RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2019 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 72, 73, 74  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 08/22/18 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marina Mabrey?

And it wouldn't be amiss to start including Ionescu in some of these.

PostPosted: 08/22/18 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here’s an article from December

WNBL: Sandy Brondello dubs Canberra Capitals' Eziyoda Magbegor 'future of the Opals'

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/topic/act-sport-5u2/wnbl-sandy-brondello-dubs-canberra-capitals-eziyoda-magbegor-future-of-the-opals-20171211-h029fv.html

Quote:
Australian coach Sandy Brondello has christened Ezi Magbegor "the future of the Opals", forecasting a "very long and successful career" for the Canberra Capitals' brightest young star.

Quote:
The future of Australian basketball is a title Magbegor would rarely have dreamed of, especially considering she was born in New Zealand to Nigerian parents Patience and Appolus.
Now Brondello has urged the promising Capitals forward to maintain the fearless approach that has seen her quickly become a force to be reckoned with in the WNBL.

"Ezi, she is the future of the Opals in her position with her athleticism," Brondello said.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 08/22/18 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
1. Indiana - Kalani Brown
2. Las Vegas - Teaira McCowan
3. Chicago - Asia Durr
4. New York - Arike Ogunbowale
5. Dallas - Marina Mabrey
6. Minnesota - Napheesa Collier
7. Los Angeles - Katie Lou Samuelson
8. Phoenix - Caliya Robinson
9. Connecticut- Sophie Cunningham
10. Washington - Kristine Anigwe
11. Atlanta - Megan Gustafson
12. Seattle - Kitija Laksa

Mabrey? Dallas would be better off taking Samuelson, Collier or even Cunningham over her.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/23/18 12:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Marina Mabrey?

You know something? Cool

PostPosted: 08/23/18 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
3. Chicago - Asia Durr

Your the 2nd person to come up with this Bullsh*t Laughing. NO its not happening. Any team that takes Mabrey in the 1st Rd would be a damn fool ! #ExcuseMylanguage im still going through depression after yesterdays loss.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Good Call. You just got rid of some problem children, don't want any more.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/23/18 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

WNBL: Sandy Brondello dubs Canberra Capitals' Eziyoda Magbegor 'future of the Opals'

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/topic/act-sport-5u2/wnbl-sandy-brondello-dubs-canberra-capitals-eziyoda-magbegor-future-of-the-opals-20171211-h029fv.html

Quote:
Australian coach Sandy Brondello has christened Ezi Magbegor "the future of the Opals", forecasting a "very long and successful career" for the Canberra Capitals' brightest young star.

Quote:
The future of Australian basketball is a title Magbegor would rarely have dreamed of, especially considering she was born in New Zealand to Nigerian parents Patience and Appolus.
Now Brondello has urged the promising Capitals forward to maintain the fearless approach that has seen her quickly become a force to be reckoned with in the WNBL.

"Ezi, she is the future of the Opals in her position with her athleticism," Brondello said.

The Merc could be changing their name to the PH OPALS. Laughing

Randy

PostPosted: 08/23/18 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Shades wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Laughing

Shades

PostPosted: 08/23/18 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Shades wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

It’s part of the evil Brondello plan to dominate international basketball. She’ll have the whole Opals team training together as the Mercury, playing against the best teams in the world.

Expect a Griner for Cambage and George trade in this offseason. Surprised

Last edited by Shades on 08/27/18 4:16 am; edited 1 time in total
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 08/23/18 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Marina Mabrey?

Why? Because a handful of players have done it in the last decade? She went to an up-and-coming Oregon program for a reason. I don't think she plans on leaving without a Championship. I won't consider it until that happens. Speculating on early declaration in general is pointless, IMO.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/23/18 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
3. Chicago - Asia Durr

Your the 2nd person to come up with this Bullsh*t Laughing. NO its not happening. Any team that takes Mabrey in the 1st Rd would be a damn fool ! #ExcuseMylanguage im still going through depression after yesterdays loss.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Good Call. You just got rid of some problem children, don't want any more.

Laughing Laughing I Actually Like Marina Mabrey the player Laughing Laughing But do i want us wasting our #5 pick on her ? HELL NO !

PostPosted: 08/23/18 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Marina Mabrey?

Why? Because a handful of players have done it in the last decade? She went to an up-and-coming Oregon program for a reason. I don't think she plans on leaving without a Championship. I won't consider it until that happens. Speculating on early declaration in general is pointless, IMO.

How do you know Clay doesnt have insight on this topic ? Sounds like an Oregon fan who doesnt want this wave to end Laughing #ThatsFair

PostPosted: 08/23/18 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
3. Chicago - Asia Durr

Laughing Laughing I Actually Like Marina Mabrey the player Laughing Laughing But do i want us wasting our #5 pick on her ? HELL NO !

I understand how you feel. That's how I feel about mock drafts that have the Sky drafting wings instead of someone that will help with rebounds and improving the quality of defense.

PostPosted: 08/23/18 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A little extrapolation on my picks with one minor change. I think they're pretty good. But there's a long time between then and now.

1. Indiana - Kalani Brown - Depending on who has the better season between her and McCowan. I'm going with Brown for now because she can create her own shot on the block and has more range.
2. Las Vegas - Katie Lou Samuelson - They've got the 1, 2 and 4 positions covered for the next decade. They could go with one of Brown or McCowan here, but for now I'm going with the star power.
3. Chicago - Teaira McCowan - See the #1 pick. If she can prove to be more dangerous on offense than pick and roll layups and putbacks, she could take over the top spot.
4. New York - Napheesa Collier - New York's roster right now consists of a disgruntled superstar post, a bunch of homogeneous combo guards, and 1 really promising rookie. We'll see what happens there, but I'm going with Collier because she can fill multiple holes in their frontcourt rotation.
5. Dallas - Asia Durr - I don't think Allisha Gray is a viable 3rd option on a Championship team, and the Wings are the worst perimeter shooting team in the league. I think Durr fixes both of those issues.
6. Minnesota - Eziyoda Magbagor - OK, Shades convinced me. Minnesota needs a post. She might be better than this spot though.
7. Los Angeles - Arike Ogunbowale - Beard and Carson ain't gonna be around forever, and I'm not sure I buy Sims as a 2-guard long-term. Plus, Gray and Ogunbowale together would be one of the more entertaining backcourts in the league.
8. Phoenix - Jessica Shepard - Phoenix struggled without Lyttle in the lineup. Shepard showed the range necessary to play the 4 with Griner during her sophomore year at Nebraska, so I think she's a better fit than any of the other forward prospects.
9. Connecticut - Brianna Turner - Connecticut is the biggest question mark for me, so I'm going with best player available. EXPECT A BIG TRADE this offseason. Connecticut's roster is loaded, but there is a huge imbalance between wings and posts. They need to fix that if they are gonna win a championship.
10. Washington - Megan Gustafson - BPA, definitely fits the system.
11. Atlanta - Kristine Anigwe - BPA, also a good fit.
12. Seattle - Sophie Cunningham - BPA, added depth. Puts a fire under KML.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 08/23/18 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kristine Anigwe seems like a real wild card for next year. Her Freshman and Sophomore seasons made her look like a potential lottery pick. But last year she seemed to regress and had both attitude and physical problems, neither of which were clearly explained. If she shows a return to form this season I could see her moving back to the top 6.

sigur3

PostPosted: 08/23/18 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Kristine Anigwe seems like a real wild card for next year. Her Freshman and Sophomore seasons made her look like a potential lottery pick. But last year she seemed to regress and had both attitude and physical problems, neither of which were clearly explained. If she shows a return to form this season I could see her moving back to the top 6.

Her lack of development through her first three seasons has disappointed me. She's got all the physical tools in the world though, definitely an intriguing prospect.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/23/18 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
A little extrapolation on my picks with one minor change. I think they're pretty good. But there's a long time between then and now.

1. Indiana - Kalani Brown - Depending on who has the better season between her and McCowan. I'm going with Brown for now because she can create her own shot on the block and has more range.
2. Las Vegas - Katie Lou Samuelson - They've got the 1, 2 and 4 positions covered for the next decade. They could go with one of Brown or McCowan here, but for now I'm going with the star power.
3. Chicago - Teaira McCowan - See the #1 pick. If she can prove to be more dangerous on offense than pick and roll layups and putbacks, she could take over the top spot.
4. New York - Napheesa Collier - New York's roster right now consists of a disgruntled superstar post, a bunch of homogeneous combo guards, and 1 really promising rookie. We'll see what happens there, but I'm going with Collier because she can fill multiple holes in their frontcourt rotation. .

Here is the question - is A'ja Wilson really a four?

In terms of minutes this year, Las Vegas looked like this (without factoring in total games played, though outside of Jefferson, every player played in at least 24 games):

1. A'ja Wilson - 30.6
2. Kayla McBride - 32.3
3. Tamera Young - 26.7
4. Kelsey Plum - 25.5
5. Dearica Hamby - 14.4
6. Moriah Jefferson - 15.7
7. Nia Coffey - 13.8
8. Carolyn Swords - 14.4
9. Lindsay Allen - 14.9
10. Kelsey Bone - 10.8
11. JiSu Park - 13.0

I have not calculated the +/- numbers and efficiency ratings for Wilson at the 4 vs. Wilson at the 5. And there were times that a default center started for defensive purposes against some of the really talented veteran centers.

But Las Vegas needs the second front court player - whether a forward or center - to be able to contribute both offensively and defensively. Swords, Bone, and Park could not do that.

Kalani Brown and Teaira McCowan have yet to show their ability to be anything other than centers. They do not have the ability to face-up and hit outside shots on a consistent basis.

If I were AFO/Bill Laimbeer, I would consider trading a few spots down and looking at Napheesa Collier or Ezi Magbagor. Collier will fit well next to Wilson and has expanded range, passing abilities, good athleticism, and the ability to be a primary or secondary scorer (though she is only 6-1/6-2). If Laimbeer wants to take a chance on Magbagor as a young, but incredibly athletic face-up 4 with quick 1st step attacking abilities at 6-4 (but does not yet have the shooting range), that could also be a very good pick a few years down the road.

The bigger question is if we assume that Las Vegas gets the #2 pick, with which team could a trade be made.

barryi22

PostPosted: 08/23/18 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="CamrnCrz1974"][quote="PickledGinger"]A little extrapolation on my picks with one minor change. I think they're pretty good. But there's a long time between then and now.

[b]1. Indiana - Kalani Brown[/b] - Depending on who has the better season between her and McCowan. I'm going with Brown for now because she can create her own shot on the block and has more range.
[b]2. Las Vegas - Katie Lou Samuelson[/b] - They've got the 1, 2 and 4 positions covered for the next decade. They could go with one of Brown or McCowan here, but for now I'm going with the star power.
[b]3. Chicago - Teaira McCowan[/b] - See the #1 pick. If she can prove to be more dangerous on offense than pick and roll layups and putbacks, she could take over the top spot.
[b]4. New York - Napheesa Collier[/b] - New York's roster right now consists of a disgruntled superstar post, a bunch of homogeneous combo guards, and 1 really promising rookie. We'll see what happens there, but I'm going with Collier because she can fill multiple holes in their frontcourt rotation. .[/quote]

Here is the question - is A'ja Wilson really a four?

In terms of minutes this year, Las Vegas looked like this (without factoring in total games played, though outside of Jefferson, every player played in at least 24 games):

1. A'ja Wilson - 30.6
2. Kayla McBride - 32.3
3. Tamera Young - 26.7
4. Kelsey Plum - 25.5
5. Dearica Hamby - 14.4
6. Moriah Jefferson - 15.7
7. Nia Coffey - 13.8
8. Carolyn Swords - 14.4
9. Lindsay Allen - 14.9
10. Kelsey Bone - 10.8
11. JiSu Park - 13.0

I have not calculated the +/- numbers and efficiency ratings for Wilson at the 4 vs. Wilson at the 5. And there were times that a default center started for defensive purposes against some of the really talented veteran centers.

But Las Vegas needs the second front court player - whether a forward or center - to be able to contribute both offensively and defensively. Swords, Bone, and Park could not do that.

Kalani Brown and Teaira McCowan have yet to show their ability to be anything other than centers. They do not have the ability to face-up and hit outside shots on a consistent basis.

If I were AFO/Bill Laimbeer, I would consider trading a few spots down and looking at Napheesa Collier or Ezi Magbagor. Collier will fit well next to Wilson and has expanded range, passing abilities, good athleticism, and the ability to be a primary or secondary scorer (though she is only 6-1/6-2). If Laimbeer wants to take a chance on Magbagor as a young, but incredibly athletic face-up 4 with quick 1st step attacking abilities at 6-4 (but does not yet have the shooting range), that could also be a very good pick a few years down the road.

The bigger question is if we assume that Las Vegas gets the #2 pick, with which team could a trade be made.[/quote]

Brown has shown a solid midrange game and ability to take defenders off the dribble....I think she’d be a great fit alongside Wilson. McCowan would eat up too much space inside and have the same effect on A’ja that Coates did. That said, if they get the 2 pick I think they should take KLS. Another lights out perimeter player will make Vegas incredibly dangerous. Slides in perfectly at the 3. Another idea is trade away Jefferson for NY’s 4th pick and try to get Collier there.

Very open draft next year though. I could see a lot of players having huge years and significantly improving their stock a la Kelsey Plum in 2017 or Zahui B in 2015.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/23/18 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whichever two teams get the first and second picks of the 2019 draft they will be drafting McCowen and Brown. All four lottery teams need a tall dominant post player. Only two teams will get lucky.

PostPosted: 08/23/18 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Whichever two teams get the first and second picks of the 2019 draft they will be drafting McCowen and Brown. All four lottery teams need a tall dominant post player. Only two teams will get lucky.

+1 Agreed will they keep them should be the question.

PostPosted: 08/23/18 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know how to set up a poll or spell so I will just put it here.

With no early entries which of the top 6 college players will have the best pro career?

K. Brown
T. McCowan
KLS
A. Durr
A. Ogunbowale
N. Collier
Other (and who)?

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/24/18 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of course it's a roll of the dice ...

But I lean toward Durr or Ogwunbale ... I'm just not convinced either post is athletic enough to be a top-shelf WNBA player.

Now I could be completely wrong, as there's almost no way to predict with all of these players, as they all have significant strengths coupled with at least one question mark.

PostPosted: 08/24/18 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Problem is the posts are not dominant separately ala W quality as 1 has no offense and the other had to be sat as she couldn't keep up with the pace of quick teams. And Clay most teams want some semblance of understanding of defense from guards, zone is not going to help you for the W and the other plays no D. If 1 of the posts shows improvement in their weak areas that will be the icing for most GMs.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/24/18 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I lean toward Durr or Ogwunbale

You lean towards them for what, to be the top picks? Historically guards are top picks only in weak drafts, except maybe 2004, if you consider Taurasi a guard back then, and 2006 which was a strong guard class. This is not a weak draft.

ClayK wrote:
I'm just not convinced either post is athletic enough to be a top-shelf WNBA player.

What’s the standard? If you’re 6’7 you’ve got to be at least as athletic as Cambage as a rookie? Cambage couldn’t do a push-up as a rookie. McCowan hits the weights.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 08/24/18 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I don't know how to set up a poll or spell so I will just put it here.

With no early entries which of the top 6 college players will have the best pro career?

K. Brown
T. McCowan
KLS
A. Durr
A. Ogunbowale
N. Collier
Other (and who)?

I think Clay was responding to this question.

For what it is worth I agree with Clay I think Durr or Ogunbowale will have the best careers out of this year top draft candidates barring early entry from Ionescu.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/24/18 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Disagree. Their last escapade in 3x3 showed how much they are not elite. They couldn't even make the final rounds with a USA coach, while the other teams had no coach and training at USA. There seems something is off with these players.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 3 of 74

Jump to: