RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Connecticut Sun 2019
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davis4632

PostPosted: 08/24/18 4:54 pm    ::: Connecticut Sun 2019 Reply Reply with quote

A second straight elimination game exit for the Sun. Will Jonquel Jones coming into next season in playing shape? Can the Sun improve on their fools gold of a bench? Will Curt Miller pulled off another trade that will leave him on the short end of stick again?

Randy

PostPosted: 08/24/18 5:23 pm    ::: Re: Connecticut Sun 2019 Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
A second straight elimination game exit for the Sun. Will Jonquel Jones coming into next season in playing shape? Can the Sun improve on their fools gold of a bench? Will Curt Miller pulled off another trade that will leave him on the short end of stick again?

Hard to believe she was that out of shape. I think it had more to do with Miller not being able to work JJ and Chiney into the same offensive scheme. Seems like JJ+Chiney<<Either one one alone.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/24/18 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Chiney-Jonquel situation is interesting. How often were they on court together? Curious what other missing piece this team needs. Their bench is pretty deep with Clarendon, J Jones, Banham, Tuck.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
RI_Sun_Fan

PostPosted: 08/24/18 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Question that's way too early to ask...

IF the Sun finish with the same record, and the same place in the standings, and lose an elimination game to Phoenix again... Would Miller survive or would the Sun go in another direction to get them over the hump?

toad455

PostPosted: 08/24/18 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RI_Sun_Fan wrote:

IF the Sun finish with the same record, and the same place in the standings, and lose an elimination game to Phoenix again... Would Miller survive or would the Sun go in another direction to get them over the hump?

Connecticut just needs to avoid DT & the Mercury in the playoffs.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/24/18 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CT needs a superstar to get them over the hump.

They’re a very good team, they don’t have a great player to get them far in the playoffs.

Last edited by mercfan3 on 08/24/18 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/24/18 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Last year it looked like that superstar could be Jonquel Jones though, without any need for moves or changes. That could still happen.

I really hope Courtney Williams continues to develop and progress as well, because as exciting as she is she's far from the finished product just yet. It's one of those rare situations where the advanced numbers are a reminder that she's not as far along as we might think. That PER of 16 says a player just above average, showing how much the complete lack of free throws, endless barrage of mid-range 2s (at a decent but not earth-shattering percentage) and mediocre defense still holds her back. She kept them in it last night towards the end, but ultimately needed 23 shots for 27 points even with a freak three-point shooting night. Needs to spend the offseason watching a steady diet of Tiffany Hayes tapes.

This is still a really good team. I'd be surprised if they make many changes before next season. They'll probably be hoping to raise their ceiling through internal development (and maybe avoiding Phoenix in the playoffs) rather than making a big personnel move.

PostPosted: 08/24/18 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
RI_Sun_Fan wrote:

Connecticut just needs to avoid DT & the Mercury in the playoffs.

+1 i thought they could make the finals for sure. Til i saw the bracket.

PostPosted: 08/24/18 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do they trade their draft pick? Their #9 pick & L Brown to??? They get Bria Holmes next season as well.

PG: JThomas/Clarendon
SG: Williams/Holmes/Banham
SF: Stricklen/Laney
PF: AThomas/Tuck
C: Ogwumike/JJones/BJones

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 08/24/18 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Do they trade their draft pick? Their #9 pick & L Brown to??? They get Bria Holmes next season as well.

PG: JThomas/Clarendon
SG: Williams/Holmes/Banham
SF: Stricklen/Laney
PF: AThomas/Tuck
C: Ogwumike/JJones/BJones

I secretly have always wondered if Lexie Brown is going to be a replacement for Banham because the Sun will eventually have to give out contracts to everybody else (Jonquel Jones, Tuck, Williams). And I believe there is a law that says the Lynx must have as many Minnesota-native Gopher stars as possible.
Is there a player at pick #6 that the Sun really want who won't be around at #9? If so #9 pick and Rachel Banham to the Lynx for #6 pick and ??? (a future pick of sorts?)

Randy

PostPosted: 08/24/18 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not sure Banham is worth all the scheming that you and Shades are doing to get her. But Captain Curt will have to decide whether she is worth keeping in when her rookie deal is up.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/24/18 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I'm not sure Banham is worth all the scheming that you and Shades are doing to get her. But Captain Curt will have to decide whether she is worth keeping in when her rookie deal is up.

Of course she's not worth scheming. She scored 5 points a game this season to bring her career average to 4.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/24/18 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Randy wrote:

Of course she's not worth scheming. She scored 5 points a game this season to bring her career average to 4.

She did at least manage to make herself mildly intriguing this season though. She looked like a viable WNBA player for the first time. But because Curt Miller did what Katie Smith was completely incapable of - using your bench when starters were out, but knowing your best options and going back to them once they were available - Banham's chances faded once players got healthy.

She looks like she might have a WNBA career now, but it's not going to be as a primary ballhandler. It's as a gunner.

PostPosted: 08/24/18 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:

Is there a player at pick #6 that the Sun really want who won't be around at #9? If so #9 pick and Rachel Banham to the Lynx for #6 pick and ??? (a future pick of sorts?)

Why add the future pick? You’re as reckless with the assets as Reeve.

#9 + Banham for #6 is probably a fair deal, but Reeve may have her eye on another, even cheaper Gopher (think hard).

Banham played as hard as I’ve ever seen her as a pro in this last game, but maybe the Lynx can wait until she’s free since CON will be adding at least a couple new players to their squad. Why help Miller out, like PHX did with both Bone and Camille Little. Miller cored Camille Little and was able to unload her onto the PHX Suckas.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 08/24/18 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:

#9 + Banham for #6 is probably a fair deal, but Reeve may have her eye on another Gopher.

Banham played as hard as I’ve ever seen her as a pro in this last game, but maybe the Lynx can wait until she’s maybe free since CON will be adding at least a couple new players to their squad. Why help Miller out, like PHX did with both Bone and Camille Little. Miller cored Camille Little and was able to unload her onto the PHX Suckas.

By future pick, I meant maybe a 2nd round pick, at best. But if the Lynx ever wanted her, they can wait until after the 2019 season when she is a RFA. It was more of a counter-proposal to the idea that the Sun would trade Lexie Brown, when she hasn't even gotten enough time to show what she's capable of (most rookie guards don't do much as a rookie anyways, even if they get playing time), and having a contributor on a rookie contract could come in use if the Sun want to keep and thus have to pay everybody else on their team next year and beyond 2019 (Banham might be the odd-person out then).

Shades

PostPosted: 08/24/18 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lexie Brown is probably better than AJones, but AJones has a year experience on her. Lexie Brown was the ACC defensive player of the year and can hit long bomb threes. Kinda of a rare combination. But she’s in a similar situation as AJones, not really getting the opportunity to play.

Unless they go to a serious trainer (ala Diggins and Vandersloot), neither will likely advance enough to help a team in the near future.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 08/25/18 12:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:

#9 + Banham for #6 is probably a fair deal, but Reeve may have her eye on another Gopher.

Banham played as hard as I’ve ever seen her as a pro in this last game, but maybe the Lynx can wait until she’s maybe free since CON will be adding at least a couple new players to their squad. Why help Miller out, like PHX did with both Bone and Camille Little. Miller cored Camille Little and was able to unload her onto the PHX Suckas.

By future pick, I meant maybe a 2nd round pick, at best. But if the Lynx ever wanted her, they can wait until after the 2019 season when she is a RFA. It was more of a counter-proposal to the idea that the Sun would trade Lexie Brown, when she hasn't even gotten enough time to show what she's capable of (most rookie guards don't do much as a rookie anyways, even if they get playing time), and having a contributor on a rookie contract could come in use if the Sun want to keep and thus have to pay everybody else on their team next year and beyond 2019 (Banham might be the odd-person out then).

Actually this trade is not bad at all

Banham and #9 for #6

Minny gets a guard with local ties and some experience who with more minutes can probably be another scoring option for the Lynx and can still get a post at #9 (Magbegor, B. Turner, Sheppard, Anigwe, Gustafason).

Conn can add a 3/4 with local ties in Collier at #6 (A nice back up for A. Thomas until she does the opposite of Alyssa and transitions full-time to the 3) or a better scoring guard than Williams in Ogunbowale. (It is probably worth it to lose Banham who you might not be able to afford after RFA to move up to get Collier or Ogunbowale who will both be gone by #9) Start J. Thomas and Ogunbowale with C. Williams as super sub at the 1 and 2 with Clarendon as your steady hand vet, and L. Brown in development.

RI_Sun_Fan

PostPosted: 08/25/18 12:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another issue I have is with Chiney. She's had 2 knee surgeries and didn't appear in the last 2 regular season games and didn't look 100% in the playoff game off the bench and needed a bike set up off the court due to knee soreness.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 08/25/18 3:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

They’re a very good team, they don’t have a great player to get them far in the playoffs.

They need to identify a strong core of players with that star potential and build a team around them that brings out the best in them. Jonquel is the obvious first one and I think CWill can be the 2nd. I think one of AT and Chiney 100% needs to be traded this off-season.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/25/18 8:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

They need to identify a strong core of players with that star potential and build a team around them that brings out the best in them. Jonquel is the obvious first one and I think CWill can be the 2nd. I think one of AT and Chiney 100% needs to be traded this off-season.

Possibly Both , AT cant score and after this many failed attempts how many chances do you give a player to improve ? I mean yes shes a glue player rebounds assists defense some put backs , but its not irreplaceable . Chiney needs to go as well , Id build around Jonquel .

PostPosted: 08/25/18 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Possibly Both , AT cant score and after this many failed attempts how many chances do you give a player to improve ? I mean yes shes a glue player rebounds assists defense some put backs , but its not irreplaceable . Chiney needs to go as well , Id build around Jonquel .

I think if you build around JJ then you keep AT.

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/25/18 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chiney's injury situation probably somewhat lessens her trade value, but if you want to dump her, I'm sure someone would take her. What are you looking for in return though? Jonquel likes to have the lane space on offense, but she doesn't like the banging on defense, which means her partner would optimally be big on defense but somehow get out of her way on offense. That's not such an easy player to find.

- Amanda Gorman
toad455

PostPosted: 08/25/18 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chiney to New York for Stokes and the #14 pick?

Shades

PostPosted: 08/25/18 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Chiney's injury situation probably somewhat lessens her trade value, but if you want to dump her

SpaceJunkie probably won’t like this but Chiney for #6 all day! I don’t believe there’s an ESPN studio in Minneapolis, but maybe they can just give her a satellite truck and do some remotes with her. I think most of her stuff is done outside the summer anyway.

Last year I remember proposing Chiney trades (namely the Lavender and something one) and got chided for it. Now everybody is pushing for a Chiney trade. Am I the only one to notice that Chiney was pretty good this season?

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 08/25/18 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I predict during some point in Jonquel Jones WNBA career she will be playing for the Washington Mystics. Jonquel Jones right now probably will enjoy playing for Mike Thibault and returning to the city she played College Basketball at GW

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: