RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Fred Williams and Exec Greg Bibb involved in altercation.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 08/13/18 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How many games has Skylar been out the last 3 weeks, 3 ? How many games has Liz been out the last 3 weeks, 2 ? It's possible the Wings record could've been 19 and 12 instead of 14 and 17 if both Skylar and Liz weren't unable to play the games they were injured.

By the way, does Greg Bibb usually travel with the Wings or did he make it a special occasion to travel with the team to fire Fred Williams after a loss. I wonder if Bibb took it in account that the Wings were playing a very good team on the 2nd day of a back to backer without Liz Cambage.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/13/18 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
How many games has Skylar been out the last 3 weeks, 3 ? How many games has Liz been out the last 3 weeks, 2 ? It's possible the Wings record could've been 19 and 12 instead of 14 and 17 if both Skylar and Liz weren't unable to play the games they were injured.

Diggins has missed two games

Considering the Wings have a losing record in games Cambage plays and in the games Diggins plays, Why would anyone expect either to equal an automatic win?

PostPosted: 08/13/18 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

The camera guy kinda coaxed positive things out of her after it appeared like she didn’t want to say anything. She also said it’s a “business and we’re professionals”. I interpret that as it shouldn’t affect any goals moving forward this season. If they get sign an obviously good coach (not Thibault), it probably won’t affect her staying with the team. Diggins has been there 6 years. That’s long enough to establish some roots, although who knows.

Skylar's definitely an expert at dealing with the media...but I can only take SD at her word...If Skyler was indifferent about coach Williams,I highly doubt the phrase "We Love Coach Fred"..."We support Coach Fred" would've came out of her mouth...A simple "No Comment" would've been sufficient……...I’d hire E.Thibault as HC before Taj or Erin...But I think hiring a more experienced coach who’s had some success in the WNBA would be best...Skylar’s played 6 years for the same franchise...3 in Tulsa...3 in Dallas.

I hope everything works out.I don't want Cambage or Diggins to leave.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/13/18 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
Maybe they can trade Skylar for Epiphany and a second round pick. If Epiphany is healthy she can help Dallas. For Skylar, the market is much larger and it will grow her brand as well as helping the NY with their back court.

Laughing Wow. You let Skylar stay home and sit on her couch before you take a trade like that. Yeesh.

PostPosted: 08/13/18 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

Diggins has missed two games

Considering the Wings have a losing record in games Cambage plays and in the games Diggins plays, Why would anyone expect either to equal an automatic win?

Especially since the Wings loss games to some of the hotter teams in the league(Wash,Conn,ATL)....The Sky/Sun beat Dallas when Cambage/Diggins both played.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 08/13/18 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:

By the way, does Greg Bibb usually travel with the Wings or did he make it a special occasion to travel with the team to fire Fred Williams after a loss. I wonder if Bibb took it in account that the Wings were playing a very good team on the 2nd day of a back to backer without Liz Cambage.

He has been at every game when Dallas has come to Minnesota, so I’m assuming he goes to all the games.

Randy

PostPosted: 08/13/18 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not just Bibb, but apparently there were enough other "Wings staffers" around to break up the fight. From the article:

Quote:
According to a source present for the back-and-forth, Williams and Bibb had to be restrained by other Wings staffers,

https://highposthoops.com/2018/08/12/dallas-head-coach-fred-williams-executive-greg-bibb-involved-altercation/

I saw a Pacers pre-season game once where one of the players from the opposing team (New Orleans I think) punched his coach. He didn't make the team.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/13/18 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is so embarrassing for a franchise . Laughing stock of the league Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 08/13/18 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
This just appeared on the Wings web page of all places. Taj is Interim coach.

Wings.wnba.com/news/dallas-wings-relieve-fred-williams-of-coaching-duties/

Quote:
“Following today’s game, I made the decision to change direction in regards to our head coaching position,” stated President and CEO Greg Bibb. “I felt this move was necessary. The season has not met our expectations. I have asked Taj to serve as our interim head coach and I have the upmost confidence that she and our staff will do everything possible to put us in the best position to win. I wish Fred the best moving forward. Our focus remains on qualifying for the playoffs and ultimately competing for a WNBA championship.”

Finally! Very Happy

RavenDog

PostPosted: 08/13/18 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
This is so embarrassing for a franchise . Laughing stock of the league Rolling Eyes

By Fred and Bibb fighting or Taj's attire?

Randy

PostPosted: 08/13/18 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

By Fred and Bibb fighting or Taj's attire?

Laughing Laughing

Maybe they were fighting over Taj's attire. Or is it her tent?

lynxmania

PostPosted: 08/13/18 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Not just Bibb, but apparently there were enough other "Wings staffers" around to break up the fight. From the article:

Quote:
According to a source present for the back-and-forth, Williams and Bibb had to be restrained by other Wings staffers,

https://highposthoops.com/2018/08/12/dallas-head-coach-fred-williams-executive-greg-bibb-involved-altercation/

I saw a Pacers pre-season game once where one of the players from the opposing team (New Orleans I think) punched his coach. He didn't make the team.

Considering how small the travel parties are in the league, I would have to assume that their assistants (Taj and Erin), their athletic trainer, and maybe their Operations person are the staff they are referring to.

PRballer

PostPosted: 08/13/18 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Makes me sad. Their arena seemed louder and fuller this season and the team played HARD and chased the ball and ran the floor.

Didn't think it would end up like this.

Hoping the Wings organization figures it out because there is a lot of talent (and potential) for this to be a successful franchise.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/13/18 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

At least it took the focus off the Aces' forfeit. I'm thinking of sending thank you cards to Bibb and Fred.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/13/18 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

At least it took the focus off the Aces' forfeit. I'm thinking of sending thank you cards to Bibb and Fred.

It was well overdue , i kind of held out hope that they would let him finish the season with the team in mind . But 8 losses in a row , questionable line ups along with just not being good ended up being the deciding factor. No i dont not blame Bibb for 1 sec. Most likely the scenario went in a way where bibb let fred know in private that he was being relieved of his duties and fred started the commotion aloud and brought attention of others in which started the frenzy in DC. Fred seems mild mannered during games but he's a hot head when he feels he's been treated unfairly. Not sure why he would have that thought in this situation though . 3 seasons of under performing results would get anyone canned. Heck they would be gone by season 2.

PostPosted: 08/13/18 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fred Williams to the Liberty?

I think I would hang onto Smith in that scenario.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 08/14/18 12:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fred has always seemed like 'a nice guy' to me. Maybe too nice. I dunno. But dumping Chong for Romero was a real question mark for me. Then trying to play Davis at the point was brutal as well. How much any of that is Fred or Bibb - who really knows? Also I've always liked Hill, so maybe that trade won't in the long run turn out so terrible - especially since it seems like Powers had to go for some reasons unknown to most of us.

- Amanda Gorman
tfan

PostPosted: 08/14/18 12:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Fred has always seemed like 'a nice guy' to me. Maybe too nice. I dunno. But dumping Chong for Romero was a real question mark for me. Then trying to play Davis at the point was brutal as well. How much any of that is Fred or Bibb - who really knows? Also I've always liked Hill, so maybe that trade won't in the long run turn out so terrible - especially since it seems like Powers had to go for some reasons unknown to most of us.

As some have suggested, dumping Chong for Romero probably cost them some games. Fred may have had nothing to do with it as he is on the record as saying she caught his eye as a college freshman.

zune69

PostPosted: 08/14/18 1:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

I’d hire E.Thibault as HC before Taj or Erin...But I think hiring a more experienced coach who’s had some success in the WNBA would be best.

Let me clarify my comment......If Skylar signs a contract extension before next season(3-4 yrs)...Eric Thibault would be my #1 option(keep Phillips on staff)....If Skylar does not sign an extension I would go with a proven veteran HC....Skylar signing an extension would give Thibault enough time to prove his worth.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/14/18 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You're probably not going to see many stars signing long-term deals this summer with the CBA likely to be torn up at the end of next season.

PostPosted: 08/14/18 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

I’d hire E.Thibault as HC before Taj or Erin...But I think hiring a more experienced coach who’s had some success in the WNBA would be best.

Let me clarify my comment......If Skylar signs a contract extension before next season(3-4 yrs)...Eric Thibault would be my #1 option(keep Phillips on staff)....If Skylar does not sign an extension I would go with a proven veteran HC....Skylar signing an extension would give Thibault enough time to prove his worth.

I doubt you see Eric Thibault coaching the Dallas Wings with Greg Bibb as his boss when Eric can stay in the comfort of DC with his Dad as his boss

Randy

PostPosted: 08/14/18 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
zune69 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

I doubt you see Eric Thibault coaching the Dallas Wings with Greg Bibb as his boss when Eric can stay in the comfort of DC with his Dad as his boss

Dad's aren't always the easiest bosses to work for. Just ask my daughter.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/14/18 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
zune69 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Dad's aren't always the easiest bosses to work for. Just ask my daughter.

Easiest way to get a job. I have more respect for Carly Thibault.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
TigerVol

PostPosted: 08/14/18 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
You're probably not going to see many stars signing long-term deals this summer with the CBA likely to be torn up at the end of next season.

Which makes me appreciate Tiffany Hayes all the more. And must say something positive about the current staff and organization.

PostPosted: 08/14/18 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
Good riddance Fred. And I doubt Diggins or Liz will demand trades. They’d rather win with a better coach next season than leave.

Minnesota now needs a top tier point guard.... other than Maya and Syl who does Dallas want in a trade. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: