Board Junkies Forums

The WNBA's Mount Rushmore
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spark4Life

PostPosted: 08/07/18 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Spark4Life wrote:
The lack of love for Tina Thompson in this thread is a bit shocking.

It would be more shocking if someone considered her to be one of the top four players in league history.

I wouldn't be shocked.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/07/18 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If we use historical analogy, Mt. Rushmore was begun in 1927, 138 years after the first presidential inauguration. The WNBA's measly 20 year existence would be the equivalent of the year 1809, at which point only two Rushmoreans had finished their presidencies, Washington and Jefferson. Therefore, only two WNBA players, at most, should qualify at this infantile point in WNBA history.

Taurasi
Leslie
#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 08/07/18 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A small case could be made for Parker, only thing holding her back is one title, but Parker always brings the goods, and brought excitement to the league when she joined.
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/07/18 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spark4Life wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Spark4Life wrote:

It would be more shocking if someone considered her to be one of the top four players in league history.

I wouldn't be shocked.

I would be *completely* shocked.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 08/07/18 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
If we use historical analogy, Mt. Rushmore was begun in 1927, 138 years after the first presidential inauguration. The WNBA's measly 20 year existence would be the equivalent of the year 1809, at which point only two Rushmoreans had finished their presidencies, Washington and Jefferson. Therefore, only two WNBA players, at most, should qualify at this infantile point in WNBA history.

Taurasi
Leslie

But if you had to have finished their career, Taurasi wouldn't qualify.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 08/08/18 1:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For me, the two no-brainers are Taurasi & Catchings. Next up for me is Sheryl Swoopes, the OG, in my book. I never saw Cynthia Cooper play and I don't necessarily believe she would dominate today like she did then. Lastly, Sue Bird, because she's probably the most recognizable player in the history of the sport and has won more on all levels than anyone else.

Richard 77

PostPosted: 08/08/18 4:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I re-read the article. I guess I'm going to have to disagree with it. The actual Mt. Rushmore of the WNBA should probably be:

Daniel Stern
Val Ackerman
Cynthia Cooper
Lisa Leslie

Choices are being made due to popularity of players, careers and statistics. Shouldn't be if it weren't for those involved in its creation, there would be no WNBA, thus making this discussion... well, there'd be no discussion.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
ucbart

PostPosted: 08/08/18 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Spark4Life wrote:

Me too. Tina, IMO was made to look better than she actually was by the teams she played on and where the league was talent wise.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 08/10/18 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When I click on that link, I keep getting a "404 - Page Not Found. The articles went that way..." And it leads back to the main page. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 08/10/18 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Spark4Life wrote:

Me too. Tina, IMO was made to look better than she actually was by the teams she played on and where the league was talent wise.

Really? I don’t think she’s a Mount Rushmore pick but I think Tina is being extremely underrated here.

PostPosted: 08/12/18 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Cooper to recognise the league's origins and the initial superstar; Jackson as the next transitional great and to acknowledge the league's somewhat global reach; Taurasi for the transition into the next generation and the more modern attitude; Catchings for everything.

But man that means some painful omissions.

My four:

Cooper
Taurasi
Jackson
Bird

Then...

Taylor
Catchings

Next..

Swoopes
Thompson

Reluctantly...

Leslie
Moore

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 08/12/18 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cooper2009 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Spark4Life wrote:

Really? I don’t think she’s a Mount Rushmore pick but I think Tina is being extremely underrated here.

X______

TT was as good an inside outside 4 the league has seen. In her prime she stacks up against Parker, Delle Donne, and Stewart. She could mix it up inside with a variety of moves and step outside and hit those ridiculous rainbow threes. She was a tough check on both ends of the floor, I'm sure LL and LJ would attest to that.

Spark4Life

PostPosted: 08/15/18 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
Cooper2009 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Spark4Life wrote:

X______

TT was as good an inside outside 4 the league has seen. In her prime she stacks up against Parker, Delle Donne, and Stewart. She could mix it up inside with a variety of moves and step outside and hit those ridiculous rainbow threes. She was a tough check on both ends of the floor, I'm sure LL and LJ would attest to that.

Exsctly.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/15/18 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think anyone is disputing that TT was a great player, but until Mt Rushmore undergoes an expansion it's a pretty difficult place to get onto.
Depending on how you define positions and how much you value peak ability over longevity, it could be arguable whether TT is even on the Mt Rushmore of WNBA power forwards IMO.

I find this task pretty much impossible but for tonight I'll go with
Catchings
Jackson
Taurasi
Cooper

PostPosted: 08/16/18 2:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Swoopes
LJ
Cooper
Birdy

miller40

PostPosted: 08/16/18 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mb1 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Cooper to recognise the league's origins and the initial superstar; Jackson as the next transitional great and to acknowledge the league's somewhat global reach; Taurasi for the transition into the next generation and the more modern attitude; Catchings for everything.

But man that means some painful omissions.

My four:

Cooper
Taurasi
Jackson
Bird

Then...

Taylor
Catchings

Next..

Swoopes
Thompson

Reluctantly...

Leslie
Moore

Penny Taylor before Tamika Catchings?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: