RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

First Franchise to win its first Championship
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Franchise will be first to win a WNBA Championship?
Dream
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
Sky
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Sun
11%
 11%  [ 6 ]
Aces
51%
 51%  [ 28 ]
Mystics
24%
 24%  [ 13 ]
Liberty
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 54

calbearman76

PostPosted: 09/15/18 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The question certainly brings up several issues. If I looked at who had the best chance in 2019, I would take Connecticut followed by Washington and Atlanta. The Sun have all the bodies, but they need J Jones to be more consistent and they have to improve their team chemistry. All of this is possible. Washington needs Meessemen, but even with her they are still weak inside. Atlanta needs Williams to continue her improvement. And of course any team will need to stay healthy.

But I don't believe that any of these teams will win (I'd put Seattle, Phoenix and Dallas (w/ Cambage) ahead of them right now.) Looking further downstream you have to look at a young superstar and the quality of front office personnel. That completely rules out the Sky and Liberty and leaves the Aces, A'ja Wilson and the potential of a #1 pick for a center creates a solid inside game. McBride and Plum should be a solid backcourt, particularly if teams feel they have to cheat their defenses to protect the inside. The SF is still a need, but with sufficient scoring I believe their are several options that could fit. And with Bill Laimbeer running the show they have the right person to bring it all together. I doubt it will happen before 2021 or 2022, but if their #1 pick pans out this season the Aces look like the best shot.

Cooper2009

PostPosted: 09/16/18 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aces. Superstar Wilson w/ a productive center. Plum maturing and McBride being really really good as consistently as she has been from the beginning. I think they’re up next. Just need to figure out that SF position and draft the right center.

I still say shoot for Thornton somehow.

PostPosted: 09/17/18 6:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel bad for Liberty fans...

Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/17/18 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
I feel bad for Liberty fans...

Sometimes luck isnt enough. They were lucky and got Cappie when she wanted out of Phoenix and Tina Charles when she wanted to get away from the Sun.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 09/24/18 1:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There would be other things involved here but the core of this dual trade could benefit all three teams greatly.

Connecticut gets: #2
Las Vegas gets: Tina Charles
New York gets: #1 & Chiney Ogwumike

Connecticut solves its balance issues, gets a hometown superstar in Samuelson in the starting lineup, and being as young as they are, set themselves up for Championship runs within the next 5 years.

Vegas gets better immediately with Charles, and potentially Championship level within 2 years.

New York sets itself up for championship runs 4-8 years down the road. A healthy Chiney + McCowan or Brown make up a pretty damn good interior and Nurse is a very promising wing. I think this team would finish last in 2019, but that could be a huge boon to them in the long run as I for some reason have always thought Ionescu would end up in New York.

And, addressing the conversation about her:

NCAA Career Triple Doubles record holder.

As a Sophomore.

Randy

PostPosted: 09/24/18 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BTW - the poll is closed now. Looks like LV is the clear favorite to be the first franchise to win its' first ship. I guess the next question is - how long will they have to wait?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/24/18 8:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not convinced Wilson/Charles would be a great fit. They're both basically 4s who like to fill similar spaces on the floor. But I can see where you're going with the framework there.

PostPosted: 09/24/18 8:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
BTW - the poll is closed now. Looks like LV is the clear favorite to be the first franchise to win its' first ship. I guess the next question is - how long will they have to wait?

Possibly as soon as 2020. They'll still be a young team next season, but who knows how far they'll go. Curious if some FAs like Zellous, Prince or Vandersloot would go there to try and win a ring

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 10/01/19 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Sun haven't proven they can win a playoff game let alone a series and they lack a superstar.

I think I found where ESPN got their “role players” talking points.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 10/02/19 7:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing I'm sure ESPN looks to me for talking points.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/02/19 8:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, hold on: are we anointing Jonquel Jones a superstar, based off of one great game? Because, if not, what are we doing here? I mean, I know that "dunking" on ESPN is everybody's favorite pastime, but come on, now.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: