RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 89, 90, 91  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 08/26/18 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, it looks like Sugar is staying with the Liberty. Nice PR announcement?!?!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
root_thing

PostPosted: 08/26/18 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't believe they just extended Sugar. This certainly isn't based on performance. What idiots! Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 08/26/18 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Well, it looks like Sugar is staying with the Liberty. Nice PR announcement?!?!

Apparently it was a week ago but there was no announcement made on Liberty twitter.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/26/18 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
I can't believe they just extended Sugar. This certainly isn't based on performance. What idiots! Rolling Eyes

Exactly right. I've said for quite a while that Rodgers should go. Two disappointing seasons in a row. Her stats after SIX seasons in the WNBA vividly demonstrate that her strong 2016 performance was a career year. Two disappointing seasons since. How does that merit an extension?

For me, this underscores something intensely gloomy. Whoever is making personnel decisions for the Liberty has lousy judgment. Apart from drafting Kia Nurse a year ago, they've made many bad decisions. So it's difficult to have confidence that with the #4 pick, with the #14 pick, with free agents out there, the unnamed Liberty decisionmakers will make the best possible moves.

PostPosted: 08/26/18 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I only had the Liberty keeping Rodgers if Prince opted to go elsewhere. If Prince does sign elsewhere, this extension doesn't bother me. Let's hope she improves in 2019.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/26/18 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I only had the Liberty keeping Rodgers if Prince opted to go elsewhere. If Prince does sign elsewhere, this extension doesn't bother me. Let's hope she improves in 2019.

I hope that every returning player for the Liberty improves in 2019. But after what Rodgers has shown in both 2017 and 2018--and considering that she's supposed to be in her prime years--is there any reason to believe that she will improve?

PostPosted: 08/26/18 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

That's probably why they did it. They're trying to make sure they've got somebody under contract to play on the wing next year besides Nurse. The core spot has to go to Charles, so otherwise there were going to be a hell of lot of UFAs coming off this roster. There are still plenty.

PostPosted: 08/26/18 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Exactly right. I've said for quite a while that Rodgers should go. Two disappointing seasons in a row. Her stats after SIX seasons in the WNBA vividly demonstrate that her strong 2016 performance was a career year. Two disappointing seasons since. How does that merit an extension?

For me, this underscores something intensely gloomy. Whoever is making personnel decisions for the Liberty has lousy judgment. Apart from drafting Kia Nurse a year ago, they've made many bad decisions. So it's difficult to have confidence that with the #4 pick, with the #14 pick, with free agents out there, the unnamed Liberty decisionmakers will make the best possible moves.

The one saving grace to their early draft pick is that it's a hard pick to screw up. There's five clear quality players at the top of the draft, if not more. But to me, 5 immediate starters.

PostPosted: 08/26/18 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:

That's probably why they did it. They're trying to make sure they've got somebody under contract to play on the wing next year besides Nurse. The core spot has to go to Charles, so otherwise there were going to be a hell of lot of UFAs coming off this roster. There are still plenty.

This makes sense.

PostPosted: 08/26/18 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:

lol boy ole boy, i think you're right but its still a very bad signing extension. i think they fear not getting anybody in the free agency due to playing here in westchester. i don't know. maybe im bias cuz its close to home but WCC is not that bad

In free agency i want the Libs to take a look at Betnijah Laney, she was very solid off the bench for the Sun. i like her game

In draft, realistic i see happening

KLS will be the pick if the 2 bigs are gone at 4, if Katie is still the Coach she will be pushing for her cuz she likes her. i hope we get sum lucky ping pong balls and land either 2 or 3 pick

at 14, pick up a big body like Alexis Jennings from USC(south carolina) if we don't get a big in the 1st round, we draft Laska from USF if we draft a big in the 1st.

Last edited by LibFan25 on 08/26/18 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 08/26/18 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
i hope we get sum lucky ping pong balls and land either 2 or 3 pick

#3 would be really lucky since it's not possible. Surprised

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
LibFan25

PostPosted: 08/26/18 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:

not possible? damn well lets say a prayer for 2 or 1 then Sad

LibFan25

PostPosted: 08/26/18 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lol this is a good draft tho, i would be happy with these Prospects:

Brown #1
Collier #2
Durr #3
KLS #4

root_thing

PostPosted: 08/26/18 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Except for Tina, the level of play from NY's veterans ranged from very ordinary to bad. They're all eminently replaceable. Remember, the Phoenix Mercury replaced TEN players last year. They still improved their record by two wins.

PostPosted: 08/26/18 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
Shades wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:

When they re-did the lottery odds to be based on 2-year record, they also changed it so they only draw for the top 2 picks, not the top 3 picks, so if the Liberty aren't chosen for pick #1 or pick #2, then they remain at pick #4

Last edited by SpaceJunkie on 08/26/18 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
LibFan25

PostPosted: 08/26/18 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:
Shades wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:

When they re-did the lottery odds to be based on 2-year record, they also changed it so they only draw for the top 2 picks, not the top 3 picks, so if the Liberty are chosen for pick #1 or pick #2, then they remain at pick #4

gotcha, thanks

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/26/18 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

I think it's an indicator that Zellous is on the way out as well, if nothing else. It doesn't really make sense for Z to return to the Libs from anyone's perspective. The Libs want to get younger and open a spot for Nurse and possibly a draft pick. Z is going to want to go to a championship caliber squad (LA makes a ton of sense if they can afford her).

PostPosted: 08/26/18 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I think it's an indicator that Zellous is on the way out as well, if nothing else. It doesn't really make sense for Z to return to the Libs from anyone's perspective. The Libs want to get younger and open a spot for Nurse and possibly a draft pick. Z is going to want to go to a championship caliber squad (LA makes a ton of sense if they can afford her).

I think you're right.

Of Zellous, Prince, Rodgers, and Hartley, Zellous is the only one I've been eager to see return.... because of her fire and leadership. But it absolutely makes sense for her to head elsewhere. And I will wish her well. She's given a lot to the Liberty.

PostPosted: 08/26/18 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:

lol boy ole boy, i think you're right but its still a very bad signing extension. i think they fear not getting anybody in the free agency due to playing here in westchester. i don't know. maybe im bias cuz its close to home but WCC is not that bad

In free agency i want the Libs to take a look at Betnijah Laney, she was very solid off the bench for the Sun. i like her game

KLS will be the pick if the 2 bigs are gone at 4, if Katie is still the Coach she will be pushing for her cuz she likes her. i hope we get sum lucky ping pong balls and land either 2 or 3 pick

at 14, pick up a big body like Alexis Jennings from USC(south carolina) if we don't get a big in the 1st round, we draft Laska from USF if we draft a big in the 1st.

I still prefer Durr over KLS but won't be mad if it is KLS at #4.

I still have hope that people will pass on Anigwe and she will be there at #14 but I am slowly giving up on that and recently thought if we don't go big round 1 maybe someone like Jennings will work in round 2.

I also don't hate the Rodgers extension as long as Prince isn't also re-signed. I actually like Rodgers she can sill plays good D and has a 3 point shot. If she is our back up at the 2 and can split the difference between Good Sugar from a couple of season's ago and not so good Sugar the last season then she has value.

I am still waiting for the draft lottery before going in on a future plan whether it be my fantasy or my realistic view of what ill happen but in general I think we are looking at

Boyd/Hartley
Rodgers
Nurse
Charles/Zahui B
Stokes

that is 7
lottery pick and 2nd round pick makes 9
See what happens with Zellous and Nayo Raincock-Ekunwe now at ?
Look at new free agents still at ?
Look at our other current free agents not listed above (kind of hoping even if we miss on other free agents that we don't fall back on these players for comfort and safety, I would prefer new blood and development of our younger talent) ?
3rd round pick and waiver wire?

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/27/18 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:
Shades wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:

When they re-did the lottery odds to be based on 2-year record, they also changed it so they only draw for the top 2 picks, not the top 3 picks, so if the Liberty aren't chosen for pick #1 or pick #2, then they remain at pick #4

R U Ok?

PostPosted: 08/27/18 1:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:
Shades wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:

R U Ok?

Are you saying that because my comment doesn't make sense, or because you think something is wrong with me because I made two comments on this forum that weren't about a trade I hated?

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/27/18 6:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:
Shades wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:

R U Ok?

Are you saying that because my comment doesn't make sense, or because you think something is wrong with me because I made two comments on this forum that weren't about a trade I hated?

(IMO) you just didn't seem your usual self at all in that post.
So I hope you're feeling ok. If not, hang in there.
Lynx fans could be excused for not quite knowing how to deal with not still being in contention for a title at this point of a season. It has been a looooong time.

PostPosted: 08/27/18 7:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
(IMO) you just didn't seem your usual self at all in that post.
So I hope you're feeling ok. If not, hang in there.
Lynx fans could be excused for not quite knowing how to deal with not still being in contention for a title at this point of a season. It has been a looooong time.

I'm numb to it as a Minnesota sports fan. In Minnesota, our sports teams are better at winning titles for other teams than their own, so as the GM as of a Minnesota sports team, your job is basically to win titles for teams other than your own. That's why it's obvious Cheryl Reeve, upon being named GM of the Lynx, knew she had only one job: win a title for the Seattle Storm, as she doesn't give a crap about the Lynx winning, and she may never have. But this is a Liberty thread, and you just wanted to tempt me into saying the same thing I've said 200 times already in all the other threads, even threads that have nothing to do with the Lynx, because you find it amusing. Smile Maybe Cheryl Reeve will eventually get around to winning a title for the Liberty after she's done winning titles for the Dream once she trades them Maya Moore for a Chris Chandler football card.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/27/18 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:

I still prefer Durr over KLS but won't be mad if it is KLS at #4.

I still have hope that people will pass on Anigwe and she will be there at #14 but I am slowly giving up on that and recently thought if we don't go big round 1 maybe someone like Jennings will work in round 2.

I also don't hate the Rodgers extension as long as Prince isn't also re-signed. I actually like Rodgers she can sill plays good D and has a 3 point shot. If she is our back up at the 2 and can split the difference between Good Sugar from a couple of season's ago and not so good Sugar the last season then she has value.

I am still waiting for the draft lottery before going in on a future plan whether it be my fantasy or my realistic view of what ill happen but in general I think we are looking at

Boyd/Hartley
Rodgers
Nurse
Charles/Zahui B
Stokes

that is 7
lottery pick and 2nd round pick makes 9
See what happens with Zellous and Nayo Raincock-Ekunwe now at ?
Look at new free agents still at ?
Look at our other current free agents not listed above (kind of hoping even if we miss on other free agents that we don't fall back on these players for comfort and safety, I would prefer new blood and development of our younger talent) ?
3rd round pick and waiver wire?

I've watched Anigwe at Cal and saw her a little in high school -- I would not pin too much hope on her being a serviceable WNBA player. She has athleticism and some skills, but so far, at least, she doesn't handle adversity well, and her game is pretty much the same as it was when she was in high school.

Of course, she might do better as a pro, and harness her ability, and No. 14 is about right for her, given her potential, but I find it hard to see her contributing more than Charles, Stokes and Zahui B -- or even Vaughn.

PostPosted: 08/27/18 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

I think you're right.

Of Zellous, Prince, Rodgers, and Hartley, Zellous is the only one I've been eager to see return.... because of her fire and leadership. But it absolutely makes sense for her to head elsewhere. And I will wish her well. She's given a lot to the Liberty.

It will be interesting to see what happens if the Libs move up in the lottery. 10% chance for the top pick. Another 14% for pick #2. Could Z be sold on returning to the Liberty if they add a needed post player and she is promised a starting spot alongside Kia Nurse? With a 25% chance to move up it's obviously unlikely but not impossible. With a #4 pick they'd be unlikely to add a post player, thus making them highly likely to add a player at Z's position(s).

In that scenario, Piph and Vaughn's money comes off the books, making it likely feasible economically...even if you have to pay Boyd and Zahui. The backups in this scenario, Sugar and Bec, give you defense and tempo possibilities from the second unit, though Sugar never has really played well on the second unit. One certainty...a lineup of this nature would improve the Libs' defense dramatically, if for no other reason that 3 of the 4 worst defenders on the team (Piph, Coleman, Vaughn) would all be gone. And those minutes would be covered primarily by strong defensive players. And the Libs could cut out the annoying habit of sagging under screens, as whoever you have in the middle (McC, Stokes, even Brown) would be a major upgrade over Vaughn defensively. Brown isn't terribly fast or agile but she's tall, her footwork is underrated and she plays with a high motor. All those would mean an immediate improvement over Vaughn.

I think Z staying is very unlikely. But I think the above is probably the ONLY scenario in which she would stay.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
Page 3 of 91

Jump to: