RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Connecticut Sun 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 08/25/18 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
I predict during some point in Jonquel Jones WNBA career she will be playing for the Washington Mystics. Jonquel Jones right now probably will enjoy playing for Mike Thibault and returning to the city she played College Basketball at GW

Does your crystal ball say how this will happen? Does Jones get into an altercation with Chiney, causing Jones to get traded to Washington for Meesseman and Atkins?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ClayK

PostPosted: 08/25/18 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chiney Ogwumike has more value, uncertain future or not, for other teams than for the Sun -- so trading her makes sense.

That said, if her knees mean she's only able to play 15-20 minutes a game, then she fits with Connecticut as their post off the bench. But if there's reason to believe she can play starter minutes, now or in the future, then it would seem to me she would be worth something on the market.

No. 6, however, seems a little rich for a player whose future is in doubt.

PostPosted: 08/25/18 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
SpaceJunkie probably won’t like this but Chiney for #6 all day! I don’t believe there’s an ESPN studio in Minneapolis, but maybe they can just give her a satellite truck and do some remotes with her. I think most of her stuff is done outside the summer anyway.

I wouldn't like it—I'D LOVE IT! Very Happy

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 08/25/18 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
I predict during some point in Jonquel Jones WNBA career she will be playing for the Washington Mystics. Jonquel Jones right now probably will enjoy playing for Mike Thibault and returning to the city she played College Basketball at GW

Does your crystal ball say how this will happen? Does Jones get into an altercation with Chiney, causing Jones to get traded to Washington for Meesseman and Atkins?

AND ATKINS? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Shades

PostPosted: 08/25/18 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Chiney Ogwumike has more value, uncertain future or not, for other teams than for the Sun -- so trading her makes sense.

Yes, listen to Clay.

ClayK wrote:
That said, if her knees mean she's only able to play 15-20 minutes a game, then she fits with Connecticut as their post off the bench. But if there's reason to believe she can play starter minutes, now or in the future, then it would seem to me she would be worth something on the market.

She seemed to be playing heavy minutes from the start, heavier than they probably intended or wanted. Just because she hit a snag at the end of the season doesn’t mean she’s a cripple now.

ClayK wrote:
No. 6, however, seems a little rich for a player whose future is in doubt.

I like this draft and I’d be all-in on Chiney for #6 if she was enthusiastic about coming to Minnesota. Her vibe fits the Minnesota vibe, and she’d be a quick and effective patch for what they need to stay on top. Does she come with risks? Yeah, but so does any draft pick where you’re not exactly sure what you’re getting.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 08/25/18 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I like this draft and I’d be all-in on Chiney for #6 if she was enthusiastic about coming to Minnesota. Her vibe fits the Minnesota vibe, and she’d be a quick and effective patch for what they need to stay on top. Does she come with risks? Yeah, but so does any draft pick where you’re not exactly sure what you’re getting.

Everything has a risk. But that doesn't mean I would not risk, say trading a 3rd round pick for Breanna Stewart, if I could, even though Clay may find such a trade to be extremely risky because the 3rd round pick could end up being a quality WNBA player while Stewart could get abducted by aliens and never be heard from again.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 08/25/18 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Chiney to New York for Stokes and the #14 pick?

Yikes. Since Stokes is a pretty awful wnba player, i’d Say no way in hell to this trade.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 08/25/18 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

How about the Mystics 2019 1st rd pick #10 and the Mystics 2020 1st rd pick

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/25/18 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We will take Chiney.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 08/25/18 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Chiney's injury situation probably somewhat lessens her trade value, but if you want to dump her

SpaceJunkie probably won’t like this but Chiney for #6 all day! I don’t believe there’s an ESPN studio in Minneapolis, but maybe they can just give her a satellite truck and do some remotes with her. I think most of her stuff is done outside the summer anyway.

Last year I remember proposing Chiney trades (namely the Lavender and something one) and got chided for it. Now everybody is pushing for a Chiney trade. Am I the only one to notice that Chiney was pretty good this season?

I guess some people wanted to see how Miller would handle Chiney and JJ playing together and to Chiney was play coming off injury.

I already posted during the Bentley-Williams altercation about how would Connecticut have handle the situation if was a combination of two of the big 3 (AT-Chiney-JJ) had been the ones that had gotten into a fight and refuse to report to the team unless one of them was traded.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/25/18 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looking at both their skillset i still find it very strange that they wouldnt be a good postduo and cant make it work on the same team. Miller has to make this work somehow.

Its up to JJ and Williams to take that next step and really be that number 1 and 2 option for the Sun. JJ took a big step backwards this season. Having Chiney as your 3rd option on offense would be pretty good (averaging 14 pts while shooting 60% or something). She reminds me of Langhorne. Not a star player but a very effective scorer who doesnt need a lot of touches.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/25/18 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Sun, even with Thomas not being able to consistently shoot from the outside (which I don’t see as problem and never have if a player can be useful in other ways) were still 1st in PPG and 2nd in Offensive Rating.

Not saying I wouldn’t move Thomas if the price was right, but just because a player isn’t a strong shooter doesn’t necessarily mean she’s hurting the offense or team.

Then again, I don’t care for Miller because he could’ve kept Chelsea Gray and still drafted Jonquel Jones but instead drafts Banham and Tuck. Laughing

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/25/18 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh I love Curt, we are enjoying Chelsea very much, Thank you Curt Laughing

zune69

PostPosted: 08/25/18 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Connecticut's bench was complete trash against the Mercury...9 total points?......I guess the Sun could've used Bentley.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/25/18 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Connecticut's bench was complete trash against the Mercury...9 total points?......I guess the Sun could've used Bentley.

The Mercury bench scored 4 pts. The Sun scored 86 pts as a team.
The real problem was the defense. They gave up 56 pts in the second half.

Miller’s evil plan was to tire out PHX by going at a quick pace, because PHX is an old team who just played two days prior. I kinda wonder if Connecticut didn’t wear themselves out.

zune69

PostPosted: 08/25/18 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I kinda wonder if Connecticut didn’t wear themselves out.

Connecticut certainly expended a ton of energy celebrating.I actually was taken aback at how demonstrative some of the Sun players were...Four minutes left in the game, Suns up 1 and Stricklen is waving to the crowd to get up.C.Williams was also very animated.i have no problem with players showing emotion. Connecticut, especially Williams left it all on the court…...However, sometimes it’s best to keep your emotions in check. Connecticut could've really used some of that energy in the last 3-4 minutes of the basketball game.

Randy

PostPosted: 08/25/18 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Shades wrote:
I kinda wonder if Connecticut didn’t wear themselves out.

Connecticut certainly expended a ton of energy celebrating.I actually was taken aback at how demonstrative some of the Sun players were...Four minutes left in the game, Suns up 1 and Stricklen is waving to the crowd to get up.C.Williams was also very animated.i have no problem with players showing emotion. Connecticut, especially Williams left it all on the court…...However, sometimes it’s best to keep your emotions in check. Connecticut could've really used some of that energy in the last 3-4 minutes of the basketball game.

Miller was yelling at them in the 2nd half, I think about how they need to learn how to play tired. The game plan of trying to tire out the Mercury had clearly failed by that point as the Mercury were playing better then.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/26/18 1:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
CT needs a superstar to get them over the hump.

They’re a very good team, they don’t have a great player to get them far in the playoffs.

They need to identify a strong core of players with that star potential and build a team around them that brings out the best in them. Jonquel is the obvious first one and I think CWill can be the 2nd. I think one of AT and Chiney 100% needs to be traded this off-season.

Possibly Both , AT cant score and after this many failed attempts how many chances do you give a player to improve ? I mean yes shes a glue player rebounds assists defense some put backs , but its not irreplaceable . Chiney needs to go as well , Id build around Jonquel .

I think if you build around JJ then you keep AT.

But the line up that gave them a halftime lead against PHX consisted of Chiney and Jonquel on the court together. AT sat on the bench.

PostPosted: 08/26/18 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All three of AT, Chiney, and JJ are all star material. You don't just give that away. You figure out how to get all three 30+ minutes or you trade one of them for all star material at a different position. QED.

- Amanda Gorman
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/26/18 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
zune69 wrote:

The Mercury bench scored 4 pts. The Sun scored 86 pts as a team.
The real problem was the defense. They gave up 56 pts in the second half.

Miller’s evil plan was to tire out PHX by going at a quick pace, because PHX is an old team who just played two days prior. I kinda wonder if Connecticut didn’t wear themselves out.

I was thinking that too...about tiring themselves out. While obviously BG and DT bring very unique defensive problems to opponents, CT's defense was terrible in the 4th quarter, especially for it being a playoff game. They either didn't double BG and let her score, or they did double and then let someone else get a wide open shot. Way too easy for an elimination game.

PostPosted: 08/27/18 3:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was discussing this in the Minny thread so I will bring it here

Banham and #9 for #6

Minny gets a scoring guard with local ties and some experience, not a rookie Reeves might not play and can still grab a post at #9 (B. Turner, Magbegor, Anigwe, Sheppard).

Banham might seem like an expensive price to move up 3 spots, but she becomes a RFA moving her opens up minutes for L. Brown as well as Holmes who will be almost a year back from giving birth and probably coming off an over-seas season, and at #6 you can probably pick Collier who definitely won't be there at #9, (if Collier goes top 5 than Ogunbowale might be there but lets look at it with Collier). Keep your 3 headed monster post rotation with Collier getting some minutes at the 3 for a big line up and some minutes at the 4 for a smaller line up.

J. Thomas/Clarendon
C. Williams/Holmes/L. Brown
Stricklen/Laney
A. Thomas/Collier/Tuck
J. Jones/C. Ogwumike

Keep Laney and Tuck unless something better comes along.

There is nothing wrong with Conn that a little more experience and development can't solve.

mannman

PostPosted: 08/27/18 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Banham and #9 for #6

Minny gets a scoring guard with local ties and some experience, not a rookie Reeves might not play and can still grab a post at #9 (B. Turner, Magbegor, Anigwe, Sheppard).

Banham might seem like an expensive price to move up 3 spots, but she becomes a RFA moving her opens up minutes for L. Brown as well as Holmes who will be almost a year back from giving birth and probably coming off an over-seas season, and at #6 you can probably pick Collier who definitely won't be there at #9, (if Collier goes top 5 than Ogunbowale might be there but lets look at it with Collier). Keep your 3 headed monster post rotation with Collier getting some minutes at the 3 for a big line up and some minutes at the 4 for a smaller line up.

J. Thomas/Clarendon
Stricklen/Laney
A. Thomas/Collier/Tuck
J. Jones/C. Ogwumike

There is nothing wrong with Conn that a little more experience and development can't solve.

Minny should wait until Banham is a free agent, if they are interested, and keep the sixth draft pick. Not that Cheryl would know who to pick, or develop them. This is the same person who drafted Amber Harris, and D Peters, among others she disposed of.

Randy

PostPosted: 08/27/18 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Banham and #9 for #6

J. Thomas/Clarendon
Stricklen/Laney
A. Thomas/Collier/Tuck
J. Jones/C. Ogwumike

I think Holmes is more useful as a 3 than a 2 particularly for the Sun because Laney is not the greatest and Clarendon can also play the 2. For that matter so can Holmes. Of course it all comes down to how well she comes back from having a baby and whether they go back to playing AT at the 3.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 08/27/18 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mannman wrote:
Minny should wait until Banham is a free agent, if they are interested, and keep the sixth draft pick. Not that Cheryl would know who to pick, or develop them. This is the same person who drafted Amber Harris, and D Peters, among others she disposed of.

Peters was a perfectly fine pick. She helped the Lynx a lot more in 2015 than Glory Johnson would've, and the Lynx turned her into Natasha Howard, which was great until Reeve decided she'd rather have a stick of used gum instead.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/09/18 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.prepgirlshoops.com/2018/11/another-gopher-great-enters-the-coaching-ranks-as-rachel-banham-signs-on-at-roseville/

Quote:
“I really want to preserve my body,” said Banham, who was a five-year varsity starter at Lakeville North. “I have had multiple knee surgeries and I just can’t do a full season over there. It’s really hard on your body coming right back and going straight into the season. I really want to make it big in the WNBA so that’s my focus.”

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: