RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 89, 90, 91  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 08/28/18 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually, I think I"m the only Liberty Kea fan so don't let me bully you into anything. Smile It's just that I thought it would be nice to have a PG who can both shoot and be a good playmaker. Whatever we do with #14, it should be someone with outside shooting ability.

As rosters get deeper, the waiver wire becomes more interesting. Right now, every team still has their 1st Round pick, and teams tend to keep whoever is selected. That means the players at the bottom of the roster are in jeopardy of being cut. If you look around the league, the 12th player in terms of minutes played include people like Lexi Brown, Marie Gullich, Shatori Walker-Kimbrough, and even old friend Mercedes Russell. The downside is that you'll probably have to wait until cutdown day to get them, meaning they'll miss training camp with your team. However, as Knicks GM Scott Perry likes to say, "We're in the talent acquisition phase."

Last edited by root_thing on 08/29/18 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 08/29/18 12:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Actually, I think I"m the only Liberty Kea fan so don't let me bully you into anything. Smile It's just that I thought it would be nice to have a PG who can both shoot and be a good playmaker. Whatever we do with #14, it should be someone with outside shooting ability.

I think Myrtle likes her too but could be wrong.

I secretly want Mabrey but don't want to take the heat for it. (And I can't imagine what people would think if I suggested Te'a Copper but lets see what happens with her this year in SC.)

There are some other choices I am keeping an eye on like Martin, Calhoun, Laska, Cunningham, M. Moore and Blockton.

If we need another PG I am kind of thinking Chong.

root_thing

PostPosted: 08/29/18 12:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Myrtle left Libertydom. As far as Mabrey goes, I like her too and so does NYL_WNBA_FAN. Not getting any heat from us. However, you and someone else on this board keep lobbying for Laska. Personally, I like Laksa better. Wink

PostPosted: 08/29/18 12:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Now that the Liberty have secured the #2 pick....Shopping Stokes and Zuhiu b would be a smart move.

Projected MPG next season:

Charles-32.0
#2 pk/post-25.0

That leaves 23 minutes for Stokes/Zahui

That second round pick for Zahui is still on the table. The Liberty could get Paris Kea for that pick. Why they would want her, I’m not sure.

Think bigger.... Tynice Martin, Cierra Dillard....

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 08/29/18 1:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think we need to trade either Stokes or Zahui B. Assuming we go big with #2 Stokes and Zahui B are very good 3rd and 4th post options. That is not to say I wouldn't consider a trade but having 4 posts one super star, 1 rookie, one offensively limited one defensively limited isn't really a log jam.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/29/18 2:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have to keep reminding you guys, but you might also have Raincock, who could help keep you under budget. With Raincock, you won’t really need Zahui.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/29/18 4:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I don't think we need to trade either Stokes or Zahui B. Assuming we go big with #2 Stokes and Zahui B are very good 3rd and 4th post options. That is not to say I wouldn't consider a trade but having 4 posts one super star, 1 rookie, one offensively limited one defensively limited isn't really a log jam.

I agree. I wouldn't rush into trading either Stokes or Zahui B.

PostPosted: 08/29/18 6:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I have to keep reminding you guys, but you might also have Raincock, who could help keep you under budget. With Raincock, you won’t really need Zahui.

Just because Cheryl Reeve decided that one the best players in the WNBA (Natasha Howard) is worth only a 2nd round pick instead of more, or just keeping and actually playing, doesn't mean other teams have to trade lesser players for a 2nd round pick. Smile

root_thing

PostPosted: 08/29/18 7:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

That second round pick for Zahui is still on the table. The Liberty could get Paris Kea for that pick. Why they would want her, I’m not sure.

Think bigger.... Tynice Martin, Cierra Dillard....

Kea is a point guard. Martin is a shooting guard, maybe an undersized small forward. She also has two years of eligibility left. If Tynice is not a guaranteed 1st Round pick, I doubt she comes out. Cierra Dillard has passing ability, but she's also playing 2-guard right now and I'm not sure about her as a permanent PG. I like her shake and bake ability. It also seems like Dillard raises her game when the lights are brightest. I see her as the discount store version of Ogunbowale.

PostPosted: 08/29/18 7:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1.If the Liberty can acquire a big wing without giving up any primary pieces.Stokes and Zahui are keepers...But if the only way they can bring in a quality wing is by trading Stokes/Zahui...then they need to pull the trigger.

2.Would Liberty fans ever consider trading down?.....Indiana needs a center right?...This would be a risky move...but it could pay off in spades.

#2 pk for #3 pk.Vivians,Alexandr,and Indy's 2019 1st rd pk.

You get:
#3 pk(Durr)
Vivians
Alexander
Indy's 2019 1st rd pick

G-Boyd
G-Durr
C-Alexander
F-Charles
F-Vivians
6-Nurse
7-Stokes
8-Zahui b
9-Rodgers

Plus two 1st rd picks in 2020

ucbart

PostPosted: 08/29/18 8:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
1.If the Liberty can acquire a big wing without giving up any primary pieces.Stokes and Zahui are keepers...But if the only way they can bring in a quality wing is by trading Stokes/Zahui...then they need to pull the trigger.

2.Would Liberty fans ever consider trading down?.....Indiana needs a center right?...This would be a risky move...but it could pay off in spades.

You get:
#3 pk(Durr)
Vivians
Alexander
Indy's 2019 1st rd pick

G-Boyd
G-Durr
C-Alexander
F-Charles
F-Vivians
6-Nurse
7-Stokes
8-Zahui b
9-Rodgers

That's a great idea. But I think Durr is a PG in the W. Durr/Nurse>Boyd/Durr

root_thing

PostPosted: 08/29/18 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

You get:
#3 pk(Durr)
Vivians
Alexander
Indy's 2019 1st rd pick

G-Boyd
G-Durr
C-Alexander
F-Charles
F-Vivians
6-Nurse
7-Stokes
8-Zahui b
9-Rodgers

You're suggesting that Indiana would trade Vivians, Alexander and their 2020 1st Round pick to move up one spot? No way they'd do that. The 2020 pick is likely another lottery selection.

PostPosted: 08/29/18 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

You're suggesting that Indiana would trade Vivians, Alexander and their 2020 1st Round pick to move up one spot? No way they'd do that. The 2020 pick is likely another lottery selection.

Indy needs a center.and already have a bunch of wings(Mitchell,Mitchell,Vivians,Johnson etc)...Drafting another wing makes no sense unless they're going to trade 1 or 2 wings for a post or PG.....I don't believe Pokey's playing for a lottery pick in 2020...Signing Cappie,demoting Kelsey to the bench and holding on to Dupree tells me Pokey wants to make the playoffs.

Alexander--Saw limited minutes last season(8.6 mpg)
Vivians--Johnson,Pondexter and K.Mitchell are all 22+ mpg players...Vivians is expendable,especially if the Fever can fill the void at center.
2020 1st rd pick--Pokey's not looking for a lottery pick(JMO)

zune69

PostPosted: 08/29/18 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

That's a great idea. But I think Durr is a PG in the W. Durr/Nurse>Boyd/Durr

Durr's more of a playmaker than a facilitator.She has excellent handles and scoring ability.....I think she's a SG at the next level.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/29/18 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You're not getting Vivians and the next year's first to move up one spot (Alexander's pretty negligible at this point). New York talking about a deal like that would basically be saying that they're not that excited by their options at #2, which then tells Indy they might as well stay where they are and get the same player anyway. You might, if Pokey's a little desperate, get Vivians or the 2020 pick (although you damn well shouldn't get that pick if Indy are awake), but I really don't think you're getting both.

The top five or six in this draft are still all close enough that Pokey might get one of the bigs at #3 anyway (even not including the possibility of something like Ionescu declaring). We're a long way off needing to give up anything to move.

PostPosted: 08/29/18 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

She may not be looking for it, but I believe the best odds of #1 for 2020 is going to be falling in her (or her replacement’s) lap.

Unfortunately, Ionescu might be headed to Indy. Sad

Randy

PostPosted: 08/29/18 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
zune69 wrote:

She may not be looking for it, but I believe the best odds of #1 for 2020 is going to be falling in her (or her replacement’s) lap.

Easy to solve. Just trade Fowles and Moore to Indy for the right exchange draft positions and 2nd round pick or two. Razz

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 08/29/18 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Shades wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Easy to solve. Just trade Fowles and Moore to Indy for the right exchange draft positions and 2nd round pick or two. Razz

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Then when the Fever become a top team next year, all the Lynx fans and media will be like "WOW Reeve is such a genius! She just couldn't fit Maya & Fowles under the salary cap, so getting a 2nd round pick was the greatest move in history! I am so happy that the Storm and Fever are combining to win the next 12 titles!"

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 08/29/18 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So with more questions being raised about how good McCowan and Brown might be could anyone see NY going with Durr or KLS (or other) at #2 if Brown and McCowan don't kill it this year and one of the other lottery bound players do kill it this season?

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 08/29/18 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
So with more questions being raised about how good McCowan and Brown might be could anyone see NY going with Durr or KLS (or other) at #2 if Brown and McCowan don't kill it this year and one of the other lottery bound players do kill it this season?

I realize we're not locked into anything so I am sticking with my original vision (I'm just not that into Brown or McCowan maybe after next NCAA season I will be swayed).

I still want Durr at #2 and Anigwe at #14

Boyd/Hartley
Durr/Rodgers/***
Nurse/*/**
Charles/Zahui B
Stokes/Anigwe

* Hopefully one of Zellous or Nayo
** Better yet both Zellous and Nayo with Nayo functioning as 3/4
*** early 3rd round pick Dillard, Calhoun, Blockton, Martin or waiver wire/camp invite

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/31/18 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://liberty.wnba.com/news/smith-talks-2019-wnba-draft-lottery/

She's looking at a guard???!!! At least she acknowledges the 5 spot needs more consistency but how exactly does she plan on filling the spot outside of the draft? I know a few people want a guard but without upgrading the team's height/mismatches...that is going to place you squarely in the lottery again. You don't get many chances to get an impact player in the post with skills. Durr is good but she's not a highly unique player. How many years could pass before you get a chance to get a skilled 6'6" or 6'7" player? They're rare. A player like Durr who can pull up from midrange and shoot 3s but isn't elite at drawing fouls and is an average creator for other players at best is the type of player who comes along with more regularity. I'm not diminishing the fact that she's good but with the #2 pick you need more than good if it's available. I hope Katie is coming from the Laimbeer school of talking out of both sides of her mouth because otherwise I have to wonder what it is that she saw on film. I know what I saw. With Durr, I don't see the Liberty being a significantly improved offensive team...as in top half of the league efficiency. You're also putting all your eggs in the Stokes basket in terms of your defense. We've seen how well that has worked before. I've made the argument that KLS or Collier impact matchups positively more than Durr does so not going to rehash that argument. But the need for defense and rebounding and impact play in the middle is excruciating...and that's not a need you fill without having a top pick. We got Nurse at 10 overall. She looks like a future all-star. Point being that solid guards can be found in the 5-10 range in the first round from time-to-time. What year-in year-out consistent all-star in the post has been drafted outside the lottery EVER????

ISN'T THIS OBVIOUS???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: 08/31/18 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Selecting a guard and then having a consistent go-to at the five who can produce and be productive is something that we can really use.”

Who is that consistent go-to at the five, who can not only produce but be productive?

LibFan25

PostPosted: 08/31/18 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sounds like Katie and Liberty is not fully commited in re-signing Boyd in the offseason.

In my opinion that would be a mistake, its hard to find a quality PG in this league, i understand Boyd's weaknesses can be untrustworthy at times but i like the strengths more then the weaknesses. she will only get smarter in time with her decision making and IQ. Boyd's electrifying speed can cause alot of havoc and problems for teams.

can Asia Durr play PG? if we gonna get a guard i would only consider Durr. not a fan of the ND Guard

toad455

PostPosted: 08/31/18 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe Smith thinks Vandersloot will come and play in Westchester? Laughing

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
root_thing

PostPosted: 08/31/18 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nothing I've seen makes me think Durr can play PG, and even if she could, why would you want to mess with her? Asia is great as a shooter -- let her do her thing. Bringing the ball up court and having it in your hands all the time takes a lot of energy -- both mental and physical. People who aren't used to constant ballhandling seem to find it a burden. Pondexter actually had the skills to play PG, but whenever you left her there too long she would start throwing crazy long downcourt passes. It's like Cappie felt tired of having the ball and just wanted to get rid of it. We've seen the same thing with Wright, Zellous, and Hartley. You see them dribbling for a while, and then suddenly they throw the ball to no one. This isn't a miscommunication because often there's not even a teammate in the area. It's like they give up and just hope a teammate is there.

Kea and Bell are the best PGs that I can think of and neither is worth taking in the lottery range. It scares me that Katie Smith is talking this way because she does color commentary on college games. Is she just inamoured of players that she covers and is ignoring the wider pool out there? This is why teams usually need a GM. Most coaches take the short-term view while GMs are supposed to think long-term. Here in NY, regardless of title, Smith may be wearing both hats while being inexperienced at both. Yikes!

I know people are not going to want to hear this, but I hope Isiah is involved. He sucked at being an NBA GM because he always wanted to trade for over-rated big name players. However, his drafting and talent-evaluation skills were pretty decent. The WNBA isn't set-up for the types of trades he made (fallen stars with cap-busting long-term contracts in exchange for 1st round picks across multiple years), so I don't think Thomas is a risk to do them now. We just need someone to be a counter-weight against Smith's flights of fancy.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
Page 5 of 91

Jump to: