RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Trump Revokes John Brennan's Security Clearance
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/15/18 2:16 pm    ::: Trump Revokes John Brennan's Security Clearance Reply Reply with quote

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/08/15/donald-trump-revokes-john-brennans-security-clearance/999340002/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Stonington_QB

PostPosted: 08/15/18 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All former government (and private) employees should have their security clearances revoked at their former place of business.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/15/18 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
All former government (and private) employees should have their security clearances revoked at their former place of business.

Do you have any understanding of why that doesn't happen in national security?

Do you have any understanding of how the security clearances work?

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 08/15/18 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

Malcolm Nance refers to the blind followers as the "crazy 23%". It's the lowest number at which any POTUS can bottom out at, in terms of popularity. IOW, even Nixon maintained the "crazy 23%". IOW, if Chump DID shoot someone in the middle of 5th Ave, he would maintain a 23% approval rating.

So, for some folks, nothing matters, even reality.

Btw, Chump can fire and revoke all he wants- it doesn't make these people's testimony disappear. Laughing

He's such a big baby chickenshit bully pussy.

PostPosted: 08/15/18 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It all comes down to the midterms. If the Democrats can take control of the House there will be a real, public investigation. If not the rule of law will be completely subverted. Mueller will be fired because Trump will have no check on him. As I have said before, I believe there are enough grownups in the Senate on the Republican side that if presented with a well documented impeachment, they will vote to convict. But without a Democrat-led House that will not happen.

I still have faith that the American people will vote to put a check on Trump, but I am getting scared.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 08/16/18 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
It all comes down to the midterms. If the Democrats can take control of the House there will be a real, public investigation. If not the rule of law will be completely subverted. Mueller will be fired because Trump will have no check on him. As I have said before, I believe there are enough grownups in the Senate on the Republican side that if presented with a well documented impeachment, they will vote to convict. But without a Democrat-led House that will not happen.

I still have faith that the American people will vote to put a check on Trump, but I am getting scared.

You should be. Florida is primed for more of their typical voting shenanigans. There are LESS registered voters there now than for the 2016 election. There has been hacking into registration rolls in addition to tens of thousands of names being improperly removed. Expect both Trump and Rick Scott to win extremely close races there.

The architect of Crosscheck, (the program responsible for illegally removing millions of voter registrations across the country), Kris Kobach, won his primary for gov of Kansas by 345, out of 300,000+ cast votes. Btw, until public outcry scared him off, KK was going to oversee the recount of his own race. (Apparently his opponent has conceded).

And of course, Republicans defunded election security legislation.

IOW, nothing has changed since 2016.

PostPosted: 08/16/18 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

You should be. Florida is primed for more of their typical voting shenanigans. There are LESS registered voters there now than for the 2016 election. There has been hacking into registration rolls in addition to tens of thousands of names being improperly removed. Expect both Trump and Rick Scott to win extremely close races there.

The architect of Crosscheck, (the program responsible for illegally removing millions of voter registrations across the country), Kris Kobach, won his primary for gov of Kansas by 345, out of 300,000+ cast votes. Btw, until public outcry scared him off, KK was going to oversee the recount of his own race. (Apparently his opponent has conceded).

And of course, Republicans defunded election security legislation.

IOW, nothing has changed since 2016.

Including Trump's numbers. He is a historically unpopular president, but he is no less popular now than he was when he was elected.

tfan

PostPosted: 08/16/18 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

The alleged reason is so that Brennan can give advice. But with the track record of the CIA, that advice could have negative value or be unethical or illegal.

Quote:

What pertinent information is he potentially lacking? I have had a security clearance before and my understanding was that if you exit the company you lose your clearance unless you immediately go to work for a company who requires it.

tfan

PostPosted: 08/16/18 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Including Trump's numbers. He is a historically unpopular president, but he is no less popular now than he was when he was elected.

It occurred to me that Trump appeared to underpoll with a lot less negative press than he has had post election. He could be underpolling even more now. But he also ran against a candidate who was also historically unpopular. He probably won't have that advantage in 2020.

Scott Adams said he asked his African immigrant cab driver in DC what he thought of Trump. He said something mild like "A lot of people around here don't like him, but I actually think he's OK." He said that in a taxi cab with the windows closed, but he lowered his voice when he said it. Which seems to reflect the problem polsters may have.

justintyme

PostPosted: 08/16/18 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

Scott Adams

Yeah, that is a source I would trust with anything, and isn't someone who seems to have fallen in love with his own self-perceived brilliance.

PostPosted: 08/16/18 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The GOP is the Party of Pussies, cowed by the pussy grabber.

Not one stands for democracy, or the constitution.

PostPosted: 08/16/18 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Scott Adams said he asked his African immigrant cab driver in DC what he thought of Trump. He said something mild like "A lot of people around here don't like him, but I actually think he's OK." He said that in a taxi cab with the windows closed, but he lowered his voice when he said it. Which seems to reflect the problem polsters may have.

Given Africa's history with Real Dictators (as opposed to Dictator wannabes) like Idi Amin, Habre, Omar Al-bashir, Siad Barre, Macias Nguema, Sekou Toure, Sani Abacha, Mugabe and many others....this fella probably thinks Trump resembles Ward Cleaver. He just might not represent a voice of reasoned critical thinking. Hardly impresses me as representative of the *Underpolled*.

Now us--usn's here at Rebs: How many of US have been polled and given an opportunity to share our opinions in any official poll? I was called exactly once, asked to reply on a variety of questions. After the first question, when asked if I was voting for Trump, I was promptly hung up on when I said "No". Whaddya know? Cherry-picking our survey field??

PostPosted: 08/16/18 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
tfan wrote:

Given Africa's history with Real Dictators (as opposed to Dictator wannabes) like Idi Amin, Habre, Omar Al-bashir, Siad Barre, Macias Nguema, Sekou Toure, Sani Abacha, Mugabe and many others....this fella probably thinks Trump resembles Ward Cleaver. He just might not represent a voice of reasoned critical thinking. Hardly impresses me as representative of the *Underpolled*.

Now us--usn's here at Rebs: How many of US have been polled and given an opportunity to share our opinions in any official poll? I was called exactly once, asked to reply on a variety of questions. After the first question, when asked if I was voting for Trump, I was promptly hung up on when I said "No". Whaddya know? Cherry-picking our survey field??

The political parties, campaigns and special interests will poll, in addition to the general pollsters.

I am having trouble finding an article analyzing why Trump was behind in the polls ( I assume some were done on a state basis to predict electoral outcome) virtually the entire race and yet won. I was looking at a New York Times prediction of the outcome throughout Election Day and I believe it started out with Clinton at 99% chance of victory.

But I don’t think it can be said that Trump is now where he was in the pre-election polls. “Do you approve of Trump’s job in office? “ is different than “Are you voting for Trump, Clinton, Stein or Johnson?

Last edited by tfan on 08/16/18 8:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
justintyme

PostPosted: 08/16/18 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
How many of US have been polled and given an opportunity to share our opinions in any official poll?

Just about every poll I have ever been contacted for has turned out to be a push-poll for one side or the other.

"Candidate 1 has gone on record saying she supports a policy that some believe will lead to the government to impose death panels potentially killing your elderly loved ones while costing the country over 100 trillion dollars by one estimate.

Candidate 2 enjoys spending time with his grandkids and loves kittens.

If the election were held today, which candidate would you vote for".

I mean, I fucking hate cats. Who do you think I'm gonna say I'm voting for after you push me like that!

PostPosted: 08/16/18 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am polled often, particularly this year because we have very competitive Senate and Governor races as well as a highly funded question on energy deregulation. I'd say perhaps a third are push polls. Generally speaking I will answer the questions after "additional information" is given in a way contrary to the way I'm being pushed. "So and so says Prop 3 will increase energy costs to 95% pf Nevadans. Does this make you more or less likely to vote for Prop 3" Answer - more likely.

If the pollsters want to screw with me then I will screw with them.

Stonington_QB

PostPosted: 08/17/18 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

Actually yes I DO know how they work because I have security clearances in DC at the moment for a few highly restricted government / military locations. And I expect to lose them once I'm done there. You'd be amazed the personal information you have to give to people you don't trust just to get a pass in some places.

Now tell me... what don't I understand about that since you're the expert here?

Howee

PostPosted: 08/18/18 12:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:

You're either ignorant of or willfully disregarding the CRITERIA by which revocations are determined. And it's absurd to make the false equivalence between yourself and the level of clearance needed by Brennan.

Brennan did not run afoul in any of the established criteria for this action: it was a purely punitive move for voicing opposition to the President's policies and strategies. It's a strong-arm move by a weak-minded power-hungry dictator-wannabe.

PostPosted: 08/18/18 7:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

You're either ignorant of or willfully disregarding the CRITERIA by which revocations are determined. And it's absurd to make the false equivalence between yourself and the level of clearance needed by Brennan.

Brennan did not run afoul in any of the established criteria for this action: it was a purely punitive move for voicing opposition to the President's policies and strategies. It's a strong-arm move by a weak-minded power-hungry dictator-wannabe.

I think the main motivation for the scumbag is to weaken witness testimony. I think all but one of the punished win were involved in the Mueller investigation.

What we're watching is Chump's attempt at autocracy and the GOP's complicity therein. It's both pathetic and alarming.

Anyone w/ even a modicum of honesty, or rational thought, should agree.

PostPosted: 08/18/18 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

I think the main motivation for the scumbag is to weaken witness testimony. I think all but one of the punished win were involved in the Mueller investigation.

I really don't believe that he is concerned about anything other than maintaining his base, and continuing to push his absurd narrative. He believes he is not accountable to the courts (where facts might actually matter.) His only concern is holding on to his support in Congress. The comments of Senators Graham, Kennedy and Hatch to go along with him stripping Brennan of his security clearance was sad, but it shows once more how far the spineless Republicans are willing to be pushed.

The worst part of Trump's gambit is that in the list of people he put out, several already had lost their clearance (Comey, McCabe and Strzok) and others, to the extent they have and use their clearances, would only be done in service of the various security agencies in trying to keep this country safe. It is not as if they receive daily briefings on the confidential info of the day. The only basis for putting this out was to intimidate and to switch the narrative. The sloppiness with which it was done as far as the date of the memo and the inclusion of people for which the action would be moot make this more troubling. Trump sees no value of confidential information from a national security standpoint; he sees it only through a lens of personal benefit.

Howee

PostPosted: 08/18/18 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
The only basis for putting this out was to intimidate and to switch the narrative.

It's called "Omarosa has him really torqued, and how fast can he change up THAT news cycle!" Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 08/18/18 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

Doesn’t seem false equivalence to me. A company could wish they could consult with some employee who was top notch in their knowledge and/or skills even more than the top guys at the CIA feel a need to get the opinion of another old blowhard manager. With the WMD fiasco, previous management experience at the CIA should be distained.

Quote:

Rand Paul should be getting a lot of the venom for the clearance revocations as he went to Trump and made the case and request to do it. Brennan has been heavily critical of Trump and even accused him of treason at one point. You want to keep a working relationship with the spook agencies, don’t trash their boss.

tfan

PostPosted: 08/18/18 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Howee wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

I have heard Maddow is floating the theory that these people have incriminating classified evidence against the Trump campaign that they will no longer be able to access. If they had something they would have either brought charges against the Trump campaign at the time, or notified Meuller of the existence of this alleged evidence.

Howee

PostPosted: 08/18/18 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Howee wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

Doesn’t seem false equivalence to me.

Yep. It is. Whether you like Brennan or not, there's a HUGE difference between a contracted worker with limited need-to-know for a brief time, and the former CIA director.

Again, the actual 'problem' with Brennan no longer cleared is far outweighed by a dictator-wannabe using political animus as his criteria for such revocations. Keep looking for the Bigger Picture here.

PostPosted: 08/18/18 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Again, the actual 'problem' with Brennan no longer cleared is far outweighed by a dictator-wannabe using political animus as his criteria for such revocations.

I really think you've got this backwards.

The purported reason for people like Brennan keeping a security clearance after office is so that the new administration can consult with them about classified matters. It is Brennan who has exhibited historically unprecedented levels of political and personal animus, as a former spook chief, against the sitting president for over a year, using his security clearance as a resume credential to get himself profitable pundit gigs on anti-Trump cable channels.

After his behavior, there is NO CHANCE that anyone in the CIA or Trump administration would ever consult with Brennan or trust anything he would say. Hence, the entire rationale for his having a security clearance does not exist. Even worse, it is not irrational for the Trump administration to believe that Brennan is so partisanly unhinged that he would even use classified information against Trump. That's another reason to take away his clearance.

The same goes for all the other bitterly anti-Trump former/fired/demoted security officials such as Comey, McCabe, Ohr, Strzok, Paige, Yates, etc. No one in the administration will ever consult with them about classified matters or trust them with ongoing classified information. Therefore, some of them already have had their clearances pulled when they were let go -- about which absolutely no one complained or even noticed. Probably because none of them were popular, over-the-top Trump-trashing pundits on anti-Trump TV programs like Brennan (and Clapper).

In addition, taking away his security clearance (which is a privilege, not a right) does not affect Brennan's ability to keep on doing exactly what he's been doing, to keep on exercising his right to free speech. Brennan has said that, Trump has said that, and everyone should realize it.

For these same reasons, it would be absurd if Hillary Clinton still has a security clearance. There is no rationale for it.
justintyme

PostPosted: 08/18/18 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That is, in fact, not the only reason people keep their security clearances. Most members who leave the military maintain their active security clearances as it gives them a huge advantage over non-cleared individuals in getting private sector jobs (especially ones that deal with government contracts). Every single one of my friends who were former military and had a security clearance, two of which were at top secret clearance, still have theirs active and continually re-up them when required.

Don't make it seem like what Trump is doing is normal. It is far from that Security clearances are very seldom yanked from people who had them. When they expire it is almost always because the individual chooses to let them lapse. And when they are revoked, it is almost always because of a criminal conviction, criminal charge, or some other disqualifying offense committed by the individual that would cause them to fail a background check. It cannot be stressed enough how exceptionally rare having a security clearance revoked without cause is.

This is simply more autocratic behavior by a president who cannot abide people who say mean things about him, and thus wants to punish them.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: