miller40

PostPosted: 09/10/18 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
miller40 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
miller40 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
Why is Bonner not in the USA pool? Does she play for another country. They could use her

Nope, she's still American. She was pregnant and not playing when they put a lot of the pool together, which is the only reason I can see why she wasn't in it to start with. Maybe they talked to her and she wasn't interested with the two young babies to look after.

She’s with Macedonia now.

Really? They didn't even play in the qualifiers for EuroBasket 2017; bit of a leap from there to paying a ringer.

Really. https://www.instagram.com/p/BgQTboKgPqM/?taken-by=cerenates10

Good for her. That'll certainly pay for a few diapers. This is one of the other drawbacks of letting the legends play on, and on, and on for as many tournaments as they like. Some of the players get tired of waiting and aren't even available once the US decide they might be interested.

(I didn't mean to sound like I was doubting you, by the way. I was just surprised. Sorry if that's how it came across)

No sweat, it didn’t come across that way. I know it’s a random one, and I had the link up because I went to double check myself before posting.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/10/18 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is macedonia even independent from Greece? If not, then I'm confused how this could be interpreted as a nationality. Wouldn't it be like saying you were playing for Texas?

- Amanda Gorman
awhom111

PostPosted: 09/10/18 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Is macedonia even independent from Greece? If not, then I'm confused how this could be interpreted as a nationality. Wouldn't it be like saying you were playing for Texas?

The long version:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macedonia_naming_dispute

Short version: not really that Macedonia, they are officially called FYROM in sporting events, maybe one day soon everyone will agree to call them North Macedonia
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/10/18 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the men's game they're actually pretty well established and have qualified for a bunch of tournaments; the women have done virtually nothing.

PostPosted: 09/11/18 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

The long version:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macedonia_naming_dispute

Short version: not really that Macedonia, they are officially called FYROM in sporting events, maybe one day soon everyone will agree to call them North Macedonia

thanks for the clarification

- Amanda Gorman
canadaball

PostPosted: 09/11/18 12:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I found Thibeau's appearance as a guest commentator very interesting. The way he was talking DelaD will be on this year's USA team (and he should know). This means that she must be improving daily with her knee injury, which might really help Wash in the Finals. He was really knowledgable about so much of women's basketball; no surprise there, of course, but he was pretty candid, which I found refreshing. For instance, in a positive way, he highlighted Plum's major weakness, which is shaky defense. He also emphasized the big ?, beyond ancient masked Bird,(sure to be tired after the tough playoff grind) at pg. I really see no obvious selection. Clarendon has good pg tools, but she cannot shoot from outside, and team USA is sure to see some sagging defenses, given its strong inside game (Coach T called it best ever). Sims seems to lack a good feel for pg, and Plum, as noted, is a weak defender. Sabrina is alluring, as a college star, but she looked horrible against the quick Canadian guards. Without mentioning specific names, Thibeau called out players (Diggy, Chelsea Gray, Jasmine Thomas) who have punted their pg chances on this team, and by implication, future Olympics.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/11/18 1:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
Without mentioning specific names, Thibeau called out players (Diggy, Chelsea Gray, Jasmine Thomas) who have punted their pg chances on this team, and by implication, future Olympics.

Why would he have any say or knowledge in that? Does he have any Olympics association?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
canadaball

PostPosted: 09/11/18 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
canadaball wrote:
Without mentioning specific names, Thibeau called out players (Diggy, Chelsea Gray, Jasmine Thomas) who have punted their pg chances on this team, and by implication, future Olympics.

Why would he have any say or knowledge in that? Does he have any Olympics association?

Thibeau is a former assistant Olympic coach (2008 Olympics), and, as they mentioned on broadcast, worked with the men's team in the early 1990's. He was mentioned prominently as a possible head coach when they went with Geno. He did say that he was traveling to Spain for the last 3 games.I am sure he has deep knowledgable insight in Olympic team doings.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 09/11/18 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Damn wish Gray had gone.

Maybe USA needs to pay its player so they don't play when there is a competition Confused

Shades

PostPosted: 09/11/18 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
Shades wrote:
canadaball wrote:

Thibeau is a former assistant Olympic coach (2008 Olympics), and, as they mentioned on broadcast, worked with the men's team in the early 1990's.

Ancient history.

canadaball wrote:
He was mentioned prominently as a possible head coach when they went with Geno.

I think they made the right choice.

canadaball wrote:
He did say that he was traveling to Spain for the last 3 games.

Like every other coach who has a player in the World Cup?

canadaball wrote:
I am sure he has deep knowledgable insight in Olympic team doings.

Not based on anything you just said. Now if Staley, Reeve, Hughes, or anybody closely associated with current USAB came out with a statement like that, it would hold more weight for me. But it seems like he was just giving his opinion like we do on this board. Could be a good opinion. Could be way off, like when he said Sue Bird was trying to intentionally foul at the end of Game #2.

Thibault has been sounding grumpy lately. I wonder why? He’s staring at an insurmountable 0-2 and yet another year of championship futility.

I love that Thibault gave his opinion, but it should be made clear that it’s just his opinion and not statement of authority.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 09/11/18 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure what to think as I am not used to watching USA on the sidelines showing little emotion, very little chemistry with the coach also showing little. At least Rizzotti and Reeve were trying to get the players going in the second halves but it didn’t seem like a national team.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/11/18 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Mike is the perfect one to give his opinion. The USA folks wouldn't dare to say that out loud because it wouldn't be PC.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 09/11/18 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
The USA folks wouldn't dare to say that out loud because it wouldn't be PC.

Not only wouldn’t it be PC, it wouldn’t necessarily be true. It’s all about winning. The squad we saw last night would probably get beat up by a full-strength Opals squad. That’s why the late-comers (some of which many here say should have retired) are important to the team.

Is USAB really going to say no to players who missed 2018 even if they feel they need them in 2020? I doubt it.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/11/18 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
The USA folks wouldn't dare to say that out loud because it wouldn't be PC.

Not only wouldn’t it be PC, it wouldn’t necessarily be true. It’s all about winning. The squad we saw last night would probably get beat up by a full-strength Opals squad. That’s why the late-comers (some of which many here say should have retired) are important to the team.

Is USAB really going to say no to players who missed 2018 even if they feel they need them in 2020? I doubt it.

Yes, but if they never have chosen those players in the past Team USA might not feel that they do need them. However if they had shown up in 18 been put on the Worlds team and did a great job maybe Team USA would realize they do need them.

And come 2020 if they are looking at those player vs someone like Plum or Sims who were there in 18 and it seems close enough being there in 18 might make the difference. (And yes it didn't help Sims in 14 but she wasn't going to knock off Bird, Whalen, DT or Augustus. This year there is a spot or two up for grabs and Sims showing up again is doing everything she needs to do for consideration.)

I'm not saying they won't chose somewhere who wasn't there, but being there would absolutely have helped there cause if they are looking towards being on the National team in 2020. OTOH maybe that isn't something these players are as interested in as we might assume.

Also you put Bird, DT, Stewie, EDD and Griner on last nights team and you win by 40+ so it probably isn't really a concern for team USA, or even a bad look for the players in question.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/11/18 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

I'm not saying they won't chose somewhere who wasn't there

Then we agree.

J-Spoon wrote:
but being there would absolutely have helped there cause if they are looking towards being on the National team in 2020.

That’s not what grumpy Thibault was saying. I believe the quote was “they’ve punted their chances”. Maybe he’s hoping that more Mystics get consideration in the future. There’s always some angle to be worked.

J-Spoon wrote:
Also you put Bird, DT, Stewie, EDD and Griner on last nights team and you win by 30+

We agree again. But weren’t you part of the old-timers-have-got-to-go sect? Now that people actually see how well a young inexperienced team play together, they suddenly feel differently.

J-Spoon wrote:
so it probably isn't really a concern for team USA, or even a bad look for the players in question.

Huh? Wait until they play some better teams. Let’s see what happens in the actual tournament.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/11/18 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually I was one of the very pro Bird in 16 when most were against it.

Post 16 Olympics I thought it would be good to get some new blood in there, but the retirement of Cathings and Whalen, injury to McCoughtry and possible retirement of Augustus from the National team come 2020 has opened up some opportunity for the younger players on the perimeter.

I don't think it is out of the question they take someone who isn't on this Worlds team at the PG spot, but I do think passing up this opportunity will hurt the chances of anyone who was in that position.

The fact that this team missing half its all-stars struggles until the 4th quarter isn't going to stop Plum or Sims or whoever from getting an 11th or 12th spot on the team. If Team USA loses in the Worlds competition that might bode better for the talent that didn't show up this time around, but if they sail through with one of these players as back up/back up PG or DD or Collier as a bench SF those players will be in good shape going into 2020 for consideration and much better shape than someone who has never been on the team not being there. Only the likes of Moore and Fowles can do a no show at the Worlds and still feel confident about a spot in 2020

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/11/18 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New moves: https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/09/wwc-16-finalists.aspx

Short version, they cut DeShields, Dolson, A.Gray and Sims. Leaves something like:

Plum/Clarendon
Taurasi/KMitchell
Collier/TMitchell
Wilson/Charles/Tuck
Griner/Ogwumike/E.Williams

with Bird, Stewart, Loyd and Delle Donne still in line to arrive later.

Last edited by Richyyy on 09/11/18 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
toad455

PostPosted: 09/11/18 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Assuming Delle Donne sits and the two Mitchells & Tuck get cut, there seems to be a strong chance Collier makes the roster due to the shortage of SFs. This will only boost her draft stock. wonder what happened to Sims & DeShields?

http://www.wnba.com/news/sixteen-finalists-named-for-2018-usa-basketball-womens-world-cup-team/?cid=wnba:socialowned:facebook:article:usab:91118

PG: Bird/Clarendon
SG: Taurasi/Loyd/Plum
SF: Stewart/Collier
PF: Charles/Ogwumike/Wilson
C: Griner/Williams

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 09/11/18 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SMH can't fathom what they are thinking, don't think this will have anything for future as it is actually showing weaknesses. DD is a head scratcher for sure and they basically have no SFs.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/11/18 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's just hard to believe that both Mitchells were kept and DeSheilds AND Sims got cut.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 09/11/18 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Totally agree, especially as we saw yesterday how they turned the game against Japan, Sims D and DD showed that she was the only one able to hit from outside of 5 feet.

I get T Mitch as she showed defensively that she was better on the court than the token college player.

Last edited by Nixtreefan on 09/11/18 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 09/11/18 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anybody else find it hilarious that two players who didn't even start for the worst team in the league, are still in the running?

DD is puzzling as she looked really good in the early scrimmage but played reduced minutes later...so it must be that subjective team chemistry thingie that is so hard to define.

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/11/18 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
DD is a head scratcher for sure and they basically have no SFs.

A reasonable interpretation would be that Collier beat out DeShields. That wouldn't surprise me. Collier takes care to take much higher quality shots than DD, thereby shooting a higher percentage, is a better positional rebounder, and has a better overall team play IQ.

Does Williams survive? If not, is Griner the only center? The team obviously needs the elite center skills of Teaira McCowan or Kalani Brown.

And SEVEN UConn "alums". The Geno Conspiracy persists!!!
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 09/11/18 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thats not what we saw as she can't hit from outside and always goes left. DD has an outside game and can make moves off the dribble both left and right. I thought she also was in control and passed when appropriate and attacked when she should. Plus she is far superior defensively and not a liability on the perimeter.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/11/18 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Thats not what we saw as she can't hit from outside and always goes left. DD has an outside game and can make moves off the dribble both left and right. I thought she also was in control and passed when appropriate and attacked when she should. Plus she is far superior defensively and not a liability on the perimeter.

My comments about Collier and DD were not limited to the recent two scrimmages, but are based on their entire careers since high school. Geno would take that perspective into consideration.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 17 of 23

Jump to: