Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 09/10/18 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I miss the Jayco Opals.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/10/18 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chemist Warehouse is kinda like a Walgreens or CVS, but without the snacks & beverages and extended opening hours, and much more claustrophobic.

Richyyy wrote:
Luuuc, I'm not totally familiar with all the players on your roster, who's the other point guard(s)? Are they going to expect Whitcomb to run the offense? She's a nice fit as a gunner around Cambage, but I'm not sure I'd want her as the primary distributor unless the other options are terrible.

And Kelsey Griffin has got to be a little sick that Mitchell gets hurt and she's still not in as the naturalised player (although last I heard her health was doubtful as well).

Yeah I get the feeling that she's not entirely healthy either. We broke her by loading her up with way too many minutes in a recent tournament in China Mad

Lauren Mansfield is a real pass-first point guard, and then we've got Katie Rae Ebzery, who has been converting into a PG over the last couple of seasons though I'm still not convinced of her proficiency there if an opponent really wants to put the pressure on, but I'm pretty sure that Brondello would have had at least some of her minutes being at PG when she selected her.
In a pinch Tess Madgen can handle the ball too, though between a move to Europe and a major injury I haven't actually seen her in action since that brief stint with the Mercury. I was quite surprised to see her in the final 12.

It's a very patchy Opals team. Will be interesting to see if they can gel.

PostPosted: 09/10/18 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Chemist Warehouse is kinda like a Walgreens or CVS, but without the snacks & beverages and extended opening hours, and much more claustrophobic.

Richyyy wrote:
Luuuc, I'm not totally familiar with all the players on your roster, who's the other point guard(s)? Are they going to expect Whitcomb to run the offense? She's a nice fit as a gunner around Cambage, but I'm not sure I'd want her as the primary distributor unless the other options are terrible.

And Kelsey Griffin has got to be a little sick that Mitchell gets hurt and she's still not in as the naturalised player (although last I heard her health was doubtful as well).

Yeah I get the feeling that she's not entirely healthy either. We broke her by loading her up with way too many minutes in a recent tournament in China Mad

Lauren Mansfield is a real pass-first point guard, and then we've got Katie Rae Ebzery, who has been converting into a PG over the last couple of seasons though I'm still not convinced of her proficiency there if an opponent really wants to put the pressure on, but I'm pretty sure that Brondello would have had at least some of her minutes being at PG when she selected her.
In a pinch Tess Madgen can handle the ball too, though between a move to Europe and a major injury I haven't actually seen her in action since that brief stint with the Mercury. I was quite surprised to see her in the final 12.

It's a very patchy Opals team. Will be interesting to see if they can gel.

They may be patchy, but the Opals have a ridiculously good (easy) draw to the medal rounds. If they don’t medal with that path Brondello shouldn’t even get a shot at the Olympics.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/10/18 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do we know what FLB's injury is?

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 09/16/18 6:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lacey replaces injured Mansfield
http://australia.basketball/injury-forces-change-to-chemist-warehouse-australian-opals-fiba-world-cup-team/

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 09/16/18 7:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I stumbled across an archive of AUS’s warmup game against China yesterday.
http://www.canalfeb.tv/video/china-vs-australia/19415

With only 9 players hitting the court, they defeat China 84-54.
Allen 24pts, 3rebs
Cambage 16pts, 3rebs
George 7pts, 6rebs, 7asts
Ebzery 2pts, 8asts
Talbot 5pts, 4rebs

Draft prospects
Alaina Smith 10 pts, 7 reb
Magbegor 8 pts, 5 reb

http://baloncestoenvivo.feb.es/Game/201809151

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 09/16/18 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Opals looking sad at the PG spot.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
root_thing

PostPosted: 09/16/18 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Close game in the first half with China actually leading for much of the 2nd Qtr. Very ugly TO filled game. I don't think Cambage played at all in the 2nd Half. Didn't see much of George either. The smaller line-up seemed to score off the TOs better while also getting back on defense better against their own mistakes. Allen shot the ball like the Bec of 2016. I thought Magden looked pretty good in the 1st Half, but she got hit in the face and had to wear a big bandage the rest of the game. Jenna O'Hea did not play and didn't seem like she expected to. Magbegor was athletic and smooth, but not very assertive. Smith was active and fairly agile, though not as smooth as Ezi.

As for China, let's start with the fact that players were wearing the wrong uniforms. Confused There was a player who towered above all others in the huddle and she had Xu Han's face. Unfortunately, her uniform said "Sun M.R." Meanwhile, there was a player who looked like Sun who wore a uniform that said "Xu Han". Similarly, it looked like Li Yueru and Lui Jiacen switched uniforms. Given that 6-9 Xu Han and 6-7 Li Yueru are supposed to be WNBA draft prospects (Dan Hughes was quoted in April as saying Li will be drafted) it sure makes things tough when you try to evaluate them. And how reliable is the box score? Well, it looks to me like they correctly adjusted #13 to Xu Han, so that her 16 points and 6 rebounds are accurate. However, #12 was Li Yueru, not Sun who was wearing #15. So I think Li had 0 pts, 2 rebs, and 3 assists. With communist countries, you always wonder about intentional subterfuge, but probably this was just a fuck-up by the seamstress. Smile

PostPosted: 09/16/18 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Opals currently playing Spain in the final of that 4 nations tournament
http://baloncestoenvivo.feb.es/Game/201609162
(live score only)

Looks like Liz is sitting this one out (along with a few others)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: