36%  [ 18 ]
Mystics
63%
 63%  [ 31 ]
Total Votes : 49

tfan

PostPosted: 09/14/18 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Congrats to Dan Hughes, though many say Sue Bird coached the team. He's a nice guy and credit should be given.

Who are some of the many who say that Sue Bird coached the team?

scrappy

PostPosted: 09/14/18 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BoredyMcbored wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Congrats to Dan Hughes, though many say Sue Bird coached the team. He's a nice guy and credit should be given.

On one hand, I'm more likely to give credit to the Compiler than I am to Dan Hughes; not impressed by his coaching in particular.

On the other hand, I would have guessed that anybody could have coached a healthy Seattle team, at least to the Finals, except that Jenny Boucek pretty much proved that wrong last year, unless you think that Howard is so much better than Tokashki that just that one switch is the difference between first-round-and-out and champion.

I mean, Howard kinda is that big of a difference, well at least for Seattle. Tok always had tons of potential but was never great defensively, got into her own head a ton so was inconsistent offensively, and jesus, was she timid on the boards. I loved her as a player and her mid range shot was wet, but Howard filled two of Seattle's biggest holes. A good rebounder and a long body to help on D. Even better, Howard has better range than both Tok and Lang, allowing more spacing. More spacing on a team that was already big on three's is only more dangerous.

On top of that, having another playmaker in Jordin Canada was pretty huge too. Seattle needed someone to manage the bench and find a way to score in the even that KML or Sammi aren't making shots. Not to mention her defensive capabilities.

The Storm GM really did a great job of building this team. I could see it happening from the time I started watching the W (hence the fandom) as the loaded up on athletic smart passers that could shoot 3s. I just didn't imagine the rebuild would be this smooth and fast. Good on her.

i wouldn't give the gm all the credits. the two that she brought over are stewart and howard. stewart was an all consensus choice at the time. she would've been fired if she didn't draft her. if case if you didn't see the post game conference, hughes did give credit to kloppenberg for what i have been saying here- the sos defense from gary's father bob in the 90's. other than that, clark has been here. may be loyd too before the gm. the core of the team was here already.

Last edited by scrappy on 09/14/18 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
ClayK

PostPosted: 09/14/18 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Most WNBA insiders ... and I've been told that in the postgame comments from the GM and players, not one person gave Hughes a shoutout.

PostPosted: 09/14/18 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has any player won championships as many years apart as Bird now has?

Randy

PostPosted: 09/14/18 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whether Hughes deserves the credit or not - one thing changed under his leadership - defense. The Storm were well below average on D last year and this year they were one of the best defensive teams (3rd best in DR for example.) Bird was around when the Storm D was poor (and she is not considered a great defender even by her fans.)

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 09/14/18 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Whether Hughes deserves the credit or not - one thing changed under his leadership - defense. The Storm were well below average on D last year and this year they were one of the best defensive teams (3rd best in DR for example.) Bird was around when the Storm D was poor (and she is not considered a great defender even by her fans.)

It also helps when you get 1st Team All-Defensive MVP Super Megastar Natasha Howard in exchange for an old Tanisha Wright bobblehead doll. 😬

Randy

PostPosted: 09/14/18 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As always, flawless analysis SpaceJunkie. BTW - I find it amusing that last year the Storm GM was thought to be terrible and maybe the culprit behind the under-performance for the years since the Stewart draft. Now there are voices giving her lots of credit for the ship......

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 09/14/18 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
As always, flawless analysis SpaceJunkie. BTW - I find it amusing that last year the Storm GM was thought to be terrible and maybe the culprit behind the under-performance for the years since the Stewart draft. Now there are voices giving her lots of credit for the ship......

The coach must have a strong influence on the decisions the GM makes/players to go after? We kept hearing during telecasts how Dan Hughes has wanted Howard since her rookie year. Even if the 2017 Draft was weak, am I still outraged over the idea that the Storm traded a #6 pick for 1 year of Carolyn Swords and Cheryl "Sell Low" Reeve decided future All-Time Great Howard was worth only a #17 pick, which Seattle might've used to draft Mercedes Russell anyways. Smile

Last edited by SpaceJunkie on 09/14/18 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
tfan

PostPosted: 09/14/18 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
tfan wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Most WNBA insiders ... and I've been told that in the postgame comments from the GM and players, not one person gave Hughes a shoutout.

So can we get a more specific description of the situation. Did Hughes stand to the side in practice while Sue Bird coached, or did Sue Bird gather the team after practice and give her instructions for the team to follow, distinct from what Hughes had told them?

Randy

PostPosted: 09/14/18 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
ClayK wrote:
tfan wrote:
ClayK wrote:

So can we get a more specific description of the situation. Did Hughes stand to the side in practice while Sue Bird coached, or did Sue Bird gather the team after practice and give her instructions for the team to follow, distinct from what Hughes had told them?

Did she coach the team when Boucek was around? If so her coaching must have improved a lot this year.

tfan

PostPosted: 09/14/18 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
tfan wrote:
ClayK wrote:
tfan wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Did she coach the team when Boucek was around? If so her coaching must have improved a lot this year.

Lobo said Hughes credited Reeve and staff with Howard's talent. Maybe Reeve also taught Howard how to coach and she became a valuable addition to Sue Bird's staff this year.

Randy

PostPosted: 09/14/18 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing

Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/15/18 5:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

Hughes gives the most credit to Kloppenberg for that

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: