RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Magazine previews
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 09/06/18 3:47 pm    ::: Magazine previews Reply Reply with quote

Athlon

1 Notre Dame
2 Connecticut
3 Baylor
4 Oregon
5 Tennessee
6 Louisville
7 Oregon State
8 Stanford
9 Georgia
10 Marquette
11 NC State
12 Iowa
13 Texas
14 Mississippi State
15 Syracuse
16 South Carolina
17 Maryland
18 DePaul
19 Arizona State
20 Minnesota
21 Missouri
22 Miami (FL)
23 California
24 Nebraska
25 Texas A&M

AA
1st
Brown
Collier
Ogunbowale
Samuelson
Turner

2nd
Cox
Durr
Gustafson
Ionescu
McCowan

PostPosted: 09/07/18 7:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was all ready to get mad about Marquette not being on the list and then I saw them at #10 Smile. I find that to be way too high. They do have a talented senior class but this group took a step back as juniors from what they'd done as sophomores. Hopefully they can do great things as seniors. Marquette has never made the Sweet 16 - I feel like if they don't do that this year they may never do it.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/07/18 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What the hell is Tennessee doing anywhere near Top 5 Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 09/07/18 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have always backed the Pac-12 and believe that the conference is generally underrated, but I can't see three teams in the top 8. Five in the top 25 seems right. I hope that Cal can live up to this ranking.

ucbart

PostPosted: 09/08/18 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
I was all ready to get mad about Marquette not being on the list and then I saw them at #10 Smile. I find that to be way too high. They do have a talented senior class but this group took a step back as juniors from what they'd done as sophomores. Hopefully they can do great things as seniors. Marquette has never made the Sweet 16 - I feel like if they don't do that this year they may never do it.

I root for Marquette for two reasons.

1. You
2. Loyalty to the Real Big East

I hope they have a great season.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 09/08/18 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

1. You

Thanks. I'm excited and nervous for the upcoming season. They seem to do better when not as much is as expected of them so the high expectations make me nervous Smile.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 09/08/18 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ionescu 2nd team All American? She my pick for preseason POY.
myrtle

PostPosted: 09/09/18 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
I have always backed the Pac-12 and believe that the conference is generally underrated, but I can't see three teams in the top 8. Five in the top 25 seems right. I hope that Cal can live up to this ranking.

me too. On all statements.

- Amanda Gorman
ucbart

PostPosted: 09/10/18 6:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:

I thought the same thing. She certainly is the media darling for POY this season. I thought her or whichever of Lou/Pheesa had the best season for UCONN would be POY. Those two are going to have to score A LOT this year.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/10/18 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
What the hell is Tennessee doing anywhere near Top 5 Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

expectations based on recruiting?

- Amanda Gorman
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 09/10/18 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree Calbear, what were they drinking. I'd rather be put in a position to show we deserve not get laughed at.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 09/11/18 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:

Must be the Recee' Caldwell effect. Leads to exaggerated ranking.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 09/12/18 2:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

1. You

I'm rather partial towards Marquette because of ND's long history with them. They and DePaul have played ND for a long time in Basketball and there's a strong bond there (obviously longer for the Men's program... Wink ).

Plus it helps to have a few strong teams close to ND geographically. Always nice for the team to only need a bus ride for a good non-conference opponent.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/13/18 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Street & Smith

1 Notre Dame
2 Oregon
3 Connecticut
4 Baylor
5 Louisville
6 Mississippi State
7 South Carolina
8 Iowa
9 Maryland
10 Oregon State
11 Stanford
12 Texas A&M
13 Georgia
14 Texas
15 Missouri
16 DePaul
17 NC State
18 Central Michigan
19 Duke
20 California

AA
Brown
Carter
Collier
Durr
Gustafson
Ionescu
McCowan
Ogunbowale
Samuelson
Turner

PostPosted: 09/16/18 12:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting differences between Athlon and Street & Smith's. Athlon has both Tennessee (#5) and Marquette (#10) but neither makes S&S top 20. Mississippi St and South Carolina are both top 10 in S&S.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 09/17/18 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah that is a big discrepancy.

Will be interesting how the committee will view Oregons weak schedule as they should be penalized like Maryland etc.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 09/18/18 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Yeah that is a big discrepancy.

Will be interesting how the committee will view Oregons weak schedule as they should be penalized like Maryland etc.

The Oregon schedule includes 2 top 15 teams (per Athlon) in Mississippi St and Syracuse as well as a road swing at Michigan St and South Dakota St. I don't see any reason to penalize them unless they lose some of those games.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 09/18/18 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Woohoo, are you kidding me, this is supposed to be a top 4 team and look at the rest of their games, my sides are hurting laughing at some of these games for a top 4 team.

Which BTW is a real shame as they didn't learn the Mike Neighbors rule for playing a group of teams around the mid point Laughing

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/19/18 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Woohoo, are you kidding me, this is supposed to be a top 4 team and look at the rest of their games, my sides are hurting laughing at some of these games for a top 4 team.

Which BTW is a real shame as they didn't learn the Mike Neighbors rule for playing a group of teams around the mid point Laughing

Then again, my understanding is Oregon has only seven healthy players on its roster. If true, then saving those seven for what looks to be a very competitive Pac-12 season, and the postseason, makes some sense. After all, no one looks back after the tournament and talks about the preseason schedule. All that matters is how you finish ...

PostPosted: 09/19/18 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On the South Dakota State fan board, there is a person that is taking credit for lining up the SDSU / Oregon game. This is based on a tweet from the Oregon coach back in April looking for additional games...

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/20/18 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The REAl cupcakes for Oregon are airforce (like playing a DIII team), Utah State and a bunch of the California schools. There are a few teams that at least do well in their leagues, like St. Mary's and Buffalo. Syracuse could bring a surprise or two as well. But overall, yeah it's on the exceptionally weak side.

For that matter Stanford's schedule is only marginally better. Usually they get a good team at the Rainbow thing in Hawaii but not this year, so all they have is OhSU, Baylor, and Tennessee. Of course those three are quite a step up from Oregon's MissSt, MichSt, and Syracuse. And the bottom end of Stanford's schedule is also a step up.

The bottom line is that you need to beat all those 'weaker' teams. i.e. Stanford losing to Western Illinois last year. And if you really want to be a top team, you beat the good one's too. Stanford will almost certainly lose to Baylor and could easily lose to Tennessee. Oregon can't afford any loses with that schedule...including MissSt.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 09/20/18 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And actually there's no need to single out Oregon's schedule.
Take a look at Miss St. for example. Other than Texas and Oregon, they play just as bad a schedule as Oregon.

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 09/20/18 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:

I thought the same thing. She certainly is the media darling for POY this season. I thought her or whichever of Lou/Pheesa had the best season for UCONN would be POY. Those two are going to have to score A LOT this year.

What about Ogunbowale? I'd pick her much sooner than any UConn player atm. After her (probably never happen again kinda) FF performance, she certainly oughtta be a media darling. And--caliber of player that she is--I'd certainly bet on a repeat kind of season for her. Cool

PostPosted: 09/21/18 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For her Rolling Eyes if ND don't repeat they will be the most underachieving team ever with all those AAs Laughing Laughing

CBiebel

PostPosted: 09/23/18 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
. After all, no one looks back after the tournament and talks about the preseason schedule. All that matters is how you finish ...

The flip side of that is that if you don't play many tough teams during the season, you might not do as well in the Tournament because you aren't used to the competition.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: