Valley. She's 6-3, averaged 14 points and 18 rebounds and was first team all-league. It's going to be quite a jump to the D-1 level, though, so who knows what to expect.

Lauren Lee from Trinity in Illinois was second team all-region, averaged 13 points and played strong defense as a 5-11 guard; 5-10 Kiana Vierra from 24-12 Kamehameha was one of 35 honorable mentions (after three teams of five) all-Hawaii.

The Gauchos were 12-17 last year, but were 10-8 after a 2-9 start.

It may difficult for Bonnie Henrickson to match that this year, but at least she's living in Santa Barbara.

PostPosted: 10/03/18 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FSU brought in 5 freshman. The highest ranked newbie Nicoletti will miss this season due to ACL. FSU has 10 players so all freshman will get quality minutes.

After listening to ACC media, Kourtney Weber out of Lousiana will make her presence felt and could be the "stand out" freshman on the team.

SocksTerp

PostPosted: 10/04/18 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:

Janai Crooms has some serious guard skills

SocksTerp

PostPosted: 10/04/18 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shakira Austin for Maryland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: