RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2018 Team USA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 09/19/18 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

Clarendon's selection is a bit of puzzle, however, it would not have looked the same if it was the 2017 season that just ended. She was a WNBA All Star and put up some lofty assist numbers albeit for a lottery team. Staley was at some Dream games last year - maybe she saw something she liked.

Are you saying the Dream made a Reeve-level mistake letting Clarendon go?
2017 doesn’t mean that much if 2018 doesn’t back it up. In 2017, AGray was ROY. Now Dallas fans are looking to deal her. I do think Clarendon was enthusiastic about being at every Team USA camp available.

But the Curt Miller thing doesn’t seem like a factor to you?

Randy wrote:
Another issue is who was better among PG candidates that actually showed up.

Kelsey Plum blew every bench guard out of the water in most categories. You don’t really need more than one backup PG because Taurasi will likely be the first backup to Bird anyway. But I suppose they might have been worried about the durability of Bird. One good shot to even a masked nose and she could be out.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/19/18 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's always that, y'know, wild possibility that they performed the best in practices and warm-ups and executed what the coaches wanted better than the players they beat out.

PostPosted: 09/19/18 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sims should have been on this roster instead of Clarendon and DeShields over Tuck. Let's see which ones that opted to sit out get a chance at the 2020 squad.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Aladyyn

PostPosted: 09/19/18 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sims is one of the most overrated players in the league.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/19/18 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
If Curt Miller has undue influence on the selection process, he's arguably using it incorrectly. Doesn't having two of your backups on the National Team imply that you've been starting the wrong people on your own team? I think there's more going on here than just favoritism.

They won’t be starting in the real games in the tournament. If Tuck maintains this level of play, Miller is definitely making a mistake going forward if he has Stricklen playing ahead of her. Maybe he’s seeing that now because Tuck has never been this healthy?

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/19/18 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
There's always that, y'know, wild possibility that they performed the best in practices and warm-ups and executed what the coaches wanted better than the players they beat out.

Look, there's really no room on this board for such fanciful speculation. The world of women's basketball is clearly controlled by a small group of people, who determine which players foul out of which games, which players make which rosters and which college transfers are eligible immediately (among many, many other tasks).

This group, as we all know, secretly meets in Waffle House kitchens (to avoid closure due to natural disasters) several times a year, and after ingesting either hash brown bowls or waffles and eggs, makes all decisions regarding the sport.

Please cease making your outlandish claims or the mods may be forced to remove you from the forum.

PostPosted: 09/19/18 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Are you serious Clay or is that a joke because I am hoping you are joking.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/19/18 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:

Clearly sarcasm..

sigur3

PostPosted: 09/19/18 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

Clearly sarcasm..

It was pretty good until the part about mods removing people from the forum.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/19/18 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

Clearly sarcasm..

It was pretty good until the part about mods removing people from the forum.

Uh oh.. Surprised

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 09/19/18 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

threadkiller1201 wrote:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/09/wnt-scr-aus-9-19.aspx

weird seeing Sami on the other team Confused but--good for her!!

Oh I know! I'm USA all the way, but most of my parents' siblings are naturalized Aussies, so I'll always have a soft spot for Australia. I hope Sami does well. It sure would be interesting to watch if she's matching up with Jewell!

Randy

PostPosted: 09/19/18 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Randy wrote:

Clarendon's selection is a bit of puzzle, however, it would not have looked the same if it was the 2017 season that just ended. She was a WNBA All Star and put up some lofty assist numbers albeit for a lottery team. Staley was at some Dream games last year - maybe she saw something she liked.

Are you saying the Dream made a Reeve-level mistake letting Clarendon go?
2017 doesn’t mean that much if 2018 doesn’t back it up. In 2017, AGray was ROY. Now Dallas fans are looking to deal her. I do think Clarendon was enthusiastic about being at every Team USA camp available.

But the Curt Miller thing doesn’t seem like a factor to you?

Randy wrote:
Another issue is who was better among PG candidates that actually showed up.

Kelsey Plum blew every bench guard out of the water in most categories. You don’t really need more than one backup PG because Taurasi will likely be the first backup to Bird anyway. But I suppose they might have been worried about the durability of Bird. One good shot to even a masked nose and she could be out.

Nobody did or could make a mistake as big as Reeves did, and certainly not the Dream. For whatever reasons she wasn't clicking this year with the new schemes. Once Bentley arrived the team was something like 16-2 and Clarendon seemed to fit in well as a reserve for the Sun. One of those trades that helped both teams.

I don't disagree with your second point, but I'm willing to consider that Staley might have seen it differently and wanted 3 pgs. I would have rather have a SF like DD, and let Taurasi spit on the court from her guard position. Razz

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/19/18 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Was prior USAB experience a factor?

Morgan Tuck is a strong veteran of USAB, having won gold medals in the 2013 FIBA U19 World Cup, 2012 FIBA Americas U18 Championship, 2011 FIBA U19 World Cup, and 2010 FIBA U17 World Cup; and she made the 2009 U16 team as a high school freshman but had to withdraw after tearing her ACL. A 37-2 record. Perhaps all that weighed in her favor.

Clarendon, on the other hand, only played on one USAB team, the 2009 U19. So, maybe prior USAB experience didn't count.

A push.
craigmont

PostPosted: 09/19/18 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
And according to USA Basketball: https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/09/wwc-team-named.aspx

That's the cut that makes the most sense to me, given the 13 they'd left themselves with. There's just no way you should be taking seven posts into the tournament.

Hilarious that after all the whining about Geno supposedly picking his teams, arguably the most surprising member of this squad still went to UConn.

What the hell is Delle Donne doing there? Shouldn't she be resting and rehabbing her knee injury?

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/19/18 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So six players on the Worlds team who were not on the Olypmic team in 2016.

A year ago if you said Tuck, Clarendon and Plum would be on this team you would have been destroyed by most posters on the board. If you said E. Will would have been the last cut you also would have been destroyed. If you said Wilson would have been on the team you would have been accusing Staley of nepotism. And if you said Loyd would be on the team but Diggins-Smith would not that would have been shocking as well.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/19/18 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So drama going into 2020 assuming Moore and Fowles come back that is two less spots Clarendon and Tuck seem like the obvious choices but adding Fowles to EDD, Stewart, N. Ogwumike, Charles, Wilson and Griner leaves you with 7 posts. So would team USA cut one of the siz posts on the Worlds team for Fowles and if so who? N. Ogwumike and Charles seem like the the last two of the six.

If Plum plays well and continues to develop I could see her claiming that back up spot for 2020. However,I doubt Clarendon can hold off all comer come 2020 for the last guard spot, but who comes to take it? A two years further into her development Ionescu? the two who passed on the opportunity to play on the Worlds team Diggins-Smith or C. Gray? K. Mitchell with two years starting at the PG spot in the WNBA under her belt? (If they feel Bird, Plum, sometimes DT and sometimes Loyd is enough to cover the point the bring a shooter/scorer who has been in the pipeline like Durr? or a Deshields who has two more years to prove herself to the team? Does Angel have just enough distance from her injury come 2020 to reclaim her spot? Do they dare take a WNBA rookie like C. Carter? Or look even farther into the future with college kid future of the PG spot Azzi-Fudd?

My early 2020 guess
(which if this Worlds team taught me anything I will be very wrong going into 2020)

Bird/Plum/?
DT/Loyd
Moore/EDD
Stewart/Wilson/Charles or N. Ogwumike
Griner/Fowles

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/19/18 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
And according to USA Basketball: https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/09/wwc-team-named.aspx

That's the cut that makes the most sense to me, given the 13 they'd left themselves with. There's just no way you should be taking seven posts into the tournament.

Hilarious that after all the whining about Geno supposedly picking his teams, arguably the most surprising member of this squad still went to UConn.

What the hell is Delle Donne doing there? Shouldn't she be resting and rehabbing her knee injury?

She played through the injury for her club team because it was the playoffs; if her country still wants her, isn't the World Cup kinda the same thing? If USA Basketball felt they had better options than a half-fit Delle Donne they should've told her to stay home.

PostPosted: 09/20/18 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
craigmont wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

She played through the injury for her club team because it was the playoffs; if her country still wants her, isn't the World Cup kinda the same thing? If USA Basketball felt they had better options than a half-fit Delle Donne they should've told her to stay home.

She's one of the best players in the world at 100%; if she's at 90%, she's still really, really good.

And a bone bruise doesn't take months to heal, though conceivably it could bother her for a while yet. Still, even if all she does is spot up for threes and handle the ball late in close games to get to the line, she can help the team win.

PostPosted: 09/20/18 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
So drama going into 2020 assuming Moore and Fowles come back that is two less spots Clarendon and Tuck seem like the obvious choices but adding Fowles to EDD, Stewart, N. Ogwumike, Charles, Wilson and Griner leaves you with 7 posts. So would team USA cut one of the siz posts on the Worlds team for Fowles and if so who? N. Ogwumike and Charles seem like the the last two of the six.

If Plum plays well and continues to develop I could see her claiming that back up spot for 2020. However,I doubt Clarendon can hold off all comer come 2020 for the last guard spot, but who comes to take it? A two years further into her development Ionescu? the two who passed on the opportunity to play on the Worlds team Diggins-Smith or C. Gray? K. Mitchell with two years starting at the PG spot in the WNBA under her belt? (If they feel Bird, Plum, sometimes DT and sometimes Loyd is enough to cover the point the bring a shooter/scorer who has been in the pipeline like Durr? or a Deshields who has two more years to prove herself to the team? Does Angel have just enough distance from her injury come 2020 to reclaim her spot? Do they dare take a WNBA rookie like C. Carter? Or look even farther into the future with college kid future of the PG spot Azzi-Fudd?

My early 2020 guess
(which if this Worlds team taught me anything I will be very wrong going into 2020)

Bird/Plum/?
DT/Loyd
Moore/EDD
Griner/Fowles

Not disagreeing with your 2020 Olympic team projections, but having an ancient starting backcourt (Bird pushing 40; DT 2 years behind) cannot be a source of optimism. Sure both future Hall of Famers were great this year in the W, but father time catches up with everyone; if not a loss of ability, then increasing chance of injury (and I am not thinking broken noses). I do think many on this board make the error of transferring what they see in the WNBA to international ball. For instance, much is made of the weak defensive backcourt (correctly) on this World Cup team, but they will not be facing players like, say, Tiffany Hayes, or Jewel Loyd on foreign teams. Heck, my memory from the 2016 Olympics was that Aussie pg Leilani Mitchell, was one of the best. One just does not see the kind of athleticism on other foreign teams that is all over the WNBA.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/20/18 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

My early 2020 guess

Bird/Plum/?
DT/Loyd
Moore/EDD
Griner/Fowles

Not disagreeing with your 2020 Olympic team projections, but having an ancient starting backcourt (Bird pushing 40; DT 2 years behind) cannot be a source of optimism. Sure both future Hall of Famers were great this year in the W, but father time catches up with everyone; if not a loss of ability, then increasing chance of injury (and I am not thinking broken noses). I do think many on this board make the error of transferring what they see in the WNBA to international ball. For instance, much is made of the weak defensive backcourt (correctly) on this World Cup team, but they will not be facing players like, say, Tiffany Hayes, or Jewel Loyd on foreign teams. Heck, my memory from the 2016 Olympics was that Aussie pg Leilani Mitchell, was one of the best. One just does not see the kind of athleticism on other foreign teams that is all over the WNBA.

I see your point but it looks like DT and Bird are going to try and hang on to 2020. I believe they are both forgoing over-seas play so they can rest and keep their bodies in as good a shape as possible. As you said both had great years this year and they are already old by WNBA standards. They both have incredible basketball IQ and neither one really relies on athleticism to get it done. More to the point if they remain healthy I can't see the powers that be not let them stay on the team, and I doubt both show up for this Worlds when many others did not if they are not gunning for the next Olympics. Loyd, Plum, and a third guard off the bench can also take a large share of minutes in most International competition. Bird and DT aren't going to need to play 30 minutes a night in most games. Only serious injury will keep them off the team IMO.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/21/18 1:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why isn't Maya Moore with Team USA in Spain? Lynx star is taking a much-needed break

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/24746165/minnesota-lynx-star-maya-moore-taking-much-needed-break-basketball

Quote:
Moore said she found the 2018 WNBA season to be extremely taxing, and rest became a priority.

"I can't remember a year that has been as demanding as this one," Moore said. "Coming from overseas to the compressed season, which everybody witnessed was an unbelievably competitive and tough season, top to bottom.

Quote:
One thing Moore is doing, though, is working with a program called "Most Valuable Coach," which is sponsored by U.S. Cellular and honors coaches at kindergarten through high school levels. People can vote via the award's website for their favorites among the 50 nominees. There will be three ultimate winners chosen via a combination of voting and an expert panel, which includes Moore and Green Bay Packers wide receiver Randall Cobb.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/21/18 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On the one hand, there's the Team USA roster; on the other is the opposition.

Which countries have a legitimate shot at a gold medal aside from the U.S.? And of those, which ones have the backcourt talent to take advantage of the American defensive weakness?

PostPosted: 09/21/18 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Which countries have a legitimate shot at a gold medal aside from the U.S.? And of those, which ones have the backcourt talent to take advantage of the American defensive weakness?

Its always about the teamplay from other teams. Not about their talent matching up with USA. In the past LJ and Penny teams were not as talented as team USA (Penny maybe wouldnt even made the USA team) but they played as a true team and everybody knew what role they had to play. Thats why they had a chance. Same for the mens team last time against the USA.

If team USA has a off shooting night and Cambage goes off while surrounded with shooters Sami whitcomb, O'Hea, Allen, Talbot who have a great shooting night then anything is possible.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
ClayK

PostPosted: 09/21/18 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Its always about the teamplay from other teams. Not about their talent matching up with USA. In the past LJ and Penny teams were not as talented as team USA (Penny maybe wouldnt even made the USA team) but they played as a true team and everybody knew what role they had to play. Thats why they had a chance. Same for the mens team last time against the USA.

If team USA has a off shooting night and Cambage goes off while surrounded with shooters Sami whitcomb, O'Hea, Allen, Talbot who have a great shooting night then anything is possible.

Good point ... so Australia is a threat. Anyone else?

PostPosted: 09/21/18 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Good point ... so Australia is a threat. Anyone else?

Yes I think they might be the team we have to beat...to lose we have to have a horrible shooting game and they have to have a great game .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 21 of 23

Jump to: