RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

2018 Team USA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
miller40



Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Posts: 1082



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/10/18 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
miller40 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
miller40 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
Why is Bonner not in the USA pool? Does she play for another country. They could use her

Nope, she's still American. She was pregnant and not playing when they put a lot of the pool together, which is the only reason I can see why she wasn't in it to start with. Maybe they talked to her and she wasn't interested with the two young babies to look after.


She’s with Macedonia now.

Really? They didn't even play in the qualifiers for EuroBasket 2017; bit of a leap from there to paying a ringer.


Really. https://www.instagram.com/p/BgQTboKgPqM/?taken-by=cerenates10

Good for her. That'll certainly pay for a few diapers. This is one of the other drawbacks of letting the legends play on, and on, and on for as many tournaments as they like. Some of the players get tired of waiting and aren't even available once the US decide they might be interested.

(I didn't mean to sound like I was doubting you, by the way. I was just surprised. Sorry if that's how it came across)

No sweat, it didn’t come across that way. I know it’s a random one, and I had the link up because I went to double check myself before posting.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 22990



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/10/18 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is macedonia even independent from Greece? If not, then I'm confused how this could be interpreted as a nationality. Wouldn't it be like saying you were playing for Texas?



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
SO ...I lost a bet with Rock about how many wins Chicago would get this year. My punishment - T. Young as my avatar. Well it could be worse!
awhom111



Joined: 19 Nov 2014
Posts: 2005



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/10/18 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Is macedonia even independent from Greece? If not, then I'm confused how this could be interpreted as a nationality. Wouldn't it be like saying you were playing for Texas?


The long version:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macedonia_naming_dispute

Short version: not really that Macedonia, they are officially called FYROM in sporting events, maybe one day soon everyone will agree to call them North Macedonia
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 20606
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/10/18 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the men's game they're actually pretty well established and have qualified for a bunch of tournaments; the women have done virtually nothing.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 22990



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/18 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Is macedonia even independent from Greece? If not, then I'm confused how this could be interpreted as a nationality. Wouldn't it be like saying you were playing for Texas?


The long version:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macedonia_naming_dispute

Short version: not really that Macedonia, they are officially called FYROM in sporting events, maybe one day soon everyone will agree to call them North Macedonia


thanks for the clarification



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
SO ...I lost a bet with Rock about how many wins Chicago would get this year. My punishment - T. Young as my avatar. Well it could be worse!
canadaball



Joined: 24 May 2013
Posts: 243



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/18 12:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I found Thibeau's appearance as a guest commentator very interesting. The way he was talking DelaD will be on this year's USA team (and he should know). This means that she must be improving daily with her knee injury, which might really help Wash in the Finals. He was really knowledgable about so much of women's basketball; no surprise there, of course, but he was pretty candid, which I found refreshing. For instance, in a positive way, he highlighted Plum's major weakness, which is shaky defense. He also emphasized the big ?, beyond ancient masked Bird,(sure to be tired after the tough playoff grind) at pg. I really see no obvious selection. Clarendon has good pg tools, but she cannot shoot from outside, and team USA is sure to see some sagging defenses, given its strong inside game (Coach T called it best ever). Sims seems to lack a good feel for pg, and Plum, as noted, is a weak defender. Sabrina is alluring, as a college star, but she looked horrible against the quick Canadian guards. Without mentioning specific names, Thibeau called out players (Diggy, Chelsea Gray, Jasmine Thomas) who have punted their pg chances on this team, and by implication, future Olympics.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49081



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/18 1:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
Without mentioning specific names, Thibeau called out players (Diggy, Chelsea Gray, Jasmine Thomas) who have punted their pg chances on this team, and by implication, future Olympics.


Why would he have any say or knowledge in that? Does he have any Olympics association?



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
canadaball



Joined: 24 May 2013
Posts: 243



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/18 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
canadaball wrote:
Without mentioning specific names, Thibeau called out players (Diggy, Chelsea Gray, Jasmine Thomas) who have punted their pg chances on this team, and by implication, future Olympics.


Why would he have any say or knowledge in that? Does he have any Olympics association?


Thibeau is a former assistant Olympic coach (2008 Olympics), and, as they mentioned on broadcast, worked with the men's team in the early 1990's. He was mentioned prominently as a possible head coach when they went with Geno. He did say that he was traveling to Spain for the last 3 games.I am sure he has deep knowledgable insight in Olympic team doings.


Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 2018



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/18 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Damn wish Gray had gone.

Maybe USA needs to pay its player so they don't play when there is a competition Confused


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49081



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/18 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
Shades wrote:
canadaball wrote:
Without mentioning specific names, Thibeau called out players (Diggy, Chelsea Gray, Jasmine Thomas) who have punted their pg chances on this team, and by implication, future Olympics.


Why would he have any say or knowledge in that? Does he have any Olympics association?


Thibeau is a former assistant Olympic coach (2008 Olympics), and, as they mentioned on broadcast, worked with the men's team in the early 1990's.


Ancient history.

canadaball wrote:
He was mentioned prominently as a possible head coach when they went with Geno.


I think they made the right choice.

canadaball wrote:
He did say that he was traveling to Spain for the last 3 games.


Like every other coach who has a player in the World Cup?

canadaball wrote:
I am sure he has deep knowledgable insight in Olympic team doings.


Not based on anything you just said. Now if Staley, Reeve, Hughes, or anybody closely associated with current USAB came out with a statement like that, it would hold more weight for me. But it seems like he was just giving his opinion like we do on this board. Could be a good opinion. Could be way off, like when he said Sue Bird was trying to intentionally foul at the end of Game #2.

Thibault has been sounding grumpy lately. I wonder why? He’s staring at an insurmountable 0-2 and yet another year of championship futility.

I love that Thibault gave his opinion, but it should be made clear that it’s just his opinion and not statement of authority.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
bballjunkie



Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 611



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/18 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure what to think as I am not used to watching USA on the sidelines showing little emotion, very little chemistry with the coach also showing little. At least Rizzotti and Reeve were trying to get the players going in the second halves but it didn’t seem like a national team.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 22990



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/18 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Mike is the perfect one to give his opinion. The USA folks wouldn't dare to say that out loud because it wouldn't be PC.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
SO ...I lost a bet with Rock about how many wins Chicago would get this year. My punishment - T. Young as my avatar. Well it could be worse!
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49081



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/18 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
The USA folks wouldn't dare to say that out loud because it wouldn't be PC.


Not only wouldn’t it be PC, it wouldn’t necessarily be true. It’s all about winning. The squad we saw last night would probably get beat up by a full-strength Opals squad. That’s why the late-comers (some of which many here say should have retired) are important to the team.

Is USAB really going to say no to players who missed 2018 even if they feel they need them in 2020? I doubt it.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon



Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 4700



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/18 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
The USA folks wouldn't dare to say that out loud because it wouldn't be PC.


Not only wouldn’t it be PC, it wouldn’t necessarily be true. It’s all about winning. The squad we saw last night would probably get beat up by a full-strength Opals squad. That’s why the late-comers (some of which many here say should have retired) are important to the team.

Is USAB really going to say no to players who missed 2018 even if they feel they need them in 2020? I doubt it.


Yes, but if they never have chosen those players in the past Team USA might not feel that they do need them. However if they had shown up in 18 been put on the Worlds team and did a great job maybe Team USA would realize they do need them.

And come 2020 if they are looking at those player vs someone like Plum or Sims who were there in 18 and it seems close enough being there in 18 might make the difference. (And yes it didn't help Sims in 14 but she wasn't going to knock off Bird, Whalen, DT or Augustus. This year there is a spot or two up for grabs and Sims showing up again is doing everything she needs to do for consideration.)

I'm not saying they won't chose somewhere who wasn't there, but being there would absolutely have helped there cause if they are looking towards being on the National team in 2020. OTOH maybe that isn't something these players are as interested in as we might assume.

Also you put Bird, DT, Stewie, EDD and Griner on last nights team and you win by 40+ so it probably isn't really a concern for team USA, or even a bad look for the players in question.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49081



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/18 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

I'm not saying they won't chose somewhere who wasn't there


Then we agree.

J-Spoon wrote:
but being there would absolutely have helped there cause if they are looking towards being on the National team in 2020.


That’s not what grumpy Thibault was saying. I believe the quote was “they’ve punted their chances”. Maybe he’s hoping that more Mystics get consideration in the future. There’s always some angle to be worked.

J-Spoon wrote:
Also you put Bird, DT, Stewie, EDD and Griner on last nights team and you win by 30+


We agree again. But weren’t you part of the old-timers-have-got-to-go sect? Now that people actually see how well a young inexperienced team play together, they suddenly feel differently.

J-Spoon wrote:
so it probably isn't really a concern for team USA, or even a bad look for the players in question.


Huh? Wait until they play some better teams. Let’s see what happens in the actual tournament.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon



Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 4700



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/18 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually I was one of the very pro Bird in 16 when most were against it.

Post 16 Olympics I thought it would be good to get some new blood in there, but the retirement of Cathings and Whalen, injury to McCoughtry and possible retirement of Augustus from the National team come 2020 has opened up some opportunity for the younger players on the perimeter.

I don't think it is out of the question they take someone who isn't on this Worlds team at the PG spot, but I do think passing up this opportunity will hurt the chances of anyone who was in that position.

The fact that this team missing half its all-stars struggles until the 4th quarter isn't going to stop Plum or Sims or whoever from getting an 11th or 12th spot on the team. If Team USA loses in the Worlds competition that might bode better for the talent that didn't show up this time around, but if they sail through with one of these players as back up/back up PG or DD or Collier as a bench SF those players will be in good shape going into 2020 for consideration and much better shape than someone who has never been on the team not being there. Only the likes of Moore and Fowles can do a no show at the Worlds and still feel confident about a spot in 2020


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 20606
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/18 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New moves: https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/09/wwc-16-finalists.aspx

Short version, they cut DeShields, Dolson, A.Gray and Sims. Leaves something like:

Plum/Clarendon
Taurasi/KMitchell
Collier/TMitchell
Wilson/Charles/Tuck
Griner/Ogwumike/E.Williams

with Bird, Stewart, Loyd and Delle Donne still in line to arrive later.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/


Last edited by Richyyy on 09/11/18 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 17482



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/18 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Assuming Delle Donne sits and the two Mitchells & Tuck get cut, there seems to be a strong chance Collier makes the roster due to the shortage of SFs. This will only boost her draft stock. wonder what happened to Sims & DeShields?

http://www.wnba.com/news/sixteen-finalists-named-for-2018-usa-basketball-womens-world-cup-team/?cid=wnba:socialowned:facebook:article:usab:91118

PG: Bird/Clarendon
SG: Taurasi/Loyd/Plum
SF: Stewart/Collier
PF: Charles/Ogwumike/Wilson
C: Griner/Williams



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 2018



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/18 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SMH can't fathom what they are thinking, don't think this will have anything for future as it is actually showing weaknesses. DD is a head scratcher for sure and they basically have no SFs.


toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 17482



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/18 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's just hard to believe that both Mitchells were kept and DeSheilds AND Sims got cut.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 2018



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/18 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Totally agree, especially as we saw yesterday how they turned the game against Japan, Sims D and DD showed that she was the only one able to hit from outside of 5 feet.

I get T Mitch as she showed defensively that she was better on the court than the token college player.




Last edited by Nixtreefan on 09/11/18 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 22990



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/18 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anybody else find it hilarious that two players who didn't even start for the worst team in the league, are still in the running?

DD is puzzling as she looked really good in the early scrimmage but played reduced minutes later...so it must be that subjective team chemistry thingie that is so hard to define.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
SO ...I lost a bet with Rock about how many wins Chicago would get this year. My punishment - T. Young as my avatar. Well it could be worse!
GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 4992
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/18 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
DD is a head scratcher for sure and they basically have no SFs.


A reasonable interpretation would be that Collier beat out DeShields. That wouldn't surprise me. Collier takes care to take much higher quality shots than DD, thereby shooting a higher percentage, is a better positional rebounder, and has a better overall team play IQ.

Does Williams survive? If not, is Griner the only center? The team obviously needs the elite center skills of Teaira McCowan or Kalani Brown.

And SEVEN UConn "alums". The Geno Conspiracy persists!!!
Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 2018



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/18 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thats not what we saw as she can't hit from outside and always goes left. DD has an outside game and can make moves off the dribble both left and right. I thought she also was in control and passed when appropriate and attacked when she should. Plus she is far superior defensively and not a liability on the perimeter.


GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 4992
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/18 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Thats not what we saw as she can't hit from outside and always goes left. DD has an outside game and can make moves off the dribble both left and right. I thought she also was in control and passed when appropriate and attacked when she should. Plus she is far superior defensively and not a liability on the perimeter.


My comments about Collier and DD were not limited to the recent two scrimmages, but are based on their entire careers since high school. Geno would take that perspective into consideration.
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 22990



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/18 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

And SEVEN UConn "alums". The Geno Conspiracy persists!!!


Well he's still on the committee! Laughing And now, unlike before, according to him, he actually has a vote. Wink



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
SO ...I lost a bet with Rock about how many wins Chicago would get this year. My punishment - T. Young as my avatar. Well it could be worse!
J-Spoon



Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 4700



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/18 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Or EDD will show up and Dawn sees T. Mitchell as a SF and K. Mitchell who in an article awhile ago was kind of mentioned as the future at the PG spot is still in the running leaving something like this for the final team

Bird/Plum/K. Mitchell
DT/Loyd
EDD/T. Mitchell
Stewart/N. Ogwumike/Wilson
Griner/Charles

Charles/Wilson/Ogwumike and even Stewart can probably count as Centers for most games in the International scene.

or E. Will beats out one of the Mitchell's

I still think Collier needs EDD to sit out to have a chance at the final squad, especially as she really isn't a SF not yet at least. I guess she is as close to being a SF as T. Mitchell or DT, but if they want to go bigger wouldn't EDD and Stewart be enough coverage?

A long time ago when Dawn was announced as the coach I included T. Mitchell kind of as a Geno type of move and people said that would never happen, we'll see.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 22990



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/18 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They really MUST take a different picture of A'ja. https://www.usab.com/womens/national-team/roster/2018-world-cup.aspx This one looks like her admit to jail picture.


PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 14386
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/18 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Anybody else find it hilarious that two players who didn't even start for the worst team in the league, are still in the running?


Might say something about how coaching contributed to the Fever being the worst team in the league.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49081



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/18 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
New moves: https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/09/wwc-16-finalists.aspx

Short version, they cut DeShields, Dolson, A.Gray and Sims. Leaves something like:

Plum/Clarendon
Taurasi/KMitchell
Collier/TMitchell
Wilson/Charles/Tuck
Griner/Ogwumike/E.Williams

with Bird, Stewart, Loyd and Delle Donne still in line to arrive later.


Are Pokey and Staley an item? Wink

At least AGray got the axe. That probably wasn’t easy for Staley.

Adding late arrivals and arranging into more appropriate positions, I come up with:
Bird/Plum
Taurasi/Loyd/(TMitchell or KMitchell)
Delle Donne/(Tuck or Collier)
Stewart/Ogwumike/Wilson
Griner/Charles

I’m not sure what to make of Loyd. She's never been on the national team before, she’s missing camps, and yet it seems she almost has to have a spot by default. Neither Mitchell is better than her at this point.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49081



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/18 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:


or E. Will beats out one of the Mitchell's



That would make them way post-heavy. It’s already pushing it to consider Delle Donne a G/F. She’s like an extra post.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon



Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 4700



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/18 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
New moves: https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/09/wwc-16-finalists.aspx

Short version, they cut DeShields, Dolson, A.Gray and Sims. Leaves something like:

Plum/Clarendon
Taurasi/KMitchell
Collier/TMitchell
Wilson/Charles/Tuck
Griner/Ogwumike/E.Williams

with Bird, Stewart, Loyd and Delle Donne still in line to arrive later.


Are Pokey and Staley an item? Wink

At least AGray got the axe. That probably wasn’t easy for Staley.

Adding late arrivals and arranging into more appropriate positions, I come up with:
Bird/Plum
Taurasi/Loyd/(TMitchell or KMitchell)
Delle Donne/(Tuck or Collier)
Stewart/Ogwumike/Wilson
Griner/Charles

I’m not sure what to make of Loyd. She's never been on the national team before, she’s missing camps, and yet it seems she almost has to have a spot by default. Neither Mitchell is better than her at this point.


It probably doesn't hurt that Loyd has some built in chemistry with Bird and Stewart. And I agree I can't see the team passing on Loyd to bring one of the Mitchell's instead but who knows at this point?

I do think in the T. Mitchell vs Tuck/Collier situation it will be interesting to see who is really putting the team together.


Michelle89



Joined: 17 Nov 2010
Posts: 15328
Location: Holland


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/18 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Shades wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
New moves: https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/09/wwc-16-finalists.aspx

Short version, they cut DeShields, Dolson, A.Gray and Sims. Leaves something like:

Plum/Clarendon
Taurasi/KMitchell
Collier/TMitchell
Wilson/Charles/Tuck
Griner/Ogwumike/E.Williams

with Bird, Stewart, Loyd and Delle Donne still in line to arrive later.


Are Pokey and Staley an item? Wink

At least AGray got the axe. That probably wasn’t easy for Staley.

Adding late arrivals and arranging into more appropriate positions, I come up with:
Bird/Plum
Taurasi/Loyd/(TMitchell or KMitchell)
Delle Donne/(Tuck or Collier)
Stewart/Ogwumike/Wilson
Griner/Charles

I’m not sure what to make of Loyd. She's never been on the national team before, she’s missing camps, and yet it seems she almost has to have a spot by default. Neither Mitchell is better than her at this point.


It probably doesn't hurt that Loyd has some built in chemistry with Bird and Stewart. And I agree I can't see the team passing on Loyd to bring one of the Mitchell's instead but who knows at this point?

I do think in the T. Mitchell vs Tuck/Collier situation it will be interesting to see who is really putting the team together.


Probably because you can consider Loyd as part of the future A team and at a minimum part of the B line-up while both Mitchells, Tuck etc. are like option D or E



_________________
"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
zune69



Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 7166



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/18 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So now we're selecting/cutting players based on what they've done since high school?.......Why even have a training camp if that's the case?.... The player who was cut(DD) has experience overseas and in the WNBA. While the other player(Collier) has yet to play a pro game and her position is TBD...DD is better suited to play the SF position.

You know what I think really happened....Staley/USA basketball saw DD as a legit threat to make the Olympic team. So they limited her minutes to keep her production down. This way no one would complain when she got cut.........If I was DD, I would never show up to another USA basketball training camp.......Not only I'm I done with the WNBA after this season,but USA basketball as well.......Too Many personal agendas IMO.


miller40



Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Posts: 1082



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/18 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
It's just hard to believe that both Mitchells were kept and DeSheilds AND Sims got cut.

It’s hard for me to believe Clarendon is still around.


canadaball



Joined: 24 May 2013
Posts: 243



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/18 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
It's just hard to believe that both Mitchells were kept and DeSheilds AND Sims got cut.

It’s hard for me to believe Clarendon is still around.


I think you are missing the structure of this team. For the last 30 years (since the days of Kim Mulkey) USA basketball has placed great emphasis on pg leadership and the ability to set up the bigs. Now, with the absence of Maya, the main USA strength is that inside game. With Griner, Stew, DelaD, Charles, Wilson, and Neka, top to bottom, this is probably the strongest group ever put together by any team ever. I realize some of this group is young, but it is not far fetched to predict every one (Neka the ?) will be in the Naismith Hall of Fame. USA guards do not have to be scorers; just play smart with good defense, and don't muck things up.


dtbtbtb



Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Posts: 119



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/18 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It must be Geno that cut DD Smile


sigur3



Joined: 18 Jun 2013
Posts: 6169
Location: Chicago-ish


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/18 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
You know what I think really happened....Staley/USA basketball saw DD as a legit threat to make the Olympic team. So they limited her minutes to keep her production down. This way no one would complain when she got cut.........If I was DD, I would never show up to another USA basketball training camp.......Not only I'm I done with the WNBA after this season,but USA basketball as well.......Too Many personal agendas IMO.




miller40



Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Posts: 1082



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/11/18 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
miller40 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
It's just hard to believe that both Mitchells were kept and DeSheilds AND Sims got cut.

It’s hard for me to believe Clarendon is still around.


I think you are missing the structure of this team. For the last 30 years (since the days of Kim Mulkey) USA basketball has placed great emphasis on pg leadership and the ability to set up the bigs. Now, with the absence of Maya, the main USA strength is that inside game. With Griner, Stew, DelaD, Charles, Wilson, and Neka, top to bottom, this is probably the strongest group ever put together by any team ever. I realize some of this group is young, but it is not far fetched to predict every one (Neka the ?) will be in the Naismith Hall of Fame. USA guards do not have to be scorers; just play smart with good defense, and don't muck things up.


I don’t consider her that smart or that good of a defender.


Michelle89



Joined: 17 Nov 2010
Posts: 15328
Location: Holland


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/12/18 1:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
You know what I think really happened....Staley/USA basketball saw DD as a legit threat to make the Olympic team. So they limited her minutes to keep her production down. This way no one would complain when she got cut.........If I was DD, I would never show up to another USA basketball training camp.......Not only I'm I done with the WNBA after this season,but USA basketball as well.......Too Many personal agendas IMO.




If anyone has a personal agenda right now its you Zune and i dont mean that in a bad way. You are the biggest DD fan on this board so i get why your frustrated that she got cut.

I think there are multiple question marks around the selections of a few players right now or why they are still there and players like Sims and DD got cut. It might be personal preference from the coach because of their history with her program, it might be the right mindset/teamspirit, or chemistry with other teammates. I dont think we ever going to find out the real reason.



_________________
"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
zune69



Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 7166



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/12/18 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:

If anyone has a personal agenda right now its you Zune and i dont mean that in a bad way. You are the biggest DD fan on this board so i get why your frustrated that she got cut.

I think there are multiple question marks around the selections of a few players right now or why they are still there and players like Sims and DD got cut. It might be personal preference from the coach because of their history with her program, it might be the right mindset/teamspirit, or chemistry with other teammates. I dont think we ever going to find out the real reason.


I get what you’re saying...but my agenda is backed up by performance and logic while I believe Staley/USA Basketball have a touch of bias built into their decision making. Not necessarily against Diamond, but for other players who have connections to the selecting committee and assistant Coaches past(Mike T) and present(Hughes)..I’m sure Coach Mike T is lobbying for A.Atkins and D.Hughes for A.Clark.Staley could also have interest in adding A.Atkins or A.Clark to the pool of Olympic hopefuls….M.Moore will definitely make the 2020 Olympic team. That leaves room for one more small forward. It could come down to Atkins vs DeShields...DD making the final roster and putting a good effort at Worlds would've given her a slight advantage over Atkins (Candace Parker would probably disagree)…..I'd have no problem with Atkins or Clark making the Olympic team...I just think Diamond had a golden opportunity snatched away from her.


toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 17482



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/12/18 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if DeShields is now going to be the next future superstar to import herself. Russia? Spain? Italy?



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 20606
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/12/18 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alysha Clark's been playing for Israel for years; so she won't be joining the US pool.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 8506



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/12/18 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There should be a new slogan "Join the WNBA and see the world".



_________________
Lodestar
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49081



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/12/18 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Today’s practice quotes
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/09/wnt-9-12-quotes.aspx

Quote:
Tina Charles (New York Liberty)
What are your thoughts on the team as it wraps up the domestic portion of training camp?
We know there will be another cut before we go to Spain, but everybody here is just happy to be here, trying to execute everything and do all of the things that the coaches are asking them to do.


Quote:
Napheesa Collier (University of Connecticut)
You came out here at the beginning of training camp thinking you would only be here three days. And you’re still here. How has this process been for you, and did you pack enough clothes?
I packed really lightly. I need to wash things really often. (laughs)

There have been past instances of college players on a World Cup team. Does that make you feel a little more confident that you could be next?
It would be amazing. That’s tjhe goal here. So, I’m just going to keep doing what I’m doing, working hard and try to do everything they ask of me. Hopefully, as coach Staley says, my number is called and I get to go.


Quote:
Kelsey Mitchell (Indiana Fever)
What things off the court do the vets do you haven’t incorporated yet?
Not necessarily eating healthy, because I’m not a terrible eater myself. But, it’s stuff like going to bed early and stretching right after practice. I was talking to Layshia, and she was like, ‘I got to get my stretching in.’ It’s different to see. It’s a little funny, but you applaud them for taking it that serious.


Quote:
Morgan Tuck (Connecticut Sun)
How is training camp going?
I think everyone is just excited, especially, most of us here, we are not for sure on the team. So, we are just excited to have the opportunity to keep going. We are trying to make sure that we are focused and make the most of the opportunity.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 22990



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/12/18 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

K. Mitch sounds like she has a lot of growing up to do.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
SO ...I lost a bet with Rock about how many wins Chicago would get this year. My punishment - T. Young as my avatar. Well it could be worse!
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49081



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/13/18 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/09/wnt-france-tourn-preview.aspx

Quote:
First, six of the USA athletes who competed in Bridgeport are no longer training with the team, including Kelsey Mitchell, who was one of 16 finalists named to the team but did not travel to France due to a family emergency. Second, the American roster will see the addition of Olympic and World Cup champions Brittney Griner and Diana Taurasi of the Phoenix Mercury.


A couple of things this article did not make clear:
*Is Kelsey Mitchell no longer under consideration for the team?
*They talk about Griner & Taurasi, but what about the players from the WNBA Finals?



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WfanFrJmp



Joined: 24 May 2016
Posts: 726



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/14/18 6:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone know if they are broadcasting the remainder of the pre-tournament matches?


cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 10668
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump isn't potus. If u were in my safe space, you'd have to be f'd up


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/14/18 8:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
Anyone know if they are broadcasting the remainder of the pre-tournament matches?


I can't find it...gotta be somewhere i hope.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people.
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 22990



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/14/18 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe awhom or one of our other European friends will have a link.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
SO ...I lost a bet with Rock about how many wins Chicago would get this year. My punishment - T. Young as my avatar. Well it could be worse!
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin