RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2019 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 72, 73, 74  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 09/16/18 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JDhly2eoLBE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-Vn-MxRkj0o" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 09/17/18 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice videos and Cooper looks like she's in great shape. However, Te'A makes it sound like she was some kind of star. This is a player who has one season to her credit, averaging 8.6 ppg, 2.1 apg, 1.9 rpg while shooting 37%/26%/72%. And then there's that little matter of getting thrown out of Tennessee for starting a fight. Right now, entering the 2019 Draft looks like a real long-shot.

PostPosted: 09/17/18 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m not promoting Cooper as a high pick or anything like that, not yet anyway. I’m just pointing out she’s eligible to declare early, so she might be worth keeping an eye on. Who knows, if she has a big season, maybe she’ll decide to get out and leave what has been (for her) the messy business of college sports.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/17/18 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cooper wan't on my radar at all. Those videos don't make it look like she should even consider declaring early.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 09/18/18 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the eligible-but-of-indeterminate-pro-value category, Rennia Davis may be eligible next spring. She entered Tenn with an associates degree already, and with a normal course load, could graduate in 2019. She'd benefit from another year or two of college play, but OTOH this draft looks pretty sparse at SF.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/18/18 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn’t bank too much on how many credits she has. How’d she do that at age 19.... advanced placement? I wouldn’t even put Davis on the radar for next year much less this year.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 09/18/18 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I wouldn’t bank too much on how many credits she has. How’d she do that at age 19.... advanced placement? I wouldn’t even put Davis on the radar for next year much less this year.

She got an associates degree from a community college while she was still in HS, so she had enough credits to be a junior when she enrolled at Tenn. She is apparently very bright. (And probably less troublesome than Cooper.)

Shades

PostPosted: 09/18/18 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Shades wrote:

She got an associates degree from a community college while she was still in HS, so she had enough credits to be a junior when she enrolled at Tenn. She is apparently very bright. (And probably less troublesome than Cooper.)

If she’s that smart, she can go for her masters. Why go through all that and whatever she missed out on as a teenager just to ultimately settle for a bachelor’s degree? I doubt her ambition for the early education was so she could enter the WNBA draft two years early.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/23/18 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ezi Magbegor learning from Liz Cambage at World Cup

https://highposthoops.com/2018/09/23/magbegor-cambage-world-cup-fiba-australia/

Quote:
19-year-old Ezi Magbegor is easing Cambage’s workload. The 6-foot-4 Magbegor scored 16 points and grabbed eight rebounds per game in last year’s Under-19 World Cup in Italy and is scoring in double figures in Tenerife, her first senior competition.

Quote:
“It’s exciting to see young talent coming up, she’s going to be great,” Cambage added about Magbegor. “Going into the draft next year, I am really excited to see her grow and develop.”

Magbegor, who is considered a potential lottery pick, is in a draft class of centers that includes Kalani Brown of Baylor and Teaira McCowan of Mississippi State, each 6-foot-7.

Quote:
“She’s doing well,” Australia coach Sandy Brondello said. “She’s still learning the game a lot, it’s all new to her basically. She has good energy and athleticism. She finishes well and she rebounds well, and she’s going to get better gaining experience playing at this level. The sky is the limit for her. I like what she does and plays to her strengths.”

toad455

PostPosted: 09/24/18 4:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I doubt she's a lottery pick, but she won't fall past Brondello at #8.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 09/24/18 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How's this for a dual-trade idea:

New York gets: #1 (McCowan or Brown) & Chiney Ogwumike or Alyssa Thomas
Connecticut gets: #2 (Samuelson)
Las Vegas gets: Tina Charles

New York revamps their post game and moves up one spot at the cost of unloading a disgruntled superstar.

Connecticut evens out it's balance issues and gets themselves a potential "hometown" superstar at their weakest position.

Vegas goes from being Championship contenders in 2-3 years to looking like they could get there now. Charles is still young and talented enough to make trading the #1 pick worth it.

I know it'll never happen, but it would help all 3 teams in the long run, IMO.

PRballer

PostPosted: 09/25/18 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is shaping up to be fascinating. Where do you draft the young Chinese centers at this point? Han Xu has loads of potential at 6’9 and Li Yueru has to be considered as well...

stever

PostPosted: 09/25/18 1:10 pm    ::: China ace Xu eyeing up future WNBA Draft Reply Reply with quote

http://www.fiba.basketball/womensbasketballworldcup/2018/news/china-ace-xu-eyeing-up-future-wnba-draft

Shades

PostPosted: 09/25/18 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer

PostPosted: 09/25/18 9:53 pm    ::: Re: China ace Xu eyeing up future WNBA Draft Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
http://www.fiba.basketball/womensbasketballworldcup/2018/news/china-ace-xu-eyeing-up-future-wnba-draft

Thank you 😊

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/01/18 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Han Xu and Li Yueru improved draft status with World Cup play
A pair of Chinese centers are on many WNBA draft wishlists.
By Scott Mammoser (High Post Hoops)

https://highposthoops.com/2018/10/01/han-xu-li-yueru-improved-wnba-draft-status-fiba-world-cup-basketball/

Han Xu scored 20 points against the U.S. and looked pretty fluid in doing so.

In the five games at the WWC after playing the U.S., Han Xu had a total of 30 points and shot 10-31 from the floor in doing so.

She is turning 19 years old this year, so it will be interesting to see how she develops.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/01/18 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, Han went pretty cold after that performance against the US, but generally speaking you just don't see that combination of size and touch very often. She's obviously rail-thin, which would present issues in the W - especially early on, if she showed up immediately - but man the potential is enticing.

Li is probably worth a punt somewhere in the draft as well, but she's a type of player we see much more often - much more of an interior banger who'll probably get most of her production on hustle plays. But she's still pretty useful for 19. Gotta remember these kids are freshmen/sophomores in college at the most if they're American. Han's probably barely out of high school.

PostPosted: 10/01/18 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Yeah, Han went pretty cold after that performance against the US, but generally speaking you just don't see that combination of size and touch very often. She's obviously rail-thin, which would present issues in the W - especially early on, if she showed up immediately - but man the potential is enticing.

Li is probably worth a punt somewhere in the draft as well, but she's a type of player we see much more often - much more of an interior banger who'll probably get most of her production on hustle plays. But she's still pretty useful for 19. Gotta remember these kids are freshmen/sophomores in college at the most if they're American. Han's probably barely out of high school.

I think they both could use some more time developing core strength, though they would be good to draft and stash for a few years.

That being said, I was very impressed with Ezi Magbegor. who turned 19 in August. She knew how to finish putbacks, she showed some open court abilities, she knew how to slide in and finish while avoiding contact ... and did so with good leaping abilities.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/01/18 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

That being said, I was very impressed with Ezi Magbegor. who turned 19 in August. She knew how to finish putbacks, she showed some open court abilities, she knew how to slide in and finish while avoiding contact ... and did so with good leaping abilities.

Yeah, she's got all the athleticism and mobility that you could ask for. There was a play early in the week where she ran down the court and someone like Whitcomb passed to her on the move. The pass was a little off-target but she managed to contort herself to both catch it and twist around to make the finiah at the rim virtually in the same motion. The person I was with and I just turned to each other and basically shook our heads. Not many people, especially 19 year olds, can make that play.

The problem is, y'know, almost everything else. I'm not sure she's really got any moves, and I'm pretty sure she can't shoot. 'Jonquel Jones without the offense' was one description I heard, which might be a little harsh. But again, there's loads of potential there. No way she gets past #13, but Sandy might well feel she needs to take her at #8 if she wants to make sure she gets her.

PostPosted: 10/01/18 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Sandy, who knows Ezi best, will draft her at #8.

root_thing

PostPosted: 10/01/18 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Depending on how much they develop, Han and Li could indirectly affect the top of the draft. Right now, there is no consensus about how the top players should be ranked although there is some agreement on who comprises that group. If this situation remains unclear, a team like NY might be more comfortable passing on McCowan or Brown knowing that Han and Li are likely available at #14. That may also be true for Chicago (#4 and #15), although less probable based on need and lower positioning.

Magbegor is a different type of player. She's more like the athletic PFs who are dominating the league right now. Ezi looked pretty good whenever I saw her -- smooth with very little visible signs of nerves. I didn't see her do anything really dumb, but then again Magbegor mostly played conservative basketball. I suppose that isn't a bad thing. It's just that for scouting purposes you'd like to see more activity. I don't know what it says that Brondello chose to limit her PT. Magbegor didn't even get off the bench against Spain even though she's much better than Bunton from what I saw. Was Brondello protecting her, hiding her or did Sandy just not trust the 19-year-old?

PostPosted: 10/01/18 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would hope Brondello would be happy for Magbegor if she went higher than #8 in the draft. I don’t think she’s hiding her. If you want to hide a player from WNBA GM’s, you don’t come out with articles quoting you as saying she’ll be the future of the Opals.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/01/18 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Yeah, she's got all the athleticism and mobility that you could ask for. There was a play early in the week where she ran down the court and someone like Whitcomb passed to her on the move. The pass was a little off-target but she managed to contort herself to both catch it and twist around to make the finiah at the rim virtually in the same motion. The person I was with and I just turned to each other and basically shook our heads. Not many people, especially 19 year olds, can make that play.

The problem is, y'know, almost everything else. I'm not sure she's really got any moves, and I'm pretty sure she can't shoot. 'Jonquel Jones without the offense' was one description I heard, which might be a little harsh. But again, there's loads of potential there. No way she gets past #13, but Sandy might well feel she needs to take her at #8 if she wants to make sure she gets her.

Fair points, all of them.

But was impressive was Magbegor's ability to contribute without any go-to moves or countermoves. She knew what her role was and how to maximize her time on the floor.

In 12.3 minutes in her five games played, she averaged 7.6 ppg and 3.8 rpg. She took 22 shots and made 18 of them (over 81 percent).

Despite not having go-to scoring moves, she took what she did well and found a way to marry it to what Australia needed from her. And she did so at 19 years old in her first senior competition.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 10/01/18 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She played with Cambage the player who gets the most attention from any other team in the world, leaving a lot of open lanes for wide open lay ups. I love the stereotypical verbiage on how athletic to catch a pass for a wide open lay up LMAO

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/01/18 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes but if Magbegor went #8 to PX she would be playing with DT, Griner and Bonner. All she would have to do is rebound and defend the PF and take advatage of her opportunities on offense while the others are being doubled team. It is a great situation for her to both contribute right away and develop without being under a lot of pressure playing for the WNBA coach who knows her game the best. Unless she goes earlier PX should just grab her at #8 and team her with Griner for the next 5 years.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 12 of 74

Jump to: