RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

First Franchise to win its first Championship
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Franchise will be first to win a WNBA Championship?
Dream
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
Sky
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Sun
11%
 11%  [ 6 ]
Aces
51%
 51%  [ 28 ]
Mystics
24%
 24%  [ 13 ]
Liberty
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 54

Randy

PostPosted: 09/15/18 7:50 am    ::: First Franchise to win its first Championship Reply Reply with quote

We have a thread concerning the first to win 5. What franchise of the never champs will be the first to win one.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 09/15/18 8:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoping it's the Mystics, scared that it's going to be Vegas...

toad455

PostPosted: 09/15/18 8:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In there current rosters while looking ahead to 2019, I'd have:

1. Mystics
2. Sun
3. Dream
4. Aces
5. Sky
6. Liberty Crying or Very sad

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 09/15/18 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was going to put in none of the above, either forgot or did it wrong because it may be a very long time before it happens. The Storm look good now and maybe for a long while. Mercury and Sparks look like contenders for at least a few more years. So there are 3 contenders that have all won the Finals with a window open for a 2 years or more. (Maybe even the Lynx if they can turn things around quickly and 2019 is an odd number year.)

I think the Dream window is about 2 years - same as the ones listed above. Mystics probably have the best chance in the short term and a wider window. It could be the Aces depending on who they get in the draft and how good she turns out to be but I think it would take some time. Timing might be best for the Aces because it usually takes 2-3 years for young players to learn how win and gain playoff experience. So they could hit their peak just as the current contenders are getting too old.

Sun haven't proven they can win a playoff game let alone a series and they lack a superstar. Liberty are in complete rebuild mode and their player is on the wrong side of 30. The Sky are a perennial lottery team it seems and seems like star players prefer to leave the Sky rather than join them.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/15/18 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Mystics adding back Meesseman & a #10 pick will be deeper. The Sun have a lot of depth, too. Let's see where some FAs land come February.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 09/15/18 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

I think the Dream window is about 2 years - same as the ones listed above.

Is that your McCoughtry window?

Randy wrote:
Mystics probably have the best chance in the short term and a wider window.

Delle Donne has gotten hurt or sick ever year except her MVP year. Is she due for a MVP year or a bad year? It’s kind of a wild card.

Why is their window wider? Because of Atkins? She’s only about a year older than last year’s Aktins, Sykes.

Thibault probably only has a few more years in him. If he goes 20 years without winning a championship, it might be time to call it.

Randy wrote:
It could be the Aces depending on who they get in the draft and how good she turns out to be but I think it would take some time.

What if Laimbeer gets Maya? Reeve in her infinite wisdom thought it was a good idea to pronounce none of her players untouchable. As a result, her phone is going to be ringing off the hook, and somebody is bound to tempt her into making what could be her next big mistake. She loves to gamble as you saw last season. She probably goes to sleep every night dreaming about Ionescu being her next PG. Laimbeer represents the best chance to realize those dreams. First pick in 2019 plus first round in 2020, plus a little something else would cover a lot of bases.

Randy wrote:
Sun haven't proven they can win a playoff game let alone a series and they lack a superstar.

OUCH! I guess Chiney, Thomas, and Jones aren’t considered stars until they win one, just like the Lynx. They have plenty of pieces, more than enough. They seem to lack that whatever it takes to make them mesh.

Randy wrote:
Liberty are in complete rebuild mode and their player is on the wrong side of 30.

Why are they in complete rebuild mode? Who did they lose from their prior successful season, Nayo? They started the season hurt, ended the season hurt. It’s probably not much more than that. They could be the rebound team of the year, unless Katie Smith really is that bad of a coach.

Randy wrote:
The Sky are a perennial lottery team

What more needs to be said?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Aladyyn

PostPosted: 09/15/18 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sykes shot her team out of the playoffs in her rookie year, Atkins kept her team alive in the playoffs in her rookie year. The comparison is almost insulting, Shades.

And no, JJ, Chiney, and AT aren't superstars. Neither of these is as good as Nneka and not even Nneka is good enough to be a #1 on a title team.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/15/18 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With 3 No. 1 picks on their roster starting next year, it is Vegas is almost certain to win one soon.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/15/18 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
Sykes shot her team out of the playoffs in her rookie year, Atkins kept her team alive in the playoffs in her rookie year. The comparison is almost insulting, Shades.

Eerily similar in that they were both #7 picks, neither were draft invites, and both did way better than expected. One should have been declared the ROY, while the other didn’t come close. So sorry, Sykes, for the comparison. As far as playoffs, Sykes didn’t have a ton of help last year.

Aladyyn wrote:
And no, JJ, Chiney, and AT aren't superstars. Neither of these is as good as Nneka and not even Nneka is good enough to be a #1 on a title team.

Very subjective opinion. Connecticut has more than enough talent to get it done.... as far as players go.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 09/15/18 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

Eerily similar in that they were both #7 picks, neither were draft invites, and both did way better than expected. One should have been declared the ROY, while the other didn’t come close. So sorry, Sykes, for the comparison. As far as playoffs, Sykes didn’t have a ton of help last year.

Aladyyn wrote:

Very subjective opinion. Connecticut has more than enough talent to get it done.... as far as players go.

Connecticut's crunch time scorer is Courtney Williams. They don't have enough to get it done unless she makes big strides.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 09/15/18 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

And if the 2017 WNBA Draft had an A'ja Wilson in it, Sykes wouldn't have (barring voter insanity) gotten any ROY votes either.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/15/18 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Williams and Jasmine weren’t even mentioned as part of the collective. Both better than average in their positions. PLENTY of talent on this team. Do they need a better bench? I suppose that couldn’t hurt.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/15/18 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:

And if the 2017 WNBA Draft had an A'ja Wilson in it, Sykes wouldn't have (barring voter insanity) gotten any ROY votes either.

It did have Plum, and now Plum is everybody’s favorite pudding.
Who would you rather have on your team, Sykes or Plum?

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 09/15/18 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:

I'm not sure, maybe Plum, but that doesn't mean I'm trading Maya Moore for either of them Smile

Shades

PostPosted: 09/15/18 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another thing about Connecticut.... at this point they have a chance to have two gold medal winners on their team, and these players come off their bench. What a luxury to have players like this coming off your bench. Year after year I would hear how important it is to have gold medalists on the team in order to win championships. Well, now Connecticut might have two.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 09/15/18 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:

Ugh Plum would be such a good fit in Washington.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 09/15/18 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:

Plum wasn't close to being named the ROY for her season either. The Sun's problem to me seems to be chemistry on and off the court, and they need to avoid playing Phoenix in the playoffs.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/15/18 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Charles wants out and ended up in Washington, Vegas or Atlanta that would be a curve ball.

Of course if she ended up in Minnesota or Phoenix that could add to the haves instead of the nots

Still hope she stay in NY and abither super star joins her.

bballgrl

PostPosted: 09/15/18 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I was going to put in none of the above, either forgot or did it wrong because it may be a very long time before it happens. The Storm look good now and maybe for a long while. Mercury and Sparks look like contenders for at least a few more years. So there are 3 contenders that have all won the Finals with a window open for a 2 years or more. (Maybe even the Lynx if they can turn things around quickly and 2019 is an odd number year.)

I think the Dream window is about 2 years - same as the ones listed above. Mystics probably have the best chance in the short term and a wider window. It could be the Aces depending on who they get in the draft and how good she turns out to be but I think it would take some time. Timing might be best for the Aces because it usually takes 2-3 years for young players to learn how win and gain playoff experience. So they could hit their peak just as the current contenders are getting too old.

Sun haven't proven they can win a playoff game let alone a series and they lack a superstar. Liberty are in complete rebuild mode and their player is on the wrong side of 30. The Sky are a perennial lottery team it seems and seems like star players prefer to leave the Sky rather than join them.

I don't think the Aces have to wait 2 to 3 years before making the playoffs and maybe getting a Ship. A'ja and Plum already play well together and McBride is good as well. In fact the whole team is good.

Randy

PostPosted: 09/15/18 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I will only answer Shades first question because the rest are unrelated, "I don't care", or just hating on Sykes. I know Mystics fans think Atkins is the next Catching so how can anyone be compared to her. Rolling Eyes

2 years is not only Angel's window it is also the fact that Hayes, Breland and Montgomery are over 30 as well. It might be stretched to 3 years. I certainly wouldn't mind being wrong, but we have seen what happens to teams (e.g. the Lynx and Fever) when their core players all start approaching Medicare age.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 09/15/18 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
but we have seen what happens to teams (e.g. the Lynx and Fever) when their core players all start approaching Medicare age.

You forgot that the main reason for the demise of the Fever and potential demise of the Lynx is that both teams put #TheCurse on their teams. At least you won't have to worry about that with the Dream, unless there's some other curse out there. Smile

Davis4632

PostPosted: 09/15/18 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I will only answer Shades first question because the rest are unrelated, "I don't care", or just hating on Sykes. I know Mystics fans think Atkins is the next Catching so how can anyone be compared to her. Rolling Eyes

2 years is not only Angel's window it is also the fact that Hayes, Breland and Montgomery are over 30 as well. It might be stretched to 3 years. I certainly wouldn't mind being wrong, but we have seen what happens to teams (e.g. the Lynx and Fever) when their core players all start approaching Medicare age.

Hayes is 28 though(will be 29 in 5 days), and the rest of them are at least 30 (Breland) and over 30 ( Angel is 32, Renee will 32 in December). I agree with you about the Dream's window being at 2-3 years at the most.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/15/18 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
Randy wrote:

I don't think the Aces have to wait 2 to 3 years before making the playoffs and maybe getting a Ship. A'ja and Plum already play well together and McBride is good as well. In fact the whole team is good.

they need a true big, big...which they have every chance of getting this year. An upgrade at SF wouldn't hurt either.

Randy

PostPosted: 09/15/18 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Randy wrote:
but we have seen what happens to teams (e.g. the Lynx and Fever) when their core players all start approaching Medicare age.

You forgot that the main reason for the demise of the Fever and potential demise of the Lynx is that both teams put #TheCurse on their teams. At least you won't have to worry about that with the Dream, unless there's some other curse out there. Smile

There is the Atlanta playoff curse. Atlanta teams are cursed to always lose in playoffs. I'm not sure how the curse was started, but it's held true for 40+ years of the Hawks, 11 years for the Dream, idk - 50 years for the Falcons, 10-20 years of the various NHL teams we had and all but one season for the Braves out 50 or so years.

threadkiller1201

PostPosted: 09/15/18 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aces

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: