Board Junkies Forums

Minnesota Lynx 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 08/24/18 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
Hey, it is bringing out some gems so enjoy the creativity.

Question, would Howard have done as well with the Lynx as she has done with the Storm?. She has a lot more freedom in the lane at the Storm as they don't have a big like Syl in there. This free flowing game of long versatile players is fun to watch and a winning style.

No. Firstly because you need the opportunity, and she would've continued to be behind Brunson for most of the season (even Seattle/Hughes got a little lucky on that one - it looked like the plan was to start Langhorne and bring Howard off the bench, but Lang got hurt early, and Howard played too well to let her back in). Secondly because she'd never totally won Reeve's trust (hence not wanting to pay her). And then, as you mention, just not necessarily fitting the system as well as she has in Seattle.

It would've taken an early-season injury to Brunson to open the door, and even then I doubt it would've gone as well for her this year as it did in Seattle.

Reeve not trusting superstar talent and getting rid of it for basically nothing because it doesn't fit with the style of the team having to be old and slow has to be one of the stupidest things ever.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/24/18 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

Question, would Howard have done as well with the Lynx as she has done with the Storm?. She has a lot more freedom in the lane at the Storm as they don't have a big like Syl in there. This free flowing game of long versatile players is fun to watch and a winning style.

No. Firstly because you need the opportunity, and she would've continued to be behind Brunson for most of the season (even Seattle/Hughes got a little lucky on that one - it looked like the plan was to start Langhorne and bring Howard off the bench, but Lang got hurt early, and Howard played too well to let her back in). Secondly because she'd never totally won Reeve's trust (hence not wanting to pay her). And then, as you mention, just not necessarily fitting the system as well as she has in Seattle.

It would've taken an early-season injury to Brunson to open the door, and even then I doubt it would've gone as well for her this year as it did in Seattle.

Reeve not trusting superstar talent and getting rid of it for basically nothing because it doesn't fit with the style of the team having to be old and slow has to be one of the stupidest things ever.

You have a very broad definition of "superstar".

PostPosted: 08/24/18 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Howard was statistically the 2nd best player on the best team in the WNBA, and was statistically better than anybody on the Lynx except Fowles this year.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/24/18 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
pilight wrote:

Howard was statistically the 2nd best player on the best team in the WNBA, and was statistically better than anybody on the Lynx except Fowles this year.

That makes her 2010 Camille Little, not a superstar.

PostPosted: 08/24/18 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Anyone else have this mental image of an angst-ridden SpaceJunkie sitting alone in a dark room lit only by candlelight, listening to Dashboard Confessional while writing bad love poetry to Natasha Howard?

Wink

Post of the week ...

PostPosted: 08/24/18 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I think Space Junkie is really Cheryl's Mom and just wants her darling daughter to retire so she can come home and take care of her.

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 08/24/18 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

As I recall the original thought was the Howard would play the 3 and Stewart the 4 position. (At least that's what I was reading from some of the Storm fans.) When that didn't work they moved Howard to the 5 and the rest is history.

BTW - I find SpaceJunkie's posts refreshing and his humor/creativity is outstanding. I don't think the fact the Cheryl Reeve ran over SpaceJunkie's dog has anything to do with it.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/24/18 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

Good point and I doubt Howard would play the 3 over Stewart in the other post, but you could see them interchangeable in the paint.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/24/18 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Shades wrote:
Here’s the announcement for those that seemed to have missed it. Reeve didn’t wait until January to see how things would shake out. She’s already made up her mind who her starting PG is going to be.

http://lynx.wnba.com/news/minnesota-lynx-sign-guard-danielle-robinson-to-contract-extension/

Quote:
“We are pleased to extend Danielle’s contract with the Minnesota Lynx,” said Head Coach and General Manager Cheryl Reeve. “We look forward to her continued growth as a leader of our team.”

So..she’s decided to tank. Twisted Evil

She's tanking for Ionescu assuming she doesn't declare early. After 2019 she loses Augustus, Brunson & Wright as well.

If she ends up trading Maya for low return, then tank talk becomes more feasible. Neither Reeve or Maya are of the tanking ilk. You can justifiably call Reeve an incompetent GM (on a small sample size basis), but she’s not really the tanking type. How many draft picks has Reeve kept, only two from her era. Reeve’s not really into the draft.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 08/24/18 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Maya Moore is planning on leaving the Lynx to play for a real, legitimate WNBA team in the Atlanta Dream next year, a team with a real head coach in Nicki Collen, instead of wanting to have her career continue to be ruined like it was this year in Minnesota.

You’re trying to be funny, but this is a legitimate concern. Maya probably wants to go where she can continue to win, and now she can do that where she considers home. Confused

Shades

PostPosted: 08/24/18 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:

Hard to say. All things being equal, I’m sure she would have gotten just as many minutes as she has with Seattle, considering there’s no more Pierson and Miyem was the disaster I was expecting. Brunson missed a lot of games at the end of the season. Howard could have definitely put Brunson into thinking about earlier retirement, just like Whalen abruptly came to that conclusion.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 08/24/18 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
Maya Moore is planning on leaving the Lynx to play for a real, legitimate WNBA team in the Atlanta Dream next year, a team with a real head coach in Nicki Collen, instead of wanting to have her career continue to be ruined like it was this year in Minnesota.

You’re trying to be funny, but this is a legitimate concern. Maya probably wants to go where she can continue to win, and now she can do that where she considers home. Confused

I'm not really being funny because that is the most Minnesota outcome possible.
The biggest mistake of the Lynx was not firing Cheryl Reeve, if for anything, being an Eagles fan (which may be worse than being a Packers fan).
When I first saw the Howard trade, I figured Reeve must've been so inspired by how the Eagles made it to (and then won) the Super Bowl thanks to the Vikings (their desperation trade a season earlier for Sam Bradford gave the Eagles valuable assets & cap space), she decided she was going to be like all the other Minnesota GMs, and win titles for other teams—that's why my gut told me the top teams in the WNBA this year would be Seattle (because Reeve gave them Howard for nothing), and Atlanta (because they got Montgomery for free), but of course, I am stupid enough to decide my gut was just being stupid, so I didn't go find out how to bet on that. I could've used those thousands of dollars to move out of the basement. Very Happy
Of course, once, my other prediction that I didn't bet on, because I am stupid, of the "cursed" Washington Capitals winning the Stanley Cup (because nothing would be more Minnesota than a team from another "cursed" market winning a title), that made me think the Mystics could possibly win it all, if not the Storm or Dream.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/24/18 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is someone disrespecting Titletown, USA? Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 08/25/18 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The annual “what the Lynx need to do for next season” article came out recently. I can’t copy and past from it because of the StarTribune subscriber nag screen. I can only read it.
This writer panders to Reeve so much. He’s pushing the notion that Reeve “couldn’t afford” Howard. That’s not right. Reeve didn’t think she was worth it compared to all the players she wanted for the team. The article also noted that Montgomery wanted to play closer to home. That I buy. It’s interesting the data base had Montgomery accepting a three year deal from ATL, so they really believed in her, which paid huge dividends to them.... especially when they dealt Clarendon to Connecticut. That seemed to lift a monkey off Montgomery’s back and her performances kinda exploded from that point on. I wonder what stopped the Lynx from coring Montgomery in order to get something for her, other than a fear of getting “stuck” with her at max price. The Lynx should have been so unlucky.

Under contract
Fagbenle - Reeve likes
AJones - Needs to step up defensively
Wright - Really no comment about her performance in the whole article. To me, she showed flashes but overall not near the Wright she used to be
Fowles - Current contract
Robinson - New contract

Returning for sure
Zandalasini

Return is unknown
Brunson - She has a lot on her plate with a new baby and a new business (food truck). Will she want to return? Sounded like Reeve was fully equipped with all the excuses for Brunson not to return. Whether Reeve really wants her to return was not clear.
Augustus - The talk on Augustus was similar to my feelings on her. She needs to find a way to reach that next level to stay a starter on the team. She’s a couple years younger than Taurasi, and Taurasi is still doing Taurasi things. Augustus has not really been doing Augustus-at-her-prime things lately.

Article was deathly silent about Moore’s future with the team. It kind of left you assuming she’d be back, but not flat out stating she’d be back. They have to get her to sign a new contract, so maybe they didn’t want to comment too much about her. But with Zandalisini, who also needs to sign a new contract, they flat out said she’d be back. There was an eery comment that Maya stated needs to “turn the switch off and recharge”. Does that mean Reeve is encouraging Maya to take the off season off or take a whole WNBA season off? Really need clarification there, because if Reeve is encouraging Maya in her prime to take a WNBA season off, you know the tank is on. Hopefully Reeve was just talking about the off season, which is really Maya’s business.

Robinson/AJones
Augustus/Wright
Moore/Zandalasini
Brunson
Fowles/Fagbenle

If none of the brown return, then it gets really scary. They could have a starting lineup like this:

Robinson
Wright
Zandalasini
Fagbenle
Fowles

If this were the case, Reeve can’t afford to get overly fussy about Jones’ defense. She needs some bodies.

The Lynx own the rights to a bunch of international guards, most notably Anna Cruz. I feel the Anna Cruz era has passed, and the rest of those players would smack of desperation if the Lynx were to call on them. Elhtova(sp) might be worth a look. That’s about it.

So best case scenario is they get Maya signed for multiple years; Augustus does what it takes to return to form; AJones goes to a hardcore trainer. Looking like they might have to use the core on Maya. Where’s that extension announcement?

Last edited by Shades on 08/25/18 10:47 am; edited 2 times in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 08/25/18 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Maya not playing in Asia this year? That seems to be a good deal - short season and high pay. Then there are several months to 'recharge'

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 08/25/18 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Is Maya not playing in Asia this year? That seems to be a good deal - short season and high pay. Then there are several months to 'recharge'

Yeah, she used to play in China. If I remember right, she took the whole off season off before the 2017 season (probably Reeve’s favorite scenario). Before the 2018 season, UMMC in Russia must have given Maya an offer she couldn’t refuse. I think going from that extended playoff season right back into the WNBA without a break must have fatigued her and possibly got her tendinitis to act up.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 08/25/18 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Patrick Borzi @BorzMN 16hr
ICYMI re #Lynx today: Augustus probably coming back next year. Brunson isn't sure. Fowles finished season with ruptured UCL in non-shooting elbow and hopes to avoid surgery. She & a worn-out Maya Moore will not play overseas this winter. #WNBA⁠ ⁠

Shades

PostPosted: 08/25/18 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Brunson “isn’t sure” now, that shows her heart really isn’t in it.
Of course she may discover that babies are really expensive.

justintyme

PostPosted: 08/25/18 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Or it could just mean that she isn't sure sitting there with a broken face and a bad concussion, right after an exhausting season ended. Even with heart it would be tough to "be sure". I think we need to check back in in a few months and if she still isn't sure, then start worrying about her heart.

PostPosted: 08/25/18 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The UCL for Fowles is a big deal if she has to get it operated on -- that's Tommy John and that's a year. At least.

She might be able to wait until she retires to get it fixed, but right now, her WNBA health insurance would cover it, and she'd get elite rehab.

Moore's decision would be more financial. She can take the winter off and lose $250,000 (or whatever), or take next summer off and lose $100,000. Or she can just keep playing, figuring that in a few years, she won't have the opportunity to make that kind of money so get it while the getting's good.

(Down the road, if she turns into a good coach, she can make that much, but who knows whether she wants to ... or will be good at it.)

Tough call for both, really ...

PostPosted: 08/25/18 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like Moore is heading into the offseason intending not to play overseas, which is a good start. For someone as good as her there'll be a well-paying midseason contract waiting for her if she wants it, like she took last season at UMMC. At least at that point it'd be a reasonably short overseas season for her, even if she takes it.

If she was playing through it, hopefully the Fowles injury can be rehabbed rather than surgically repaired. But the word 'rupture' never sounds positive.

PostPosted: 08/25/18 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought I heard Maya and DT were splitting a Russian contract so wondering if the season has really taken its toll on these players.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/25/18 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The UCL for Fowles is a big deal if she has to get it operated on -- that's Tommy John and that's a year. At least.

Pitching is probably a lot harder on an elbow than basketball in the non-shooting arm.

ClayK wrote:
She might be able to wait until she retires to get it fixed, but right now, her WNBA health insurance would cover it, and she'd get elite rehab.

I’m sure Taylor is honorable enough to take care of it whenever she chooses.

ClayK wrote:
Moore's decision would be more financial. She can take the winter off and lose $250,000 (or whatever), or take next summer off and lose $100,000. Or she can just keep playing, figuring that in a few years, she won't have the opportunity to make that kind of money so get it while the getting's good.

More like $500+K
Her big sponser that pays her millions will probably want her to stay in the limelight.

But as far as after basketball playing career goes, you seem to be selling Maya really short. I think she’ll do well in whatever she wants to pursue, basketball-related or not. I expect huge things from her. This is the main part of the reason why I don’t really expect a Bird or Taurasi-length WNBA career from Maya. She has a lot of other things she can do.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/25/18 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
I thought I heard Maya and DT were splitting a Russian contract so wondering if the season has really taken its toll on these players.

That's what ultimately happened last season, but it would be very unusual to go into the season planning for that to happen.

PostPosted: 08/25/18 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Shades wrote:

Or it could just mean that she isn't sure sitting there with a broken face and a bad concussion, right after an exhausting season ended. Even with heart it would be tough to "be sure". I think we need to check back in in a few months and if she still isn't sure, then start worrying about her heart.

I am still outraged at Reeve for injuring Brunson, because Brunson's injury was a combination of karma for deciding she didn't need Howard to back-up Brunson this year (because Brunson could never get injured, or need rest, or anything during this compressed season), and since she got injured by Tiffany Hayes, karma for Reeve spending all of the season basically saying that Hayes shouldn't be an All-Star, because her saying all of the Lynx starters need to be All-Stars basically means a deserving player like Hayes would have to be left off the team to make room for Augustus & Whalen.
Also Reeve is responsible for injuring D-Rob, because D-Rob only got injured because she was playing well enough that the Natasha Howard Curse was afraid the Lynx might win too many games above .500 (and not lose in the first round of the playoffs), so the curse took her out too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 4 of 31

Jump to: