RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

How far the game has come: Connecticut vs. Phoenix

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 08/24/18 1:34 pm    ::: How far the game has come: Connecticut vs. Phoenix Reply Reply with quote

That was a superb basketball game -- well-played, well-coached, well-officiated.

The 2018 WNBA was the best ever in terms of quality of play, pace and product on the floor, and that game exemplified it.

As a team, Phoenix played wonderfully down the stretch, refusing to allow Connecticut to double-team Griner by moving the ball with precise, crisp passes.

Individually, Taurasi was simply great, hitting big shots, making great passes, grabbing one amazing rebound, getting to the rim. One of the game's best ever had one of her best games ever.

Griner was tremendous. Calm, smooth, in control -- blocking shots, tipping passes, making great decisions. One of her best games.

DeWanna Bonner played every second, and never relented. Not quite at the level of the first two, but close.

Courtney Williams. Couldn't make the Georgia high school all-star game after her senior year, but made shot after shot on the biggest stage. And went right after Taurasi.

Alyssa Thomas. Amazing around the basket, truly ambidextrous. Strong, but of course can't shoot.

Connecticut played very well but inexplicably ran out of gas late. Still, if Chiney is healthy, it might have been a different story. (Of course if Sancho Lyttle is healthy, things change too.)

All in all, though, a wonderful game that any basketball fan would have enjoyed, at every level. Individual and team play at the highest level ...

PostPosted: 08/24/18 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lol its just one game , this could have been put in the PHX vs CONN thread though . IJS Laughing

PostPosted: 08/24/18 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 08/24/18 4:16 pm    ::: Re: How far the game has come: Connecticut vs. Phoenix Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
That was a superb basketball game -- well-played, well-coached, well-officiated.

The 2018 WNBA was the best ever in terms of quality of play, pace and product on the floor, and that game exemplified it.

As a team, Phoenix played wonderfully down the stretch, refusing to allow Connecticut to double-team Griner by moving the ball with precise, crisp passes.

Individually, Taurasi was simply great, hitting big shots, making great passes, grabbing one amazing rebound, getting to the rim. One of the game's best ever had one of her best games ever.

Griner was tremendous. Calm, smooth, in control -- blocking shots, tipping passes, making great decisions. One of her best games.

DeWanna Bonner played every second, and never relented. Not quite at the level of the first two, but close.

Courtney Williams. Couldn't make the Georgia high school all-star game after her senior year, but made shot after shot on the biggest stage. And went right after Taurasi.

Alyssa Thomas. Amazing around the basket, truly ambidextrous. Strong, but of course can't shoot.

Connecticut played very well but inexplicably ran out of gas late. Still, if Chiney is healthy, it might have been a different story. (Of course if Sancho Lyttle is healthy, things change too.)

All in all, though, a wonderful game that any basketball fan would have enjoyed, at every level. Individual and team play at the highest level ...

It was a good game in a season of 100 good games.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/24/18 4:44 pm    ::: Re: How far the game has come: Connecticut vs. Phoenix Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
ClayK wrote:

It was a good game in a season of 100 good games.

Which is why I went with the thread ... maybe it was just luck, but it seemed like almost every game I watched was uptempo with everyone going hard.

And this one was -- well, I won't say the cherry on the top because I can't stand Maraschino cherries -- the extra scoop. (Here's something, don't know if it's good or bad: I was going to say "extra scoop of dark chocolate," which is my favorite flavor, but I thought "No, people might think it's racist." Then I was going to say vanilla, my second favorite flavor, but same thing ... sad, in a way.)

PostPosted: 08/24/18 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Then go with Chocolate - Vanilla swirl, or Chocolate Peanut Butter, my favorite. As Freud once said "sometimes an ice cream is just an ice cream."

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/24/18 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was a very good game in terms of both team and individual play. With a few exceptions: The Sun team offense just seemed to degenerate in the last three minutes and they couldn't score; and Chiney was not effective on offense or as a defender of Griner all game long.
Aladyyn

PostPosted: 08/24/18 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
It was a very good game in terms of both team and individual play. With a few exceptions: The Sun team offense just seemed to degenerate in the last three minutes and they couldn't score; and Chiney was not effective on offense or as a defender of Griner all game long.

Happens when you don't have a superstar scorer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: