Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix Mercury 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 09/05/18 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
root_thing wrote:

These young players may very well turn out to be really good down the road, but if teams are looking for immediate help they're probably not the answer.

Well it’s the #8 pick and PHX has a decent squad. Which prospect that may be available at #8 are you anticipating would be immediately impactful to PHX?

The #8 pick in a good draft can certainly be a rotation player. I'm not particularly focused on Phoenix, but other people have mentioned Anigwe and Cunningham. Right now, they certainly look more ready to contribute than Magbegor. And remember, Phoenix has #13. If the theory is that Brondello feels compelled to take Magbegor because of their Australian connection, then there's no reason why Sandy can't wait until #13. No other coach/GM has that extra incentive.

PostPosted: 09/05/18 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#8 and Steph Talbot to NY for Tina Charles Laughing

PostPosted: 09/05/18 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
1. Find a starting PF
2. Deepen the bench.
3. Find a legit back-up for Griner.

Can they get a PF in the draft at #8? Magbegor?

PG: January/Mitchell
SG: Taurasi/Turner
SF: Bonner/Talbot/Musina?
PF: Magbegor/Peters
C: Griner/???

Per Howard Medgal, Camille Little is under contract for 2019 at 100k, which can hamper free agency. I do not yet have an opinion as to the accuracy of Medgal's information (the articles I searched regarding Little's re-signing did not make mention of whether the deal was a multi-year one, as they did for Mitchell and Griner).

Yvonne Turner proved, in the playoffs, she has potential to be a scoring option. The question is whether she can do it as a bench player or is it only limited to when she is the 5th option (or 4th option) in the starting lineup.

I liked Talbot's progression this year, and I am hoping she takes the next step.

That being said, Talbot is the only player on Phoenix's roster who was a draft pick between 2014 and 2017. Four drafts yielded one current player on the roster (yes, there were trades, but you see my point). Phoenix needs to develop young players and cannot rely solely on free agency.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 09/05/18 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
1. Find a starting PF
2. Deepen the bench.
3. Find a legit back-up for Griner.

Can they get a PF in the draft at #8? Magbegor?

PG: January/Mitchell
SG: Taurasi/Turner
SF: Bonner/Talbot/Musina?
PF: Magbegor/Peters
C: Griner/???

Per Howard Medgal, Camille Little is under contract for 2019 at 100k, which can hamper free agency. I do not yet have an opinion as to the accuracy of Medgal's information (the articles I searched regarding Little's re-signing did not make mention of whether the deal was a multi-year one, as they did for Mitchell and Griner).

Yvonne Turner proved, in the playoffs, she has potential to be a scoring option. The question is whether she can do it as a bench player or is it only limited to when she is the 5th option (or 4th option) in the starting lineup.

I liked Talbot's progression this year, and I am hoping she takes the next step.

That being said, Talbot is the only player on Phoenix's roster who was a draft pick between 2014 and 2017. Four drafts yielded one current player on the roster (yes, there were trades, but you see my point). Phoenix needs to develop young players and cannot rely solely on free agency.

Seriously?

Would anyone want Little?

PostPosted: 09/05/18 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Seriously?

Someone with acres of cap room might. She still plays hard and could give you some minutes over a regular season. But I doubt anyone's taking her until they've exhausted other options.

PostPosted: 09/05/18 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Seriously?

Someone with acres of cap room might. She still plays hard and could give you some minutes over a regular season. But I doubt anyone's taking her until they've exhausted other options.

I could never see why the Mercury wanted her in the first place and it seemed to me they overpaid for her.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/05/18 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Seriously?

Chicago?

- Amanda Gorman
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/05/18 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Seriously?

Chicago?

I mean, plausibly, sure. But even once they find someone to run the team, they've got a lot of things higher up the priority list. And probably a lot of options they'd rather fill their power forward spot with.

PostPosted: 09/06/18 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Mercury also have a way of dumping their point guards after one season.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 09/06/18 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Mercury also have a way of dumping their point guards after one season.

sigur3

PostPosted: 09/06/18 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Seriously?

Chicago?

No thanks

Tally24

PostPosted: 09/09/18 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I want Cunningham and Taurasi on the same court. Swagger through the roof. DT can mentor Cunningham on how to channel all those emotions Laughing
Shades

PostPosted: 10/04/18 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PayPal is getting a patch on the Phoenix Suns jersey (unusual for NBA teams). It’ll show up on the Mercury jerseys as well. It looks like PayPal will be the official payment system of Phoenix basketball.

https://www.adweek.com/digital/paypal-is-sponsoring-the-phoenix-suns-for-the-2018-2019-season/

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 10/04/18 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
DT can mentor Cunningham on how to channel all those emotions Laughing

I doubt she’ll need any help with that.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/04/18 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At least half the NBA has these sponsor patches now: https://www.forbes.com/sites/zacglover/2017/09/12/here-are-the-14-nba-teams-that-now-have-jersey-sponsorship-deals/ . It's the NBA dipping their toes in the water of turning their jersey space over to sponsorship, without taking the criticism they'd face for going as far as the WNBA has (plus their loss from jersey sales would be way, way higher).

This feels like one of those things that can go in the books as rewarding the WNBA franchise as much or as little as the organisation likes. Could imagine the WNBPA's accountants questioning things like that when they get a look at the books.

But any new sponsorship income for any of the teams is always good news.

PostPosted: 12/18/18 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The 2019 schedule will see the Mercury play 34 games in 108 days, 17 at home and 17 on the road, and zero back-to-back sets.

Quote:
Thirteen of the Mercury’s 17 home games will be played on the weekend—six on Friday, one on Saturday and six on Sunday.

https://mercury.wnba.com/news/mercury-announce-2019-regular-season-schedule/

pilight

PostPosted: 01/08/19 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Todd Troxel fired

http://www.hoopfeed.com/content/2019/01/08/phoenix-mercury-fires-assistant-coach-todd-troxel-after-team-investigates-domestic-violence-incident/

PostPosted: 01/08/19 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Todd Troxel fired

http://www.hoopfeed.com/content/2019/01/08/phoenix-mercury-fires-assistant-coach-todd-troxel-after-team-investigates-domestic-violence-incident/

Why did they hire an outside investigation? Why did it take them months to do anything?

sportsfan48

PostPosted: 01/08/19 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Todd Troxel fired

Why did they hire an outside investigation? Why did it take them months to do anything?

Let me see....

I think the Mercury were wise to hire an outside, unbiased investigation. Liability comes to mind right off the bat as well as being able to make an educated and informed decision.

What Troxel is accused of doing is not to be taken likely and has no excuses but unless I have missed something we still live in a country where someone is innocent until proven guilty. A report on the internet is not proof of guilt, yet many want to send people to the gallows as soon as they read something they don't like. And usually it is because what is being reported is disgusting. I understand that, but just because it is disgusting doesn't mean that you should jump to the guilty stage without due diligence.

The incident happened on 11/30. It took the police until 12/28 to formally charge Troxel, probably because they needed to do their investigation as well. He still has not been proven guilty in a court of law.

The time frame is hardly months. Maybe the Mercury could have done something on 12/28 when he was charged. But they may not have been able to finish their internal investigation until today.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/08/19 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sportsfan48 wrote:

What Troxel is accused of doing is not to be taken likely and has no excuses but unless I have missed something we still live in a country where someone is innocent until proven guilty. A report on the internet is not proof of guilt, yet many want to send people to the gallows as soon as they read something they don't like. And usually it is because what is being reported is disgusting. I understand that, but just because it is disgusting doesn't mean that you should jump to the guilty stage without due diligence.

Employers aren’t held to the “innocent until proven guilty” standard. This is demonstrated with the similar incidents in the NFL.

miller40

PostPosted: 01/09/19 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sportsfan48 wrote:
miller40 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Todd Troxel fired

Let me see....

I think the Mercury were wise to hire an outside, unbiased investigation. Liability comes to mind right off the bat as well as being able to make an educated and informed decision.

The incident happened on 11/30. It took the police until 12/28 to formally charge Troxel, probably because they needed to do their investigation as well. He still has not been proven guilty in a court of law.

The time frame is hardly months. Maybe the Mercury could have done something on 12/28 when he was charged. But they may not have been able to finish their internal investigation until today.

Oh man, you’re right, 11/30 wasn’t months ago. My bad, I feel like I’ve lived five lives since then though, lol.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 01/09/19 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also he is pretty close with players like Taurasi and Griner. So yeah doesnt come as a shock that they start a serious investigation first before firing him.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
sportsfan48

PostPosted: 01/12/19 3:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
sportsfan48 wrote:

Employers aren’t held to the “innocent until proven guilty” standard. This is demonstrated with the similar incidents in the NFL.

I am not really familiar with the NFL incidents but I doubt any professional team would react to any situation based on news reports and internet communication only. And once they do their investigation using whatever means they choose and find that the individual in the investigation has violated league and/or team rules, they will take action. And I realize that the determination that those league and/or team rules do not necessarily constitute breaking a legislative law. I realize that much of the action a team or business may take is based on negative perception and rightly so, I just don't think it is wise to rush into an uninformed decision based off news and/or internet sources.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/15/19 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Other [cored] players include Courtney Vandersloot (Chicago), Jasmine Thomas (Connecticut), DeWanna Bonner (Phoenix) and Glory Johnson (Dallas).

Quote:

Top unrestricted free agents include Chicago's Allie Quigley, Minnesota's Rebekkah Brunson and Seimone Augustus, Los Angeles' Alana Beard and Phoenix's Briann January. All four are expected to re-sign with their teams. Other unrestricted free agents include Essence Carson (Los Angeles), Crystal Langhorne (Seattle) and Epiphanny Prince (New York).

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/25764476/all-stars-maya-moore-tina-charles-given-franchise-tags-report-says

pilight

PostPosted: 01/15/19 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All four of those five players are expected to re-sign with their teams? Confused

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: