Mercury
36%
 36%  [ 9 ]
Storm
64%
 64%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 25

Shades

PostPosted: 08/26/18 9:57 am    ::: Mercury💯 @ Storm⛈ - 8/28/18 Reply Reply with quote

WNBA Semifinals Game 2
Seattle, WA - 10:00 PM ET

TV: ESPN2

Video:
http://www.espn.com/watch

Game page:
http://www.wnba.com/game/20180828/PHOSEA/

ESPN Gamecast:
http://m.espn.com/wnba/gamecast?gameId=401074458

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
bballgrl

PostPosted: 08/27/18 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

after having some rest i hope the merc can pull this one off. wonder who the ref's will be and how this game will be called. the merc have to stay strong and keep their cool as well as make their free throws(if they get any).

craigmont

PostPosted: 08/27/18 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Could we at least wait for the game to start before we start whining about the refs? Smile

zune69

PostPosted: 08/28/18 7:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Griner needs to be more assertive on offense,aggressive on the boards and play smarter on defense...It's really that simple....If BG is the 8th best player on the court as she was in game 1.Phoenix will lose.

canadaball

PostPosted: 08/28/18 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After just one game, this is a fascinating series. Not only does each team have 2 surefire first ballot HOF'ers, but these 4 are all time greats. Phx (post Sancho injury) and Seattle have, arguably, the worst benches in the league. Phx has been forced to play their main players huge minutes all year (one wonders how long Bonner can continue her scintillating play at 40 minutes per), while Seattle gave their backups lots of regular season time. No arguing with the record, but a lineup including Canada (cannot shoot), KML (cannot move), Paris (see KML), and Lang (cannot defend or rebound) survived the season playing other team's backups, but when faced with Griner, DT, and Bonner have no chance. When Leilani can drive right thru the defense for a layup, you know the Seattle bench is in trouble. The first game boxscore +/- says it all. Coach Dan was forced to quickly abandon regular season rotations, and played his starters much longer. Perhaps this was reason Sea blew that 16 point 3rd q lead as their starters, not used to prolonged playing time (unlike the Phx 5) ran out of gas.
The Seattle game plan is obvious. With their trio of young legs, run, run, run, but without bench help, this becomes tougher, and Phx (2 great one on one players) has the edge in a slowdown half court game.
Couple of sidebars worth noting. The solid play of aged DT and Bird is magnified by the playoff benching of other older players like Camille Little and Currie.
The Seattle GM has pulled off an all time steal in acquiring Howard, whose play this year is All Star level, yet every other personnel move the Storm have made (save the obvious selections of Loyd and Stew) has been disastrous; in particular, given the failure of Carolyn Swords in Sea (immobile; has little shooting range) why would they sign Paris?
All season, the Phx coaches have shown adaptability (most recently moving Bonner to the four, and benching Little for Talbot). How will they deal with Loyd? One possibility is trying their best perimeter defender, January, and moving Talbot to Bird.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/28/18 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
After just one game, this is a fascinating series. Not only does each team have 2 surefire first ballot HOF'ers, but these 4 are all time greats. Phx (post Sancho injury) and Seattle have, arguably, the worst benches in the league. Phx has been forced to play their main players huge minutes all year (one wonders how long Bonner can continue her scintillating play at 40 minutes per), while Seattle gave their backups lots of regular season time. No arguing with the record, but a lineup including Canada (cannot shoot), KML (cannot move), Paris (see KML), and Lang (cannot defend or rebound) survived the season playing other team's backups, but when faced with Griner, DT, and Bonner have no chance. When Leilani can drive right thru the defense for a layup, you know the Seattle bench is in trouble. The first game boxscore +/- says it all. Coach Dan was forced to quickly abandon regular season rotations, and played his starters much longer. Perhaps this was reason Sea blew that 16 point 3rd q lead as their starters, not used to prolonged playing time (unlike the Phx 5) ran out of gas.
The Seattle game plan is obvious. With their trio of young legs, run, run, run, but without bench help, this becomes tougher, and Phx (2 great one on one players) has the edge in a slowdown half court game.
Couple of sidebars worth noting. The solid play of aged DT and Bird is magnified by the playoff benching of other older players like Camille Little and Currie.
The Seattle GM has pulled off an all time steal in acquiring Howard, whose play this year is All Star level, yet every other personnel move the Storm have made (save the obvious selections of Loyd and Stew) has been disastrous; in particular, given the failure of Carolyn Swords in Sea (immobile; has little shooting range) why would they sign Paris?
All season, the Phx coaches have shown adaptability (most recently moving Bonner to the four, and benching Little for Talbot). How will they deal with Loyd? One possibility is trying their best perimeter defender, January, and moving Talbot to Bird.

Excellent post -- but downgraded because you didn't mention the refs.

PostPosted: 08/28/18 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New song by Meghan Trainor:

Because you know it's all about the refs
'bout the refs - not players
I'm all about the about the refs, bout the refs, no players
I'm all about the about the refs, bout the refs, no players
I'm all about the about the refs, bout the refs....

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/28/18 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Talbot is one of the more interesting players in the series.

I am very much in favor of putting January on Loyd. Her athleticism can keep up with Loyd’s and Bri’s size isn’t a problem. That should be a relatively easy call.

Brit stays down low. If there’s a switch and Stewie is down low and Howard is at the theee point line, Phoenix needs to switch. Brit stays down low.

The question then becomes..how do we work the other three. DT obviously can’t guard Stewie (she’s too small..unless the old school LJ hug defense makes a comeback. But that would be dumb given DT’s offensive responsibilities..and the fact that Talbot and DB are on the team).

I think she’d be fine on Bird, whereas I think she’s at risk for foul trouble on Clark. (Again, given the size.)

And here is where Talbot is interesting..she’s a very good on ball defender. She’s an even better off ball defender. She gets her hands on everything, and letting her wreak havoc around the court, might be an interesting advantage. ( on a side note, it’s amazing how quickly I’ve gone from “meh” to absolute Talbot fangurl.)

But that’s not the move I’d make. It’s amazing to me, how bad Seattle is without Sue. I don’t think Canada is that bad..and you would think Loyd and Stewart could just go one on one for a few possessions..but it’s bad. Worse than when Phoenix takes Diana out.

Talbot on Bird, you would think, would hamper Bird a lot. Bird’s running the team, not looking to score..you’d think someone who could hamper her vision, and make life difficult for her, would work in Phoenix’s favor. Added benefit is that Phoenix would be able to switch on PnRs with Bird and Stewie. (Which is, inevitably..why I’d choose this option. And DT is relatively good at help defense).

It will be interesting to see what Phoenix does. I’ve been highly critical of Sandy’s rotation this season (now that she’s playing the players I want her to play, we’ve made up. Wink ) but I’ve always thought she was a really good Xs and Os coach, so I’m interested in seeing what she does.

PostPosted: 08/28/18 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The issue with the Storms bench is that Hughes got away with an all bench unit: Canada, Sami, KML, Langhorne and Paris in the regular season. This will NOT work in the playoffs..
Atleast 2 of these 4 (Stewie, Loyd, Bird Howard) need to be on the court at all times with 3 benchplayers. He needs to think about a new rotation because of this.

For example: rest Howard first and bring in Langhorne. Stewie switches to guard Griner because Griner will play the whole first quarter if she doesnt get in foul trouble. At the end of the first quarter (1 min to go) sub Stewie for Paris. This way she gets the extra rest between quarters. Later in the 2nd quarter you can sub Howard back in.

When Taurasi sits= Clark sits and bring in Sami if KML is not hitting her shots. Sami can create out of the pick&roll for herself or others.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Randy

PostPosted: 08/28/18 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

The question then becomes..how do we work the other three. DT obviously can’t guard Stewie (she’s too small..unless the old school LJ hug defense makes a comeback. But that would be dumb given DT’s offensive responsibilities..and the fact that Talbot and DB are on the team).

I think she’d be fine on Bird, whereas I think she’s at risk for foul trouble on Clark. (Again, given the size.)

According to the rosters Clark is 5-11, 167; Taurasi is 6-0, 163. Why is there a size disadvantage? Are you really saying Clark is stronger?

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/28/18 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

According to the rosters Clark is 5-11, 167; Taurasi is 6-0, 163. Why is there a size disadvantage? Are you really saying Clark is stronger?

Clark was a postplayer in college. She knows how to use her body and post smaller guards and bigger forwards up. So yeah she can get Taurasi in foul trouble. Just like she got DT her 2nd foul in the first quarter in game 1

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/28/18 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sandy saying she has some new adjustments this game, looking forward to see what she comes up with. Hard to win when the other team is hitting everything however.

craigmont

PostPosted: 08/28/18 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Merc outshot the Storm in Game 1, 52% to 45%.

canadaball

PostPosted: 08/28/18 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
I think Talbot is one of the more interesting players in the series.

I am very much in favor of putting January on Loyd. Her athleticism can keep up with Loyd’s and Bri’s size isn’t a problem. That should be a relatively easy call.

Brit stays down low. If there’s a switch and Stewie is down low and Howard is at the theee point line, Phoenix needs to switch. Brit stays down low.

And here is where Talbot is interesting..she’s a very good on ball defender. She’s an even better off ball defender. She gets her hands on everything, and letting her wreak havoc around the court, might be an interesting advantage. ( on a side note, it’s amazing how quickly I’ve gone from “meh” to absolute Talbot fangurl.)

But that’s not the move I’d make. It’s amazing to me, how bad Seattle is without Sue. I don’t think Canada is that bad..and you would think Loyd and Stewart could just go one on one for a few possessions..but it’s bad. Worse than when Phoenix takes Diana out.

Talbot on Bird, you would think, would hamper Bird a lot. Bird’s running the team, not looking to score..you’d think someone who could hamper her vision, and make life difficult for her, would work in Phoenix’s favor. Added benefit is that Phoenix would be able to switch on PnRs with Bird and Stewie. (Which is, inevitably..why I’d choose this option. And DT is relatively good at help defense).

It will be interesting to see what Phoenix does. I’ve been highly critical of Sandy’s rotation this season (now that she’s playing the players I want her to play, we’ve made up. Wink ) but I’ve always thought she was a really good Xs and Os coach, so I’m interested in seeing what she does.

Good analysis of Phx options. Guarding a pg like Bird is quite different than other positions.The defender is out there in open space; screens are a constant threat, and cannot go under them plus never allow Bird an open look at 3. I am not too familiar with Talbot, and, this year, she has been playing much closer to the basket. Does she have the requisite experience? Remember that a coach like Agler (intimately familiar with Bird and Sea) always used his best defender (Beard) on the pg, the logic probably to cut off the head of the snake makes it die. Let's also remember that January, with all her tools, allowed Bird a double double with only one turnover.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/28/18 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:

I guess it was the Storms extra 3s that did the damage then Laughing Laughing Laughing

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 08/28/18 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
craigmont wrote:

I guess it was the Storms extra 3s that did the damage then Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yep... Half of Stewart's 18 shots were 3's and she canned 6 of them... Shocked Idea

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 08/28/18 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Griner needs to be more assertive on offense,aggressive on the boards and play smarter on defense...It's really that simple....If BG is the 8th best player on the court as she was in game 1.Phoenix will lose.

Ditto Idea Shocked

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/28/18 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Randy wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Clark was a postplayer in college. She knows how to use her body and post smaller guards and bigger forwards up. So yeah she can get Taurasi in foul trouble. Just like she got DT her 2nd foul in the first quarter in game 1

Taurasi’s 163 is from a few years ago. I wouldn’t be surprised if she weighed less now.

Clark certainly looks both taller and stronger than DT.

PostPosted: 08/28/18 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wouldn't be the first time that heights were misreported. Of course, as people age they get shorter as well. Gravity just never gives up.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/28/18 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So how many times did Clark post up in game one? All season?

And how many fouls did DT pick up while guarding Clark?

PostPosted: 08/28/18 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
So how many times did Clark post up in game one? All season?

And how many fouls did DT pick up while guarding Clark?

She didnt post up that many in game 1 but that had more to do with everybody hitting their 3's. Normally they run a few more plays where she dugs in under the basket pinning her defender behind her. Only option then is to foul or allow a layup.

I expect more of that in game 2 to try to frustrate her and get her in foul trouble early again.

About the FG goal percentage. The Storm shot 26 % in the 4th quarter. Big reason why fhe Mercury came back in that game and why the Storms %ended up lower then the Mercury

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/28/18 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
The issue with the Storms bench is that Hughes got away with an all bench unit: Canada, Sami, KML, Langhorne and Paris in the regular season. This will NOT work in the playoffs..

My main issue with the Storm bench is not so much the players themselves, but the way they're used. I don't think Dan does a good enough job of integrating them with the starters. Playing too many limited players together is never going to bring the best out of them. Slot them in with starters and their strengths can be utilised without exposing their deficiencies so much.
(On the plus side, the rotations always shorten up during the playoffs so the weakness of the all-bench unit isn't so relevant anymore)

PostPosted: 08/28/18 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Taurasi looks taller than Clark to me, and with a lot longer arms. The good thing about Clark is that as a former post player used to the crap that goes on in the post, she is uncowed by Taurasi’s bully play.

Last edited by tfan on 08/28/18 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/28/18 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seattle in the bonus 4 minutes into the game? Coincidence? Shocked

PostPosted: 08/28/18 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well...Brit’s playing well.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: