RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2018 Team USA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 09/01/18 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Collier going camping down south this weekend
http://www.journalinquirer.com/sports/collier-going-camping-down-south-this-weekend/article_c8dd6de4-ada1-11e8-bfbd-3f0b0d5f3f31.html

Quote:
“I want her to hang on as long as possible,” UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. “I told Pheesa, ‘Don’t go there to be fodder for the WNBA players. Go there to try and make the team.”

Quote:
There may be other withdrawals according to Auriemma, who serves as a special advisor to the selection committee.

How convenient for any young UConn players. If Collier actually makes this team, I’ll be more outraged than SpaceJunkie.

Quote:
“There are a lot of players who choose not to participate when it comes to the world championships,” Auriemma said. “So it’s a great time for Pheesa to go there and make an impression on the committee. They need to put together a really good team to play in the world championships. I think there are opportunities for Pheesa and the other young players.”

Mhm

Quote:
The camp participants, guided by South Carolina coach and three-time Olympic gold medalist Dawn Staley, will work out Monday and Tuesday then hold a USA Red-White Game at Colonial Life Arena in Columbia on Wednesday. After taking Thursday off, they’ll head north and practice in Tarrytown, New York, Friday. A week from tonight, Team USA will face Kia Nurse and Team Canada at Bridgeport’s Webster Bank Arena.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 09/01/18 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
How convenient for any young UConn players. If Collier actually makes this team, I’ll be more outraged than SpaceJunkie.

Shades, what are the odds that Reeve will fall in love with one or more of Collier, Shepard, and/or the quality guard from Notre Dame, that she'll end up drafting one of them? And, if so should I be outraged or not?

Shades

PostPosted: 09/01/18 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s probably a good thing that she sees them in camp. I trust her evaluation skills more if she actually sees them up close and personal. She’ll get to see how short Collier is and figure out she’s no PF and that’s what they need foremost. If she thinks Shepard is worthy despite all the outside stuff, then maybe that’s the way to go if she’s the best available. I think there could be something better available at #6 but can you do.

Getting Chiney for some kind package deal involving the #6 pick would be the ultimate.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 09/01/18 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
It’s probably a good thing that she sees them in camp. I trust her evaluation skills more if she actually sees them up close and personal. She’ll get to see how short Collier is and figure out she’s no PF and that’s what they need foremost. If she thinks Shepard is worthy despite all the outside stuff, then maybe that’s the way to go if she’s the best available. I think there could be something better available at #6 but can you do.

Getting Chiney for some kind package deal involving the #6 pick would be the ultimate.

But Reeve is the same person who should be seeing how good her own players on the Lynx are, but she discards of them easily so she can sign old players based on how well they played against the Lynx 5 or 6 years ago instead. Smile
I demand the Lynx draft a PF at pick #6 too or SpaceJunkie Outrage Levels may hit unprecedented levels. As a person who nicknames Shepard "3-13" based on the conference record she led Nebraska to as a sophomore, I'm probably "asking" for her to end up on the Lynx, even if there's better draft prospects out there. Smile

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/01/18 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I compared the lists. Names in the overall pool, but not listed as part of this squad or potential later additions following playoff participation are:
Augustus,
Diggins-Smith,
Durr,
Fowles,
C.Gray,
McBride,
McCoughtry,
Moore,
C.Ogwumike,
Samuelson,
Sykes,
J.Thomas,
Wiese.

So they're all presumably out of the World Cup. That leaves something like:

‌Bird
‌Charles
‌Clarendon
‌Collier
‌Delle Donne
‌Dolson
‌Gray,A
‌Griner
‌Hayes
‌Loyd
‌Mitchell,T
‌Mitchell,K
‌Ogwumike,N
‌Plum
‌Sims
‌Stewart
‌Taurasi
‌Tuck
‌Williams,E
‌Wilson,A

Plus, also invited to camp:
DeShields
Harris,T
Hebard
Ionescu
Ogunbowale
Shepard

If someone else wants to parse this all into positional options, that'd be nice. I'm in the middle of nowhere with limited tech right now.

PostPosted: 09/02/18 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

if above is the list the team comes from maybe something like

Bird/Sims/Ionescu
Taurasi/Loyd
EDD*/Hayes
Stewart/N. Ogwumike/Wilson
Griner/Charles

last picks comes down to Ionescu, K. Mitchell and Plum ie who is the PG of the future pick (even though they are all kind of 2s but probably have to play point on the National Team and in the W).

Are we sure that you have to be in this camp or the playoffs to make the team? I realize Worlds is soon but if someone like Moore or Fowles wanted to be on the team but wanted a post playoff break wouldn't they still be pretty automatic to make the team? And even though they have never been on the National Team if C. Gray or Diggins-Smith are in consideration to get a PG spot in 2020 I would think they might still get the spot over the younger players in this camp even if they sat out this last camp before naming the team. Though that does seem like a risky move unless they have some sort of minor injury as this is the last camp before naming the team I assume.

*Also if EDD's injury prevents her from going I wonder who gets her spot? I will go with Deshields.

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 09/02/18 12:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She won’t make the team, but interesting to point out Harris made this tryout squad. If Geno was coaching and Dangerfield made this squad the posts would be flowing.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/02/18 1:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Are we sure that you have to be in this camp or the playoffs to make the team?

Based on how the USABasketball release is written at https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/09/wnt-training-roster-usc.aspx it sure seems like the Worlds squad is coming from that group. No mention of why the likes of Diggins-Smith, McBride, Gray etc. apparently aren't showing up, though.

I don't know much about some of the college options, but I think we're left with something like:

Bird/Sims/Plum/Clarendon/Ionescu/Harris
Taurasi/Loyd/Hayes/K.Mitchell/T.Mitchell/Ogunbowale
Delle Donne/A.Gray/DeShields
Stewart/Charles/Wilson/Collier/Tuck/Hebard
Griner/N.Ogwumike/E.Williams/Dolson/Shepard

They're a little thin on true 3s, but it's not like three-guard lineups are going to kill them...

PostPosted: 09/02/18 3:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So based on geno's words Maya and Fowles decided to take the worlds off. Without Fowles doesnt really matter because you have Griner and then Charles at the 5 so not really a dropoff there and there will be plenty of minutes for Stewart and Nneka backing her up at the 4. EDD at the 3 instead of Maya or Angel can provide some challenges because Maya(and Angel) can handle smaller perimeter players better and also switched to the 2 sometimes.

But what happened with Diggins and C Gray? I cant see both of them deciding not to play aswell because future with team USA might depend on this. It was their ultimate chance with Whalen retiring.

If i had to choose between Plum or Sims backing up Bird then it would be Plum for sure.
Hayes as a backup SF is not really a problem against smaller teams and for sure isnt a problem when DT is on the floor too because she can take the bigger defensive matchup and with Griner defending the basket who doesnt have to worry about the defensive 3 second rule

Bird, Plum
Taurasi, Loyd
EDD, Hayes
Stewart, Nneka
Griner, Charles

So 2 spots left and maybe 3 if EDD is not healthy.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/02/18 4:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With Gray and Diggins-Smith apparently out of the picture, I'd be sorely tempted to find room for Ionescu as the third PG (whoever the second one is). She has the potential to be very, very good, and at the very least you make her ineligible to decide playing for Romania might be worthwhile (if she's even still eligible to switch at this point).

PostPosted: 09/02/18 8:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My twelve would be:

PG: Bird/Sims/Ionescu
SG: Hayes/Loyd
SF: Taurasi/DeShields
PF: Stewart/Charles/Wilson/
C: Griner/N.Ogwumike

They lock in Ionescu, Wilson & DeShields for the future. Loyd makes it by Delle Donne sitting out due to her knee. E. Williams could make it over N. Ogwumike if she's not 100%.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 09/02/18 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
With Gray and Diggins-Smith apparently out of the picture, I'd be sorely tempted to find room for Ionescu as the third PG (whoever the second one is). She has the potential to be very, very good, and at the very least you make her ineligible to decide playing for Romania might be worthwhile (if she's even still eligible to switch at this point).

Fast-tracking Ionescu is a very progressive and interesting idea.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/02/18 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even With Accomplished Resume, Dawn Staley Still Learning, Working to Improve

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/09/staley-feature.aspx

Quote:
Staley confronts multiple challenges in September. The first is trying to adequately prepare her team to win a world title despite spending so little time together. The second is that many of her players will have just finished a WNBA season and might be banged up.

Quote:
She is more concerned about the lack of preparation time. She said she will focus her energy on making sure everyone is on the same page for those times that come along in a tournament when an opponent is making a run or maybe even takes a lead.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/03/18 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They've added a roster page for the training camp now, which adds Hayes, Stewart, Taurasi and E.Williams to the list of 18, but not Bird, Delle Donne, Griner or Loyd. Might not mean anything, but odd.

https://www.usab.com/womens/national-team/roster/2018-wc-training.aspx

PostPosted: 09/03/18 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/03/18 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now I'm wondering why four of them have a slightly different design of uniform.

PostPosted: 09/03/18 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Now I'm wondering why four of them have a slightly different design of uniform.

Newbies wearing low numbers usually given to the more senior members.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/03/18 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Team USA often includes the top college player for the World Championships, so adding Ionescu would make a lot of sense.

zune69

PostPosted: 09/03/18 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I remember telling people not to read too much into Diamond being left off the previous USA invitee lists......People would go on and on about how Diamond was a malcontent with a bad attitude.

ucbart

PostPosted: 09/03/18 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To me, players that aren't injured and don't care to show up, shouldn't be considered going forward. Take Skylar for instance....she doesn't play overseas and if she's not inured, how much rest does she need?

Shades

PostPosted: 09/03/18 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/09/new-and-notes-sept-3.aspx

Quote:
Athletes rising through the junior ranks hoped that one day they’d be able to don a red USA jersey. For six athletes at camp, that day was today.

Diamond DeShields (Chicago Sky)
Tyasha Harris (University of South Carolina)

Ruthy Hebard (University of Oregon)
Sabrina Ionescu (University of Oregon)
Arike Ogunbowale (University of Notre Dame)
Jessica Shepard (University of Notre Dame)

Each proudly entered the gym in the iconic USA National Team uniform and the significance of the day was not lost on them.

“It was an amazing feeling, because I played on two younger USA Basketball teams, and they wear navy, of course,” beamed Harris. “And when I put the red on, and everybody is like, ‘Oh, first time wearing red!’ So, it was just an exciting feeling.”

I separated the bottom 4 players on this list since they match the 4 players with the slightly different uniform in the above picture.

Q & A’s
Dawn Staley
Quote:
As players get knocked out of the WNBA playoffs, are you hoping the national team players show up the next day?
That’s the best-case scenario, but we know that won’t happen. If they get knocked out tomorrow, hopefully we will see them maybe in D.C. They have to go back and back, and they have exit meetings and all that. So, best-case scenario would be for them to join us in D.C.

Hoping the Mystics move onto the Finals?

Quote:
What is it like to have four Gamecocks out there?
It’s the best. I think for me, it helps with familiarity to see some of your players out there. They know what plays we’re running, so they don’t stick out like a sore thumb – none of them did today, which is always a great thing to see. Because they all have aspirations to play in the WNBA and playing on this level, and what better way to do than in this setting.

Geno V2.0

Diamond DeShields
Quote:
What would you bring to the USA World Cup Team?
Obviously, my athleticism on the wing, my ability to defend. I feel like I can be one of the best defenders in the league, in the world, and I think that would be the first thing for me. Obviously, we have a lot of scorers. That’s what USA Basketball always has. I can score, too. But, that’ll be secondary to my defense.

Quote:
You played for Jen Rizzotti on the 2011 USA U19 World Cup Team. What is it like being back out here, having her as one of your coaches?
When I was young, I was a knucklehead, and coach Jen was always on me. I was actually laughing with Morgan Tuck and Stefanie (Dolson) about it and some of the practices we had with coach Jen. Specifically, the encounters she and I had at practice (laughing). But, it’s good. It’s all fun. I’ve come a long way since then. It’s nice to be here with somebody familiar who can see my growth. I’m just happy to see her.

I wonder where she picked up that term? Laughing It should be somebody other than herself (or some of her other biggest fans) declaring how far she has come from her knucklehead days.

Sabrina Ionescu
Quote:
What were your biggest adjustments today as a player?
Just the physicality of the game. That and the overall speed of the game is a lot different than what you’re used to in college. I think at every level, it just gets harder and harder, and they were just definitely a lot stronger, quicker and had a better understanding of the game and adjustments. They helped me through that, and they showed great leadership. So, it was nice for me to be out there playing with them.

Nneka Ogwumike
Quote:
As one of the more veteran players out here, have any of the younger players asked you for advice or are you simply leading by example?
I’ve always been a person who leads by example, but I’ve become more vocal in the latter part of my career. I know that as a post player it’s a little different, because you’re not really directing the floor. But, you can still be a leader in a lot of different ways. So, I kind of feel the role now, with the group that we have.

Might have to pencil Nneka into the lineup since she has taken the reins as a leader.

Last edited by Shades on 09/03/18 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/03/18 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
They've added a roster page for the training camp now, which adds Hayes, Stewart, Taurasi and E.Williams to the list of 18, but not Bird, Delle Donne, Griner or Loyd. Might not mean anything, but odd.

For what it's worth, Doug Feinberg says that it was just 'a cut and paste error'. Not sure how you add four names scattered through the alphabet to a roster page and leave four off, but he's usually very reliable.

PostPosted: 09/03/18 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You now have to wonder if Bird may sit out with her broken nose. Who starts at PG?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 09/04/18 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

Not seeing Hayes, Stewart, Taurasi, or E. Williams on the link you provided.

In other words, no bios for players whose WNBA teams are still in the playoffs.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/04/18 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great to hear about Diamond ... the talent has always been there, and add a non-knucklehead attitude, and we have an Olympian at some point.

This is good for her and good for the game ...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 14 of 23

Jump to: