RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Chicago Sky 2019
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sigur3

PostPosted: 08/20/18 8:30 am    ::: Chicago Sky 2019 Reply Reply with quote

Well, here we are again. Never too early to start dreaming of more lottery picks and new head coaches.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/20/18 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two priorities: a) Find an actual starting power forward. Don't care if it's in the draft, free agency, trade, whatever. A genuine starting-calibre 4 would fill a glaring hole.
b) Sort the coaching out. I'd be sorely tempted to dump Stocks and see what else can be pulled out of the pool, personally. I'm still not convinced that she knows what she's doing. The defense this season was a disaster, and while there are some tricky building blocks - Sloot/Quigley on the perimeter is never going to be great at the point of attack, and Dolson doesn't exactly clean up everything behind them - I think a decent coach could get them up to average.

The positive is that there's quite a bit of talent here. One of the best point guards in the league, a potential star in DeShields, pure scorer with Quigley, solid enough 5 with Dolson, some young talent on the bench. This team shouldn't be as bad as they were this season.

PostPosted: 08/20/18 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Having two less-than-franchise rookies as starters is never a winning formula. Just ask Indiana.

It’s tough finding a WNBA PF in the draft because most college PF are too small to do the job in the WNBA. Powers, Maya, Coffey, Hooper, etc, were all college PF’s. Gabby and Clark were centers. The Parkers, Stewarts, Ogwumike, and Wilsons (all #1 picks) don’t come around too often, so ideally you find a nice center conversion project, like Charles (also a #1 pick). Chicago probably needs a well-timed #1 pick, but for a prominent PF, this isn’t that year. Last year was that year.

Last year with Wilson gone, CHI had the same problem of needing a PF but there wasn’t an ideal choice at #4. So the question became, do you stretch all the way down to Billings at #4? In hindsight, maybe. But that would have thoroughly violated the best player available rule.

Anyway, who are the potential PF’s in this draft? Maybe Turner, Magbegor, or Shepard if she keeps trimming down. Collier and Howard are on the short side. CHI already has a short PF, so they should probably avoid them. There’s a senior year to be played, but Howard as a lottery pick would most likely be similar to Billings as a lottery pick last year.

As far as free agency, I could see MIN & CHI fighting over Langhorne. She’ll probably end up being overpaid again.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/20/18 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The structure of the team must change in order for the team to improve on the defensive side. I will not say that Chicago needs a new power forward. Chicago has a player by the name of Parker that was underutilized this current season. I will say that Dolson has not been a great rim protector for her entire basketball career.
Quigley is an excellent shooter, maybe one of the best pure shooters in WNBA history. She is horrible at playing defense. I'm not suggesting that Chicago get rid of any of these ladies. I'm just suggesting they would be better at being role players.
When it comes to coaching I will not say that Stocks needs to go now but if she continues to play Williams as the starting power forward then I will vote yes, she has to go. Williams got destroyed every game because she is too undersized to play the position in the WNBA.

PostPosted: 08/20/18 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm very disappointed Stocks didn't give Ndour an opportunity to play the 4.The combination of Sloot,Quigly,DeShields,Ndour and Dolson played a combined 12.8 minutes out of a possible 1380 minutes...Ndour had her best scoring games playing alongside J.Appel at PF.One of the jobs of a HC is to exhaust all possibilities.Stocks stubbornly stuck with Gabby and cost Chicago a playoff spot….Stocks defensive approach also played a huge role in the Sky not making the playoffs...When you have liabilities on defense,switching everything makes no sense.You’re basically doing what the opposition wants...Diamond starts the possession guarding the teams best wing player,but after one or two switches, Sloot or Parker is left on an island guarding Diamond's defensive assignment.

That being said,I would keep Stocks on a HC for another season.Chicago had a decent offense despite the hole at PF and Dolson having a down season.Stocks is well respected by her players.She holds all of her players equally accountable.Stocks isn’t afraid to cut a players minutes or give them a stern talking tongue lashing.

Top 5 priorities for Chicago this offseason:

1.The Power Forward position...Chicago has many options

a)Sign-G.Johnson

b)Trade-Harrison,Meesseman,Charles,Stokes(Any trade package would include Copper)

c)Draft-Collier

d)From within-Ndour or Parker(must improve defense and get in better shape)

2.Move Gabby to the bench[/b].Make her the 6th/7th Woman.

3.Dolson and Parker must improve their conditioning.

4.Defense,defense,defense.

5.Coach Stocks must mature as a HC...Recognize the mistakes she made this season,and correct them.Recognize her players weaknesses,and get them to improve by putting in the work during the offseason.Recognize the teams weaknesses,and make the necessary adjustments.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/20/18 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know if Parker and Dolson were terribly out of shape. I just believe they do not have great foot speed.

PostPosted: 08/20/18 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Comparing rookie seasons:

Loyd-10.7/3.5r/1.9a/0.5s/0.2b/41%/21%/90% in 25.6 mpg

McBride-13.0p/2.3r/1.7r/0.9s/0.1b/40%/39%/84% in 26.0 mpg

Nolan-7.1p/2.0r/1.1a/0.6s/0.2b/33%/29%/81% in 20.2 mpg

K.Smith-11.7p/2.9r/2.0a/0.6s/0.3b/38%/38%/76% in 30.4 mpg

McCoughtry-12.8p/3.1r/2.1a/2.1s/0.3b/47%/29%/74% in 21.6 mpg

Hayes-8.6p/3.1r/2.1a/0.8s/0.3s/39%/27%/78% in 23.1 mpg

Beard-13.1p/4.2r/2.7a/2.0s/1.0b/42%/37%/72% in 30.1 mpg

Augustus-21.9p/3.8r/1.5a/0.6s/0.5b/45%/35%/89% in 33.1 mpg

Taurasi-17.0p/4.4r/3.9a/1.2s/0.7b/41%/33%/76% in 33.2 mpg

Douglas-7.0p/2.3r/1.8a/1.7s/0.3b/36%/31%/72% in 20.0 mpg

DeShields-14.4p/4.9r/2.2a/1.1s/0.2b/42%/33%/83% in 28.5 mpg

Great Job Diamond.

zune69

PostPosted: 08/20/18 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
I don't know if Parker and Dolson were terribly out of shape. I just believe they do not have great foot speed.

Dolson was definitely out of shape.The Chicago broadcasters made mention of it during one of the game telecast....Parker looked much more thicker Wink than she has in previous seasons....But I agree with you,both players aren't the fastest.......Ndour should be given a shot at PF.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/20/18 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Parker had the best season of her career by a country mile, so if that's out of shape she should come in out of shape every year.

PostPosted: 08/20/18 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Parker had the best season of her career by a country mile, so if that's out of shape she should come in out of shape every year.

Or maybe she can continue to improve her conditioning,foot speed and defense.....Parker had a good season offensively but her defense sucked....Based on offense,Parker should easily be the starting PF right now.Unfortunately,when Parker got the opportunity to start,she choked...on offense and defense.

sigur3

PostPosted: 08/20/18 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Sky had a chance to draft a "real PF" a few months ago but went with two SFs instead. Another sharp move.

Parker was in fine shape.

Dolson....maybe not. But she's always been slow afoot and will always be a liability defensively as a result. IMO you're not going to be able to build an acceptable defense with her playing so many minutes.

I could roll with Izzy or Collier. I doubt Meesseman is going anywhere and if Charles leaves it sure as hell won't be for here. Don't want Glory or Stokes unless the price is very low. I do agree that Copper might be on her way out though.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/20/18 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

She looked a lot stronger this season

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 08/20/18 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not to exciting but might help

Copper for Coffey

Copper and 2nd round pick #15 for Lavender

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/20/18 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nm
Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/20/18 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Dolson....maybe not. But she's always been slow afoot and will always be a liability defensively as a result. IMO you're not going to be able to build an acceptable defense with her playing so many minutes.

Thibault did it a couple of times in Washington, with noted defensive stalwarts like Ivory Latta and Kara Lawson playing in front of her (and a young and raw Meesseman next to her).

PostPosted: 08/20/18 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I will wait until I find out the Sky's draft position and what free agents are available in 2019 to make a decision on which direction the team should go towards adding players to improve the team.
The Chicago ownership must establish clear goals for HC Stocks to achieve in 2019 for her to keep her job. Winning at least 17 games and making the playoffs should be the goals for the Sky for 2019.

PostPosted: 08/20/18 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dolson needs to come into camp next season in shape. If they land the #3 pick, I'd take Collier. #1 or #2 makes you question if they'd trade the pick or trade Dolson.

PG: Vandersloot/Faulkner/Harper or #15 pick
SG: Quigley/Copper
SF: DeShields/Williams
PF: Parker/Collier/Ndour
C: Dolson/Coates

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/20/18 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Dolson needs to come into camp next season in shape. If they land the #3 pick, I'd take Collier. #1 or #2 makes you question if they'd trade the pick or trade Dolson.

If they trade the pick in favor of dolson , Stocks needs to have her ass sent to her via Fedex package behind the rest of her body .

PostPosted: 08/20/18 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

If they trade the pick in favor of dolson , Stocks needs to have her ass sent to her via Fedex package behind the rest of her body .

Stocks enjoys her buttocks attached to her body so this scenario will NOT take place. Laughing

PostPosted: 08/20/18 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sky had the worst defensive rating in the WNBA but were mid-pack in Offensive Rating. Maybe they need to improve their defense. BTW - the bottom 5 teams had the worst 5 DR numbers. Perhaps there is something to this.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/20/18 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

So you want them to take another undersized paint player who is less athletic than Williams and doesn't pass or see the floor as well. That makes sense Rolling Eyes

zune69

PostPosted: 08/20/18 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Chicago ends up with the 3rd pick,I would:

Offer the 3rd pick to Washington for Emma Meesseman

G-Sloot
G-Quigley
C-Dolson
F-Meesseman
F-DeShields
6-Gabby
7-Parker
8-Ndour
9-Copper
10-Coates

This team would definitely make some noise in the playoffs.

Last edited by zune69 on 08/20/18 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 08/20/18 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why do we think Meeseman will choose to come over to play anywhere except for Mike? I dunno but am guessing it would make her less likely to come.

- Amanda Gorman
zune69

PostPosted: 08/20/18 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Why do we think Meeseman will choose to come over to play anywhere except for Mike? I dunno but am guessing it would make her less likely to come.

Meesseman and Dolson are close friends.

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/13140600/how-stefanie-dolson-brought-best-emma-meesseman

Quote:
"She taught her how to yell," Mystics guard Kara Lawson recalled recently. "Stef would scream and then she wanted Emma to match her volume, have her say words, our coverages and yell them. Her point was just, 'Emma, I know you can scream. You just proved you can scream. You gotta have that volume on the court.'"

Quote:
Meesseman, who has only 50 percent of her hearing in both ears, couldn't have had a better teacher than Dolson, who personifies volume, from her purple-dyed hair to her gregarious personality.

Quote:
The two have become close friends over the past year, helping each other mature and becoming one of the best young frontcourts in the league. Though she is still working on it, Meesseman has become more vocal and more of a team leader

Quote:
"Stef has brought it out for her," Mystics coach Mike Thibault said. "They've developed a really good bond between them. You can see it when they play together on the court."

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/20/18 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

oooh this is new, any extra stuff on Emma not wanting to play for Mike and maybe she wants to be the main 4 on the floor?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 1 of 22

Jump to: