RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2018 Team USA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 09/11/18 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

And SEVEN UConn "alums". The Geno Conspiracy persists!!!

Well he's still on the committee! Laughing And now, unlike before, according to him, he actually has a vote. Wink

- Amanda Gorman
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/11/18 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Or EDD will show up and Dawn sees T. Mitchell as a SF and K. Mitchell who in an article awhile ago was kind of mentioned as the future at the PG spot is still in the running leaving something like this for the final team

Bird/Plum/K. Mitchell
DT/Loyd
EDD/T. Mitchell
Stewart/N. Ogwumike/Wilson
Griner/Charles

Charles/Wilson/Ogwumike and even Stewart can probably count as Centers for most games in the International scene.

or E. Will beats out one of the Mitchell's

I still think Collier needs EDD to sit out to have a chance at the final squad, especially as she really isn't a SF not yet at least. I guess she is as close to being a SF as T. Mitchell or DT, but if they want to go bigger wouldn't EDD and Stewart be enough coverage?

A long time ago when Dawn was announced as the coach I included T. Mitchell kind of as a Geno type of move and people said that would never happen, we'll see.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/11/18 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They really MUST take a different picture of A'ja. https://www.usab.com/womens/national-team/roster/2018-world-cup.aspx This one looks like her admit to jail picture.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/11/18 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Anybody else find it hilarious that two players who didn't even start for the worst team in the league, are still in the running?

Might say something about how coaching contributed to the Fever being the worst team in the league.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/11/18 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
New moves: https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/09/wwc-16-finalists.aspx

Short version, they cut DeShields, Dolson, A.Gray and Sims. Leaves something like:

Plum/Clarendon
Taurasi/KMitchell
Collier/TMitchell
Wilson/Charles/Tuck
Griner/Ogwumike/E.Williams

with Bird, Stewart, Loyd and Delle Donne still in line to arrive later.

Are Pokey and Staley an item? Wink

At least AGray got the axe. That probably wasn’t easy for Staley.

Adding late arrivals and arranging into more appropriate positions, I come up with:
Bird/Plum
Taurasi/Loyd/(TMitchell or KMitchell)
Delle Donne/(Tuck or Collier)
Stewart/Ogwumike/Wilson
Griner/Charles

I’m not sure what to make of Loyd. She's never been on the national team before, she’s missing camps, and yet it seems she almost has to have a spot by default. Neither Mitchell is better than her at this point.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 09/11/18 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

or E. Will beats out one of the Mitchell's

That would make them way post-heavy. It’s already pushing it to consider Delle Donne a G/F. She’s like an extra post.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/11/18 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Short version, they cut DeShields, Dolson, A.Gray and Sims. Leaves something like:

Plum/Clarendon
Taurasi/KMitchell
Collier/TMitchell
Wilson/Charles/Tuck

Adding late arrivals and arranging into more appropriate positions, I come up with:
Bird/Plum
Stewart/Ogwumike/Wilson
Griner/Charles

I’m not sure what to make of Loyd. She's never been on the national team before, she’s missing camps, and yet it seems she almost has to have a spot by default. Neither Mitchell is better than her at this point.

It probably doesn't hurt that Loyd has some built in chemistry with Bird and Stewart. And I agree I can't see the team passing on Loyd to bring one of the Mitchell's instead but who knows at this point?

I do think in the T. Mitchell vs Tuck/Collier situation it will be interesting to see who is really putting the team together.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/11/18 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Shades wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Plum/Clarendon
Taurasi/KMitchell
Collier/TMitchell
Wilson/Charles/Tuck

Bird/Plum
Stewart/Ogwumike/Wilson
Griner/Charles

It probably doesn't hurt that Loyd has some built in chemistry with Bird and Stewart. And I agree I can't see the team passing on Loyd to bring one of the Mitchell's instead but who knows at this point?

I do think in the T. Mitchell vs Tuck/Collier situation it will be interesting to see who is really putting the team together.

Probably because you can consider Loyd as part of the future A team and at a minimum part of the B line-up while both Mitchells, Tuck etc. are like option D or E

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
zune69

PostPosted: 09/11/18 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So now we're selecting/cutting players based on what they've done since high school?.......Why even have a training camp if that's the case?.... The player who was cut(DD) has experience overseas and in the WNBA. While the other player(Collier) has yet to play a pro game and her position is TBD...DD is better suited to play the SF position.

You know what I think really happened....Staley/USA basketball saw DD as a legit threat to make the Olympic team. So they limited her minutes to keep her production down. This way no one would complain when she got cut.........If I was DD, I would never show up to another USA basketball training camp.......Not only I'm I done with the WNBA after this season,but USA basketball as well.......Too Many personal agendas IMO.

miller40

PostPosted: 09/11/18 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
It's just hard to believe that both Mitchells were kept and DeSheilds AND Sims got cut.

It’s hard for me to believe Clarendon is still around.

canadaball

PostPosted: 09/11/18 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
It's just hard to believe that both Mitchells were kept and DeSheilds AND Sims got cut.

I think you are missing the structure of this team. For the last 30 years (since the days of Kim Mulkey) USA basketball has placed great emphasis on pg leadership and the ability to set up the bigs. Now, with the absence of Maya, the main USA strength is that inside game. With Griner, Stew, DelaD, Charles, Wilson, and Neka, top to bottom, this is probably the strongest group ever put together by any team ever. I realize some of this group is young, but it is not far fetched to predict every one (Neka the ?) will be in the Naismith Hall of Fame. USA guards do not have to be scorers; just play smart with good defense, and don't muck things up.

dtbtbtb

PostPosted: 09/11/18 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It must be Geno that cut DD Smile

sigur3

PostPosted: 09/11/18 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
You know what I think really happened....Staley/USA basketball saw DD as a legit threat to make the Olympic team. So they limited her minutes to keep her production down. This way no one would complain when she got cut.........If I was DD, I would never show up to another USA basketball training camp.......Not only I'm I done with the WNBA after this season,but USA basketball as well.......Too Many personal agendas IMO.

miller40

PostPosted: 09/11/18 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
miller40 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

I think you are missing the structure of this team. For the last 30 years (since the days of Kim Mulkey) USA basketball has placed great emphasis on pg leadership and the ability to set up the bigs. Now, with the absence of Maya, the main USA strength is that inside game. With Griner, Stew, DelaD, Charles, Wilson, and Neka, top to bottom, this is probably the strongest group ever put together by any team ever. I realize some of this group is young, but it is not far fetched to predict every one (Neka the ?) will be in the Naismith Hall of Fame. USA guards do not have to be scorers; just play smart with good defense, and don't muck things up.

I don’t consider her that smart or that good of a defender.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/12/18 1:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

If anyone has a personal agenda right now its you Zune and i dont mean that in a bad way. You are the biggest DD fan on this board so i get why your frustrated that she got cut.

I think there are multiple question marks around the selections of a few players right now or why they are still there and players like Sims and DD got cut. It might be personal preference from the coach because of their history with her program, it might be the right mindset/teamspirit, or chemistry with other teammates. I dont think we ever going to find out the real reason.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
zune69

PostPosted: 09/12/18 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:

If anyone has a personal agenda right now its you Zune and i dont mean that in a bad way. You are the biggest DD fan on this board so i get why your frustrated that she got cut.

I think there are multiple question marks around the selections of a few players right now or why they are still there and players like Sims and DD got cut. It might be personal preference from the coach because of their history with her program, it might be the right mindset/teamspirit, or chemistry with other teammates. I dont think we ever going to find out the real reason.

I get what you’re saying...but my agenda is backed up by performance and logic while I believe Staley/USA Basketball have a touch of bias built into their decision making. Not necessarily against Diamond, but for other players who have connections to the selecting committee and assistant Coaches past(Mike T) and present(Hughes)..I’m sure Coach Mike T is lobbying for A.Atkins and D.Hughes for A.Clark.Staley could also have interest in adding A.Atkins or A.Clark to the pool of Olympic hopefuls….M.Moore will definitely make the 2020 Olympic team. That leaves room for one more small forward. It could come down to Atkins vs DeShields...DD making the final roster and putting a good effort at Worlds would've given her a slight advantage over Atkins (Candace Parker would probably disagree)…..I'd have no problem with Atkins or Clark making the Olympic team...I just think Diamond had a golden opportunity snatched away from her.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/12/18 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if DeShields is now going to be the next future superstar to import herself. Russia? Spain? Italy?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/12/18 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alysha Clark's been playing for Israel for years; so she won't be joining the US pool.

PostPosted: 09/12/18 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There should be a new slogan "Join the WNBA and see the world".

Shades

PostPosted: 09/12/18 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Today’s practice quotes
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/09/wnt-9-12-quotes.aspx

Quote:
Tina Charles (New York Liberty)
What are your thoughts on the team as it wraps up the domestic portion of training camp?
We know there will be another cut before we go to Spain, but everybody here is just happy to be here, trying to execute everything and do all of the things that the coaches are asking them to do.

Quote:
Napheesa Collier (University of Connecticut)
You came out here at the beginning of training camp thinking you would only be here three days. And you’re still here. How has this process been for you, and did you pack enough clothes?
I packed really lightly. I need to wash things really often. (laughs)

There have been past instances of college players on a World Cup team. Does that make you feel a little more confident that you could be next?
It would be amazing. That’s tjhe goal here. So, I’m just going to keep doing what I’m doing, working hard and try to do everything they ask of me. Hopefully, as coach Staley says, my number is called and I get to go.

Quote:
Kelsey Mitchell (Indiana Fever)
What things off the court do the vets do you haven’t incorporated yet?
Not necessarily eating healthy, because I’m not a terrible eater myself. But, it’s stuff like going to bed early and stretching right after practice. I was talking to Layshia, and she was like, ‘I got to get my stretching in.’ It’s different to see. It’s a little funny, but you applaud them for taking it that serious.

Quote:
Morgan Tuck (Connecticut Sun)
How is training camp going?
I think everyone is just excited, especially, most of us here, we are not for sure on the team. So, we are just excited to have the opportunity to keep going. We are trying to make sure that we are focused and make the most of the opportunity.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/12/18 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

K. Mitch sounds like she has a lot of growing up to do.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 09/13/18 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/09/wnt-france-tourn-preview.aspx

Quote:
First, six of the USA athletes who competed in Bridgeport are no longer training with the team, including Kelsey Mitchell, who was one of 16 finalists named to the team but did not travel to France due to a family emergency. Second, the American roster will see the addition of Olympic and World Cup champions Brittney Griner and Diana Taurasi of the Phoenix Mercury.

A couple of things this article did not make clear:
*Is Kelsey Mitchell no longer under consideration for the team?
*They talk about Griner & Taurasi, but what about the players from the WNBA Finals?

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 09/14/18 6:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone know if they are broadcasting the remainder of the pre-tournament matches?

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 09/14/18 8:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
Anyone know if they are broadcasting the remainder of the pre-tournament matches?

I can't find it...gotta be somewhere i hope.

PostPosted: 09/14/18 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe awhom or one of our other European friends will have a link.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 18 of 23

Jump to: