Total Votes : 49

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/23/18 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Between the absurd travel and very legit physical issues for their megastars, it's like what can you do?

Play better in the final game of the regular season and earn the 4th seed?

That's fair. I mean, I think they were toast in that game too but the point is well taken.

Yeah, the schedule obviously didn't help them, and they've got the injury/illness issues, but it does all come off as a bit unfair to Washington - who've on a basic level been a better team than LA this season, especially for the last month or so. Maybe the Sparks wouldn't have been blown out, but I think Washington wins a series against LA even if the Sparks were properly rested.

They just played not even 7 days ago and it took a buzzer beating effort. Washingtons not 30 points better than LA. However they may have still won this game with rest i agree i just wanted it to be competitive for the league.

A game Mo Currie started and put up a -23 in. Atkins didn't play. That starting lineup - all five pieces together - is central to how good Washington have been for stretches this season. Also, it was one freaking game. I said series for a reason. The more games you play, the more likely the better team is going to win out and outplay the randomness that can help the lesser team through.

PostPosted: 08/23/18 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So wait is this going to be the new styx home court ? Or was this just a temporary conflict move?

PostPosted: 08/23/18 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
It’s really not a great matchup for the Mystics.

Candace matches up with Delle Donne (one of two Players in The league that can). And Beard can make Toliver’s life hell. Meanwhile, they don’t have anyone to match up with Chelsea.

This is, of course, if the Sparks team decides to show up.

This did not hold up well.

I think the Styx are gonna go to the finals.

PostPosted: 08/24/18 12:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
So wait is this going to be the new styx home court ? Or was this just a temporary conflict move?

No, that's not their new home court. They played at GWU's home court. It was a conflict move. Renovations going on at Cap One Arena. Gotta be ready for the Wiz/Caps seasons.

PostPosted: 08/24/18 1:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The George Washington University Smith Center seats 5,000. Announced attendance for the game was 3,548.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/24/18 2:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
It’s really not a great matchup for the Mystics.

Candace matches up with Delle Donne (one of two Players in The league that can). And Beard can make Toliver’s life hell. Meanwhile, they don’t have anyone to match up with Chelsea.

This is, of course, if the Sparks team decides to show up.

This did not hold up well.

I think the Styx are gonna go to the finals.

Good prediction. The Dream do not have their megawatt superstar to help them.

PostPosted: 08/24/18 4:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Between the absurd travel and very legit physical issues for their megastars, it's like what can you do?

Parker was asked about the travel post-game and she basically said as much: they didn't get it done in the regular season. They took too long to take care of things.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/24/18 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

It’s also plenty fair.

The higher seeds played better throughout the year.
If they have to play a single elimination, they deserve it on their home court.

It might have been a little more fair to have another day’s rest between games..but Phoenix won. So it wasn’t like it was impossible.

PostPosted: 08/24/18 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Parker was asked about the travel post-game and she basically said as much: they didn't get it done in the regular season. They took too long to take care of things.

It's like blaming the refs -- if you play better, it doesn't matter.

If the Sparks finished first or second, they're resting right now. Well, they're resting right now anyway ...

PostPosted: 08/24/18 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FIBA doesn't have to schedule the WC at the most inconvenient time for the WNBA, but they've done so consistently since 2002. The WC had never been in September prior to the WNBA's existence, now it's always right when the WNBA playoffs should be happening. The most common time of year for the WC before 2002 was April. Fat chance of us ever seeing that again. That's why we're stuck with this compacted schedule and travel problems.

PostPosted: 08/24/18 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
FIBA doesn't have to schedule the WC at the most inconvenient time for the WNBA, but they've done so consistently since 2002. The WC had never been in September prior to the WNBA's existence, now it's always right when the WNBA playoffs should be happening. The most common time of year for the WC before 2002 was April. Fat chance of us ever seeing that again. That's why we're stuck with this compacted schedule and travel problems.

Only if you're counting the ones from the 50s, 60s and 70s when the global calendar was completely different and there was no club system that they cared about integrating whatsoever. In the modern era it's always been a summer tournament. You want it in June, July or August instead? That'd create just as many problems.

PostPosted: 08/24/18 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:

Only if you're counting the ones from the 50s, 60s and 70s when the global calendar was completely different and there was no club system that they cared about integrating whatsoever. In the modern era it's always been a summer tournament. You want it in June, July or August instead? That'd create just as many problems.

It would be easier to accommodate mid-season than post-season. I don't recall having any of these travel issues in Olympic years.

PostPosted: 08/24/18 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
UofDel_Alum wrote:
Sparks have no chance of winning if they allow 25 points a quarter.

Sparks look tired from the brief clips im getting to see at work . Sucks they couldn't play at full strength .

It's like the opposite of the Lynx game. Parker playing fine but Gray and Ogwumike have been a non-factor and a liability.

Could it be that Lindsay Whalen just makes Chelsea Gray look much better than she actually is?
I have quite a bit to say about the Sparks season, but for now I will focus on these two statements.

It is no surprise that either Ogwumike or Gray did not play well in this game. Both of them played over 37 min in the Min. game. Ordinarily it wouldn't be a big deal but when put into context of number of games played, travel involved it had an accumulative effect. With Nneka especially because of her mono. With Gray because she played the most min. of any Spark due to the closeness and importance of all the games. As a point you expend more energy than other players, especially in the minni game so it was no surprise to me that she would have little left for this game.

As to the statement that Whalen makes Gray look better than she is- That is is absurd. The WNBA is not a pick up game where you take the player who takes you. Neither do position groups always match up with each other. To make the assumption that PG will always match up one on one is beyond ignorant.

With Gray that is seldom if ever the case. The other team usually puts their best parameter defender on her. An Alana Beard if they have one. Usually it is a wing ore a tall off guard. The opposing point seldom does. The point usually expends more energy on offense so you do not put them on the other teams most dangerous offensive threat. If Whalen guarded Gray she would put up 30 + points. When they say that The Minni has no one to match up with Gray they are not restricting it to only their guards. They mean no-body. Gray has also been the Sparks second best parameter defender next to Beard and that gap is closing. She, however, usually defends a wing as playing off the ball allows her to conserve energy or play help defense.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 08/24/18 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll give the LA Sparks this much, they came to DC and took their medicine, they didn't do a Las Vegas Aces.

Hey, how about giving the Mystics their due.

By the way, I'm guessing Ariel Atkins wears #7 because that was (Ariel Atkins Ass't Coach while at Texas who recommended Ariel to Mike Thibault) Tina Thompson's uniform number

Randy

PostPosted: 08/24/18 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mystics deserve a lot of credit, not just for this game but in the way in which the players have worked to improve. Hawkins and Cloud have improved a lot, esp. in their 3 point shooting. Thibault also deserves a lot of credit for spotting the talent in the draft such as Cloud and Atkins.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: