RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Cory Booker Releases Confidential Emails

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 09/06/18 11:24 am    ::: Cory Booker Releases Confidential Emails Reply Reply with quote

He's definitely setting himself up for a run in 2020.

Quote:
New Jersey Democratic Sen. Cory Booker has released documents from Brett Kavanaugh's time as a White House staffer under President George W. Bush related to abortion and affirmative action
Read them here:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/06/politics/email-kavanaugh-release/index.html

PostPosted: 09/06/18 4:07 pm    ::: Re: Cory Booker Releases Confidential Emails Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:

Quote:
New Jersey Democratic Sen. Cory Booker has released documents from Brett Kavanaugh's time as a White House staffer under President George W. Bush related to abortion and affirmative action
Read them here:

Yes, that's definitely what Senator Booker and Senator Kamala Harris are doing with their grandstanding and theatrics at the hearing, which I'm watching every minute of.

As to the documents Booker claims he "released", they were made public last night by President Bush per request by Chairman Grassley.
calbearman76

PostPosted: 09/06/18 5:44 pm    ::: Re: Cory Booker Releases Confidential Emails Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Genero36 wrote:

Quote:
Read them here:

Yes, that's definitely what Senator Booker and Senator Kamala Harris are doing with their grandstanding and theatrics at the hearing, which I'm watching every minute of.

As to the documents Booker claims he "released", they were made public last night by President Bush per request by Chairman Grassley.

The timing of the release of the information is under some considerable question, and whether or not individual senators knew the information was publicly available is also a question. Had it been known that the information was released then Senator Cornyn would not have admonished Booker and threatened him with action by the Senate for his release.

To me what is more unsettling about this entire situation is that there was nothing in any way an issue of national security or otherwise worthy of confidentiality about this email. I suspect that the documents are being evaluated primarily on the basis of whether they are potentially embarrassing or politically problematic rather than whether there is any specific rationale for maintaining confidentiality. Not allowing the Senate, and the American people, to get a full sense of the man being put forward for the Supreme Court runs completely counter to previous precedent. If the Republicans want to push this through before the election they should be doing everything they can to make the hearings fair and complete. There is little question that they are instead acting as if they are desperately trying to sell a piece of fruit that is overly ripe and getting ready to spoil. They just the want to rush confirmation through before facts come out that can derail it.

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 09/06/18 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Talk about grandstanding. Cornyn's empty threat of possible expulsion from the senate was just silly. There is ZERO chance of that happening, as it takes 67 senators to kick Booker out. That means Democrats would have to vote for it. They aren't about to do that.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 09/06/18 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was more than a little disappointed that the best retort that Booker could come up with was "Bring it".
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/06/18 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Probably most senators (like Cornyn) didn't know what particular documents were released overnight because they never looked at them in their email, but there is reporting that Booker knew before he performed his "Spartacus" act.

Kavanaugh presented an unprecedented document situation because he was a White House employee for many years, as a lawyer and Bush's personal staff secretary, and hence had literally millions of documents cross his desk and inbox. All these documents are owned by George Bush and are potentially protected by presidential executive privilege or attorney-client privilege. That's the most likely reason they are not being disclosed by Bush's legal team. However, the senators seemed to be able to get any documents they specifically requested, such as Booker's.

Back to running for president, I think Booker will be a poor candidate. He talks too much, is too repetitive, tries too hard, flubs too much, and I think will appear like a jerk to too many voters. On the other hand, I think Kamala Harris is very appealing and is likely the strongest Democrat candidate candidate I've seen at this early stage.
Howee

PostPosted: 09/06/18 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Back to running for president, I think Booker will be a poor candidate. He talks too much, is too repetitive, tries too hard, flubs too much, and I think will appear like a jerk to too many voters.....

That certainly didn't seem to hinder our current president. Razz

PostPosted: 09/07/18 8:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Back to running for president, I think Booker will be a poor candidate. He talks too much, is too repetitive, tries too hard, flubs too much, and I think will appear like a jerk to too many voters.

It's almost like you didn't just see Donald Trump win an election ...

calbearman76

PostPosted: 09/07/18 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Probably most senators (like Cornyn) didn't know what particular documents were released overnight because they never looked at them in their email, but there is reporting that Booker knew before he performed his "Spartacus" act.

[b]Kavanaugh presented an unprecedented document situation because he was a White House employee for many years, as a lawyer and Bush's personal staff secretary, and hence had literally millions of documents cross his desk and inbox. All these documents are owned by George Bush and are potentially protected by presidential executive privilege or attorney-client privilege.[b] That's the most likely reason they are not being disclosed by Bush's legal team. However, the senators seemed to be able to get any documents they specifically requested, such as Booker's.

Back to running for president, I think Booker will be a poor candidate. He talks too much, is too repetitive, tries too hard, flubs too much, and I think will appear like a jerk to too many voters. On the other hand, I think Kamala Harris is very appealing and is likely the strongest Democrat candidate candidate I've seen at this early stage.

This was in no way unprecedented. Elaina Kagan was in the same situation and essentially all files were made available in advance of the hearings. The volume is different, but the precedent was set. But you are wrong to say that these documents are owned by Bush. They are owned by the American people. Cavanaugh was an attorney for the Presidency, not President Bush. The curating of these documents by an attorney with many Republican and current administration clients, including Steve Bannon is also highly questionable. These documents could have easily been produced and would have been under past administrations.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/08/18 12:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

[b]Kavanaugh presented an unprecedented document situation because he was a White House employee for many years, as a lawyer and Bush's personal staff secretary, and hence had literally millions of documents cross his desk and inbox. All these documents are owned by George Bush and are potentially protected by presidential executive privilege or attorney-client privilege.[b] That's the most likely reason they are not being disclosed by Bush's legal team. However, the senators seemed to be able to get any documents they specifically requested, such as Booker's.

This was in no way unprecedented. Elaina Kagan was in the same situation and essentially all files were made available in advance of the hearings. The volume is different, but the precedent was set. But you are wrong to say that these documents are owned by Bush. They are owned by the American people. Cavanaugh was an attorney for the Presidency, not President Bush. The curating of these documents by an attorney with many Republican and current administration clients, including Steve Bannon is also highly questionable. These documents could have easily been produced and would have been under past administrations.

Yes, by unprecedented, I meant the volume of documents is unprecedented. As of the start of the hearing, there had been more Kavanaugh documents produced to the committee than for the five previous nominees combined, about a half million. Then, tens of thousands more were produced during the hearing. However, this was all still stated to be but a small percent of Kavanaugh's White House documents.

There was great controversy and partisan fighting about the production of Kagan's documents, which totaled about 171,000, most of which were eventually produced. Someone at the hearing said that the Republicans never asked, however, for her documents when she was Solicitor General.

So I had to look up the Presidential Records Act. Under that law, a former president's papers are owned by the government (not the people) and they are managed by NARA. The former president can restrict access to broad categories of documents -- including all advice communicated to or from the president, or between presidential advisers (like Kavanaugh) -- for 12 years. Even after this period expires, the former president can assert legal privileges over any document that NARA intends to make public. In the case of the president, these privileges would be executive privilege and attorney-client privilege, as I said earlier.

Because of the unprecedented volume of Kavanaugh's White House papers, NARA told the Senate that it couldn't process all the requested papers for privilege or other restrictions before November. So, to speed up the process, the Judiciary Committee, in an agreement with President Bush, arranged to cut the NARA archivists out of the loop and have a Bush legal team screen the documents directly.

As part of the deal, the Bush team had the discretion to label documents "Committee Confidential", which meant the Judiciary Committee members could read them but not make them public. Booker's "racial profiling" email chain was one of these. Reportedly, Senator Mike Lee was the one who convinced the Bush team overnight to withdraw the "Committee Confidential" designation. Of course, Booker didn't really want that because he wanted to engage in his Spartacus stunt.

For the seven people who bothered to read through all this theatrical smoke, the email chain reveals that Kavanaugh was advising against any sort of racial profiling at airport screenings.
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 09/08/18 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kavanaugh was added to the (already bogus) list of SCOTUS choices by Traitor Trump for the sole purpose of saving TT's ass from the Robert (true american hero) Mueller investigation.

He's already lied under oath to Congress and is an overall schmuck.

PostPosted: 09/08/18 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Kavanaugh was added to the (already bogus) list of SCOTUS choices by Traitor Trump for the sole purpose of saving TT's ass from the Robert (true american hero) Mueller investigation.

Oh please. Trump made no list. He was given a list by GOP leadership. There's no swamp drainage going on here.

PostPosted: 09/10/18 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Oh please. Trump made no list. He was given a list by GOP leadership. There's no swamp drainage going on here.

Not sure what your swamp comment has to do with my comment. A reference to Mueller as TAH?

PostPosted: 09/10/18 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
pilight wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Not sure what your swamp comment has to do with my comment. A reference to Mueller as TAH?

I'm saying you're giving Trump too much credit. Kavanaugh was chosen by the GOP elites.

PostPosted: 09/10/18 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
pilight wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

I'm saying you're giving Trump too much credit. Kavanaugh was chosen by the GOP elites.

Ok, but who thinks there's swamp drainage going on?

PostPosted: 09/10/18 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
pilight wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
pilight wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Deplorables

PostPosted: 09/10/18 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
pilight wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
pilight wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Deplorables

Why do you think Kavanaugh was added to the list?

PostPosted: 09/19/18 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
pilight wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

By GOP elites, do you mean the NRA, the Koch cabal, or Putin, because McTurtle was apparently against this nomination.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: