RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Atlanta Dream 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 09/14/18 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
I don't question Dantas' potential, when healthy, but Atlanta doesn't really need one of those. At this stage of her career, she should not be ahead of Billings in the rotation, and I would even hesitate to put her ahead of McGee-Stafford, despite the fact that she is still currently better. That makes her the fifth big, which would arguably make her overpaid, even at the qualifying offer.

Depends on who else they might be able to get in place of her. Billings seems to have surpassed her, but sometimes rookies show up better than they should because there is not much on the scouting report and teams eventually figure them out. I also think now IMS better or at least as good. But, even if they don't want her, they might be able to use her in trade. They shouldn't just let her go for nothing if they can help it. There are a few teams out there that need a PF. If they overpay for her, I wouldn't match.

lethalweapon3

PostPosted: 09/14/18 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Feedback welcomed!

https://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/426749-2018-atlanta-dream-and-wnba-previews/?do=findComment&comment=951526

Quote:
California Dreamin’? How about, San Francisco Treat?

The luster from the 2018 season has hardly waned for the Atlanta Dream. Best regular season in its history, its greatest-ever league-wide finish, a Coach of the Year guiding All-WNBA and All-Star efforts on the court, and one complete half of basketball shy of a trip to the WNBA Finals, even without their All-Star available for the playoff series.

That’s all well above even the rosiest prognostications from just two months ago. Yet, there remain bigger-picture issues beyond the hardwood on the horizon, for this franchise and the league in which they play...

Last edited by lethalweapon3 on 09/14/18 4:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 09/14/18 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So now I am craving apple pie ice cream YUM.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/14/18 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lethalweapon3 wrote:
Feedback welcomed!

https://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/426749-2018-atlanta-dream-and-wnba-previews/?page=10#comment-951460

Quote:

The luster from the 2018 season has hardly waned for the Atlanta Dream. Best regular season in its history, its greatest-ever league-wide finish, a Coach of the Year guiding All-WNBA and All-Star efforts on the court, and one complete half of basketball shy of a trip to the WNBA Finals, even without their All-Star available for the playoff series.

That’s all well above even the rosiest prognostications from just two months ago. Yet, there remain bigger-picture issues beyond the hardwood on the horizon, for this franchise and the league in which they play...

Very nicely done ... excellent article.

PostPosted: 09/14/18 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
lethalweapon3 wrote:
Feedback welcomed!

https://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/426749-2018-atlanta-dream-and-wnba-previews/?page=10#comment-951460

Quote:

Very good article. I do hope they are able to find a location that is easy to get to. You'd THINK that Tech fit that, but no. You can either fight for what seems like a handful of close spaces, park almost in Decatur, or walk 10-15 minutes from the MARTA station while walking across an interstate onramp just to get there.

I've never done MARTA to Philips/State Farm Arena, always drove and parked and the parking decks were fine.

G League location may not be bad as long as it's right on the MARTA line.

They need to see who is coming/will come and make sure it is convenient for them to get there, especially during the week.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/14/18 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Depends on who else they might be able to get in place of her. Billings seems to have surpassed her, but sometimes rookies show up better than they should because there is not much on the scouting report and teams eventually figure them out.

I wouldn't even necessarily say that Billings has surpassed Dantas yet, as such. However, comma:
  1. Billings' skill set seems to mostly fit Collen's coaching style moreso than Dantas.
  2. What Dantas is better than Billings at is stuff that Billings can learn. I don't think that the reverse is true.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
BamaEd

PostPosted: 09/14/18 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Randy wrote:
Depends on who else they might be able to get in place of her. Billings seems to have surpassed her, but sometimes rookies show up better than they should because there is not much on the scouting report and teams eventually figure them out.

I wouldn't even necessarily say that Billings has surpassed Dantas yet, as such. However, comma:
  1. Billings' skill set seems to mostly fit Collen's coaching style moreso than Dantas.
  2. What Dantas is better than Billings at is stuff that Billings can learn. I don't think that the reverse is true.

Before her injury, Dantas was frustrating me. She seems to spend too much time away from the basket. I prefer my low post to spend more time around the basket than floating around the 3 point line. But that's just me. Sometimes Breland liked those long jumpers but she also battled down low.

lethalweapon3

PostPosted: 09/14/18 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
ClayK wrote:
lethalweapon3 wrote:
Feedback welcomed!

https://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/426749-2018-atlanta-dream-and-wnba-previews/?page=10#comment-951526

Quote:

Very good article. I do hope they are able to find a location that is easy to get to. You'd THINK that Tech fit that, but no. You can either fight for what seems like a handful of close spaces, park almost in Decatur, or walk 10-15 minutes from the MARTA station while walking across an interstate onramp just to get there.

I've never done MARTA to Philips/State Farm Arena, always drove and parked and the parking decks were fine.

They need to see who is coming/will come and make sure it is convenient for them to get there, especially during the week.

Thanks to y'all for taking time out to check it out. I made two corrections thus far. The hyperlink directed to the wrong comment on the Squawk and I edited that here. In the article where I mentioned pilight, I corrected my reference to "RebKell.net" (not .com... yikes!)

lethalweapon3

PostPosted: 09/14/18 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Link to the "Our Home" PR notice I mentioned that is on the Dream website, as a point of reference just in case the news changes anytime soon. Presumably, season-tix holders received this via e-mail back in late July/early August.

http://dream.wnba.com/our-home/

Quote:
The most obvious question should be addressed first, and as of July 31st , here is where the Atlanta Dream stands on the home arena for 2019:

Initial conversations have already occurred with State Farm Arena and the Atlanta Hawks regarding our interest in returning in 2019. In the interest of full disclosure, we are working through some hurdles now to ensure our return falls within a feasible business model for the Atlanta Dream. Because the core of our business centers around ticket sales and corporate partnerships, we must have good inventory in both of these areas available to utilize.

Please note it is our desire and intention to return to our professional home, and we are cautiously optimistic that the Hawks and Philips ownership can work with us to make that a reality.

Facilities to host our organization within this city are limited, and we will continue to keep our options open as it pertains to a back-up plan if our return to State Farm hits roadblocks. We are doing everything possible to keep this team inside the perimeter, as we have heard from our membership and agree – moving the Atlanta Dream outside of the city of Atlanta is not in the best interest of our organization.

Other link mentioned... the references to the Dream on the recently-transferred URL pages of statefarmarena dot-com. No changes apparent from whatever Philips Arena had on there.

https://www.statefarmarena.com/teams/detail/atlanta-dream
https://www.statefarmarena.com/teams

TigerVol

PostPosted: 09/14/18 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
You'd rather overpay for a third string PF than have a viable rotation player at SF?

I'd rather not have mama drama within close physical proximity.

Given the option of those two players (with Dantas healthy) I'd take the strong chemisty fit who is Tip's closest friend on the team.

PostPosted: 09/14/18 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lethalweapon3 wrote:
I corrected my reference to "RebKell.net" (not .com... yikes!)

No longer makes a difference. He must have secured both addy’s.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
TigerVol

PostPosted: 09/14/18 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
Randy wrote:

Before her injury, Dantas was frustrating me. She seems to spend too much time away from the basket. I prefer my low post to spend more time around the basket than floating around the 3 point line. But that's just me. Sometimes Breland liked those long jumpers but she also battled down low.

I think she was injured the entire season.

At her healthiest she was nailing all those shots away from the basket and was a weapon.

I think when the ankle was off she lost her shot even before that final twist that put her out for the rest of the season.

I was fine when she was able to execute on the away from the basket strategy - think the different look and making the big guard differently was part of the idea. Of course less attractive when the shots aren't falling.

PostPosted: 09/14/18 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dantas played 19 games before her injury. She is a career 28% 3 point shooter (almost the same as Angel). Collen did manage to reign in a lot of her love for the 3 point line (which flourished under Cooper for no obvious good reason.) By comparison, Natasha Howard was about a 20% career 3 point shooter (4-19) before this year. It would be great for her to develop a 3 point shot, but it so far it's not really working. I'd prefer she develop in the off-season or give it up.

Billings seemed to do ok coming off the bench, Dantas hasn't really demonstrated that quality yet.

TigerVol

PostPosted: 09/14/18 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Dantas played 19 games before her injury. She is a career 28% 3 point shooter (almost the same as Angel). Collen did manage to reign in a lot of her love for the 3 point line (which flourished under Cooper for no obvious good reason.) By comparison, Natasha Howard was about a 20% career 3 point shooter (4-19) before this year. It would be great for her to develop a 3 point shot, but it so far it's not really working. I'd prefer she develop in the off-season or give it up.

Billings seemed to do ok coming off the bench, Dantas hasn't really demonstrated that quality yet.

I thought she missed some games to start the season? All running together.

I'm excited to see how Billings develops. Coach said she invested a ton of time watching film.

PostPosted: 09/14/18 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lethalweapon3 wrote:
Link to the "Our Home" PR notice I mentioned that is on the Dream website, as a point of reference just in case the news changes anytime soon. Presumably, season-tix holders received this via e-mail back in late July/early August.

Quote:
The most obvious question should be addressed first, and as of July 31st , here is where the Atlanta Dream stands on the home arena for 2019:

Initial conversations have already occurred with State Farm Arena and the Atlanta Hawks regarding our interest in returning in 2019. In the interest of full disclosure, we are working through some hurdles now to ensure our return falls within a feasible business model for the Atlanta Dream. Because the core of our business centers around ticket sales and corporate partnerships, we must have good inventory in both of these areas available to utilize.

Please note it is our desire and intention to return to our professional home, and we are cautiously optimistic that the Hawks and Philips ownership can work with us to make that a reality.

Facilities to host our organization within this city are limited, and we will continue to keep our options open as it pertains to a back-up plan if our return to State Farm hits roadblocks. We are doing everything possible to keep this team inside the perimeter, as we have heard from our membership and agree – moving the Atlanta Dream outside of the city of Atlanta is not in the best interest of our organization.

Other link mentioned... the references to the Dream on the recently-transferred URL pages of statefarmarena dot-com. No changes apparent from whatever Philips Arena had on there.

First, lw3's article is an excellent in depth discussion of the team, its' outlook for 2019 as well as the arena situation. It is already linked above, but I will link it again.

https://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/426749-2018-atlanta-dream-and-wnba-previews/?do=findComment&comment=951526

The issues concerning the 2019 arena surprises me. I thought the team would definitely be back there. I'm not so sure the Dream are that happy with GA Tech. In another thread, it was posted that the Dream were charged a rather high price for McCamish because Tech felt like they were the "only game in town." So there is that background. It also seems possible that one of the biggest hurdles might not be the price for State Farm Arena but the available dates. In years past the month of July was almost always a very long road trip because there was something else going on at (then) Phillips that blocked out most of the month. One year the Dream went to Tech for 4 games due to arena conflicts as I recall. The Hawks have a new owner who seems greedy enough to try to get the most money possible from the Dream, or anybody else he can rent the place to, so going to State Farm may be more in question than we realized. Of course, there is always a lot of posturing in negotiations, so it may all work out. In the long run - the new College Park arena may be the home for the Dream if the Mystics, Liberty and Wings arena downsizing is deemed successful enough. The College Park arena is accessible by Marta, but I understand you go to the airport than take the "Sky Train" to the Convention Center where the new arena is going to be.

TigerVol

PostPosted: 09/14/18 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
lethalweapon3 wrote:

Quote:

First, lw3's article is an excellent in depth discussion of the team, its' outlook for 2019 as well as the arena situation. It is already linked above, but I will link it again.

The issues concerning the 2019 arena surprises me. I thought the team would definitely be back there. I'm not so sure the Dream are that happy with GA Tech. In another thread, it was posted that the Dream were charged a rather high price for McCamish because Tech felt like they were the "only game in town." So there is that background. It also seems possible that one of the biggest hurdles might not be the price for State Farm Arena but the available dates. In years past the month of July was almost always a very long road trip because there was something else going on at (then) Phillips that blocked out most of the month. One year the Dream went to Tech for 4 games due to arena conflicts as I recall. The Hawks have a new owner who seems greedy enough to try to get the most money possible from the Dream, or anybody else he can rent the place to, so going to State Farm may be more in question than we realized. Of course, there is always a lot of posturing in negotiations, so it may all work out. In the long run - the new College Park arena may be the home for the Dream if the Mystics, Liberty and Wings arena downsizing is deemed successful enough. The College Park arena is accessible by Marta, but I understand you go to the airport than take the "Sky Train" to the Convention Center where the new arena is going to be.

I think we need to be back at "state farm" to remain or become viable long term.

Lose too many Marta folks at tech (understandably).

Will lose too many current drivers (including me) going to college park or actually any arena outside the city.

Will not try to fight that traffic on any weeknight - nightmare on either front.

Seems for that to be successful they would need to mostly source and grow the fanbase local to college park or gwinnett (if that arena is an option).

May well be possible but attendence would probably get worse before getting better.

PostPosted: 09/14/18 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Based on past experience Gwinnett is probably the worst option. Traffic on weeknights on 285 and 85 is terrible. I used to go to Gladiator games once in while. I'd have to leave before 5 for a 7pm game and it was always a close call. Dream didn't draw well there in playoff games they had in the past either.

I'm not wild about College Park either - but look where other teams are going. McCammish is closest for me (saves the last half of the drive time for me) but it didn't draw well for most fans. State Farm is really the best choice for a lot reasons.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/14/18 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lethalweapon3 wrote:
BamaEd wrote:
ClayK wrote:
lethalweapon3 wrote:
Feedback welcomed!

https://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/426749-2018-atlanta-dream-and-wnba-previews/?page=10#comment-951526

Quote:

Thanks to y'all for taking time out to check it out. I made two corrections thus far. The hyperlink directed to the wrong comment on the Squawk and I edited that here. In the article where I mentioned pilight, I corrected my reference to "RebKell.net" (not .com... yikes!)

I think RebKell.com also redirects here

PostPosted: 09/15/18 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Though it's easy to blame owners for "greed," and that may be the case, it can also be cast as "good business" -- just as in New York.

If 17 dates of the Dream generates X revenue, and those 17 dates used otherwise (or 12 of them) generates 2X revenue, I don't necessarily call that greedy. Generally, even owners have some fiscal accountability outside of their own bank account (silent partners, spouses, etc.).

Again, this all could be greed in action, but I'm guessing the renovations at Phillips/State Farm were not inexpensive, and that the owner paid for some portion of them.

Of course, from 3,000 miles away, the view might not be perfect ...

PostPosted: 09/15/18 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Though the Liberty are on shaky ground with being up for sale, Atlanta is the other team I worry will pull the plug if fans don't start showing up. College Park may seem like the best option if Philips Arena(ummm, State Farm Arena) doesn't want them back.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 09/15/18 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Again, this all could be greed in action, but I'm guessing the renovations at Phillips/State Farm were not inexpensive, and that the owner paid for some portion of them.

About 75% of the cost went to the city government

PostPosted: 09/15/18 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ClayK wrote:

About 75% of the cost went to the city government

I think it was about $200 M. The new Hawks owner really wanted a new arena and "suggested" they might move but the city coughed money to keep them. This came right after the Braves moved outside of the city and the city paid what $1 B to build the Falcons a new stardium. Apparently the best and quickest way to increase your franchise value is to get a new (or least upgraded) arena. Wins and losses are not necessarily part of the equation. And who cares if the WNBA team gets shoved out of the way for a few years. (It is very good business to get someone else to pay for your arena improvements.)

Randy

PostPosted: 09/18/18 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dream have exercised the 3rd year option on Collen's contract.

http://dream.wnba.com/news/dream-exercise-third-year-option-on-head-coach-nicki-collens-contract/?mc_cid=4cdb556683&mc_eid=445c09f128

I'm thinking this is a good move.....

Very Happy

Shades

PostPosted: 09/21/18 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McCoughtry already rehabbing
https://scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/289a61748243a51c7754862f33807610/5BA7F50B/t50.2886-16/41624738_332000974011886_483676024052121600_n.mp4

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
chadb

PostPosted: 10/11/18 8:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sienko expanded role:

http://dream.wnba.com/news/chris-sienko-named-atlanta-dream-president/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: