RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Colin Kaepernick Is Chosen For Nike's Anniversary Campaign
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 09/04/18 10:10 am    ::: Colin Kaepernick Is Chosen For Nike's Anniversary Campaign Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
With his decision two summers ago to not stand for the national anthem, Colin Kaepernick became the face of a protest movement in the NFL against racial injustice and police brutality. Now, the former quarterback has become a face of one of the most iconic advertising campaigns in the history of sports: Nike's "Just Do It" campaign.

An early image from the campaign made its debut on Monday with a tweet from Kaepernick. The advertisement shows a black-and-white image of the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback. The text on top of the image reads: "Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything."

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/04/644418160/colin-kaepernick-is-chosen-for-nikes-anniversary-just-do-it-campaign

PostPosted: 09/04/18 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Big & Rich singer urges Nike boycott over Colin Kaepernick ad: 'Reebok, here we come'

Quote:
"Hey @Nike I guess you made @Kaepernick7 your new 'face' of the brand because you love the way his socks look with your shoes? @Reebok here we come."

Rich, one half of the Big & Rich and owner of Lower Broadway's Redneck Riviera honky-tonk, followed it up with a picture of his soundman after cutting out the Nike logo from his socks.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/celebrity/big-and-rich-singer-urges-nike-boycott-over-colin-kaepernick-ad-reebok-here-we-come/ar-BBMRgsg?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

Yeah. Redneck sounds about right.

PostPosted: 09/04/18 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nike customers destroy products in response to Kaepernick ad campaign

Quote:
Dozens of videos and photos went viral in the hours that followed of social media users burning their Nike products, tearing them up or placing them in the trash in protest of the company's decision to tap Kaepernick for its ad campaign.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/404907-kaepernick-ad-campaign-prompts-customers-to-destroy-nike-products

PostPosted: 09/04/18 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LeBron shows support for Kaepernick’s new Nike campaign

Quote:
LeBron James has been one of many vocal supporters of former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick for some time now. James has been part of the Nike brand for even longer. So when Nike made the blackballed exiled quarterback the face of their new Just Do It. campaign, it was a combination made in a LeBron dream.

As James winds down his aptly named 'More Than An Athlete' world tour, he shared the new ad that highlights Kaepernick's sacrifice of his career for protesting the killing and mistreatment of black americans by law enforcement.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/lebron-shows-support-for-kaepernick%E2%80%99s-new-nike-campaign/ar-BBMQ4xE?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

PostPosted: 09/04/18 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything."
Yeah, including your shareholders and customers apparently!

Why any company would take a political stance one way or another is a mystery I will never understand. Michael Jordan must be shaking his head today.

Genero36

PostPosted: 09/04/18 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nike shares dip as Kaepernick ad spurs boycott

Quote:
Shares of Nike Inc fell 3 percent on Tuesday as calls for a boycott of the sportswear giant gained traction on social media following its choice of Colin Kaepernick as a face for the 30th anniversary of its "Just Do It" slogan.

Quote:
Over 30,000 people were tweeting with the hashtag #NikeBoycott on Tuesday morning U.S. eastern time, making it among the top trending topics on Twitter. Some posted images of themselves burning and ripping their Nike shoes and apparel.

"First the @NFL forces me to choose between my favorite sport and my country. I chose country," Twitter user @sclancy79 said in a post retweeted 16,000 times. "Then @Nike forces me to choose between my favorite shoes and my country. Since when did the American Flag and the National Anthem become offensive?"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/nike-shares-dip-as-kaepernick-ad-spurs-boycott/ar-BBMR85G?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

I'll tell you when you tone deaf, obtuse racist motherfucker. When there was Native American genocide. When there was slavery. When ALL minorities couldn't vote.

Unless, you're a White man, why in the hell would you think America has always been great?

Time for me to get my wallet and support Nike.

PostPosted: 09/04/18 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nike has come along way since the child labor issues..

PostPosted: 09/04/18 1:45 pm    ::: Re: Colin Kaepernick Is Chosen For Nike's Anniversary Campai Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/L_fCVIGnHng" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_fCVIGnHng

PostPosted: 09/04/18 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not boycotting Nike. I would never boycott them for something like who they choose to put in their ads.

But what I would like explained to me is why everyone seems to think that Kaepernick deserves a job in the NFL?

If I recall correctly, when last employed by a team, he wasn't all that damn good to begin with.

And if he's free to express his opinion (which I have no problem with), teams are free to not hire him because they don't want to deal with the increased crap that comes along with having him on the team.

No one is entitled to a job in the NFL simply because they want to be there.
justintyme

PostPosted: 09/04/18 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Having just watched preseason football, are you telling me that a player who took a team to the Superbowl, has a career passer rating of 88.9, and is a dual threat QB with all the physical markers coaches/GMs salivate over, is not as good of a player as these backups that we saw play? That he isn't better than Josh freaking McCown? No, he is not Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady, but he is a QB who has had success in the league.

So why does he deserve a job in the NFL? Because he is someone who is better than many of those that do have a job, doesn't beat women or children, isn't a rapist, and has not broken any NFL rules. Why shouldn't he be employed?

PostPosted: 09/04/18 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is a difference between teams deciding that Kaepernick is not worth the trouble, and intentionally black balling him. From what I understand, there is significant evidence of the latter.

I also have to give a side-eye to the league that doesn’t seem to have an issue with rapists and domestic abusers, but the gay guy and anti-police brutality activist are a “team distraction.”

PostPosted: 09/04/18 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
So why does he deserve a job in the NFL? Because he is someone who is better than many of those that do have a job, doesn't beat women or children, isn't a rapist, and has not broken any NFL rules. Why shouldn't he be employed?

He could easily out-qualify any number of quarterbacks currently on rosters in the NFL.

mercfan3 wrote:
I also have to give a side-eye to the league that doesn’t seem to have an issue with rapists and domestic abusers, but the gay guy and anti-police brutality activist are a “team distraction.”

Really. This *sport* is a bastion of testosterone-based atrocities, from long-term brain injuries, to criminalities that are glossed over. It would be delicious to see this entire movement grow into the cracking of a very rotten egg. I applaud Nike, and have no doubt they will reap more positives (money, even) than they might lose to the initial outrage.

PostPosted: 09/05/18 7:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This all could have been avoided if we all had protested the singing of the anthem before sporting events. It’s not a military parade, it’s a game.

Howee

PostPosted: 09/05/18 7:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Puma and Adidas wanted him first, it seems.... Shocked

PostPosted: 09/05/18 7:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Puma and Adidas wanted him first, it seems.... Shocked

I suspect that we will either see Kaepernick Nike ads or if they bomb, this fact might be getting a lot more publicity in the future - in Nike ads. Wink

Stonington_QB

PostPosted: 09/05/18 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Johnny Manziel isn't in the league and I don't see anyone whining about it. And he didn't even walk away from his salary and quit his job under contract.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 09/05/18 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From former WNBA player Janel McCarville’s Facebook page...

Quote:
All of this boycott Nike shit is ridiculous! We have to do better! Reguardless of race, gender, religion - we have to be better!

Trying to say using Colin in Nike add is wrong is ridiculous. He took a stance and decided to take a knee. He got black balled outta his job for something he believed in. Black people love him, white people hate/fear him.

Ignorance.

Now you go in to say Nike should have used Pat Tillman. He is a real hero.. ?!? He served his country and sadly was shot and killed by friendly fire! Let me put it clearer - he was killed by his own team!

People make choices all the time! Every damn day... we need to make better choices as the human race and just fucking love one another.

Imagine, walking outta your home and saying hi to everyone you meet. Waving, giving a head nod...
everyone these days are keyboard super men/women.. quick to judge after never been in someone’s else’s shoes..

Ughz... this post is prolly going un noticed because people are pretty set in their ways. Not gonna change anyone’s mind who doesn’t want it to be changed.

MAGA? Was it ever that great?

For me it was when I was a child on the family ranch... no politics, no bullshit.. a loving family and awesome friends. Friends of all races/religions!!!!

Now, we are a nation divided! Fucking sad! Do better people. Love thy neighbor! If not, fuck off.... I am tired of your ignorance.

JM

Disagree? Feel free to delete me

PostPosted: 09/05/18 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
Johnny Manziel isn't in the league and I don't see anyone whining about it. And he didn't even walk away from his salary and quit his job under contract.

Johnny Manziel was given numerous chances to perform at an NFL level and he failed every time. It's like complaining that Paxton Lynch just got cut. Neither Manziel nor Lynch are better QBs than anyone else in the league. The same is not true about Kaepernick. But good job with the pointless comparison.

As for your second point, don't you ever get tired of repeating incorrect information from dubious sources?

Kap did not "quit his job under contract", rather he exercised his opt out clause (this was no longer under contract). And he did this because the team was going to cut him.

PostPosted: 09/05/18 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Go Janel.

I will be willing to predict that in 50 years Kaepernick will have a similar status to that of Rosa Parks for the attention this has brought, what it has cost him, and the disgusting backlash that it has wrought. The MAGA area will be reviled as a Jim Crow II era, a stain upon this country that people will look back upon in shame. But go ahead and burn your Nikes, people. History will judge you more than we ever could.

PostPosted: 09/05/18 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
But what I would like explained to me is why everyone seems to think that Kaepernick deserves a job in the NFL?

If I recall correctly, when last employed by a team, he wasn't all that damn good to begin with.

FiveThirtyEight had a piece in August 2017 about Kapernick, his performance, etc.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/colin-kaepernick-is-not-supposed-to-be-unemployed/

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 09/05/18 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:

FiveThirtyEight had a piece in August 2017 about Kapernick, his performance, etc.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/colin-kaepernick-is-not-supposed-to-be-unemployed/

Thank you for the link. I will read it and see if it changes my mind.

Oh and for everyone else, still haven't burned my Nikes.
Youth Coach

PostPosted: 09/05/18 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:

Thank you for the link. I will read it and see if it changes my mind.

Oh and for everyone else, still haven't burned my Nikes.
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 09/05/18 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
I will be willing to predict that in 50 years Kaepernick will have a similar status to that of Rosa Parks for the attention this has brought, what it has cost him, and the disgusting backlash that it has wrought. The MAGA area will be reviled as a Jim Crow II era, a stain upon this country that people will look back upon in shame. But go ahead and burn your Nikes, people. History will judge you more than we ever could.

X_____________

The #magamoron reaction has been, naturally, pathetic.

PostPosted: 09/06/18 10:38 am    ::: Re: Colin Kaepernick Is Chosen For Nike's Anniversary Campai Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 09/06/18 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also from Nike's second video release for the campaign, with images of Serena Williams:

"And if you are a girl from Compton, don't just become a tennis player. Become the greatest athlete ever. Yeah. Thats more like it."

LOVE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: