Board Junkies Forums

Emma Meesseman
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/17/18 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
DC was pretty good last year when they moved EDD to the 3 spot, with EM at the 4 and Thomas at the 5. Not seeing why EDD, EM and Sanders couldn't also play together. Doubt Thibault would even consider trading her, as the opportunity to do the above would give the Mystics a ton of flexibility with matchups. Small lineups, hybrid lineups and big lineups would all be a possibility for them.

That was the line up that lost them the most games.

Yeah actually you're right. 2-4 with that lineup late in the season along with the win over NY in the playoffs before losing to Minnesota. So I can't use prior success as an example. Might have been necessitated more by injuries than anything.

I would still, however, think that a front line of EDD-EM-Sanders with possibly a healthier Thomas would still be more versatile than starting Currie again next year. And Currie is still always there if you want to mix and match certain types of lineups. And there's Powers too. Though I'd wonder if her floor game suits Thibault''s offensive preferences as a starter instead of as a change of pace sub.

Knowing that Thibault likes EM a lot and schemes for his talent...and also thinking that the lottery teams likely would value their lottery pick over EM (in some cases it might be debatable) I don't think a trade would be likely anyway.

PostPosted: 08/17/18 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Currie isn't the regular starter. It's been Cloud/Toliver/Atkins on the perimeter for a while now as long as all three are healthy.

No harm in bringing Meesseman back as EDD insurance, and to play both with her and when she's resting. Not know ing for sure whether she'll be there or not is actually a lot smoother than Cambage in Dallas, where their entire style and set-up is different depending on whether she's there or not. Meesseman just makes you stronger and deeper without having to change everything.

PostPosted: 08/17/18 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

EDD is gonna miss games. She's missed five this season. She averages missing 7.5 per year. Having Meesseman to fall back on is better than many teams have.

PostPosted: 08/17/18 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
There aren't that many big bigs in the league. Cambage is probably leaving. Fowles is getting older. So there's Griner and the two coming in. I think only one of those will have much immediate impact. So all in all I think the league will be moving more and more to two mobile bigs - look at what Seattle is using and how successful they've been without a true big.

I think people overrate how big of an "issue" the defense of EDD+Emma lineups are. It's not like we're a good defensive team without Emma...

zune69

PostPosted: 08/17/18 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

EDD and Emma could definitely work at the 4/5 as long as they committed themselves to help-side defense and rebounding Washington would be a more prolific offensive team than they already are......EDD/Emma at the 3/4 is an absolute No!....Too many negatives on both sides of the basketball.

RP

PostPosted: 08/18/18 8:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
I think people overrate how big of an "issue" the defense of EDD+Emma lineups are. It's not like we're a good defensive team without Emma...

The starting lineup is. Hawkins at the 5 is problematic but unavoidable right now.

The sample size is small and barely had any continuity, but Delle Donne-Meesseeman should generally favor the Mystics in 3-4 lineups. At the 4 and 5, that pair needs to be used more selectively--which is fine since Emma will be the sixth woman.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: